ADVERTISEMENT

View from a Husker fan

Just to be fair for those of us who don't know either of you, are you a season ticket holder or do you at least regularly go to IU football games?
Ask him what row his tickets are on in 'Section 5'. Good luck getting an answer.

I'll see you in Evanston.

We have finally made it to the real problem, you believe you know " a great deal about IU football" . Hilarious
More than you'll ever hope to know. Remember, I've read your posts. No one would be as uninformed as you are if you'd actually followed the program. Please go away but, if you stay, take an English class. It might help.

Last edited:
No need to ask, he already made it clear he was indeed not at the game. No surprise.
I was there, though I'm not sure you were based on your "commentary" of the game. Aside from the whining, you must've been sleeping. Not a good season of analysis for you. Have fun on the "Prevost" with your "clients". lol

I was there, though I'm not sure you were based on your "commentary" of the game. Aside from the whining, you must've been sleeping. Not a good season of analysis for you. Have fun on the "Prevost" with your "clients". lol

Being a charitable guy I will grant you a third opportunity to back that claim up. You ran the first two times. This time?

Reactions: DANC

Be specific.

Danc...Call this clown's bluff. I did twice and Kerny ran like weasel both times.
Heck, I already told him where my seats are. I can't get any more specific than that.

Maybe he'll buzz the stadium in his plane! lol

Being a charitable guy I will grant you a third opportunity to back that claim up. You ran the first two times. This time?
I was there, though I've seen nothing other than your whining to suggest you were. But feel free to continue with the endless stalking. It's humorous, to say the least.

Like who?
Like flesh-and-blood people. Not internet fantasies.

It would do you a world of good. And if you can't afford a ticket, someone in our group usually has an extra ticket or two. You can use a youth ticket.

I'll bite.

Given IU's offensive struggles and the challenges put forth by NU's defense, how would you game plan for Saturday?
Considering the Offense they displayed against MSU, I'd recommend praying. A lot.

NU's DBs aren't that great, so we should be able to throw against them. But no doubt Wilson will be determined to run the ball. If that's what he wants to do, I'd open with Zander at QB.

How would you game plan?

First, as much as I criticized Lagow, I don't think I would start Diamont unless RL's head is shot and he mentally can't get in the groove. There is a reason he's the guy.
His father said he runs a 4.7 forty..OK, let's let him challenge the edge a little. At least have something in the bag like the threat of a run and make his faking much more effective. I know that puts a big risk of injury out there and then we have to go with Diamont, but with his body size, I hope he's not fragile. I would love a good day from Redding and Majette to balance out the equation. NU will certainly load the box to stop the run and challenge us to pass. That said, it will give one on one coverage to the outside in many situations. Let's test if the DB's are soft. We have decent receivers , even with the injuries. Let's give someone an opportunity to shine. If we can get a superior athlete in a one on one match up in 1/3 of the field, short or deep, I'll take that.that could lead to some great plays. If NU can cover or the DL get past the line, we may have some trouble. That is when it appears to me RL's decision making gets suspect. So, we need to be able to hold them back. Based on the fact that Illinois State held them to such a low score and Michigan St. put so many points up that doesn't seem unreasonable. If we can do that, and have 0 interceptions, I think we can put it on them.

On defense, we need a good solid game at least. In previous years, asking for that would get you laughed off this board, but this year, I believe we can hold teams and Tom Allen's D has shown that to my satisfaction. I think the D has been the shining spot for this team this year. (Who'da thought we'd be saying that?) How many here think, If we had a couple of key defensive players, this defense could really be outstanding? I don't think we're that far away. Do confusing things up front and get after their QB, let's see if his NU smarts have him dissecting the defense. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. In the case of the latter, hopefully we win the turnover battle and put us in position to win this and set the stage for the next three games. their injury report is light compared to ours so, we need some guys to step up.....opportunity abounds for our guys.

Just my thoughts........

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't do tricks for treats. Besides, I'm packing up the Citation for the trip to Evanston (with a couple of clients). lol.

Way to kick it old skool!

1982%2BChevrolet%2BCitation%2B5-Door%2BHatchback.%2B-%2B3.jpg

Reactions: DANC
First, as much as I criticized Lagow, I don't think I would start Diamont unless RL's head is shot and he mentally can't get in the groove. There is a reason he's the guy.
His father said he runs a 4.7 forty..OK, let's let him challenge the edge a little. At least have something in the bag like the threat of a run and make his faking much more effective. I know that puts a big risk of injury out there and then we have to go with Diamont, but with his body size, I hope he's not fragile. I would love a good day from Redding and Majette to balance out the equation. NU will certainly load the box to stop the run and challenge us to pass. That said, it will give one on one coverage to the outside in many situations. Let's test if the DB's are soft. We have decent receivers , even with the injuries. Let's give someone an opportunity to shine. If we can get a superior athlete in a one on one match up in 1/3 of the field, short or deep, I'll take that.that could lead to some great plays. If NU can cover or the DL get past the line, we may have some trouble. That is when it appears to me RL's decision making gets suspect. So, we need to be able to hold them back. Based on the fact that Illinois State held them to such a low score and Michigan St. put so many points up that doesn't seem unreasonable. If we can do that, and have 0 interceptions, I think we can put it on them.

On defense, we need a good solid game at least. In previous years, asking for that would get you laughed off this board, but this year, I believe we can hold teams and Tom Allen's D has shown that to my satisfaction. I think the D has been the shining spot for this team this year. (Who'da thought we'd be saying that?) How many here think, If we had a couple of key defensive players, this defense could really be outstanding? I don't think we're that far away. Do confusing things up front and get after their QB, let's see if his NU smarts have him dissecting the defense. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. In the case of the latter, hopefully we win the turnover battle and put us in position to win this and set the stage for the next three games. their injury report is light compared to ours so, we need some guys to step up.....opportunity abounds for our guys.

Just my thoughts........

A lot of good stuff here, I would not start ZD either but not be afraid to use him as he was used vs Neb.

I certainly test the DBs as well, but I am not comfortable with the receiving corps as it is today. IU just does not have that guy that can go up and get the ball. Huge Paige fan for several reasons, but when he is your most reliable receiver you have some serious limitations.

This is a crucial game IMO...if we want to see IU get past the "win the bucket to get a bowl" stage, they have to win these games.

Just my thoughts........
I'm sure Wilson will want to run the ball, but those yards will be tough to come by with NU's front. I'd come out in two tight to see if they can get a push, and I might even throw from that formation on first or second down. I agree that Lagow needs to keep it very occasionally in the zone-read, if only to keep the D ends from collapsing on the run.

Ultimately, they're going to need to throw it more than Wilson wants to, and it's not hard to envision a 40-50 pass game. Unless they can protect Lagow, that's a recipe for sacks and turnovers as well as getting behind the chains and losing field position. On the other hand, if you can complete some throws down the field, there's a chance that they can neutralize NU's pressure.

Defensively, NU will run Jackson, even if the results are initially modest. He's not big but he's surprisingly durable, and they'll stick with it. Thorsen isn't fast but he has "escapability", so they'll need to build a fence at the line of scrimmage and keep him contained. Five yard gains are fine. It's his ability to break contain and go for 15 or 20 that worries me.

I think special teams will be a key. Field position will be critical, so hopefully the punting measures up. And, inside of 40 yards, they need to take the points.

I think special teams will be a key. Field position will be critical, so hopefully the punting measures up. And, inside of 40 yards, they need to take the points.[/QUOTE]
Absolutely!

I think special teams will be a key. Field position will be critical, so hopefully the punting measures up. And, inside of 40 yards, they need to take the points.
Absolutely![/QUOTE]

Oakes had a sore hip last week and his distance was very questionable. His health will determine that line. Gedeon has been a good at what I call surgical punting from that 40-50 distance. His delivery was very slow initially but coaching looks to have improved that. He can drop it dead on the two pretty well.

Absolutely![/QUOTE]
Ryan Field is generally regarded as the worst of the natural playing surfaces in the conference. Bare spots, poor drainage, a long cut. Coaches have been known to try and exploit this by throwing quick spot passes big to the edge and in the 5 to 7 yard range from the line of scrimmage that force defenders to plant and push in coverage, with the thought that their footing won't always be reliable. It's also a way to keep your qb clean because the ball comes out quickly. Will be interested to see if Wilson remembers that from his NU days.

I'm sure Wilson will want to run the ball, but those yards will be tough to come by with NU's front. I'd come out in two tight to see if they can get a push, and I might even throw from that formation on first or second down. I agree that Lagow needs to keep it very occasionally in the zone-read, if only to keep the D ends from collapsing on the run.

Ultimately, they're going to need to throw it more than Wilson wants to, and it's not hard to envision a 40-50 pass game. Unless they can protect Lagow, that's a recipe for sacks and turnovers as well as getting behind the chains and losing field position. On the other hand, if you can complete some throws down the field, there's a chance that they can neutralize NU's pressure.

Defensively, NU will run Jackson, even if the results are initially modest. He's not big but he's surprisingly durable, and they'll stick with it. Thorsen isn't fast but he has "escapability", so they'll need to build a fence at the line of scrimmage and keep him contained. Five yard gains are fine. It's his ability to break contain and go for 15 or 20 that worries me.

After watching our kicking game this year, how is going for it on fourth and one any more dangerous than lining up our kicking team?

Read the math. Inside of 40 yards, if it's 4th and anything less than 3 yards, going for it is the informed, reasonable decision. If you're going to give me "be conservative and take the points", you're taking more points by going for it.

After watching our kicking game this year, how is going for it on fourth and one any more dangerous than lining up our kicking team?

Read the math. Inside of 40 yards, if it's 4th and anything less than 3 yards, going for it is the informed, reasonable decision. If you're going to give me "be conservative and take the points", you're taking more points by going for it.
The problem is that IU simply hasn't been very good at executing on fourth down, and I'm a big believer in doing things where the chances of success are decent. It may statistically may make sense when considering all of college football, but it's been poorly done at IU and its cost them dearly.

The problem is that IU simply hasn't been very good at executing on fourth down, and I'm a big believer in doing things where the chances of success are decent. It may statistically may make sense when considering all of college football, but it's been poorly done at IU and its cost them dearly.
Yeah, you're wrong here. Indiana's field goal unit has been a minus unit this year, and the success rate of the passing game has been top shelf. With that being the case, your expected points value is greater for the pass than kicking the field goal, so you're giving yourself a better chance at winning via going for it.

Yeah, you're wrong here. Indiana's field goal unit has been a minus unit this year, and the success rate of the passing game has been top shelf. With that being the case, your expected points value is greater for the pass than kicking the field goal, so you're giving yourself a better chance at winning via going for it.
Hmm . . . How's that worked out, either this year or in previous seasons? Pretty sure their lack of execution has resulted in some very high profile failures. If you can't get the job done, it's probably not the good risk you claim it to be.

Hmm . . . How's that worked out, either this year or in previous seasons? Pretty sure their lack of execution has resulted in some very high profile failures. If you can't get the job done, it's probably not the good risk you claim it to be.
It led to Indiana having a top 15 offense three out of the last four years, so, yeah, it's worked out well.

Those "high profile failures" are only high profile because the defense wasn't holding up their end of the bargain.

It led to Indiana having a top 15 offense three out of the last four years, so, yeah, it's worked out well.

Those "high profile failures" are only high profile because the defense wasn't holding up their end of the bargain.
Our fourth down failures were due to the poor defense? That's an interesting theory. It's not in any way factual, but it's interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT