ADVERTISEMENT

Volvo makes news

iubud

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2003
Volvo announced that in 2019, they will only offer electric and hybrid passenger cars. I think it is a bold move and other car builders will be watching how the public responds. As someone that appreciates performance and technology in the automotive field, I am very supportive of this move.

I know two people that drive Teslas. Both understand the limitations of the vehicle, but would buy another. One lives with a partner that also has a Tesla, so they are a two Tesla household. I am hopeful Volvo builds a performance vehicle in their car line that showcases the best of the technology. That isn't Volvo's market, but I still think it could help them sell this concept. I am interested to learn if current Volvo owners will be more or less likely to by a Volvo based on this move.

The good news for the industry is there is a trusted automaker staking their reputation on this technology. I am not a Volvo owner or likely to buy one. I have driven hybrids and would be interested in a hybrid for our family vehicle. I still want to have a rear wheel drive car to drive when I want to get from point A to point with the maximum amount of fun.

Reactions: Eppy99
You obviously live in a warmer climate.
There are 5 or 6 days over winter where a RWD vehicle is a horrible idea. Just ask someone from Valpo or Ellkhart

You obviously live in a warmer climate.
There are 5 or 6 days over winter where a RWD vehicle is a horrible idea. Just ask someone from Valpo or Ellkhart
I would rather deal with snowy roads a few days per year with RWD than torque-steer and ill-handling every day from a FWD car. Plus, you are out of luck when your steering axle is also your drive axle when you break traction.

Nothing was worse on snow than my Mustang and even with nearly 50/50 weight distribution and traction control, my 325i would give that Mustang competition as the worst thing on snow. Yet with proper snow tires, people all over the world do quite well. I would consider that, but luckily, we have a 4WD Explorer I can drive if needed..

My parents didn't drive a FWD car until the 80's. I didn't own a FWD car until I got married and my wife brought her VW into the family. There are two issues with driving on snow today vs past years. One, people have forgotten how to drive RWD cars on snow. Two, tires have gotten wider and wider for good handling, but that isn't the right direction on snow.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT