ADVERTISEMENT

Vanguard

Cool that you’re all helping. I appreciate it. I’m just looking at the KGC as a little and one thing.
Someone I know who absolutely knows his way around says there’s boom to it.

On one hand you want something "safe", on the other you are following a hot stock tip of a "smart" friend on a gold mining company? Possibly one of the most volatile, speculative investments possible.

Are you schizophrenic?

On one hand you want something "safe", on the other you are following a hot stock tip of a "smart" friend on a gold mining company? Possibly one of the most volatile, speculative investments possible.

Are you schizophrenic?
I’m just constantly looking to learn man. If you’ve got knowledge for me, I’m for it. I’m a hard guy to make fun of though. I already know I’m flawed as hell. I want the best for you and yours though and everyone else.

I’m just constantly looking to learn man. If you’ve got knowledge for me, I’m for it. I’m a hard guy to make fun of though. I already know I’m flawed as hell. I want the best for you and yours though and everyone else.

Read this book rather than relying on anonymous internet posters and friends with hot stock tips. You'll learn all you really ever need to know.

Amazon product ASIN B075Z6HSCJ

then you can steer clear of bonds or treasuries and I wouldn’t keep any of it in cash

try to diversify. Small cap, mid cap, large cap

different geographical reagions and business sectors as well

there are mutual funds which make this easy for you, I’m sure vanguard offers them at a minimal fee or access to others at a higher fee
Vanguard is a no load fund, ergo no management fee nor buy/sell commission. Whether it is a good fund or else needs another thread to discuss.

Last edited:
Vanguard is a no load fund, ergo no management fee nor buy/sell commission. Whether it is a good fund or else needs another thread to discuss.

vanguard is a no load fund? I’m aware of what that means I don’t need your education on the matter

But what I was unaware of is there is a fund simply called “vanguard” which is what your post states

I assumed he was talking about the company vanguard, not this mysterious fund simply titled “vanguard”

If you really don't want to think about it, Vanguard offers a series of funds under the "retirement" umbrella called "Vanguard Retirement 2030," or "Vanguard Retirement 2045," or whatever. Pick your target year. They are funds with future target dates and they adjust their asset allocation over time. More aggressive in the early years and less aggressive as you come closer to the target year.

They call them retirement funds but they are just mutual funds. You can withdraw without penalty at any point. Well, I mean assuming there hasn't been a global pandemic and your portfolio hasn't been arse-fsked.

Can I ask how people are doing with their various funds this year? The bulk of my cash is in Schwab funds. I’m down almost 10% YTD. However, cash in other funds is positive to the tune of 3-4%.

To the point, do I need to have a talk with my guy?

Can I ask how people are doing with their various funds this year? The bulk of my cash is in Schwab funds. I’m down almost 10% YTD. However, cash in other funds is positive to the tune of 3-4%.

how are you in a 5 year, 10 year span?

That seems to be where I am. My fixed income fund is 3%. I've used the "Dogs of the DOW' investment strategy for many years without going completely broke.

That seems to be where I am. My fixed income fund is 3%. I've used the "Dogs of the DOW' investment strategy for many years without going completely broke.

Yeah to Twenty’s point above, I bet my Euro and international funds are dragging me down. I need to investigate a bit more.

SP500 is basically dead even, YTD.... which is more or less about half of my funds.

My small cap funds are down quite a bit still.... about 15-20% or so. Small caps have sucked for the last 2 years or so. Intl down roughly 8-9% (have sucked forever it feels like) . So all in all about where you are.

If you really don't want to think about it, Vanguard offers a series of funds under the "retirement" umbrella called "Vanguard Retirement 2030," or "Vanguard Retirement 2045," or whatever. Pick your target year. They are funds with future target dates and they adjust their asset allocation over time. More aggressive in the early years and less aggressive as you come closer to the target year.

They call them retirement funds but they are just mutual funds. You can withdraw without penalty at any point. Well, I mean assuming there hasn't been a global pandemic and your portfolio hasn't been arse-fsked.

These are fine and you can do a lot worse. However I'm not a fan of these if you are investing in regular taxable accounts, as their rebalancing and whatnot are going to kick out capital gains you'll have to pay tax on.. even if you don't actually sell anything.

I don't care for mutual funds in taxable accounts for this reason and recommended ETFs.... which by their design rarely if ever distribute unwanted capital gains.

Vanguard index mutual funds (not the target date funds) are one exception to where its fine to use mutual funds in taxable accounts. They actually have a patented process where they never distribute capital gains to fund holders. This is for any Vanguard mutual fund that has an identical Vanguard ETF. I'll not bore anyone even more with the details of how it works, but you can Google "Vanguard heartbeat" trades if you care.

Reactions: glmiu11
These are fine and you can do a lot worse. However I'm not a fan of these if you are investing in regular taxable accounts, as their rebalancing and whatnot are going to kick out capital gains you'll have to pay tax on.. even if you don't actually sell anything.

I don't care for mutual funds in taxable accounts for this reason and recommended ETFs.... which by their design rarely if ever distribute unwanted capital gains.

Vanguard index mutual funds (not the target date funds) are one exception to where its fine to use mutual funds in taxable accounts. They actually have a patented process where they never distribute capital gains to fund holders. This is for any Vanguard mutual fund that has an identical Vanguard ETF. I'll not bore anyone even more with the details of how it works, but you can Google "Vanguard heartbeat" trades if you care.
This type of post is why I started this thread. There have been many here.

id say go buy a Lamborghini.......look at the fine print on those specials!

https://www.lambonb.com/newspecials.html

Yep. Lease a used Lamborghini: another sound financial investment. It's practically common knowledge that car leases net huge returns. And especially so for Italian sports cars.

And I checked out your link and noticed that there's a steal of a deal for the 2017 Lamborghini Aventador LP750-4 SuperVeloce right now (whatever the F**k that is, I'm sure it's super sweet and totally worth it), offering a lease where you can finance it for as low as $3,698 a month.

And yeah, that base price doesn't include an actual top to the car, as this particular vehicle appears to be a convertible, but it's not even 4 grand a month right now to lease it; and one would have to assume you can purchase a car roof separately as an ensemble piece for what I imagine would be for an equally reasonably affordable price.

Better hurry though, offer expires tomorrow.

Yep. Lease a used Lamborghini: another sound financial investment. It's practically common knowledge that car leases net huge returns. And especially so for Italian sports cars.

And I checked out your link and noticed that there's a steal of a deal for the 2017 Lamborghini Aventador LP750-4 SuperVeloce right now (whatever the F**k that is, I'm sure it's super sweet and totally worth it), offering a lease where you can finance it for as low as $3,698 a month.

And yeah, that base price doesn't include an actual top to the car, as this particular vehicle appears to be a convertible, but it's not even 4 grand a month right now to lease it; and one would have to assume you can purchase a car roof separately as an ensemble piece for what I imagine would be for an equally reasonably affordable price.

Better hurry though, offer expires tomorrow.

that lease is also for 2000 (not 20000) miles per year with 60k down

I used to work in finance at a high end dealer and this is total insanity

I'm having my best year relative to the market in my 401k. Up 12 percent on a couple timely trades. Not always this lucky. Later this afternoon I plan to move more money into money markets and bonds.

Just don't feel like this run in equities can continue. We will see. In my 401k I have to watch frequent trading limits.

that lease is also for 2000 (not 20000) miles per year with 60k down

I used to work in finance at a high end dealer and this is total insanity

Holy shit! That's patently ridiculous. How is there even a market for something so absurd? I mean there isn't one, right? And I'm not asking that rhetorically either. I'm actually curious to know. Cause it doesn't seem possible that there's a space for that, not even for a single human being on the planet.

I don't care who you are or how filthy rich you are, because anyone who could truly afford a vehicle like that without breaking a sweat, they ain't bothering with no lease for no used one, having to put 60k down just to pay nearly 4 grand a month, only to be restricted to 2,000 miles a year on it. I mean seriously.

Reactions: BCCHoosier
Holy sh*t! That's patently ridiculous. How is there even a market for something so absurd? I mean there isn't one, right? And I'm not asking that rhetorically either. I'm actually curious to know. Cause it doesn't seem possible that there's a space for that, not even for a single human being on the planet.

I don't care who you are or how filthy rich you are, because anyone who could truly afford a vehicle like that without breaking a sweat, they ain't bothering with no lease for a used one, having to put 60k down just to pay nearly 4 grand a month, only to be restricted to 2,000 miles on it a year? I mean seriously.

it’s Newport Beach so who knows, but I can’t imagine anyone with that kind of money to burn wouldn’t also have the means to buy it

I’m a big proponent of leasing cars too but this is just stupid

Reactions: Timmy!
vanguard is a no load fund? I’m aware of what that means I don’t need your education on the matter

But what I was unaware of is there is a fund simply called “vanguard” which is what your post states

I assumed he was talking about the company vanguard, not this mysterious fund simply titled “vanguard”
Hate to hurt your ego, but I am sure he was asking about Vanguard funds. Why should he care Vanguard as a company as long as the funds are doing well?

I don’t know whether I should even bother responding to such a petty post, but here it is!

Yes, I am aware of a million funds Vanguard manages. I happen to own Explorer and MidCap Growth. Used to be a lot, but have been trimming down. Starting early this year, I turned my attention to companies that would benefit from TrumpVirus, such as NVAX, ZM, FSLY, as well as vaccine developers such as AZN, CASBF, and MRNA. You are probably too slow to guess where I got the funds to invest in these stocks. As a good friend, however,I will give you a hint; Look what I said above!

I am surprised to hear that the Schwab funds are down for the year, while the market has been going up like crazy.

Last edited:
One of the world’s wealthiest and most successful investors, Warren Buffett, is often asked how the average person should invest. His most common advice is to invest in a low-cost S& P 500 index fund because of its propensity to go up over time for investors with a longtime horizon.

Use his advice... If you don't need if for a long time I think you're crazy not do do something like that and forget the ups and downs in the market.

One of the world’s wealthiest and most successful investors, Warren Buffett, is often asked how the average person should invest. His most common advice is to invest in a low-cost S& P 500 index fund because of its propensity to go up over time for investors with a longtime horizon.

Use his advice... If you don't need if for a long time I think you're crazy not do do something like that and forget the ups and downs in the market.
Or, buy Berkshire Hathaway stocks(BRKA and BRKB which really are, in all practicality, loaded mutual funds. I used to own a bundle of both A & B (there are 2, I think.)
They have not been very good lately, which prompted me to ditch 3/4 of my holdings. They are still pretty good, better than mutuals. Furthermore, you rely on Oracle of Omaha for his good insights & judgements.

The market hasn't regained its losses from the January highs, has it?
There was a big drop in the beginning of March, but it has recovered all that loss and some. My portfolio has gained considerably for the year. Furthermore, if I am not mistaken, hasn’t Trump been bragging about how he has been responsible for the rising stock market?

Majority of our portfolio is in this. Read Bogle's books twenty years ago and haven't deviated much from his recommendations.

I'd highly recommend any investor read at least one of his books. And then get around to firing their advisors and other high cost investments.

Think I'll keep my advisor. My jp morgan growth advantage fund that averaged 18% annual returns over the past decade has me pretty happy.

Or, buy Berkshire Hathaway stocks(BRKA and BRKB which really are, in all practicality, loaded mutual funds. I used to own a bundle of both A & B (there are 2, I think.)
They have not been very good lately, which prompted me to ditch 3/4 of my holdings. They are still pretty good, better than mutuals. Furthermore, you rely on Oracle of Omaha for his good insights & judgements.
I was going to go the Berkshire route and then the pandemic hit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT