ADVERTISEMENT

Victor Oladipo endorses, campaigning with Joe Donnelly

A black doing anything in our society is braver than anything Van will ever do. My underlying point was that Van is an idiot and posts idiotic crap and I mocked that. It wasn't meant to be humorous in your eye-of-the-needle limitations on humor. The biggest joke on you is that military discipline doesn't work in pigeonholing humor.
I’ve done a lot of teaching and speaking. At the risk of sounding immodest, I know how to make a crowd laugh. It’s the best way to start a class or a talk for me because it comes naturally.

Reactions: stollcpa
We were saying exactly the same thing. I thought it was clear, but now I’m thinking maybe you’re not saying what you were apparently saying, which was what I thought I was apparently saying. o_O
No, I was very clear what I was saying. But your response to...whothefudgeever...was the third party made it seem you were saying the opposite, otherwise, your post made no sense to me.

I'm no longer even sure what we are saying now. What are we agreeing on? Give me a two sentence summary so we can agree we are both smart and move on!

Not that lurker needs or wants my defense, but it seems pretty obvious to me. VPM was employing that time-honored argument that a black man is only brave if he stands up to liberalism, not for it. Lurker was turning this around on VPM by pointing out the theory that Jesus himself was (what might have passed for in that time) a liberal. I'm not saying I agree with the historical interpretation Lurker holds here, but the point he's making - that VPM sees "bravery" in purely partisan terms - seems pretty obvious.
Jesus was indeed a liberal, a radical one at that. The conservatives in those days were Pharisees.

Dictionary.com defines a Pharisee as:
"a member of an ancient Jewish sect, distinguished by strict observance of the traditional and written law, and commonly held to have pretensions to superior sanctity.
  • a self-righteous person; a hypocrite.
"
Doesn't that parallel to the conservatives today?

Reactions: MaxCoke
Jesus was indeed a liberal, a radical one at that. The conservatives in those days were Pharisees.

"a member of an ancient Jewish sect, distinguished by strict observance of the traditional and written law, and commonly held to have pretensions to superior sanctity.
"
That's a valid argument, and I'm not trying to argue for or against it. I'm just saying that Lurker's argument - which assumed that Jesus was a liberal - was pretty obvious, and it's hard to believe that Aloha or anyone else didn't understand what he was saying.

Reactions: MaxCoke
I’ve done a lot of teaching and speaking. At the risk of sounding immodest, I know how to make a crowd laugh. It’s the best way to start a class or a talk for me because it comes naturally.
Who's questioning that? I'm not telling you you're not funny, am I?

You think Victor is supporting Joe because of NFL kneeling? That’s quite a stretch there.
I originally misunderstood, and wrongly assumed the original post was about something Oladipo had done at a Pacer game, possibly kneeling. Victor can indorse anyone he wishes, even tough I can't imagine why anyone in his position would want to put his dog in that fight. It would have behooved him to have never opened Schrodinger's box.:eek:

I originally misunderstood, and wrongly assumed the original post was about something Oladipo had done at a Pacer game, possibly kneeling. Victor can indorse anyone he wishes, even tough I can't imagine why anyone in his position would want to put his dog in that fight. It would have behooved him to have never opened Schroders box.:eek:
Just to be clear, you're willing to say that, since he didn't do this at a Pacers official event, you're not offended by it? I know you think that might be obvious, but based on what some other dumbasses have said, it would be nice to see you confirm it affirmatively.

Just to be clear, you're willing to say that, since he didn't do this at a Pacers official event, you're not offended by it? I know you think that might be obvious, but based on what some other dumbasses have said, it would be nice to see you confirm it affirmatively.
How would I do that? He is allowed to have a political opinion, and to make it public. I just believe he would have been more respected as an ex Hoosier and Pacer star then a Democrat or Republican Hoosier, and Pacer star. Did you know that many people don't even befriend others of another political persuasion. That is why many won't discuss politics, or religion.

Reactions: herrli
No, I was very clear what I was saying. But your response to...whothefudgeever...was the third party made it seem you were saying the opposite, otherwise, your post made no sense to me.

I'm no longer even sure what we are saying now. What are we agreeing on? Give me a two sentence summary so we can agree we are both smart and move on!
We agree that Jesus didn’t do or say things a Jewish rabbi was expected to do or say.

How quickly this thread has devolved into more partisan claptrap, It seems as if it was the intent of the original poster, so congratulations are in order I suppose.

Either way, good on Dipo for trying to make a difference and becoming more politically involved. No matter which way a celebrity goes when they make their political or religious or social opinions public, they invite criticism regardless, especially in this day and age of social media and it's hold on the vapid and shallow. I love what he brought to the table for us as a player at IU, what he continues to bring to our hometown pro franchise, and if he puts a fraction of that effort into keeping himself politically informed and engaged then what more could any of us ask?

This post of yours has nothing to do with the conversation that was actually happening.
I get what he was saying. Jesus was against the powers that be. Actually Jesus sided with the conservative Pharisees more than He did the liberal Sadducee's. For instance on the issue of life after death look at
Matthew 22:23-46 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
Jesus Answers the Sadducees
23 On that day some Sadducees (who say there is no resurrection) came to Jesus and questioned Him, 24 asking, “Teacher, Moses said, ‘If a man dies having no children, his brother as next of kin shall marry his wife, and raise up children for his brother.’ 25 Now there were seven brothers with us; and the first married and died, and having no children left his wife to his brother; 26 so also the second, and the third, down to the seventh. 27 Last of all, the woman died. 28 In the resurrection, therefore, whose wife of the seven will she be? For they all had married her.”

29 But Jesus answered and said to them, “You are mistaken, not a]">[a]understanding the Scriptures nor the power of God. 30 For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven. 31 But regarding the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was spoken to you by God: 32 ‘I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? He is not the God of the dead but of the living.” 33 When the crowds heard this, they were astonished at His teaching.

34 But when the Pharisees heard that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered themselves together. 35 One of them, b]">[b]a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him, 36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” 37 And He said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the great and c]">[c]foremost commandment. 39 The second is like it, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.”

41 Now while the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them a question: 42 “What do you think about d]">[d]the Christ, whose son is He?” They *said to Him, “The son of David.” 43 He *said to them, “Then how does David e]">[e]in the Spirit call Him ‘Lord,’ saying,

44 ‘The Lord said to my Lord,
“Sit at My right hand,
Until I put Your enemies beneath Your feet”’?

45 If David then calls Him ‘Lord,’ how is He his son?” 46 No one was able to answer Him a word, nor did anyone dare from that day on to ask Him f]">[f]another question.

"
Where to begin: Jesus is God, neither a liberal or a conservative. Jesus was born fully a man and God. He came to earth, in his words, not to replace the Law, but to add to it. Much of what the Pharisees, and Sadducees taught was not law, but were rituals in which Jesus said was made to make life difficult for believers. It was at that time he referred to them as hypocrites. The word hypocrite is Greek for actor, for they behaved piously, making sure they appeared drawn when fasting, and wearing their phylacteries wide, suggesting they contained more scripture.
The Lord is against covetous, abortion, and man lying with man, and woman lying with woman.
Don't get mad at me, I'm just telling you what the Bible says.

Where to begin:
1) Jesus is God,
2) neither a liberal or a conservative.
3) Jesus was born fully a man and God. He came to earth, in his words, not to replace the Law, but to add to it. Much of what the Pharisees, and Sadducees taught was not law, but were rituals in which Jesus said was made to make life difficult for believers. It was at that time he referred to them as hypocrites.
4) The word hypocrite is Greek for actor, for they behaved piously, making sure they appeared drawn when fasting, and wearing their phylacteries wide, suggesting they contained more scripture.
5) The Lord is against covetous, abortion, and man lying with man, and woman lying with woman.
6) Don't get mad at me, I'm just telling you what the Bible says.

1) According to the Bible, Jesus is the son of God, not God. The Bible doesn't mention who his mother was, though.
2) He was a radical liberal in those days.
3) You have to be a man or God, neither both nor either. I don't think Jesus was a wishy-washy man.
4) Hypocrisy is what our so-called evangelicals, or shall I say today's Pharisees?, do. If not, how can they support Donald Trump, who is doing just about everything against what the Bible says, except that he says he believes in it? Or, does he even say that?
5) Yes, the Bible says against covetous. But then so did Buddha and Confucius.
Yes, the Bible says against abortion. I don't recall whether Confucius, Buddha, and Mohamed said the same. If they didn't say anything, that probably means they didn't care! They might have thought that it was none of their damn business.
6) I am not mad at you, nor do I get mad at the people who think the earth is flat. I might have other adjectives, but "mad" is not one of them.

Last edited:
You think Victor is supporting Joe because of NFL kneeling? That’s quite a stretch there.
No Olidipo had a job before Trump became President. He is supporting him because he has the luxury and can afford too...it’s the majority of other black people that only became employed after Trump become President that can’t afford to support Joe....
What, you think this is just about jobs? What about human rights? Vic remembers the summer of 2017 when a group of Trump loving white nationalists marched in Charlottesville and after the tragedy of that weekend Trump refused to condemn them. And ya know perhaps some people actually understand that the NFL players who were kneeling did so as a protest of human rights and not as a disrespect to our flag or military.

Reactions: meridian
1) According to the Bible, Jesus is the son of God, not God. The Bible doesn't mention who his mother was, though.
3) You have to be a man or God, neither both nor either. I don't think Jesus was a wishy-washy man.
4) Hypocrisy is what our so-called evangelicals, or shall I say today's Pharisees?, do. If not, how can they support Donald Trump, who is doing just about everything against what the Bible says, except that he says he believes in it? Or, does he even say that?
Yes, the Bible says against abortion. I don't recall whether Confucius, Buddha, and Mohamed said the same. If they didn't say anything, that probably means they didn't care! They might have thought that it was none of their damn business.
6) I am not mad at you, nor do I get mad at the people who think the earth is flat. I might have other adjectives, but "mad" is not one of them.
According to Mt: 1-23 "The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel which means, "God With Us"
This is what all Christians believe.
The rest of your comments are about politics, opinion, and religions that I do not ascribe to.
You are obviously not well versed in Christianity, and I am of no mind to lead you where you do not wish to go.
I am done with this thread.

According to Mt: 1-23 "The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel which means, "God With Us"
This is what all Christians believe.
The rest of your comments are about politics, opinion, and religions that I do not ascribe to.
You are obviously not well versed in Christianity, and I am of no mind to lead you where you do not wish to go.
I am done with this thread.
OK, so Mary committed an adultery. Wasn't that a sin in those days? I suppose it still is.

I am quite well versed in Christianity. If I meet you to discuss religion, including Christianity, I can certainly hold my own quite well. After all, I was born a Christian. My mother, my brother, and two of my uncles were preachers. I've read all 66 books of the Bible, cover to cover, several times. Along the way, I have read books of other religions as well.

Yes, I can certainly debate the issues with you, although I doubt whether it will change your mind or mine for the matter, especially since you don't even recognize what a radical Jesus was in his days. He was even crucified for his radical views for God's sake!

Reactions: twenty02
OK, so Mary committed an adultery. Wasn't that a sin in those days? I suppose it still is.

I am quite well versed in Christianity. If I meet you to discuss religion, including Christianity, I can certainly hold my own quite well. After all, I was born a Christian. My mother, my brother, and two of my uncles were preachers. I've read all 66 books of the Bible, cover to cover, several times. Along the way, I have read books of other religions as well.

Yes, I can certainly debate the issues with you, although I doubt whether it will change your mind or mine for the matter, especially since you don't even recognize what a radical Jesus was in his days. He was even crucified for his radical views for God's sake!

What church denomination did your mother preach in? Admire you reading all the books of the Bible multiple times. Did you read out of interest or pushed by mother?

What church denomination did your mother preach in? Admire you reading all the books of the Bible multiple times. Did you read out of interest or pushed by mother?
Methodist.
I was religious as a boy.
i went to a Methodist high school.
It was in college when I got into religious skepticism, as well as digging into other religions and other things in more serious manner. Majoring in Physics probably widened my view of religion.

My mother was not a pushing type. She always told me that I would have to shape my own life as I view it. She passed away just after my graduation. So, she did not see me how I became semi-radical on religion. Well, actually, I still am not radical, but I just do not approve religious bigotry.

It may also interest you in knowing that 2 of my best friends are preachers, one of whom I led to Christianity when he was my classmate in junior high. Three of us get together for lunch once a month. We discuss everything from politics to religion, and others, you know the kind of things old pals do when they get together. They know where I stand on politics and religion, and I know where they stand. We still discuss and argue about them, but in very civil manner.

Reactions: stollcpa
In my opinion anyone who votes for a candidate because some celebrity endorses them is beyond hope. Obviously they aren't able to think for themselves.

So you maintain that everyone who voted for Trump (celebrity who endorsed himself) is beyond hope? I agree. But it does seem a particularly vacuous argument for any of the minority of voters who voted FOR Trump to make, when talking about OTHER celebrities.

Reactions: T.M.P. and meridian

John 5:18 For this reason they tried all the more to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God. The above verse points out that the Jews, understood that to be the Son of God meant that one was in equality with God. Jesus said in John 10:30 I and the Father are One. The word one there is used to denote something to be the same essence as another thing. Jesus is saying there that He and the Father are of the same essence. What this means is that whatever makes God the Father God the Son of God possesses. The same with be said of the Holy Spirit. As I said in another thread the Pharisees were the religious conservatives of their day. The Sadducees were the liberals. Jesus agreed with the Pharisees far more than He did with them. For instance the Sadducees only believed the first five books of the Bible were authorative ie God's Word. The Pharisees accepted Genesis to Malachi. The Sadducees did not believe in life after death. The Pharisees did. Now the truth is both groups hated Jesus for different reasons. So He upset everyone, except for those who believed in Him for eternal life. I suppose the same can be said today. We who believe in Jesus as the Son of God and as Savior love Him while others have negative feelings about Him because they don't believe. I get it. If Jesus tells you that He is the only one who can save you ie John 14:6 I am the Way, The Truth, and The LIfe, no one comes to the Father except through me, and you don't believe that then you will have bad feelings towards Jesus.

What, you think this is just about jobs? What about human rights? Vic remembers the summer of 2017 when a group of Trump loving white nationalists marched in Charlottesville and after the tragedy of that weekend Trump refused to condemn them. And ya know perhaps some people actually understand that the NFL players who were kneeling did so as a protest of human rights and not as a disrespect to our flag or military.
I didn’t realize you were in his head or the NFL guys.... think you might be making some assumptions there?

As you put it “some” people might think that about the NFL players. But.....

No one is born a Christian. We are all born of sin, and must be "born again" to be Christian. Some Christians are baptized as infants, most believe that no one can come to Christ unless call by the Holy Spirit.
Christ, with the knowledge of God would certainly be radical in any age, but especially speaking to the Jewish people as the Son or the Most High. God said that "my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are my ways your ways.
Being a liberal or Antifa does not liken one to God. I pray for God's will, not my will when I pray for leadership in our country, and I pray for wisdom not knowledge when dealing with my fellow man.
I normally advocate for open mindedness tempered with wisdom when seeking a path, but one must believe that the Bible is the Word (another name for Jesus) of God, and ask for wisdom from God while reading it. And then there is faith, (a stumbling block for many) for the Bible says "it is impossible to please God without it.
I apologize for following up on this thread as I previously said I wouldn't.
I pray others will examine God's Word with an open heart.

Reactions: Morrison

Lots of Russian bots/reddit thedonald people who aren't actually his fans spamming the comments.

Personally very proud of him for using his platform.

I'm sure V.O. is well-versed in economics and politics with all of his spare time (/s).

I have no idea who Donnelly is or if I would like him or not (moderate Dem?), but I still like V.O. regardless of his politics b/c he is a really nice guy and does things the right way. Basically, the opposite of R. Westbrook.

Reactions: meridian
I'm sure V.O. is well-versed in economics and politics with all of his spare time (/s).

I have no idea who Donnelly is or if I would like him or not (moderate Dem?), but I still like V.O. regardless of his politics b/c he is a really nice guy and does things the right way. Basically, the opposite of R. Westbrook.
VO is my favorite player too! I don't care whether he is a Democrat or a Republican. I don't care whether he is a Presbyterian, Methodist, Mormon, Buddhist, or atheist. He is a great basketball player, an ex IU player, and a great human being.

Reactions: MrBing
VO is my favorite player too! I don't care whether he is a Democrat or a Republican. I don't care whether he is a Presbyterian, Methodist, Mormon, Buddhist, or atheist. He is a great basketball player, an ex IU player, and a great human being.

Only met him once, but enjoyed every second of my three minute conversation with him. Very humble. Also loved IU, which helps :)

No one is born a Christian. We are all born of sin, and must be "born again" to be Christian. Some Christians are baptized as infants, most believe that no one can come to Christ unless call by the Holy Spirit.
Christ, with the knowledge of God would certainly be radical in any age, but especially speaking to the Jewish people as the Son or the Most High. God said that "my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are my ways your ways.
Being a liberal or Antifa does not liken one to God. I pray for God's will, not my will when I pray for leadership in our country, and I pray for wisdom not knowledge when dealing with my fellow man.
I normally advocate for open mindedness tempered with wisdom when seeking a path, but one must believe that the Bible is the Word (another name for Jesus) of God, and ask for wisdom from God while reading it. And then there is faith, (a stumbling block for many) for the Bible says "it is impossible to please God without it.
I apologize for following up on this thread as I previously said I wouldn't.
I pray others will examine God's Word with an open heart.

Agree with all of this, and might I add that being a conservative does not liken one to God, as well.

ADVERTISEMENT