ADVERTISEMENT

Wake Forest Welcoming Committee

Are you sure he was a Wake Forest fan? Given what I read on these boards, I wouldnt be so sure.

It may have been ufo33 or VanHoosier dressed up as a Wake fan and sitting in Section 16.
It was homecoming today at Wake Forest and I would be absolutely shocked if there were more than 20,000 people at the game.

Now, granted, Wake Forest is a school of 7,500 total students. However, the main alumni section was absolutely vacant. I thought IU was bad but this was just sparse today. According to Wake fans, they didn't even sell out when they won the ACC title.
Overall, good fans. No taunting with the exception of a few that were really keyed in on the locker room material and were yelling at Wilson throughout the game.

Last edited:
It may have been ufo33 or VanHoosier dressed up as a Wake fan and sitting in Section 16.
It was homecoming today at Wake Forest and I would be absolutely shocked if there were more than 20,000 people at the game.
I wouldnt be shocked...Ive been to a few Iu homecomings like that.

Now, granted, Wake Forest is a school of 7,500 total students. However, the main alumni section was absolutely vacant. I thought IU was bad but this was just sparse today. According to Wake fans, they didn't even sell out when they won the ACC title.
Overall, good fans. No taunting with the exception of a few that were really keyed in on the locker room material and were yelling at Wilson throughout the game.
A crowd of 20,000 would have meant the stadium was basically 2/3 full. It wasn't close to that. Based on multiple crowd shots, there were probably 10,000 to 12,000 there.

Duke and UNC are about 40 miles away from Winston-Salem.
Both Duke and UNC also had home games yesterday (although
I don't know when their games started).

Also, Wake Forest has a smaller and less rabid alumni base
to attend their football games.

I know it was raining some. Was it cold? Not an excuse for attendance that poor, but would explain some of it.

Reactions: hawk434
IU fans really dont have a lot of room to make fun of other teams for poor attendance, especially when the weather isnt great.

I wish we could though.

Reactions: Lujo1986
I know it was raining some. Was it cold? Not an excuse for attendance that poor, but would explain some of it.

The weather kept a lot of people away.....it was spitting and drizzling most of the game but it never really "rained." And it wasn't exactly cold, chilly was more like it. Made you want to take a warm shower first thing.

Reactions: johnsos
Duke and UNC are about 40 miles away from Winston-Salem.
Both Duke and UNC also had home games yesterday (although
I don't know when their games started).

Also, Wake Forest has a smaller and less rabid alumni base
to attend their football games.

It's more like 80-90 miles to Duke, UNC and don't forget NC St. But I don't think it's so much that as it's just a small private school that struggles to keep pace in a big time conference in football. Which is worse: Wake getting 20,000 fans given that they are a small private school (7500 students sounds right) with a couple large state schools nearby, or IU which has hovered around 30K attendance for large chunks of many seasons with 35,000+ students and being the dominant state school? Let's not throw stones on this, our glass house already has a few broken panes.

It's more like 80-90 miles to Duke, UNC and don't forget NC St. But I don't think it's so much that as it's just a small private school that struggles to keep pace in a big time conference in football. Which is worse: Wake getting 20,000 fans given that they are a small private school (7500 students sounds right) with a couple large state schools nearby, or IU which has hovered around 30K attendance for large chunks of many seasons with 35,000+ students and being the dominant state school? Let's not throw stones on this, our glass house already has a few broken panes.

You're correct. I must have been thinking of the east side of Greensboro to Chapel Hill/Durham being 40 miles

ADVERTISEMENT