ADVERTISEMENT

Vaccine Shaming

Indvidual liberty should still stand for something in this country.

People used to believe things like "everyone is entitled their own opinion" and "I may disagree with you, but I will fight for your right to say what you believe."

I choose to get the vaccine.

I feel zero animosity toward folks who don't.

Throughout this thing, Covid has been politicized first, and analyzed later.

I say you get your info, and make your own decision.

But ... "don't drive drunk" and "don't make other people sick" have to walk hand in hand with "individual rights" too.

PS - I'd listen to this guy over Fauci - google his YouTube videos - "Dr. John Campbell" - he's a UK physician/researcher. Gives out non-politicized INFORMATION and don't give a damn whether it makes Trump or Biden look good or bad. Numbers are numbers and facts are facts. Good and bad.
Come on man!!! If the guy ain’t woke he’s not worth listening to.

We need at least 70% vaccinated, maybe 80%. Without that, this lingers. If we get there without you, fine.

COVID is a bit different than some diseases. Measles vaccine is dangerous to more people. Those same people are at real risk to measles. So we need to vaccinate everyone we can to save the people who cannot get vaccinated.

It appears far fewer have major health concerns with COVID, so the people at risk can get vaccinated.

At the moment, I would not say shaming is the answer. At the same point explaining that millions have been vaccinated and no one is dying or suffering long-term health issues. So suggesting people reconsider there decision isn't shaming but also I think a good idea.

70-80% is the goal. Let's get there

People who have had the covid have 90% or more immunity......where does that factor into your #s?

• Haha
Reactions: IU_Hickory
Not a Scientist or medical professional so I can't explain it.

You know...following the advise of credible people. (Sorry Trump doesn't count)

There's an article about this on a health-related web site called Advisory Board, from 3/2/21. I don't do links, but it's informative.

People who have had the covid have 90% or more immunity......where does that factor into your #s?
We know how much immunity people get from the shots, the amount from having COVID is wildly variable. Some people had COVID but had fairly low viral loads so their immune system is not nearly as primed. That may make a big difference when it comes to variants.

We are going to drive across the desert. You can start with an unknown amount of fuel in yourvl tank, or a full tank. Which do you choose and why.

We know how much immunity people get from the shots, the amount from having COVID is wildly variable. Some people had COVID but had fairly low viral loads so their immune system is not nearly as primed. That may make a big difference when it comes to variants.

We are going to drive across the desert. You can start with an unknown amount of fuel in yourvl tank, or a full tank. Which do you choose and why.

Take a look at that 'Advisory Board' article I referred to above.....must reading.

Take a look at that 'Advisory Board' article I referred to above.....must reading.
Thanks for that. I put vaccine and then vaccination in the search box. I then limited it to 2021 and dealing with COVID-19. Nothing dated March 3 appears. There is a March 4 story about studies on healthcare workers who are vaccinated and unvaccinated. If someone has found it, let me know.

Not a Scientist or medical professional so I can't explain it.

You know...following the advise of credible people. (Sorry Trump doesn't count)
Because vaccination prompts a huge antibody response, as if you suddenly had an enormous viral load. Moreover, all of the antibodies prompted by vaccination are neutralizing antibodies, specific for the spike protein, thus blocking viral entry.

Natural infection varies widely in its severity, in the viral load resulting, in the number of antibodies produced, and thus in the robustness of the antibody response. You may have gotten infected but at a low level. Plus, the antibodies made after a natural infection are vs. all of the many foreign proteins that are present in the virus, rather than just the spike protein, and many of those antibodies will not be effective in preventing transmission because they might not block proteins involved in viral entry.

Bottom line: if you got a mild, low viral load Covid infection and fought it off easily, you might be worse off in terms of antibody protection than if you had "got it real bad, then recovered" or (certainly) if you had gotten vaccinated.

Speaking of variants, natural antibodies far outweigh those produced via genetic modification. It’s why boosters are on the horizon.

Speaking of variants, natural antibodies far outweigh those produced via genetic modification. It’s why boosters are on the horizon.

The research I've seen says the opposite, have a source for what you're saying here? The fact that the mRNA vaccines produce antibodies against the spike protein that has so far stayed consistent across all variants has meant that they are more effective against variants than antibodies produced by an infection by one single variant.

Our healthcare decisions are a private matter unless and until they put others at risk. I and every person in a restaurant you walk into has the absolute right to know if someone near them has not been vaccinated.

You don't get jabbed, don't tell me and you pass C19 on to me and I give it to my Mom and she dies. You murdered her in my book.

I will be fully vaxxed but can still pick the variants up and pass them on.

I fully understand being worried about the pregnancy...Do what you want, but you need to wear a sign.
If you have been vaccinated then you are little to no risk from the unvaccinated. The argument about the unvaccinated is ridiculous as the unvaccinated are the ones at risk in a public gathering. This argument just shows people are dealing with the virus in a rational way.

Natural antibodies produced to a severe / high viral load infection are likely to be numerous. Many of them will be non-neutralizing antibodies that won't help you at all, but some of them will be to the spike protein or other proteins essential for the virus to survive and/ or replicate.

Natural antibodies produced to a nonsevere / low viral load infection are likely to be far less numerous.

"Antibodies produced via genetic modification" is utter nonsense, a meaningless term. The mRNA vaccines don't in any way, shape, or form modify your genome. They are a snippet of RNA delivering a specific recipe to the ribosome to make a specific protein. The recipe is read, the mRNA is chopped up, the protein is made in the ribosome, antibodies are produced, and all is well.

The reason boosters are on the horizon has nothing to do with antibodies arising from natural infection, as opposed to vaccination, or their differences.

Boosters are on the horizon because of natural genetic drift (aka mutations) in the RNA sequence of the virus that is infecting people, in particular, mutations in the amino acid sequence of the spike protein. Such mutations could render the antibodies produced, either following vaccination or following infection by an earlier form of the virus, ineffective at blocking viral entry. In that case, a previously vaccinated person needs a booster, and a previously naturally infected person also needs the same booster, as much or even more.

How many antibodies, what kind, and how does it compare with antibody production after vaccination? The Nature article addresses none of that. Sure, you will likely make a non-zero number of antibodies for years. When the number of effective antibodies drops below a certain level, though, you are not well-protected. That's true for infected people, for vaccinated people, and even for the common clay of the land. You know, morons.

Thanks for that. I put vaccine and then vaccination in the search box. I then limited it to 2021 and dealing with COVID-19. Nothing dated March 3 appears. There is a March 4 story about studies on healthcare workers who are vaccinated and unvaccinated. If someone has found it, let me know.
Marvin--March 2nd ...The headline is : "Just how likely are you to catch the coronavirus twice? Here is what new research reveals".

How many antibodies, what kind, and how does it compare with antibody production after vaccination? The Nature article addresses none of that. Sure, you will likely make a non-zero number of antibodies for years. When the number of effective antibodies drops below a certain level, though, you are not well-protected. That's true for infected people, for vaccinated people, and even for the common clay of the land. You know, morons.

See the article mentioned in my post just above.

Reactions: Lucy01
See the article mentioned in my post just above.
Here is the link. The article is good but troubling in one aspect. It does suggest those that do get it a second time may we'll get it worse .

If you have been vaccinated then you are little to no risk from the unvaccinated. The argument about the unvaccinated is ridiculous as the unvaccinated are the ones at risk in a public gathering. This argument just shows people are dealing with the virus in a rational way.
The antivaxers will continue to allow the virus to spread and mutate. Would love to see the green pass process being developed in the EU used here.

If you are unvaxed I have the right to know and you should be held out of events and buildings.

If you are making an ignorant choice like not vaxing, lord only knows what other poor choices you are making.

Period.

Reactions: UncleMark
We back to the idea of getting herd immunity through contracting covid? Sounds so much safer than just getting the vaccine...sarcasm

Here is the link. The article is good but troubling in one aspect. It does suggest those that do get it a second time may we'll get it worse .

That sounds like testing flaws if we are being honest. All of the other research suggests otherwise, so I would not start panicking, yet, unless you have an urge to.

See these:

People who had COVID-19 had an 84% lower risk of becoming reinfected and a 93% lower risk of symptomatic infection during 7 months of follow-up, according to findings from a large, multicenter study published late last week in The Lancet.

By March 15, 2021, fewer than 100 reinfections had been reported worldwide, mainly in countries with a high mortality burden. In most cases, reinfections were less severe than the initial infection

Seven months later, she presented again with Covid-19 suffering from a cough, headache, sore throat, fatigue and muscle pain. The second occurrence was milder and she recovered quickly, remaining off work for a two-week period in self-isolation.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
The research I've seen says the opposite, have a source for what you're saying here? The fact that the mRNA vaccines produce antibodies against the spike protein that has so far stayed consistent across all variants has meant that they are more effective against variants than antibodies produced by an infection by one single variant.
Watch This

Do you really expect an actual answer? Much less a listing of a reputable source? :rolleyes:

I see CNN has a story on their website that 60 million Americans are on immunosuppressants. That is why we need as many vaccinated as possible. That is about 1 in 6 that are not fully protected by vaccines or having had it.

Reactions: UncleMark
The antivaxers will continue to allow the virus to spread and mutate. Would love to see the green pass process being developed in the EU used here.

If you are unvaxed I have the right to know and you should be held out of events and buildings.

If you are making an ignorant choice like not vaxing, lord only knows what other poor choices you are making.

Period.
So I get this, are you going to tell every one of the poor choices they think you have made in life regardless of whether they are or someone else thinks they are? You would have done well in E germany.

Yeah, that would be relevant if what was being administered was a “vaccine”.

https://dailyreckoning.com/the-vaccines-arent-actually-vaccines/
Your post from your link has absolutely nothing to do with my post. The vaccines, and YES they are vaccines contrary to what the JBS paranoid crowd thinks, work by stimulating an immune response. In the case of the new vaccines, they teach your body to attack the corona part of the coronavirus.

But people on immunosuppressants do not have effective immune responses. Their bodies will not be able to launch an effective attack on an an intruder. Think of their immune system as being Italian.

A Tesla is a car, Moderna is a vaccine, fluoridated water is safe to drink

So I get this, are you going to tell every one of the poor choices they think you have made in life regardless of whether they are or someone else thinks they are? You would have done well in E germany.
Poor choices that immediately put them at risk?

They have the right to know.

We back to the idea of getting herd immunity through contracting covid? Sounds so much safer than just getting the vaccine...sarcasm
We’ll get to herd immunity via vaccinations and natural immunity of those that have had COVID-19, many of whom won’t also get the vaccine (some number will too) but will still have high levels of immunity. Worrying about those that have had COVID but not been vaccinated is misdirected concern. Those that haven’t had it or been vaccinated are the concern.

This article isn’t about herd immunity, but makes the point that those recovered, such as it is since the vast majority don’t have significant issues from contracting it, are not the concern.

We’ll get to herd immunity via vaccinations and natural immunity of those that have had COVID-19, many of whom won’t also get the vaccine (some number will too) but will still have high levels of immunity. Worrying about those that have had COVID but not been vaccinated is misdirected concern. Those that haven’t had it or been vaccinated are the concern.

This article isn’t about herd immunity, but makes the point that those recovered, such as it is since the vast majority don’t have significant issues from contracting it, are not the concern.

That article ignores a study showing far more antibodies were created by vaccines than natural. Now how important a body's response is is not clear.

If people really had COVID, I agree they may not need a shot. But I know several people who were sick last year who are positive it was COVID but were never tested. One was sick early Jan, 2020, almost certainly not COVID.

I suspect the behind the scenes fear is people intentionally contracting COVID to escape getting vaccinated. I will theorize people who think that way will decidedly not quarantine.

Is there anyone posting on the Cooler that hasn’t has Not been vaccinated?

That article ignores a study showing far more antibodies were created by vaccines than natural. Now how important a body's response is is not clear.

If people really had COVID, I agree they may not need a shot. But I know several people who were sick last year who are positive it was COVID but were never tested. One was sick early Jan, 2020, almost certainly not COVID.

I suspect the behind the scenes fear is people intentionally contracting COVID to escape getting vaccinated. I will theorize people who think that way will decidedly not quarantine.
The point is that those that have had COVID have some level of immunity. In some cases less than the vaccinated and some cases more. Given that, worrying about them getting vaccinated (or not) is wasted energy. The focus should be on those that haven't had it and haven't been vaccinated - starting with the most at risk and progressing to the least at risk that could get it and almost certainly not suffer any significant personnel symptoms and gain some level of immunity as well. Of course they might be putting the at risk people at risk as well, but the at risk also have some responsibility to not put themselves at risk. Between vaccinations and those that have had COVID and gained immunity we're definitely heading to a good place immunity wise.

Incentives work, by the way. Ohio's vaccinations per day went up 28% the first week after the announced the Vaxamillion program. Ohioans love lotteries. ;)

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
The point is that those that have had COVID have some level of immunity. In some cases less than the vaccinated and some cases more. Given that, worrying about them getting vaccinated (or not) is wasted energy. The focus should be on those that haven't had it and haven't been vaccinated - starting with the most at risk and progressing to the least at risk that could get it and almost certainly not suffer any significant personnel symptoms and gain some level of immunity as well. Of course they might be putting the at risk people at risk as well, but the at risk also have some responsibility to not put themselves at risk. Between vaccinations and those that have had COVID and gained immunity we're definitely heading to a good place immunity wise.

Incentives work, by the way. Ohio's vaccinations per day went up 28% the first week after the announced the Vaxamillion program. Ohioans love lotteries. ;)

And I will gladly point out that I liked the idea in the thread on the Ohio lottery. It is good to see new ideas.

I hear conflicting reports on herd immunity. Some say it is impossible, others say it can happen. We have not developed heard against other Coronavirus but this may be different. I see some think our immune systems will remember this corona forever, others think in a couple years our bodies will forget.

That is the problem with a novel virus, we cannot know until we experience it.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier

This may have been discussed, but do you think we should consider a sliding scale of covid at-risk in regards to other factors than co-morbidities? For example, school age kids are pretty low risk, but we do tend to shove them together, inside most of the day, in buildings that may be older and lack optimum circulation, in close proximity to each other, in an environment that is pretty hands on.
Probably not on topic, but as a fairly even-handed poster, I was curious about your opinion. In other words, should school age kids be required to be vaccinated to attend a typical public school...in your opinion...from one even-handed poster to another?

;)

This may have been discussed, but do you think we should consider a sliding scale of covid at-risk in regards to other factors than co-morbidities? For example, school age kids are pretty low risk, but we do tend to shove them together, inside most of the day, in buildings that may be older and lack optimum circulation, in close proximity to each other, in an environment that is pretty hands on.
Probably not on topic, but as a fairly even-handed poster, I was curious about your opinion. In other words, should school age kids be required to be vaccinated to attend a typical public school...in your opinion...from one even-handed poster to another?

;)
I don't think it should be required at this time while the vaccination is under emergency approval. Federal government employees, even the military, are still not required to have the vaccine. It's strictly voluntary though I'm sure they're encouraged and the vaccine is readily available to them as it is to the entire population at this point. Until we require federal employees to take it, we shouldn't be requiring school kids at any age to have it. Besides, they are the least at-risk of all of us. Except for those with health issues - and I highly encourage them to take it. We should encourage them all, in fact, with incentives. However, not mandate it at this stage.

I don't think it should be required at this time while the vaccination is under emergency approval.

So is it the EUA designation (as opposed to full approval) that's the difference maker in your mind? Since other fully approved inoculations are required without rancor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT