ADVERTISEMENT

Vaccine Shaming

This may have been discussed, but do you think we should consider a sliding scale of covid at-risk in regards to other factors than co-morbidities? For example, school age kids are pretty low risk, but we do tend to shove them together, inside most of the day, in buildings that may be older and lack optimum circulation, in close proximity to each other, in an environment that is pretty hands on.
Probably not on topic, but as a fairly even-handed poster, I was curious about your opinion. In other words, should school age kids be required to be vaccinated to attend a typical public school...in your opinion...from one even-handed poster to another?

;)
I was talking to the parents about this at school just this week. The consensus seemed to be for sure at the high school but reluctance at the elementary

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
I was talking to the parents about this at school just this week. The consensus seemed to be for sure at the high school but reluctance at the elementary
Because of the uncertainty of effects of the virus? Then, can I assume they have no problem with prolonging the wearing of masks and other social distancing guidelines?

Because of the uncertainty of effects of the virus? Then, can I assume they have no problem with prolonging the wearing of masks and other social distancing guidelines?
yeah just because of the uncertainty with kids from 1st through 5th. yeah they don't mind masks. most of them walk the neighborhood outside in masks. fauci is the defacto mayor of our town

Reactions: stollcpa
That article ignores a study showing far more antibodies were created by vaccines than natural. Now how important a body's response is is not clear.

If people really had COVID, I agree they may not need a shot. But I know several people who were sick last year who are positive it was COVID but were never tested. One was sick early Jan, 2020, almost certainly not COVID.

I suspect the behind the scenes fear is people intentionally contracting COVID to escape getting vaccinated. I will theorize people who think that way will decidedly not quarantine.
Under current circumstances, people who CHOOSE to not get tested, and/or not get a vaccine, are and should be “on their own” through their own choice. They don’t live by our leave. They are free people, endowed with unalienable rights of thier own.

And under the current circumstances, the adverse risks are no longer so high that government - the collective “We” - which is required to use the least-restrictive means when acting to limit such unalienable rights - can’t make them. Hell, the Collective We can’t and shouldn’t even be permitted to make them tell us their status. Private businesses and families and friends properly have more more power. But in the end, the unvaccinated untested get to choose.

And common sense says, (and eventually even science will say, after they have enough studies that even wimpy-assed lab nerds like Fauci can’t flip-flop or deny reason), that the current “threat” of the un-vaccinated to people who have immunity due to vaccination, and/or natural immunity from having had Covid, is miniscule. (SARS t-cell immunities have now remained fully-responsive in the human body for almost 20 years. There is no scientific reason to believe that human Covid immunities will not act exactly the same as prior human viral immunities.)

But Covid will continue to exist. As has been the expectation and FACT since the beginning, the vast majority who get it will never have symptoms, some will have cold-like symptoms, some will have flu-like symptoms and some will die. Some will have no lasting effects, and others will. Nature gonna nature.

The antivaxers will continue to allow the virus to spread and mutate. Would love to see the green pass process being developed in the EU used here.

If you are unvaxed I have the right to know and you should be held out of events and buildings.

If you are making an ignorant choice like not vaxing, lord only knows what other poor choices you are making.

Thanks Herr Josef Mao Pot.

Thank God we have a Constitution and a government to protect us from power-crazed science-denying lunatics like you.

You do not have the “rights” you claim, and the schools you attended should be closed.

Your insane fears don’t trump the actual freedoms of others.

You should move to a country that tells you when you can piss. You will feel very protected there.

So is it the EUA designation (as opposed to full approval) that's the difference maker in your mind? Since other fully approved inoculations are required without rancor.
That’s why it’s strictly voluntary for government workers. Why should other American citizens not be under the same rules?

But you could be convinced? What would it take to change your mind?
vaccinations are needed to have herd immunity. your health is a concern to society as I would want those who have leprosery to make me aware and do all they can to protect others.

vaccinations are needed to have herd immunity. your health is a concern to society as I would want those who have leprosery to make me aware and do all they can to protect others.
herd immunity ain't happenin. but enough will be vaccinated to return to normalcy and make covid a manageable threat

So is it the EUA designation (as opposed to full approval) that's the difference maker in your mind? Since other fully approved inoculations are required without rancor.

That’s why it’s strictly voluntary for government workers. Why should other American citizens not be under the same rules?

Fair enough. It's always about where to draw the line. If one has to be drawn in this situation, I guess that's as good a place as any.

That said, while a government mandate may not be appropriate, I still believe the private sector has the right to mandate vaccination for their employees and customers. My old employer is requiring those employees who can't show proof of vaccination to continue wearing masks; I think Noodle mentioned his firm is doing the same.

Fair enough. It's always about where to draw the line. If one has to be drawn in this situation, I guess that's as good a place as any.

That said, while a government mandate may not be appropriate, I still believe the private sector has the right to mandate vaccination for their employees and customers. My old employer is requiring those employees who can't show proof of vaccination to continue wearing masks; I think Noodle mentioned his firm is doing the same.
people shouldn't be compelled to inject something in their bodies. it should be their choice. and that choice comes with consequences. if private entities want to mandate it and restrict customers etc. i so go for it. that's their choice too. if your choice requires you to find another job. so be it.

the level of risk is relevant to the government’s rights/choices/powers

leprosy is different than cancer is different than Covid

in fact, courts asked to shut down or approve government Covid responses needed and were given stats/etc about Covid when deciding

I would really appreciate the board's thoughts on vaccine shaming. Prior to the vaccine being available, mask shaming was, and remains, a very prevalent issue throughout our society.

To be clear, I have zero issues with any of the available vaccines. I fully support each person's decision to either receive the vaccine or to not receive the vaccine. I will always be a firm believer in a person's healthcare decisions being a private matter and not something that is up for discussion unless that person so chooses.

Unfortunately for me, my wife's family has been pushing me and her to receive the vaccine. Upon learning that we are holding off for now, they were mortified and began lecturing us on why that is a terrible decision. Quite frankly, our decision is none of their business, just as their healthcare decisions are none of our business. We are the only family members remaining who have NOT received the vaccine. We do not have any individuals within either of our families who are in the at-risk category.

To be clear, we have gone out of our way to adhere to the health and safety protocols outlined by the CDC. We have also made a conscious effort to stay away from elderly people as well as those with pre-existing conditions. I'll gladly wear a mask and maintain social distancing when required.

Thoughts?
You wrote, "I fully support each person's decision to either receive the vaccine or to not receive the vaccine."

No you probably don't. At least not in an informed manner when you think about it.

People with tuberculosis or STDs have been required for decades to receive treatment.

I believe you already knew that. I doubt you started a full scale revolution over that issue.

Children/adults who want to go to summer camp or school have been required for decades to provide proof of vaccination for various diseases.

I believe you already knew that, too. Surely, you didn't start a rebellion over this one either.

Unless you started a revolution over these requirements, (which I doubt), you fully accepted them. There is no way in hell you "fully" supported a person's "right" to refuse vaccines no matter what anyone else said.

Covid resulted in a new vaccine and you have absolutely no factual basis to say, "our decision is none of their business." If you are willing to spew your contaminated droplets all over me (as you seem to say), I and the government have every right to tell you to get vaccinated and stop being a health risk.

As much as we all would like to live in a Garden of Eden Libertarian Paradise, we don't. We never have. Even ancient Rome had leper colonies. If you don't get vaccinated, I won't cry much if you catch it. Grow up and be a man.

My most significant concern is the potential for the vaccine to have negative effects on childbirth. My wife and I would like to start trying for our first child in the near future, and would like to wait nine months to a year to see if any women have complications in the child birthing process as a result of the vaccine.
Ahem, what is your personal understanding how many months of testing or actual use has occurred as of this date?

I despise federal government overreach. I'm a libertarian by nature and by choice. I'd rather be fully self-sufficient than rely on government to run my life and tell me what to do.
There is no way in hell you are "fully self-sufficient."

There are no more wagon trains on the Oregon Trail any more. You are not Robinson Crusoe. All those benefits you think you earned all by yourself were at least partially earned by the efforts of others.

Thank you. These are my thoughts exactly.

I have no issue with a person being afraid of COVID-19. That's fine! However, that person has a right to stay in his or her home and not be exposed to the virus. Meanwhile, a person like myself isn't going to live in a constant state of fear. I'm going to go out, enjoy life and make the most of the time I have here on Earth.
Yes, you are going to do that and spew your unvaccinated droplets onto me and everyone else, unless prevented. Whatever you do as an intelligent person, do not ever think as an intelligent person that your actions do not affect other people.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
Thanks Herr Josef Mao Pot.

Thank God we have a Constitution and a government to protect us from power-crazed science-denying lunatics like you.

You do not have the “rights” you claim, and the schools you attended should be closed.

Your insane fears don’t trump the actual freedoms of others.

You should move to a country that tells you when you can piss. You will feel very protected there.
How dumb. You are often a reasonable poster...you went all Bubba on us here.

It has gotten to the point that I will have no problem lying about having received the vaccine if that's what it comes down to. I will not be guilted into receiving the vaccine.
"Guilting" is the second to last resort. One would hope that reasoning, education orcommon sense might have gotten you there.

i read less than a quarter of blacks have received their first vaccination shot. herd immunity's never happening

Reactions: jet812
i read less than a quarter of blacks have received their first vaccination shot. herd immunity's never happening
No chance. It's just the Republicans not getting vaccinated.
We need the vast majority to get vaccinated. They should get vaccinated.
The chances of Dr Hoops ridiculing blacks for not getting vaccinated approaches zero.

No chance. It's just the Republicans not getting vaccinated.
We need the vast majority to get vaccinated. They should get vaccinated.
The chances of Dr Hoops ridiculing blacks for not getting vaccinated approaches zero.
the 75% of blacks who haven't received a shot yet are MAGA blacks, duh. What do you think the chances are that those 75 percent are masked up at stores.... and yes doc and outside etc ignore such info. Doesn’t fit their narrative

Last edited:
Agreed. Businesses have the right to set certain requirements just as individuals such as myself have a right not to patronize those businesses. Personal freedom and choice are what makes this country great.
Don't entirely agree that "personal freedom and choice are what makes this county great".

In my view, what makes the country great is all our individuals and businesses making the right choices and using their freedoms within a framework of contributing to our society. We all benefit when individuals, businesses, and the governments make the right choices which contribute to promoting the general welfare.

Health care is a good example. Most Americans have health insurance as provided by their employer. The cost of this insurance is determined by how healthy the employed group is. When employees are making the right health choices everyone in the group benefits. Along these lines, it could be argued that getting the Covid vaccine is the right choice, and the more people who make this choice the better it is for the country as a whole.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
Vermont has 57% fully vaccinated and about 80% of those eligible with one dose.

They have had not a single death in over two weeks, and statewide 3 people have been in the hospital with COVID. All have since been released.

This vaccination thing seems to work, in Bernie-ville.

E3XoVMXXMAguHjZ

status ~1 week ago:

Don't entirely agree that "personal freedom and choice are what makes this county great".

In my view, what makes the country great is all our individuals and businesses making the right choices and using their freedoms within a framework of contributing to our society. We all benefit when individuals, businesses, and the governments make the right choices which contribute to promoting the general welfare.

Health care is a good example. Most Americans have health insurance as provided by their employer. The cost of this insurance is determined by how healthy the employed group is. When employees are making the right health choices everyone in the group benefits. Along these lines, it could be argued that getting the Covid vaccine is the right choice, and the more people who make this choice the better it is for the country as a whole.
Health insurance premiums should be higher for people with greater health risks. That clearly includes those who choose to be unvaccinated. That's the only way the system works.

I would be receptive to having a civil discussion based on data and evidence with my wife's family. Unfortunately, they allow their emotions to control them, leading to me and my wife being lectured on how we "don't care" about other people by not receiving the vaccine.
My thought would be to look at my watch, act surprised, and say, "I'm sorry, it's later than I expected so, it's time for us to leave."

They are not going to change their minds; nor are you. If they are not respectful enough to allow you to have your own beliefs, and drop the subject, then nothing good could will come out of that discussion.

My thought would be to look at my watch, act surprised, and say, "I'm sorry, it's later than I expected so, it's time for us to leave."

They are not going to change their minds; nor are you. If they are not respectful enough to allow you to have your own beliefs, and drop the subject, then nothing good could will come out of that discussion.
Simply "answer your phone", reply hmm, yep, ohh.. .. Just how much blood and do you have any peroxide. .. Ok I'll bring the shovels.
Hang up, and tell them you have a friend needing help and have to leave.
Should solve this future discussions.

Health insurance premiums should be higher for people with greater health risks. That clearly includes those who choose to be unvaccinated. That's the only way the system works.
What about pre existing conditions then? How is that any different?

To be clear, his wife has a semi-reasonable cause, COVID has known negative effects on people and this is about a fear of the unknown. He will not be the one giving birth, so I'm not finding his wife's pregnancy a particularly convincing reason for him to avoid the vaccine.
I am not entirely sure what to think of this guy. He claims to have medical concerns about a vaccine's effect on pregnancies but doesn't seem to have researched that issue very well and doesn't even specify which vaccine(s) he thinks might have the side effects he talks about. Nor does he say he and his wife ever consulted a doctor about a vaccine's effects on pregnancies. Then, his other posts make him sound totally uninformed of the dangers vaccinated people might bring to unvaccinated people -- again suggesting he hasn't done much medical research.

He revealed in Post 16 that he claimed to be a "libertarian" and doesn't want the government to "tell me what to do."

Then, in his Post 18, he wrote:

"I have no issue with a person being afraid of COVID-19. That's fine! However, that person has a right to stay in his or her home and not be exposed to the virus. Meanwhile, a person like myself isn't going to live in a constant state of fear. I'm going to go out, enjoy life and make the most of the time I have here on Earth."​

Think about that -- he claims people he calls "afraid of COVID-19" must stay home and isolate themselves, so that he can go out and enjoy life without getting vaccinated if he chooses. In other words, everyone else must change their lives to accommodate his "libertarian" life.

I'm not sure the medical issues he raised are the main reason he doesn't want to be vaccinated.

Apologies to MikeHoncho if I'm wrong.

Think about that -- he claims people he calls "afraid of COVID-19" must stay home and isolate themselves, so that he can go out and enjoy life without getting vaccinated if he chooses. In other words, everyone else must change their lives to accommodate his "libertarian" life.
This has been (one of) my bitches all along. These clowns tell me to stay home so that they can go run around like a dumbass and then pay their medical bills when they get sick.

Now they are threatening through their dumbassery to cause us all to bring back masks and close businesses again.

You haven't been paying attention. Cray knows skads of people who have gotten bad sick or even died from the jab. Way more than have gotten Covid.
The numbers of people that have gotten sick due to the jab can be counted on one hand and even those are speculation. Cray would fit in well in W laffy.

Reactions: Excellent Post
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT