ADVERTISEMENT

Vols this weekend

mobilehoosier

Senior
Nov 17, 2012
Mobile, Alabama
I looked at the Vols a bit because I'm not familiar with them. They have a second year coach. New 1.25 Million turf field. Appear to be investing in baseball and trending up. Won 12 games in SEC play in 2018 with first year coach. 29-27 overall.
Young team with only two seniors (I could ID) and some Juco's and fresh talent. Most of the kids are from Tenn but they do have kids from all over.
Should be an excellent test for us. They are excited and playing with confidence. I believe this is a perfect early measuring stick.
Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: snowling
It looks like it could be another rainy weekend with temps much higher than what it was in Memphis, but obviously, we'll have to see what the forecast is like on Thursday to get a better handle on it.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USTN0268:1:US
I live in the south now (Birmingham, AL) and can confirm we are expecting rain through the weekend. Farther south than Knoxville, but still close enough that their weather mirrors ours pretty close so I hope we can get 3 in. I know nothing about App St. but Tennessee shut them out this past weekend. I found that worrisome with our small sample size of K's at the plate. I'll be curious to see how we handle what would appear to be pretty good pitching.

I actually looked up what type of field they had because of the rain, to see if they could still play and saw how they just put field turf in this winter. Glad they did, because now all they really need is a few hour window of it not raining hard to get the games in.

Okay, we were down two key players and had a bad first inning, and lost to their #1 starter. Here's hoping we do better against the rest of their weekend rotation. We had our opportunities a couple times with runners on, and we failed to get that clutch hit with two outs.

Yesterday, it was a bad 1st inning and today it's a bad 2nd inning, with an error and a mental error resulting in a couple of runs being scored.

Houston thrown out stealing to end the top of the 3rd. Nothing going right for us.

Is anyone else having issues watching the stream? Mine keeps pausing every 10 seconds or so. Annoying. I don't have the best internet in the world but I can watch Netflix on 3 devices and it never does it. Smh.

Houston thrown out stealing to end the top of the 3rd. Nothing going right for us.

Is anyone else having issues watching the stream? Mine keeps pausing every 10 seconds or so. Annoying. I don't have the best internet in the world but I can watch Netflix on 3 devices and it never does it. Smh.
I am getting the stream through Spectrum road runner and it's great for me. All of the strikeouts (8 so far) are coming in clear. We struck out four times in the top of the 4th, with a runner reaching 1st on a strikeout wild pitch.

I am getting the stream through Spectrum road runner and it's great for me. All of the strikeouts (8 so far) are coming in clear. We struck out four times in the top of the 4th, with a runner reaching 1st on a strikeout wild pitch.
I was just going to say that. Well, espn doesn't have it down as well as netflix at least for my internet connection. Between that and our awful play, I'm going to have to give it up. Those 4 strikeouts were our 2,3,4,5 hitters.....supposedly the best in our lineup.

8 more strike outs thru the first 4. We may very well set a record this year. Sloppy defense too.

Make that 10 thru 5. Leadoff triple and we make a poor choice on medium depth fly ball to left then strike out 2 more times. This team is very unimpressive so far. Either that or Tennessee is a lock for Omaha.

Make that 10 thru 5. Leadoff triple and we make a poor choice on medium depth fly ball to left then strike out 2 more times. This team is very unimpressive so far. Either that or Tennessee is a lock for Omaha.
We are hitting .198 as a team so far, and striking out left and right, so we should have sent the runner since scoring runs has been like pulling teeth for us so far this season.

Reactions: mk23
I have seen enough of this, so I'm through watching this, and will just check up on the sidearm live stats every now and then. This game is really getting away from us, and it's been a pretty sorry performance.

After the lousy football season and the trainwreck of a basketball season, I was hoping baseball could salvage my Hoosier-sanity this spring. It's still early, but damn...I'm not feeling too good about it.

Reactions: 82IU
16 strikeouts through 7 innings. Does anybody know how to choke up and put the ball in play?
Yeeessshhhh!

After the lousy football season and the trainwreck of a basketball season, I was hoping baseball could salvage my Hoosier-sanity this spring. It's still early, but damn...I'm not feeling too good about it.
I have become a bigger IU baseball fan than basketball, and this is completely disappointing.

Final 11-0 with 21 strikeouts! I wonder what IU and UT records are? The all-time college record is 26 of 27 by Buddy Schultz of Miami (Ohio) in 1971. But this is baseball and tomorrow might be our turn to dominate.

We have all been talking about how many strikeouts this team has had through 4 games. So what do they do in the 5th game? They get shut out and have 21 K's? I am at a loss for words.

IU will NEVER be good in Athletics as long as Fred is in charge.

3rd: hit and error, but IU runners stranded on 2nd and 3rd; Sommer retires 8 in a row after game opening BB, but walks UT RF when he faces him a second time, steals 2nd and K ends the inning.
4th: Barr hits another solo HR after 1 out. damage limited; UT goes GO, single, double has runners on the corners, GO scores 1 and GO ends the threat.

After 4:

* * R H E
IU 3 4 0
UT 1 2 2

Go Hoosiers!

5th: IU goes down easy; UT goes GO, runner beats Sommer to the bag for an infield hit, Lloyd bobbles ball, error charged has 2 UT runners on, BB loads the bags with 1 out, 3-run double to RF, Krueger enters in relief and 2Ks ends the inning.
6th: UT strikes out the side, Manous on the mound; UT goes double, FO, runner advances to 3rd, BB has runners on the corners, runner thrown out at 2nd trying to steal, RBI single and a diving catch by Fineman on a foul ball ends the threat.

After 6:

* * R H E
IU 3 4 1
UT 5 6 2

Go Hoosiers!

ADVERTISEMENT