ADVERTISEMENT

Vanity Fair article on COVID

IUCrazy2

Hall of Famer
Mar 7, 2004

I had this buried in another thread. Ignoring the CYA in the article by the press (How could we take this seriously, because you know, Orange Man Bad and we are uninquisitive morons...), the facts presented in the article are damning of our expert and elite classes (I use both of those terms very loosely given the info in the article).

Full stop, I hear that Republicans or Conservatives are anti-intellectual, anti-science, conspiracists who believe big lies because it fits their politics. Yeah, about that....

Edit: Follow up question, how would the election have turned out if the Hunter Biden laptop facts and the "China probably is responsible for this virus" news was actually followed up and reported on instead of being squashed by the media and big tech?

I had this buried in another thread. Ignoring the CYA in the article by the press (How could we take this seriously, because you know, Orange Man Bad and we are uninquisitive morons...), the facts presented in the article are damning of our expert and elite classes (I use both of those terms very loosely given the info in the article).

Full stop, I hear that Republicans or Conservatives are anti-intellectual, anti-science, conspiracists who believe big lies because it fits their politics. Yeah, about that....

Edit: Follow up question, how would the election have turned out if the Hunter Biden laptop facts and the "China probably is responsible for this virus" news was actually followed up and reported on instead of being squashed by the media and big tech?
Unbelievable.

A lot of the denying that has gone on in the scientific community sounds an awful lot like the resident ”scientist” on this very board. It’s not hard to see why some aren’t willing to take testimony of scientists at face value. Just as many agendas there as within the political community, and many, like Shitter, allow politics to wall off plausible possibilities & end up looking like fools....

Heavy read.

My trailer park take is that people took a position on one side or the other early on, then they all have been defending same said positions. While it will probably take longer than it should (I doubt they'll get to the bottom of this in 90 days), I think the truth will eventually be known.

Expect the CCP bots to weigh in shortly...

The Pangolin wants to know where it should go to get its reputation back...

Last edited:
Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls

That all makes sense, but, as someone who is not a doctor or a scientist, do I need to care about it?
Probably not. “If it was ever a lab leak, WHO would want to know and make sure it never happens again,” says Gallo. But “you’re not going to gain anything out of knowing one way or another.”

• Wow
Reactions: largemouth and 76-1

That all makes sense, but, as someone who is not a doctor or a scientist, do I need to care about it?
Probably not. “If it was ever a lab leak, WHO would want to know and make sure it never happens again,” says Gallo. But “you’re not going to gain anything out of knowing one way or another.”
Move along...nothing to see here. Forget you were lied to and gaslit for a year and that this type of research would have shown to be extremely dangerous, just go about your business sending Tweets to own the Trumptards. We got this.

My guess is that the author of the Slate article has not yet read the Vanity Fair article.

Reactions: 76-1
Some very serious problems here at many levels. Mainly dealing with a scientific and political class that was more obsessed with going out of their way to not appear xenophobic than they were about being open- minded scientists.

The knee jerk reaction to quickly not calling this the Wuhan virus was just the start (when are Ebola, West Nile, Zika, Lyme, etc going to renamed?) .

The Chinese consistently lying and blocking the international community was a giant warning sign that something was seriously off with this. Now we find out that the Lancet letter was seriously compromised, lacking unbiased integrity.

I think this is only the start. Maybe the world will finally begin to coalesce around the China problem.

Some very serious problems here at many levels. Mainly dealing with a scientific and political class that was more obsessed with going out of their way to not appear xenophobic than they were about being open- minded scientists.

The knee jerk reaction to quickly not calling this the Wuhan virus was just the start (when are Ebola, West Nile, Zika, Lyme, etc going to renamed?) .

The Chinese consistently lying and blocking the international community was a giant warning sign that something was seriously off with this. Now we find out that the Lancet letter was seriously compromised, lacking unbiased integrity.

I think this is only the start. Maybe the world will finally begin to coalesce around the China problem.
Isn’t this the quintessential problem with Wokeism?

Good news, it was only 1/10 the Holocaust in 1 year. :rolleyes:

Isn’t this the quintessential problem with Wokeism?
Absolutely. Our woke left was more worried about labels than answers while trump was preoccupied with the economy. So now we’re a year and a half or more out, as who knows the true genesis of Covid, trying to conduct an inquiry of a country/lab that’s had so much time to shred and sanitize salient and incriminating data that who knows if we’ll ever get to the truth. It’s disgusting.

Further what’s being done about it today? What’s to prevent it from happening again with this type of research? What new precautions are being implemented to prevent same?

Do we have Covid commissions to examine our allocations and funding for research? To examine WHO? NIH? HHS? CDC? Or are we still chiefly concerned about the words we use? China destroyed the world for more than a year and I can still hear the reporters grilling trump about calling it the China virus. Woke culture ....

Last edited:
So, lying about Covid for political reasons is bad?

Got it.
I expect politicians to lie about everything but I've always hoped that scientists would be scientists and not lie to us. There doesn't seem to be anyone to trust any more. I used to really respect the CDC and thought they were a great organization with great leaders and felt the same way about the NIH but now I don't trust them any more than the politicians.

I expect politicians to lie about everything but I've always hoped that scientists would be scientists and not lie to us. There doesn't seem to be anyone to trust any more. I used to really respect the CDC and thought they were a great organization with great leaders and felt the same way about the NIH but now I don't trust them any more than the politicians.
Follow the science....

How naive. Didn't you read The Stand ?

I'll say this. With this news coming out, I now hold former CDC Director Robert Redfield in much higher regards than either Fauci or that bureaucratic dildo Francis Collins. And those so-called "scientists" who were threatening to kill him after that interview with that CNN hack, Gupta, well let's just say there's a special place in hell for those gutless Chinese Communist Party interference-runners.

Last edited:
How naive. Didn't you read The Stand ?
Just so we are clear now, you went from a position that all the people who said that this was a "China Virus" were crazy, Trump deranged, conspiracy theorists who could not follow the science to a position that you should not trust anyone, including scientists because haven't you read this piece of fiction by Stephen King?

LMAO.

I'll say this. With this news coming out, I now hold former CDC Director Robert Redfield in much higher regards than either Fauci or that bureaucratic dildo Francis Collins. And those so-called "scientists" who were threatening to kill him after that interview with that CNN hack, Gupta, well let's just say there's a special place in hell for those gutless Chinese Communist Party interference-runners.
Little will come of this - Dems in Congress are far more interested in the 90 minutes at the capitol (despite the squad with their ptsd either voting no or present on more Capitol police funding lmfao) than the year and a half China destroyed the world.

Last edited:

plenty of cringeworthy content still:

And yet, in the wake of the Lancet statement and under the cloud of Donald Trump’s toxic racism, which contributed to an alarming wave of anti-Asian violence in the U.S., one possible answer to this all-important question remained largely off-limits until the spring of 2021.

Little will come of this - Dems in Congress are far more interested in the 90 minutes at the capitol (despite the squad either voting no or present on more Capitol police funding lmao) than the year and a half China destroyed the world.
No question about it. Especially, now that Fauci is backpeddling on us funding the "gain-of-function" research through the third party.

I remember that line from the movie Nixon, something to the effect of, When you start to pull back that scab, you're gonna find a lot of pus.

Reactions: 76-1 and mcmurtry66
Just so we are clear now, you went from a position that all the people who said that this was a "China Virus" were crazy, Trump deranged, conspiracy theorists who could not follow the science to a position that you should not trust anyone, including scientists because haven't you read this piece of fiction by Stephen King?

LMAO.
I did? Where?

Oh, and...
ed7aa2c342bf73b7dd6e4b8e150b5507.gif

Except it was totally predictable there would be repercussions for Asian Americans. Maybe the name wouldn't have mattered as the baseless attacks happened anyway. But why throw fuel on the fire?

Except it was totally predictable there would be repercussions for Asian Americans. Maybe the name wouldn't have mattered as the baseless attacks happened anyway. But why throw fuel on the fire?
That’s the unfortunate part. The Chinese people did nothing wrong but Asians everywhere pay bc we have so many morons. But that’s immaterial to the press - whose attention was more focused on woke gotcha politics than either doing it’s job and/or getting to the bottom of how China destroyed the world. I think back to those briefings and cnn reporters and the rest were absolutely disgusting. Total bottom-feeders with their preoccupation with woke bullshit. Totally bereft of the ability to think for themselves - just consumed with getting trump. Scum. If trump had half a brain he would have stopped the briefings after the first one, stuck fauci in a cube, and released periodic written statements.

Last edited:
Reactions: mushroomgod_1

LOL.

Fvckin' Slate. Why not Salon or The Nation?

Here's a bipartisan winner....

Poll: 83 percent support US action against China if Wuhan lab theory is proven true​

Yeah, let's send 'em a bill or maybe boycott the 2022 winter Olympic Games.

Strikes me a little odd that Redfield knows it was scientists who threatened to kill him. I assume he would report it to the FBI. That would be a felony.

Maybe he did.
Hope so. It just seems odd. You have to know who threatened you to know they are a scientist. Not trying to nitpick the larger story, but this sub-story of threatening scientists is getting a lot of play.

Hope so. It just seems odd. You have to know who threatened you to know they are a scientist. Not trying to nitpick the larger story, but this sub-story of threatening scientists is getting a lot of play.
Yeah I don’t much care. The larger story is appalling and demands answers and accountability. I hope the world doesn’t relent

Reactions: Crayfish57 and 76-1
Move along...nothing to see here. Forget you were lied to and gaslit for a year and that this type of research would have shown to be extremely dangerous, just go about your business sending Tweets to own the Trumptards. We got this.

It hasn't been proven that the virus escaped the lab, although that seems to be the most likely scenario. What this turd ignores is that the problem is not the conclusion, but rather the process. The Dems, the relevant portion of the scientific community, and the MSM combined to quash all dissenting opinion. That was just fine with the usual suspects on this board. The excuse that the matter could not be honestly investigated because Trump was expressing his view is asinine.

It hasn't been proven that the virus escaped the lab, although that seems to be the most likely scenario. What this turd ignores is that the problem is not the conclusion, but rather the process. The Dems, the relevant portion of the scientific community, and the MSM combined to quash all dissenting opinion. That was just fine with the usual suspects on this board. The excuse that the matter could not be honestly investigated because Trump was expressing his view is asinine.
Today it came out that the Washington Post recently went back and changed a headline concerning Tom Cotton's original comments that the virus might have escaped the lab. They were caught by the Daily Wire, and then added an explanation of why they changed the headline. Corrupt as hell.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT