ADVERTISEMENT

Us'n and Them'n

Tokyo Steve

Junior
Sep 5, 2001
Us'n and Them'n

All the political crap on this site is Bum’n me out. It really wears one down.

“Us’n” used to be Hoosier fans, and “Them’n” used to be fans of PU, --tucky!!!, et al.

In the current political culture, “Us’n” has been cut in half——50% know-it-alls (the new Us’n) and 50% know-nothin’s (the new Them’n). But no matter what Us’n and Them’n say/write about politics, the chance that any’n will be persuaded to switch sides is next to nil: almost all votes have been locked in for decades. Nothing that Us’n geniuses say will persuade any of Them’n ignoramuses, and vice versa.

Recognizing that my memory is not what it once was, I actually thought . . . temporarily . . . what a stupendous idea it would be to create a Microsoft Word file listing all the posters on this site who obviously identify themselves politically as an Us’n or a Them’n——something to refer to when reading their future posts . . . because, you know, all of that is soooo relevant to what they post about IU football. But, no, that pathetic thought only deepened my sadness and I quickly realized the folly of creating such a list. In fact, because I believe that the overwhelming majority on both political sides truly want what is best for everyone and for the country but differ on how best to achieve it, and because I realize how irrelevant the political divide is (or at least should be) to college sports, I’m hoping for a near-term truce on the IU boards that quickly makes people’s political leanings fade from my memory. It's not a matter of Them'n being evil and Us'n being righteous.

Wouldn't we all feel better if we kept this site a refuge from everyday controversies, steering the conversation back toward IU football? I have not been engaging in that conversation in recent months but I will try to contribute more going forward.

LEO

I like your thoughts and overall ideas presented. BUT, we unfortunately live in a world that has truly changed for the worse. Smart phones, the internet, and social media platforms have changed the landscape of our society.

I'm 45 years old, and growing up, I do not remember people attaching a political angle on everything under the sun...People were still political, but most people chose to express it differently. Times have changed...

I like your thoughts and overall ideas presented. BUT, we unfortunately live in a world that has truly changed for the worse. Smart phones, the internet, and social media platforms have changed the landscape of our society.

I'm 45 years old, and growing up, I do not remember people attaching a political angle on everything under the sun...People were still political, but most people chose to express it differently. Times have changed...

When I was younger I came to realize that television always changed every aspect of life that it touched.....some for the better, some for the worse. Well.....television was a piker compared to social media. I'm old and cranky enough that it doesn't affect me much personally, but it affects everything about the society.......and, as far as I can tell, not generally in a good way.......

Reactions: Chriselli
When I was younger I came to realize that television always changed every aspect of life that it touched.....some for the better, some for the worse. Well.....television was a piker compared to social media. I'm old and cranky enough that it doesn't affect me much personally, but it affects everything about the society.......and, as far as I can tell, not generally in a good way.......
Also, it's so easy and comfortable to live in bubbles and echo chambers. You can almost live in a different country than your neighbor.

Reactions: YOTHN
Us'n and Them'n

“Us’n” used to be Hoosier fans, and “Them’n” used to be fans of PU, --tucky!!!, et al.

In the current political culture, “Us’n” has been cut in half——50% know-it-alls (the new Us’n) and 50% know-nothin’s (the new Them’n). But no matter what Us’n and Them’n say/write about politics, the chance that any’n will be persuaded to switch sides is next to nil: almost all votes have been locked in for decades. Nothing that Us’n geniuses say will persuade any of Them’n ignoramuses, and vice versa.

Recognizing that my memory is not what it once was, I actually thought . . . temporarily . . . what a stupendous idea it would be to create a Microsoft Word file listing all the posters on this site who obviously identify themselves politically as an Us’n or a Them’n——something to refer to when reading their future posts . . . because, you know, all of that is soooo relevant to what they post about IU football. But, no, that pathetic thought only deepened my sadness and I quickly realized the folly of creating such a list. In fact, because I believe that the overwhelming majority on both political sides truly want what is best for everyone and for the country but differ on how best to achieve it, and because I realize how irrelevant the political divide is (or at least should be) to college sports, I’m hoping for a near-term truce on the IU boards that quickly makes people’s political leanings fade from my memory. It's not a matter of Them'n being evil and Us'n being righteous.

Wouldn't we all feel better if we kept this site a refuge from everyday controversies, steering the conversation back toward IU football? I have not been engaging in that conversation in recent months but I will try to contribute more going forward.

LEO

i glanced over the 1st two pages of the football board which goes back a full month of threads and didn't see one politically based thread, though i do remember one about Allen's and IU response to black issues in the news, so i guess that's one.

i have seen a thread and numerous posts regarding covid, but covid is "THE" number one sports story going, and "THE" number 1 story in football and basketball, with no other football or basketball story being in the same solar system importance wise.

i glanced over the 1st two pages of the football board which goes back a full month of threads and didn't see one politically based thread, though i do remember one about Allen's and IU response to black issues in the news, so i guess that's one.

i have seen a thread and numerous posts regarding covid, but covid is "THE" number one sports story going, and "THE" number 1 story in football and basketball, with no other football or basketball story being in the same solar system importance wise.
Many of the posts on those first two pages started out okay but devolved. Three of them got bad enough to get locked (the ones with the gold lock symbol). Even a thread on the premium board got locked.

Us'n and Them'n

LEO
I want more football news so we can focus on that. I tried to stay out of the other post about the virus but too much info was wrong and one sided. A couple of posters did look up info from different sites and things have calmed down now. I hope the football news starts coming out about the Hoosiers soon.

Us'n and Them'n

LEO

Like x a million. Take the political crap somewhere else.

That is a lovely thought. I doubt anyone complies.
Some of us will try harder. Some will not.The problem, I think, is that it has so permeated our very souls.
Have too many of us gone far right or far left?
Or is it the media portrayal of what we have become?
Is there no one slightly left or right?
No one willing to discuss without anger and violence?
If the above is political, rather than a forum comment, I apologize and will try harder.

Some of us will try harder. Some will not.The problem, I think, is that it has so permeated our very souls.
Have too many of us gone far right or far left?
Or is it the media portrayal of what we have become?
Is there no one slightly left or right?
No one willing to discuss without anger and violence?
If the above is political, rather than a forum comment, I apologize and will try harder.

Fantastic thread and being truly in the middle, I have been driven away a bit because of the back and forth.

Media on both sides is corporate driven and national news is used as a way to advertise corporate agendas. Its been that way for awhile but is more obvious than ever over the last 10+ years. Local news always has been and is the best option for honest unbiased reporting so whatever you do, keep supporting your local news. Just go look at major news stories that broke and you will find it was a local newspaper that investigated and broke it. Larry Nassar? Indystar. Epstein? Miami Herald. Weinstein? Local news. Sandusky? Patriot News. Real investigative reporting is done at the local level and national just runs with it but without the local news, who knows if these things are ever discovered in the future. Removing these echo chambers will truly unite us again because whether we want to believe it or not, the truth is always somewhere in-between.

As for this board and my fellow IU fans, regardless of differed opinions, we all want whats best for this country (and for Purdue to lose). We all deep down know this so I think we will all enjoy this board more if we engaged each other with that in mind. I respect everyone's opinion on this board simply for matching my love for the program. I cannot wait to stand up to cheer and high five all of my fellow IU brethren when Penix hits Philyor on a go route for a TD.

GO IU!

Just go look at major news stories that broke and you will find it was a local newspaper that investigated and broke it. Larry Nassar? Indystar. Epstein? Miami Herald. Weinstein? Local news. Sandusky? Patriot News.
Roman Catholic Church, Boston Globe (watch “Spotlight” in case you’ve forgotten). Investigative reporting is vital!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT