ADVERTISEMENT

Vanderbilt women's team to stay in the locker room for national anthem

Really? You speak for the Dead? All of them? Were you like anointed?

Seems awfully presumptuous, for my part am far more partial to the Living but again this is so not the point.

The dead and America's Veterans are universally revered by all, including those within the BLM movement. The charge of 'unpatriotic' effectively amounts to a convenient dodge for maintaining the pretense that serious change is unwarranted or anything other than long overdue. Americans are dying who are not US Servicemen and Women - it's their flag as well, and if their rights and liberties were protected with half as much fervor as the Flag, BLM would not exist and this wouldn't be an issue.

The Flag does not exist to hide behind or to obscure truth. Believe those Veterans would be among the first to say that freedom has to be fought for to maintain. Those that have yet to secure freedom do what they feel they must for the sake of equality and justice. And if that includes challenging convention by withholding their continued participation in public displays of reverence for the Flag, can you really blame them? In so far as the Flag is first and foremost a symbol of freedom, how better for those not accorded that freedom in equal measure to protest? For them this is not some dog and pony show but in some ways as much a matter of life and death for friends and families as charging beaches in the South Pacific. And yet they're expected to meekly bow their heads to that which symbolizes their plight just as much as it does liberty for others? Not the American way. Americans don't bow their heads. Americans fight.

Just out of curiosity, are you aware this photo was staged? Not to detract from those who fought on Iwo Jima or anywhere else, mention it only because the image has itself become a symbol, indeed the definitive symbol of the valor of American armed forces overseas, and because when one looks past a symbol to the reality behind it the story is sometimes different. Like the Pledge of Allegiance saying "liberty and justice for all". That's not exactly/hardly the case, so if one is going to ask the question "What exactly has America done to these ladies where they won't even stand for the National Anthem?" and not be disingenuous, perhaps it should actually and genuinely be asked, i.e., addressed to those who can answer.
Yawn. 😴

Reactions: ulrey
Maybe just like your life, eh? Doubtless any number of folk said the same thing about Rosa Parks.

Sounds like you resent something about their decision to take a stand against what they see as injustice. Guessing most Americans would characterize what they're doing as patriotic or perhaps even civic duty.

Of all the things to complain about in the world, this is pretty feeble, makes it seem as if you're not at all clear on how the USA actually became a nation in the first place and what it takes to achieve societal change. You're entitled to be dismissive, but at least they're engaged and trying to contribute.

Colin K. says hello.
really? He actually said that?

Nah, just that you missed my point so badly. That must be on me.

BTW...all black girls grew up singing in the church choir? Kinda racist don't ya think?

Having trouble deciphering your intent unless your response was a commentary on someone other than myself.

Your other comment is way off base. Who said anything about anyone's 'color'? Don't even how who is on the Team - for all I know they're mostly white and just trying to show solidarity with their 'sisters', be politically correct (whatever that means) or support a Teammate. Simple fact is that a lot of girls down south go to church and lots of them join the choir.

I like choirs.

Having trouble deciphering your intent unless your response was a commentary on someone other than myself.

Your other comment is way off base. Who said anything about anyone's 'color'? Don't even how who is on the Team - for all I know they're mostly white and just trying to show solidarity with their 'sisters', be politically correct (whatever that means) or support a Teammate. Simple fact is that a lot of girls down south go to church and lots of them join the choir.

I like choirs.

My first comment was a response to yours.

My second was TIC of course, just wanted to demo how easy it is to play the R card.

Maybe just like your life, eh? Doubtless any number of folk said the same thing about Rosa Parks.
Sounds like you resent something about their decision to take a stand against what they see as injustice. Guessing most Americans would characterize what they're doing as patriotic or perhaps even civic duty.
Of all the things to complain about in the world, this is pretty feeble, makes it seem as if you're not at all clear on how the USA actually became a nation in the first place and what it takes to achieve societal change. You're entitled to be dismissive, but at least they're engaged and trying to contribute.
Colin K. says hello.

Very well put. Thank you

How perfect to imagine that every protest is a protest against the Flag, and that every protester is acting solely out of self-interest. GLWT.
Colin K started protesting SPECIFICALLY to disrespect the flag. In his own words.

He’s been laughing all the way to the bank ever since. Heck, he’s got his own Ben and Jerry’s ice cream now. Colin Kapernicks ChangeThe Whirled.

Because nothing says social justice like a 6 dollar pint of ice cream.

Colin K started protesting SPECIFICALLY to disrespect the flag. In his own words.

He’s been laughing all the way to the bank ever since. Heck, he’s got his own Ben and Jerry’s ice cream now. Colin Kapernicks ChangeThe Whirled.

That must be why he started kneeling after speaking to a veteran.

You might want to look into what happens to the money he receives from B &J. Fool.

Let them try to protest in a Muslim Country. How far would they get? I bet there are a ton of young women in Muslim countries who would love to trade places with these women in the U.S.A.
Let them try to protest in a Muslim Country. How far would they get? I bet there are a ton of young women in Muslim countries who would love to trade places with these women in the U.S.A.

Nice dog-whistle comment "man of the cloth". What does "Muslim country" have to do with anything? Why not a Hindu or Jewish country? You should be ashamed of yourself.

Nice dog-whistle comment "man of the cloth". What does "Muslim country" have to do with anything? Why not a Hindu or Jewish country? You should be ashamed of yourself.
Because Muslim dominated countries in general have the worst human rights in the world. Not too difficult to prove

You are aware that Nate Boyer, a former active-duty Green Beret who had a stint in the NFL with the Seattle Seahawks was the person who advised Kaepernick to take a knee instead of sitting down during the anthem as a sign of respect.

Facts are inconvenient things

You are aware that Nate Boyer, a former active-duty Green Beret who had a stint in the NFL with the Seattle Seahawks was the person who advised Kaepernick to take a knee instead of sitting down during the anthem as a sign of respect.

Facts are inconvenient things
Facts indeed.

Because Muslim dominated countries in general have the worst human rights in the world. Not too difficult to prove

And what does that have to do with the Vandy women? The classic MAGA "whataboutism". Why not resort to "Hillary had a server"?

He started kneeling because the vet asked him to do so, instead of just sitting. Which was even more disrespectful.

A friend will tell you when you're pissing into the wind. Similarly, being a patriot doesn't mean pretending there's nothing wrong with one's country when that's obviously not the case. Just because it's America does not mean it gets a free pass.

You and your jingoistic absolutism - so threatened by the prospect of change and those who think differently, by those who do.

Am out. Better things to do with my weekend than contend with dolts. But here's a link on CK's ice cream deal. Guess you'll have to pull something else out of your ass to throw at him - shouldn't be much of a problem for you.

A friend will tell you when you're pissing into the wind. Similarly, being a patriot doesn't mean pretending there's nothing wrong with one's country when that's obviously not the case. Just because it's America does not mean it gets a free pass.

You and your jingoistic absolutism - so threatened by the prospect of change and those who think differently, by those who do.

Am out. Better things to do with my weekend than contend with dolts. But here's a link on CK's ice cream deal. Guess you'll have to pull something else out of your ass to throw at him - shouldn't be much of a problem for you.

What did that link prove? Not
Trying to argue just don’t see the point

Lol. I’m just responding to your nonsense about Kap not “disrespecting” the flag. That was literally what he SAID he was doing.

Good for him if he’s donating his share to charity. That’s pretty cool.

Of course, he’s still cashing those multi million dollar Nike checks while Nike is out there lobbying against the bipartisan forced labor bill in congress.

Lol. I’m just responding to your nonsense about Kap not “disrespecting” the flag. That was literally what he SAID he was doing.

Of course, he’s still cashing those multi million dollar Nike checks while Nike is out there lobbying against the bipartisan forced labor bill in congress.
Go play with your guns and STFU ..

Reactions: Bippy

Nonsense, eh? Like seeing what you want to see rather than what's actually there?

Did I ever specifically state that KP was not disrespecting the Flag? I did not, so f**k you and your quotation marks. I have some idea of why he acted as he did, highly doubt that he ever stated his intent as simply a means 'to disrespect the flag', and as you haven't offered any quotes, links or any other substantiation, have no reason to believe this is anything more than you believing whatever happens to suit you in playing fast and loose with the facts. Like the ice cream thing.

KP gave another million of his 'Nike money' this summer to charities. Ironic that you find someone who has done infinitely more on behalf of social justice, poverty and public housing than you ever will as lacking in patriotism or a discredit to America. Relative to you, he appears to be a national hero.

Apple, Coca-Cola and Nike, like so many other companies, have ever been more about self-interest than not. As the Uyghur Forced Labor Prevention Act is a fairly recent development, wouldn't be surprised if KP and perhaps some other noted sports icons push back by making a continuing relationship with Nike conditional. Or not - it's China and their transgressions make for a very long list. Note that none of the prominent athletes currently playing in any sport have stepped up and stated that they're hanging up their Air Jordan's until and unless Nike steps up - you have issues with them as well or is this just you picking and choosing where it suits you?

It was never about the Flag. It was about going against convention to do something that would force people to pay attention. It's truly unfortunate that so much of the ensuing discussion has been hung up on the symbolism of the act rather than the reason for it, but cannot think of what he could have alternately done that would have had nearly as much force and effect. Perhaps if he had started out kneeling AND with his hand over his heart much of the resulting negativity could have been ameliorated, but that ship has sailed.

Believe what you like, but consider that standing up (or in this case sitting/kneeling) for what one belives by choosing to act in a way that costs you your career, your endorsements, friends and the respect of many if not most of your Teammates, represents an extarordinary act of courage and commitment. A lot of that hardship and isolation has since been walked back, but at the time there seemed every chance that he was going to end up a lonely and broken individual. Anyway, there will never be a consensus on whether what he did was right or wrong, which is fine - the only consensus worth pursuing is general agreement that much needs doing to address the issues that compelled him to act in the first place. Thus do I imagine.

Reactions: T.M.P.
since you lumped my comment in there I'm inclined to respond. Not sure you are aware, but you are supposed to face the flag during our National anthem. So by boycotting the anthem you are protesting the song and the flag and what it truly stands for. They are all rolled up into one idea. Try arguing your point with someone who stood on Omaha Beach or made it out of Pearl Harbor alive. Or the Marines in Iwo Jima. I had two uncles who served in the Pacific in WWII. My uncle had two friends who were on the Indianapolis. After hearing their stories, you are not going to change my views on this topic. Never.

Bravo! Spot on.

I'm a veteran and spent time In the Persian Gulf, which isn't close to Omaha Beach.

It's clear these entitled twits need a history lesson and a spanking. Care to try me Riki?

Do us a favor. Stay in the Locker Room for the whole game. I won't lose any sleep over whether you played or not, or where you are rated or seeded going into the Tournament. When you use your energy to actually design a program to help your Community and be involved in it, let me know.

Bravo! Spot on.

I'm a veteran and spent time In the Persian Gulf, which isn't close to Omaha Beach.

It's clear these entitled twits need a history lesson and a spanking. Care to try me Riki?

Why? Clearly you think the real issue is disrespect (imagined) for the Flag, and by extension your service. If you'd read and understood my previous posts, you likely wouldn't imagine that the young women of whom you speak need you to tell them how grateful they should be that 13.4 of the US population are likely candidates/victims of systemic social and economic oppression simply because of their skin color/ethnicity.

How about Native Americans? Should they show unquestioning allegiance to the Flag? They're treatment at the hands of 'America' was far worse and yet many have served with distinction overseas no less than you. Would they be similarly indicted for turning away from something that to them symbolizes not just systemic oppression but certifiable genocide in order to bring attention to their cause?

What's funny is that 250 years ago the Royalist crackers in New England were saying the same shit about the Sons of Liberty crowd that you and yours are tossing around now - that King George and the Crown were not to be disrespected, that folk should be content, nay grateful for their lot as chattels of the so-called 'Commonwealth' (arguably one of the most hypocritical characterizations in history). So sure, go ahead, regale us with the historic justification for racism in America and explain why blind allegiance is de rigueur for those who do not find their own allegiance honored/reciprocated.

Wouldn't expect a combat veteran to be so quick to play the victim. Not for this anyway. As regards the VA, PTSD, shitty pay, little recognition, physical and emotional scarring sure, but this? You feel slighted because a bunch of young women are using the Flag to proclaim their disaffection with the status quo as it effects the lives of millions of Americans? It's a different battlefield mate, and am pretty sure neither you nor they are the enemy. Bit of mystery to me why you're not taking their side - in their limited way, they're fighting for this Nation's future no less than you once did.

Do us a favor. Stay in the Locker Room for the whole game. I won't lose any sleep over whether you played or not, or where you are rated or seeded going into the Tournament. When you use your energy to actually design a program to help your Community and be involved in it, let me know.

Here you go Pinhead. That's from a two-minute web-search. Not bad for a group of students given the demands of DI athletics. Guessing they've already done more for 'community' that you've managed in your entire life. If I'm mistaken do let me know.

Why? Clearly you think the real issue is disrespect (imagined) for the Flag, and by extension your service. If you'd read and understood my previous posts, you likely wouldn't imagine that the young women of whom you speak need you to tell them how grateful they should be that 13.4 of the US population are likely candidates/victims of systemic social and economic oppression simply because of their skin color/ethnicity.

How about Native Americans? Should they show unquestioning allegiance to the Flag? They're treatment at the hands of 'America' was far worse and yet many have served with distinction overseas no less than you. Would they be similarly indicted for turning away from something that to them symbolizes not just systemic oppression but certifiable genocide in order to bring attention to their cause?

What's funny is that 250 years ago the Royalist crackers in New England were saying the same shit about the Sons of Liberty crowd that you and yours are tossing around now - that King George and the Crown were not to be disrespected, that folk should be content, nay grateful for their lot as chattels of the so-called 'Commonwealth' (arguably one of the most hypocritical characterizations in history). So sure, go ahead, regale us with the historic justification for racism in America and explain why blind allegiance is de rigueur for those who do not find their own allegiance honored/reciprocated.

Wouldn't expect a combat veteran to be so quick to play the victim. Not for this anyway. As regards the VA, PTSD, shitty pay, little recognition, physical and emotional scarring sure, but this? You feel slighted because a bunch of young women are using the Flag to proclaim their disaffection with the status quo as it effects the lives of millions of Americans? It's a different battlefield mate, and am pretty sure neither you nor they are the enemy. Bit of mystery to me why you're not taking their side - in their limited way, they're fighting for this Nation's future no less than you once did.

Victim? You have absolutely no idea what that means.

My military comrades were my brothers...men of all races and religions. And we all fought for our nation and its symbols of freedom so loud-mouthed spoiled brats like you can proclaim what's right and wrong.

Don't tell me what I should think. I've earned my stance.

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978
Victim? You have absolutely no idea what that means.

My military comrades were my brothers...men of all races and religions. And we all fought for our nation and its symbols of freedom so loud-mouthed spoiled brats like you can proclaim what's right and wrong.

Don't tell me what I should think. I've earned my stance.

You think you hold title to understanding the reality of being a victim? That's sort of breathtaking. As is the idea that a symbol is more important than the substance or lack thereof behind it. In any case, victim can imply many different things. If you need to infer that my use of the term implied something more than a specific emotional or intellectual perspective in order to contrive and respond with righteous indignation and faux outrage, then you do. That's also playing the victim.

You invited a discussion, if you'd told me you were simply looking for an excuse to play your Veteran trump card and throw a virtual hissy fit I'd have passed. Never once told you what to think - not how it works. But one doesn't have to serve to 'earn a stance'. It happens to be right up there at the top of my list, but there are other ways, service of different kinds that accord credibility and standing to one's beliefs.

It's fine. You win. Your calculating logic, keen intellect, illustrative wisdom and worldly experience are so blindingly luminescent that only absolute gospel could result. Good luck with that, and with trying to dismiss social reform for people who also have brothers (and sisters), who also bleed and die for one another. They're all just "loud-mouthed brats" and/or "entitled twits that need a history lesson and a good spanking".

Que huevos. Quelle merde.

Nonsense, eh? Like seeing what you want to see rather than what's actually there?

Did I ever specifically state that KP was not disrespecting the Flag? I did not, so f**k you and your quotation marks. I have some idea of why he acted as he did, highly doubt that he ever stated his intent as simply a means 'to disrespect the flag', and as you haven't offered any quotes, links or any other substantiation, have no reason to believe this is anything more than you believing whatever happens to suit you in playing fast and loose with the facts. Like the ice cream thing.

KP gave another million of his 'Nike money' this summer to charities. Ironic that you find someone who has done infinitely more on behalf of social justice, poverty and public housing than you ever will as lacking in patriotism or a discredit to America. Relative to you, he appears to be a national hero.

Apple, Coca-Cola and Nike, like so many other companies, have ever been more about self-interest than not. As the Uyghur Forced Labor Prevention Act is a fairly recent development, wouldn't be surprised if KP and perhaps some other noted sports icons push back by making a continuing relationship with Nike conditional. Or not - it's China and their transgressions make for a very long list. Note that none of the prominent athletes currently playing in any sport have stepped up and stated that they're hanging up their Air Jordan's until and unless Nike steps up - you have issues with them as well or is this just you picking and choosing where it suits you?

It was never about the Flag.
It was about going against convention to do something that would force people to pay attention. It's truly unfortunate that so much of the ensuing discussion has been hung up on the symbolism of the act rather than the reason for it, but cannot think of what he could have alternately done that would have had nearly as much force and effect. Perhaps if he had started out kneeling AND with his hand over his heart much of the resulting negativity could have been ameliorated, but that ship has sailed.

Believe what you like, but consider that standing up (or in this case sitting/kneeling) for what one belives by choosing to act in a way that costs you your career, your endorsements, friends and the respect of many if not most of your Teammates, represents an extarordinary act of courage and commitment. A lot of that hardship and isolation has since been walked back, but at the time there seemed every chance that he was going to end up a lonely and broken individual. Anyway, there will never be a consensus on whether what he did was right or wrong, which is fine - the only consensus worth pursuing is general agreement that much needs doing to address the issues that compelled him to act in the first place. Thus do I imagine.

You are free to believe whatever you like. But Kaps protest was SPECIFICALLY about the flag, as per his own words.

Kap, after his original protest in august 2016-

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people and people of color," he told NFL Media in an interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

You are free to believe whatever you like. But Kaps protest was SPECIFICALLY about the flag, as per his own words.

Kap, after his original protest in august 2016-

What he actually said and what you claimed he said are two very different things. Once again, if you need/insist on finding things that aren't there in what you read, and characterizing events/individuals as you wish them to be rather than as they are/were, why should I waste my breath trying to explain the difference?

Sigh. He said nothing about intentionally showing disrespect to the flag as you alleged. He said, "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people and people of color".

Again, if you can't see the difference between that and your characterization of that, and I quote - "Colin K started protesting SPECIFICALLY to disrespect the flag." - then you can't and that's a damn shame because I'd expect as much from anyone with basic English skills.

Geez. Guy says about his wife, "I'm not going to kneel down to show love for a woman that beats my kids and my dogs". Did the guy say that he 'stopped kneeling SPECIFICALLY to dishonor his wife'? No, nt even close. Dishonor doesn't enter into it. Doesn't disavow loving his wife, say anything about divorcing her or that he doesn't believe in staying married, only that he's acting in a way to indicate (protest) that her actions are unacceptable and that he can no longer pretend otherwise.

KP was playing in the Bay Area, and became an icon for legions of inner-city kids and people of color in the Oakland/SF area and beyond. He took that seriously and apparently started feeling like he had to do something and/or didn't want to feel like a hypocrite by not doing something commensurate with the breadth and magnitude of the problem. Good for him, less than ideal that he acted in a way in one respect at odds with achieving his goal (winning hearts and minds), but arguably perhaps the only option for ultimately catalyzing a movement of sufficient size and import to foster change at a national level.

Enough. Should have just ignored the twit that started this thread. No one appears to be reading this with any interest beyond an finding an excuse to trivialize and disparage a lot of people that are trying to address legitimate and very real problems. Go Team. Way to represent.

What he actually said and what you claimed he said are two very different things. Once again, if you need/insist on finding things that aren't there in what you read, and characterizing events/individuals as you wish them to be rather than as they are/were, why should I waste my breath trying to explain the difference?

Sigh. He said nothing about intentionally showing disrespect to the flag as you alleged. He said, "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people and people of color".

Again, if you can't see the difference between that and your characterization of that, and I quote - "Colin K started protesting SPECIFICALLY to disrespect the flag." - then you can't and that's a damn shame because I'd expect as much from anyone with basic English skills.

Geez. Guy says about his wife, "I'm not going to kneel down to show love for a woman that beats my kids and my dogs". Did the guy say that he 'stopped kneeling SPECIFICALLY to dishonor his wife'? No, nt even close. Dishonor doesn't enter into it. Doesn't disavow loving his wife, say anything about divorcing her or that he doesn't believe in staying married, only that he's acting in a way to indicate (protest) that her actions are unacceptable and that he can no longer pretend otherwise.

KP was playing in the Bay Area, and became an icon for legions of inner-city kids and people of color in the Oakland/SF area and beyond. He took that seriously and apparently started feeling like he had to do something and/or didn't want to feel like a hypocrite by not doing something commensurate with the breadth and magnitude of the problem. Good for him, less than ideal that he acted in a way in one respect at odds with achieving his goal (winning hearts and minds), but arguably perhaps the only option for ultimately catalyzing a movement of sufficient size and import to foster change at a national level.

Enough. Should have just ignored the twit that started this thread. No one appears to be reading this with any interest beyond an finding an excuse to trivialize and disparage a lot of people that are trying to address legitimate and very real problems. Go Team. Way to represent.

I appreciate your posts. Unfortunately, while you are presenting facts and relying on reason and truth, the goofballs attempting to challenge you are merely relying on argumentum ad hominem. Their position is completely vacuous.

Reactions: rikki-tikka-tava
And we all fought for our nation and its symbols of freedom so loud-mouthed spoiled brats like you can proclaim what's right and wrong.

Please quit acting like your sanctimonious chest beating speaks for all veterans. It doesn't.

fwiw - that whole tact you took in this argument throwing your service in someone's face, just for argument's sake, cheapens all of it. It's a dick move. Maybe show some respect for your comrades, nation and symbols and not use them for such petty purpose.

Plus, you sound like a cliche' character in a poorly written war movie, Sgt Rock.

Last edited:
Reactions: rikki-tikka-tava
A+ for Kap's cause

D- on execution.

The goal was (or should have been) to win the hearts and minds of those that don't understand or care. To affect change. You don't do that by kneeling while the giant flag is being shaken and the eagle flies over section 240. Poorly thought through.

You can blame it on the target market if you choose, but the bottom line is it moved the needle in the wrong direction.

"Shame on you for not being affected, enlightened and moved" Doesn't work that way folks.

Marketing matters

ADVERTISEMENT