ADVERTISEMENT

View from a Husker fan

Dec 24, 2002
It was a long drive to get to Bloomington and sharing I-80 and I-74 with Iowa fans heading to West Lafayette. We walked through the tailgate areas and Hoosier fans were very friendly. Hoped to see Assembly Hall but there was a closed door practice that kept us from seeing the iconic arena. Loved the band. The Marching 100 I think is what you call them. They sounded great! We went to Scotty's after the game to watch OSU-Wisconsin game and even in defeat, Hoosier fans were nice.

At the game, I didn't like the boos when our team entered the field or when we had two defensive players getting injured. Nebraska doesn't boo its opponents. I realize you play a no huddle offense and it's possible an opponent would fake an injury but I haven't seen Nebraska do that before and I think the injuries were legitimate. The play area in the south end zone was strange to see. I understand the stadium will be enclosed some day. Loved having Chick-fil-A sandwiches at the game.

Regarding the game, both offenses had a hard time controlling the line of scrimmage and secondary play was good for both teams. A hard-fought defensive battle with a few big plays deciding the outcome. Huskers had a time consuming drive in the fourth quarter to keep IU's offense off the field. I am glad I made the drive and looking forward to hosting the Hoosiers in Lincoln in 2019!

[QUOTE="Huskerchief, post: 1924755, member: 49547"

At the game, I didn't like the boos when our team entered the field or when we had two defensive players getting injured. Nebraska doesn't boo its opponents. I realize you play a no huddle offense and it's possible an opponent would fake an injury but I haven't seen Nebraska do that before and I think the injuries were legitimate. The play area in the south end zone was strange to see. I understand the stadium will be enclosed some day.[/QUOTE]

I have never been to Nebraska (one of the few states) let alone a Cornhusker game. But I aware of some of the great things you guys have done at the games - the make a wish touchdowns scored by cancer victims, the UCLA blue and gold balloon released before the game after the death of a UCLA walk-on player and of course the empty punt formation first game this year.

This conflicts with the discussion of some of the Nebraska fan behavior that was discussed on the 30-30 show about Colorado's run under McCartney. On the flip-side the Colorado players interviewed were still taking shots at Nebraska 20+ years later.
My question to you: Are Nebraska fan's consistent or do rivalry games bring out different behavior. Or have times changed? I have no idea.

Watching BYU football, they have some of the most classless and dirty players that take the field. When Miami was on top there players were totally out of control. And that spilled over to the fan base. I have never had that opinion of Nebraska football. Now that can change on a dime at any school depending on the head coach.

During the game yesterday, the announcer made the comment that the 5000-8000 Nebraska fans were louder than the Hoosier fans and it was because the Hoosier fans were still new at winning. That comment may have been more directed to the history of half-full stadiums and half-time bailouts.

I watch IU football from afar. I have not been back to Indiana in decades. I don't know if IU boos all its opponents. When I was at IU the fans were cordial. Although the Oaken Bucket game, which is probably the most embarrassing rivalry game in college football, is known for poor fan behavior on both sides.

Thanks for your comments. It has been almost 30 years since IU has fielded a team that was solid in all areas of the game. The Hoosiers are still a work in progress. It was great fun watching IU stay close in a meaningful game.

Glad you had a good trip. Did you get a chance to walk any parts of campus? That alone is worth the long drive. Scotty's is not in the top ten places to go to eat and drink, but I hope it was ok.

Most of the Neb fans we encountered were great, they were loving IUs tailgate scene. I agree That both lines struggled a bit, IU's is banged up badly. Competitive game outside of the first quarter. As for the boos when the Neb defender stayed down...it was interesting because ZD Had Neb completely on their heels on the drive and no less than three people right by us said..."here comes the injury"...and bingo. None of us know for certain if it was a stall, but IU sees that act very consistently in that situation.

When a player goes down just long enough for them to stop play and as soon as the trainers get to them they stand up and walk off without any noticeable injury..........

Reactions: MIS01
It was a long drive to get to Bloomington and sharing I-80 and I-74 with Iowa fans heading to West Lafayette. We walked through the tailgate areas and Hoosier fans were very friendly. Hoped to see Assembly Hall but there was a closed door practice that kept us from seeing the iconic arena. Loved the band. The Marching 100 I think is what you call them. They sounded great! We went to Scotty's after the game to watch OSU-Wisconsin game and even in defeat, Hoosier fans were nice.

At the game, I didn't like the boos when our team entered the field or when we had two defensive players getting injured. Nebraska doesn't boo its opponents. I realize you play a no huddle offense and it's possible an opponent would fake an injury but I haven't seen Nebraska do that before and I think the injuries were legitimate. The play area in the south end zone was strange to see. I understand the stadium will be enclosed some day. Loved having Chick-fil-A sandwiches at the game.

Regarding the game, both offenses had a hard time controlling the line of scrimmage and secondary play was good for both teams. A hard-fought defensive battle with a few big plays deciding the outcome. Huskers had a time consuming drive in the fourth quarter to keep IU's offense off the field. I am glad I made the drive and looking forward to hosting the Hoosiers in Lincoln in 2019!
Please spare me the moralizing BS. Your fans didn't paint themselves in a great light to us, either, and there were clearly at least a couple of injuries that were faked. You guys were talking to Michigan State last week, and they've done the same thing to us every year in the Kevin Wilson era.

Nebraska fans have earned a spot next to OSU fans on my "not welcome at the tailgate" list. Honestly thankful you're not in the division -- Nebraska is just a more self-important Iowa.

Reactions: RBB89

I appreciate hearing your thoughts and impressions.

Regarding the 'injuries', both times injuries were boo'd was when right after IU made a play and was moving the ball. Wake Forest did the same thing. I watched both Nebraska players come off the field and, after coming to the bench, both sat down, coaches came over to them, and just walked away. These guys were gassed - that is not injury. It also gave the team time to collect itself. Believe me, for genuine injuries, Hoosier fans are empathetic - we've had many of our own and we don't like to see players genuinely hurt.

I have heard all about how Nebraska are friendly and great sportsmen. From my experience yesterday, they're not any different from any other team. You have your A-holes - 2 of which sat 2 rows in front of me in Section 9, Row 45 - and you have fans who know not to be jerks in an away game.

I'm looking forward to the future game in Lincoln so you all can live up to your reputation.

Reactions: 82hoosier
Nebraska fans had plenty of boos for Miami a few years ago in Lincoln following unsportsmanlike penalties and a player flipping off the fans. I have seen them boo Colorado, Missouri and K-State over the years and Texas got its share too. But that is perhaps once a year in a rivalry situation.

Was able to see the campus and it is gorgeous. I had been to IU before as I was a host parent for a juco transfer from Iowa Western to IU's women's basketball team, a gal from Latvia. She stayed with us before transferring to IU.

Didn't #24 limp off one of those times? Don't think he was out long. Then late in game made the last interception, I believe.

With all the dialogue on keeping players safe, how 'bout if a player requires an "injury timeout" then that player has to sit until the next quarter?

Saw some very nice Nebraska fans while tailgating. However, once we got in the stands it was a completely different story. Crude, rude, and loudly making very derogatory statements about Hoosier fans and players - and this was in the middle of the players' parents section. Completely changed our opinion of Husker fans!

It is too bad that you had an experience of poor sportsmanship and bad behavior. My experience is that should be rare, you would be a welcomed guest in Lincoln and I think you'd find they are knowledgeable and friendly fans. Good luck the rest of the year. Your team should win a lot of games.

Please spare me the moralizing BS. Your fans didn't paint themselves in a great light to us, either, and there were clearly at least a couple of injuries that were faked. You guys were talking to Michigan State last week, and they've done the same thing to us every year in the Kevin Wilson era.

Nebraska fans have earned a spot next to OSU fans on my "not welcome at the tailgate" list. Honestly thankful you're not in the division -- Nebraska is just a more self-important Iowa.
Summary:
-NU fans are bad because NU players fake injuries.
-NU fans spoke with Michigan State coaches last week and relayed information to NU coaches on how to beat IU, even though they didn't.
-NU = OSU
-NU fans can't have his hotdogs, or his beer
-NU = Iowa

I'll pray for you, bless your heart.

Nebraska fans had plenty of boos for Miami a few years ago in Lincoln following unsportsmanlike penalties and a player flipping off the fans. I have seen them boo Colorado, Missouri and K-State over the years and Texas got its share too. But that is perhaps once a year in a rivalry situation.

Was able to see the campus and it is gorgeous. I had been to IU before as I was a host parent for a juco transfer from Iowa Western to IU's women's basketball team, a gal from Latvia. She stayed with us before transferring to IU.
We have had many teams have players lay on the turf like they are dead and miss one play and come back in. As mentioned, it is usually after a big play or when we go uptempo.

A lady in front of us kept turning around in the first quarter and staring at us after a good Nebraska play. She didn't turn around much for 2 quarters. When Nebraska went up by 5, she turned around and I said to my son so she could hear that the game wasn't over and hopefully we can do the awkward creepy stare thing toward Nebraska fans after the game. Overall, Nebraska fans were better behaved than I had been told to expect. A few did remind me of Purdouche fans though.

Summary:
-NU fans spoke with Michigan State coaches last week and relayed information to NU coaches on how to beat IU, even though they didn't.
-NU = OSU
-NU = Iowa

Isn't Bless your heart, a good ol' Midwestern colloquialism for "You're stupid" or "You're a dumb a$$"?

"Oh, you locked your keys in your car...well, bless your heart!"

Summary:
-NU = OSU
-NU = Iowa

You don't read well, do you? Whatever.

This is too dumb of an argument for me to get into tonight (or frankly, ever.) You're not worth my time.

Some day? The stadium will be enclosed before the start of the 2018 season. You guys did not behave very well Saturday. Certainly not up to your reputation.

It is too bad that you had an experience of poor sportsmanship and bad behavior. My experience is that should be rare, you would be a welcomed guest in Lincoln and I think you'd find they are knowledgeable and friendly fans. Good luck the rest of the year. Your team should win a lot of games.
I had a great day, in full Cream and Crimson, went to Hoosiers for Huskers tailgate, then to another in the Purple lot. Nothing but great people. Sat on east side, in the middle of NU section...Not any semblence of rude behavior .....none!
Many of those people drove 700 miles to back their team. IU football fans could learn a lot about commitment to supporting a program from NU fans.

Some day? The stadium will be enclosed before the start of the 2018 season. You guys did not behave very well Saturday. Certainly not up to your reputation.
No fan base is perfect, but the Nebraska fans were overwhelmingly well behaved Saturday. People whining about them really are clueless.

I had a great day, in full Cream and Crimson, went to Hoosiers for Huskers tailgate, then to another in the Purple lot. Nothing but great people. Sat on east side, in the middle of NU section...Not any semblence of rude behavior .....none!
Many of those people drove 700 miles to back their team. IU football fans could learn a lot about commitment to supporting a program from NU fans.
Exactly. The crying over Nebraska fans' behavior is just some fans' reaction to another frustrating loss.

No fan base is perfect, but the Nebraska fans were overwhelmingly well behaved Saturday. People whining about them really are clueless.
People who think Nebraska fans were overwhelmingly well behaved didn't attend the game.

If you sat on the east side, you were not in the middle of the Nebraska section, could make a person wonder about the validity of your comments.

Reactions: DANC
If you sat on the east side, you were not in the middle of the Nebraska section, could make a person wonder about the validity of your comments.
Husker fans attended in large numbers and cheered for their team because plenty of tickets were available. That wasn't their fault, nor should they be criticized for supporting their team. They were impressive.

Husker fans attended in large numbers and cheered for their team because plenty of tickets were available. That wasn't their fault, nor should they be criticized for supporting their team. They were impressive.
Did you read my post ? Apparently your reading comprehension problems have reared their ugly head again, or did you mean to direct your post to someone else ?

Did you read my post ? Apparently your reading comprehension problems have reared their ugly head again, or did you mean to direct your post to someone else ?
No, I read and fully understood your comments. It was crystal clear what you were trying to say.

Oh, you did? Cool - where do you sit for games?
Section 5, where our seats have been for years and years. You should consider getting tickets sometime. I think you might enjoy attending games.

Last edited:
No, I read and fully understood your comments. It was crystal clear what you were trying to say.
Apparently not, if you sit in Section 5, then you are aware where the opposing fan section is located. Hint, not the East side.
Personally, I had a couple Nebraska fans sitting near me that were jackwagons, but I'm not condemning the entire fan base for that, we all have them. Conversely, I'm not going to talk about how "impressive" they were either. If your experience was great that is wonderful, obviously others didn't have that same experience, and no one should try to tell them how they should feel about it.

Section 5, where are seats have been for years and years. You should consider getting tickets sometime. I think you might enjoy attending games.
Section 9, Row 45, Seats 1 - 4. Stop by and say Hi sometime.

What row are you in?

Apparently not, if you sit in Section 5, then you are aware where the opposing fan section is located. Hint, not the East side.
Personally, I had a couple Nebraska fans sitting near me that were jackwagons, but I'm not condemning the entire fan base for that, we all have them. Conversely, I'm not going to talk about how "impressive" they were either. If your experience was great that is wonderful, obviously others didn't have that same experience, and no one should try to tell them how they should feel about it.
Please show me where I made any comment about the visitor's section being on the east side.

You seem to engage in this kind of tactic with some frequency. Not surprising.

As a husker fan here I can tell you right now that the comment about the booing is so ridiculous… And so "typical husker fan I'm trying to show how much better we" We for the most part are really good fans,we travel really well, we're generally just there to have a good time drink a lot and hopefully see you win. And if you come to Lincoln you'll probably have a A lot of fans do when they visit here and more than likely you will drink and eat for free at basically every tailgate.

The worst husker fan you could meet is the "let me educate you" fan… Where they wanted to chew your ear off about husker history. But honestly most of us just want to party and have a good time

Last edited:
Reactions: RBB89
I sit in 25. The entire row in front of me were Nebraska fans. They cheered but were friendly and showed zero obnoxiousness. My parents sit in 29. Based on their descriptions of their experience they had some supremely douchetastic Nebraska folks near them. Many will have different experiences. I think for the most part they were welcome visitors. I think the OP can GTFO with his complaints about the booing though. Those boos were justified. The fake injuries were unfortunately successful in stalling drive momentum as well.

We have had many teams have players lay on the turf like they are dead and miss one play and come back in. As mentioned, it is usually after a big play or when we go uptempo.

A lady in front of us kept turning around in the first quarter and staring at us after a good Nebraska play. She didn't turn around much for 2 quarters. When Nebraska went up by 5, she turned around and I said to my son so she could hear that the game wasn't over and hopefully we can do the awkward creepy stare thing toward Nebraska fans after the game. Overall, Nebraska fans were better behaved than I had been told to expect. A few did remind me of Purdouche fans though.

It was a Lady?

Who cares...haha. She was probably turning around to get an explanation because she didn't understand what was going on.

Section 5, where our seats have been for years and years. You should consider getting tickets sometime. I think you might enjoy attending games.

Under your previous screen name (The Spa) you said you live out of state and do not attend games. Now you do. Gotcha.

Last edited:
I sit in 25. The entire row in front of me were Nebraska fans. They cheered but were friendly and showed zero obnoxiousness. My parents sit in 29. Based on their descriptions of their experience they had some supremely douchetastic Nebraska folks near them. Many will have different experiences. I think for the most part they were welcome visitors. I think the OP can GTFO with his complaints about the booing though. Those boos were justified. The fake injuries were unfortunately successful in stalling drive momentum as well.

With the exception of four clowns that managed to scalp tickets in our section my interactions were all good. Several stopped by the tailgate to ask questions and we offered each food and drink. They were friendly.

Please show me where I made any comment about the visitor's section being on the east side.

You seem to engage in this kind of tactic with some frequency. Not surprising.
You responded to my post pointing out that a certain poster did NOT sit in the middle of the NU section ,if he was on the east side. You went on to tell me it was "crystal clear" what I was trying to say, so either you're just dumb, or have Alzheimer's . The only one that uses "tactics" around here is you, the rest try to discuss IU football, you continually (under many different aliases, Spa,Ord etc) attempt to make that difficult.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT