ADVERTISEMENT

Vanity Fair article on COVID

I did? Where?

Oh, and...
ed7aa2c342bf73b7dd6e4b8e150b5507.gif

There was a very long thread on this issue back in the day.........I think it has been deleted.

LOL.

Fvckin' Slate. Why not Salon or The Nation?
Or the best site to read while your taking care of business on the toilet, Mother Jones.
Garbage in, garbage out.

I think David Korn was a flying monkey in the Wizard of Oz in his previous life.

plenty of cringeworthy content still:

And yet, in the wake of the Lancet statement and under the cloud of Donald Trump’s toxic racism, which contributed to an alarming wave of anti-Asian violence in the U.S., one possible answer to this all-important question remained largely off-limits until the spring of 2021.

They didn't want to get too far off the Liberal Reservation. Too dangerous to their safety and careers to only write a truthful article. They had to add a Trump reference every other paragraph. Pretty funny and pathetic.

Reactions: Crayfish57
Little will come of this - Dems in Congress are far more interested in the 90 minutes at the capitol (despite the squad with their ptsd either voting no or present on more Capitol police funding lmfao) than the year and a half China destroyed the world.

This and the Russian hoax are the two biggest political fraud stories of my adult life. I'd add the Dem's theft of the the '60 presidential election (see Richard Daley), but I was only 4 at the time.

Sure, right after we agree to pay $1000 for a 40 inch flat screen.

Warning: Incredibly flippant comment (but possibly salient?)
Samsung and LG TVs are made in South Korea and they are 2 of the most popular brands. The price of items is not going to shoot up astronomically if we detangle from China. There will be some price increases and some pain while supply chains are refigured, but consumer goods are not going to go through the roof.

Cheap labor is all over the place. There are a billion poor people in India that can be taken advantage of just as easily as the billion Chinese.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Should I hold up the "sarcasm" sign?

All of the proposed responses will have about as much impact as the "IU sucks" chants from the Purdue dolts.
Should I hold up the "sarcasm" sign?

All of the proposed responses will have about as much impact as the "IU sucks" chants from the Purdue dolts.
No sir. This is really bad if true. I echo mushroom’s sentiments with the woke vapid left (cnn msm) but I would add trump. He should have put his foot on their neck - but he was too preoccupied with economy/trade/financial shit.

I’ve read a bit about this enhanced research and apparently there’s value in it. All China had to do was make a timely admission that they F’d up. Shit happens. To conceal it and allow what the world went through is unconscionable.

We should all be up in arms if this was a lab leak and a cover up. Enraged. F yeah send a bill. Why should we subsidize their criminality.

Reply #2.

Of course we should be pissed. We - and not just the US, but the civilized world community - should drop Thor's hammer. But do you really have any confidence that feckless Ol' Joe and president Kamalalala have the stones to do or say anything but say, "Shame on you, Xi." should the worst come to pass?

Reply #2.

Of course we should be pissed. We - and not just the US, but the civilized world community - should drop Thor's hammer. But do you really have any confidence that feckless Ol' Joe and president Kamalalala have the stones to do or say anything but say, "Shame on you, Xi." should the worst come to pass?
I don’t know. I’m hoping joe’s got some fight in him. Harris I suspect worries more about the verbiage we use to describe the virus

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Samsung and LG TVs are made in South Korea and they are 2 of the most popular brands. The price of items is not going to shoot up astronomically if we detangle from China. There will be some price increases and some pain while supply chains are refigured, but consumer goods are not going to go through the roof.

Cheap labor is all over the place. There are a billion poor people in India that can be taken advantage of just as easily as the billion Chinese.
Yeah, that's why i warned it was flippant. But this detangling would take years and billions of dollars. I'm not sure the masters of the universe believe COVID forces their hand on that considering the cost. Worse yet, China knows that as well.

Yeah, that's why i warned it was flippant. But this detangling would take years and billions of dollars. I'm not sure the masters of the universe believe COVID forces their hand on that considering the cost. Worse yet, China knows that as well.
The government could make doing business with the Chinese more trouble than it is worth for the "Masters of the Universe" if the will was there. And it appears 80% of the public is on board. Did you know the Chinese are threatening a nuclear arms race in the midst of this too?

We are heading to Cold War 2.0, the sooner we stop enriching our enemy in this upcoming ideological conflict the better.

The government could make doing business with the Chinese more trouble than it is worth for the "Masters of the Universe" if the will was there

It could be a winning political issue with that kind of support. Then again healthcare reform (even Medicare for all!) was polling at like 60%. Certain gun control measures poll above 80%. Never happens. Polls are the fake sugar of the political world.

I'm sure people want to do something about China. But what that something means is likely 100 different things all with varying degrees of bite to them. Which means we'll never agree on what to do, only that something should be done.

Rinse. Repeat. Meanwhile, those with very specific (not varied) interests in maintaining the status quo will make sure that happens. God, I sound like IGW.

It could be a winning political issue with that kind of support. Then again healthcare reform (even Medicare for all!) was polling at like 60%. Certain gun control measures poll above 80%. Never happens. Polls are the fake sugar of the political world.

I'm sure people want to do something about China. But what that something means is likely 100 different things all with varying degrees of bite to them. Which means we'll never agree on what to do, only that something should be done.

Rinse. Repeat. Meanwhile, those with very specific (not varied) interests in maintaining the status quo will make sure that happens. God, I sound like IGW.

But at least you use capital letters, which you have going for you.

Reactions: 76-1 and larsIU
i love this quote: "the current congress doesn't seem interested" re establishing a fact-finding commission. hopefully biden steps up. congress in the meantime: aoc is talking about reducing violence through less jails and public health counselors. yes the gangs are desperate to sit down and speak with a counselor about their feelings. lmao. insane. in the meantime mtg is decorating her office with fan mail. making a nice big collage.

Reactions: 76-1 and Crayfish57
i love this quote: "the current congress doesn't seem interested" re establishing a fact-finding commission. hopefully biden steps up

We do that type of research (gain of function) as well and it appears that we provided some funding to that specific lab for the same. What could be found out from an inquiry would be just as likely to destroy careers here in the states as it would to galvanize people against China.

In other words, there are some very compelling reasons to some people in power to remain ignorant on this topic.

Reactions: 76-1
We do that type of research (gain of function) as well and it appears that we provided some funding to that specific lab for the same. What could be found out from an inquiry would be just as likely to destroy careers here in the states as it would to galvanize people against China.

In other words, there are some very compelling reasons to some people in power to remain ignorant on this topic.
agreed and understood. as i understand it we have labs in north carolina and another state doing the same research. but that doesn't speak to concealment and cover up. you can garner facts about the handling of the event without compromising the research that was done or spilling secrets

Reactions: 76-1
The government could make doing business with the Chinese more trouble than it is worth for the "Masters of the Universe" if the will was there. And it appears 80% of the public is on board. Did you know the Chinese are threatening a nuclear arms race in the midst of this too?

We are heading to Cold War 2.0, the sooner we stop enriching our enemy in this upcoming ideological conflict the better.

Not just a nuclear arms race...........flat out threatening to nuke us.

Between cyber threats, bio warfare, and nukes......scary. The problem with the Presidency is, what normal person would want that job? Only egomaniacs and political hacks need apply.

Reactions: 76-1 and Crayfish57
Heavy read.

My trailer park take is that people took a position on one side or the other early on, then they all have been defending same said positions. While it will probably take longer than it should (I doubt they'll get to the bottom of this in 90 days), I think the truth will eventually be known.
Bingo

All about laundry

You left out, "Lock her up", and Obama's tan suit/grey poupon (tie).
Not really. She actually did violate the letter of the law with regard to gross negligence in handling highly classified material with her private and unauthorized email server. The decision was not to prosecute her. That was a legitimate and important news story.

I don't get the tan suit thing and why people bring that up. That was a huge nothing burger at the time and very few seriously cared about it. I certainly didn't. I don't even remember any big deal about it. I do remember President Obama looked good in that suit.

Benghazi would be a better example to use.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
Not really. She actually did violate the letter of the law with regard to gross negligence in handling highly classified material with her private and unauthorized email server. The decision was not to prosecute her. That was a legitimate and important news story.

I don't get the tan suit thing and why people bring that up. That was a huge nothing burger at the time and very few seriously cared about it. I certainly didn't. I don't even remember any big deal about it. I do remember President Obama looked good in that suit.

Benghazi would be a better example to use.
Tan suits are great in the summer. Half way to happy hour

He should have put his foot on their neck - but he was too preoccupied with economy/trade/financial shit.

DO you really think, with the political climate, that he had any option to do this (foot on neck)? I'm not supporting "him", More so the position that he was in. He was trying to be as transparent, even more transparent than any previous admin's while the Woke was blaming him for it. Hell, boot on neck, would have pelosi starting impeachment #3, 4, 5,6 all simultaneously. You can hate him, but this was ONLY ever going to transpire as the MSM/ DNC woke handlers deemed it was going to happen.

DO you really think, with the political climate, that he had any option to do this (foot on neck)? I'm not supporting "him", More so the position that he was in. He was trying to be as transparent, even more transparent than any previous admin's while the Woke was blaming him for it. Hell, boot on neck, would have pelosi starting impeachment #3, 4, 5,6 all simultaneously. You can hate him, but this was ONLY ever going to transpire as the MSM/ DNC woke handlers deemed it was going to happen.
Playing the "Trump is a Victim Card" is a non-starter.

i love this quote: "the current congress doesn't seem interested" re establishing a fact-finding commission. hopefully biden steps up. congress in the meantime: aoc is talking about reducing violence through less jails and public health counselors. yes the gangs are desperate to sit down and speak with a counselor about their feelings. lmao. insane. in the meantime mtg is decorating her office with fan mail. making a nice big collage.

We have the government we deserve.

agreed and understood. as i understand it we have labs in north carolina and another state doing the same research. but that doesn't speak to concealment and cover up. you can garner facts about the handling of the event without compromising the research that was done or spilling secrets
Oh, I am not saying that we would be covering secrets. I am saying that people could/would be in trouble when we start to unwind the NIH funding of the WIV. That is one angle.

The other angle is that if it were the case that COVID was basically mutated or messed with so that it could be used to infect Franken-mice that are altered to have human lung tissue and then made it out into the world because of a mistake, that the scientific community and those who fund research like this in the U.S. would be likely to come under scrutiny as well. We lucked out that COVID was a more benign virus. What other viruses are being played with in the U.S. and China and what would be the cost if one of them got loose to the world?

That second one is a big one IMO. One of the articles I read said that if gain of function were truly curtailed that it would be quite a blow to how we study viruses and develop vaccines these days. There is a whole bunch of money involved in not being too curious about this that has nothing to do with top secret work. We have a rough idea what goes on at those labs, what we have always been assured is that there was minimal risk because of safety precautions that are taken by the labs. People may be a little less willing to believe that after a few million (worldwide) deaths, billions of lost economic activity, and just a general loss of being able to enjoy life the past 15 months that a leaked COVID would have inflicted on the world.

The notion that it leaked from a lab was never "OFF LIMITS".

The notion that it must have been a genetically engineered bioweapon was off limits, based on data, and Trumptards continued to confuse "lab leak" with "bioweapon" as being synonymous descriptions. They are not, and never have been.

Some human likely accidentally breathed in dust containing the virus in animal dung, be it bat dung or another animal that carried the virus, after having been infected by a bat.

Where did this likely occur? A cave, maybe. A wet market, maybe. A lab intern not wearing a mask while changing the bedding/ cage paper in a research facility housing animals? Maybe. The third scenario is by far the most common lab leak scenario. Poor animal handling practices. It happens in the USA, in China, everywhere. People take shortcuts. People mess up. The people hired to change the cage paper are not necessarily well-trained. It is a menial job.

A less likely lab leak scenario is that the virus was cultured in the lab and was then spilled, somehow, and accidentally breathed in, making the lab workers sick. This is less likely, since viral cultures (hard to do, in the first place) would be done under biocontainment level 3 protocols by people much more highly trained than those people changing animal cage bedding in the vivarium (the research animal care facility).

The still less likely lab leak scenario involves directed manipulation and intentional release. There isn't really any evidence for this, it makes no sense to unleash the bioweapon on the people in your own building or town, and it makes no sense to have chosen in the first place this type of virus as your bioweapon.

Reactions: UncleMark

I had this buried in another thread. Ignoring the CYA in the article by the press (How could we take this seriously, because you know, Orange Man Bad and we are uninquisitive morons...), the facts presented in the article are damning of our expert and elite classes (I use both of those terms very loosely given the info in the article).

Full stop, I hear that Republicans or Conservatives are anti-intellectual, anti-science, conspiracists who believe big lies because it fits their politics. Yeah, about that....

Edit: Follow up question, how would the election have turned out if the Hunter Biden laptop facts and the "China probably is responsible for this virus" news was actually followed up and reported on instead of being squashed by the media and big tech?
The most predictable next step: staff at Vanity Fair will threaten to quit if the article isn’t pulled.

Anybody want to offer me odds on this one?

The notion that it must have been a genetically engineered bioweapon was off limits, based on data, and Trumptards continued to confuse "lab leak" with "bioweapon" as being synonymous descriptions. They are not, and never have been.

Some human likely accidentally breathed in dust containing the virus in animal dung, be it bat dung or another animal that carried the virus, after having been infected by a bat.

Where did this likely occur? A cave, maybe. A wet market, maybe. A lab intern not wearing a mask while changing the bedding/ cage paper in a research facility housing animals? Maybe. The third scenario is by far the most common lab leak scenario. Poor animal handling practices. It happens in the USA, in China, everywhere. People take shortcuts. People mess up. The people hired to change the cage paper are not necessarily well-trained. It is a menial job.

A less likely lab leak scenario is that the virus was cultured in the lab and was then spilled, somehow, and accidentally breathed in, making the lab workers sick. This is less likely, since viral cultures (hard to do, in the first place) would be done under biocontainment level 3 protocols by people much more highly trained than those people changing animal cage bedding in the vivarium (the research animal care facility).

The still less likely lab leak scenario involves directed manipulation and intentional release. There isn't really any evidence for this, it makes no sense to unleash the bioweapon on the people in your own building or town, and it makes no sense to have chosen in the first place this type of virus as your bioweapon.

For god's sake, nobody serious is suggesting it was a bioweapon that was intentionally released. Why can't you just give it up?

It may very well be natural in the end, but the lack of access and availability is drastically reducing the ability to ever understand the root cause.

Egotistical pieces of shit like Richard Horton are doing nothing but making the problem worse by denying possibilities without providing concrete evidence.

Your first sentence is absolutely false. I agree with most of what you write on science topics but you are very very partisan. And you’re also nuts if you believe your first sentence.

WHO Called it "extremely unlikely" and were called out for not giving it "balanced consideration".

The Lancet posted a letter condemning "conspiracy theories" suggesting Covid-19 didn't have a natural origin and said it was from animals.

A NYT COVID reporter claimed it was "racist" to even talk about the lab leak theory.

Glenn Kessler, WaPo fact checker called the lab leak theory was "virtually impossible" based on an animation and interviews with scientists and went on to ridicule the idea of a lab leak, saying "we deal in facts".

Facebook and other social media outlets were deleting posts about the lab leak theory.

I can probably go dig up posts where you said it wasn't from the lab and mocked anyone who thought otherwise.

This BS is right up there with Iraq has WMDs.

WHO Called it "extremely unlikely" and were called out for not giving it "balanced consideration".

The Lancet posted a letter condemning "conspiracy theories" suggesting Covid-19 didn't have a natural origin and said it was from animals.

A NYT COVID reporter claimed it was "racist" to even talk about the lab leak theory.

Glenn Kessler, WaPo fact checker called the lab leak theory was "virtually impossible" based on an animation and interviews with scientists and went on to ridicule the idea of a lab leak, saying "we deal in facts".

Facebook and other social media outlets were deleting posts about the lab leak theory.

I can probably go dig up posts where you said it wasn't from the lab and mocked anyone who thought otherwise.

This BS is right up there with Iraq has WMDs.

There are two theories that are close but different. One is that a lab was studying COVID and it got out. Another was that COVID was created by the Chinese to unleash on the west. It is the second theory that is still doubtful. Could a researcher have accidentally contracted COVID? Sure.

There are two theories that are close but different. One is that a lab was studying COVID and it got out. Another was that COVID was created by the Chinese to unleash on the west. It is the second theory that is still doubtful. Could a researcher have accidentally contracted COVID? Sure.

The inference will always be the worst when you’re not open and transparent

There is a 3rd theory also. China (with some assistance from others) engineered it, infected a Monkey with it so that it can be explained as being transmitted from a Monkey.

The inference will always be the worst when you’re not open and transparent
Yes, that is a problem. In China the concept of "Face" is far stronger than the US. It means there is even more of a desire to hide the negative, even excluding the issues with the Chinese Communist Party.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Yes, that is a problem. In China the concept of "Face" is far stronger than the US. It means there is even more of a desire to hide the negative, even excluding the issues with the Chinese Communist Party.
And people understand this. Which is why it’s even more unforgivable that the liberal-controlled media and the Wokes ascribed the usual claims of Racism! when it’s really a very plausible outcome.

Im done listening to how unilaterally “dangerous” the loons on the right are. At least they’re for the most part a bunch of seniles or uneducated. The liberal assholes that don’t permit plausible discourse are just as dangerous to our society. If not more so.

Did you even read the article?

Edit: That probably comes across as snarky but some of the what ifs you posed are addressed by the article. Among them, some of this viral research in that lab was being treated as Tier 2 (protections similar to a dentist office) and therefore the level of protection you would expect did not exist at that facility.

There were mice used that were modified to grow human lung tissue. The military was using that site and conducting research parallel to the civilian side.

I am not seeing anyone on this forum saying this was a bioweapon released on purpose. I have seen people say that the potential that this research was being done as part of a weapons program and was accidentally released is a possibility. And it is. Almost anything is a possibility at this point.

Last edited:
The fear mongering continues:

and yet...

E3DIk4lWQAQbp0s

The reported number of COVID-19 hospitalizations, one of the primary metrics for tracking the severity of the coronavirus pandemic, was grossly inflated for children in California hospitals, two research papers published Wednesday concluded. The papers, both published in the journal Hospital Pediatrics, found that pediatric hospitalizations for COVID-19 were overcounted by at least 40 percent, carrying potential implications for nationwide figures.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT