ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT roster for next friendly . . .

Crazy right. I remember the 94 team was ALL college guys.
Gutman has no qualities that might get him a look-see at the USMNT level? He's in MLS, I understand . . . do the first tier guys go pro young in soccer, like the LeBrons, Dwight Howards and Josh Smiths used to go directly to the NBA? Is that true of keepers too?

In other words, anybody who plays college soccer these days is by definition a "never was" . . . is that the deal?

If so, I kinda like the college model, and particularly how IU has implemented that model . . . .

Gutman has no qualities that might get him a look-see at the USMNT level? He's in MLS, I understand . . . do the first tier guys go pro young in soccer, like the LeBrons, Dwight Howards and Josh Smiths used to go directly to the NBA? Is that true of keepers too?

In other words, anybody who plays college soccer these days is by definition a "never was" . . . is that the deal?

If so, I kinda like the college model, and particularly how IU has implemented that model . . . .
that's a good question sope. just an opinion but i think the idea is that college has become an obstacle to development because the coaching isnt the best, the competition isn't the best, and they don't play enough. i haven't followed keepers much but yeah you're spot on about top tier guys following the nba model and going straight to the pros. claudio reyna's kid went to dortmund at like 17. we have guys now playing at barcelona, juventus, bayern munich. every top league in the world there are super young americans playing. it's nutty. i think the path now for super stud kids is to go straight to europe as soon as possible like reyna's kid or start in mls academies and then get picked up. they aren't worried about D1 like twenty or even five years ago. to cite your neck of the woods there won't be as many walker zimmerman types. grew up playing at gwinnett soccer academy then on to furman then mls and usmnt.

Reactions: Sope Creek
that's a good question sope. just an opinion but i think the idea is that college has become an obstacle to development because the coaching isnt the best, the competition isn't the best, and they don't play enough. i haven't followed keepers much but yeah you're spot on about top tier guys following the nba model and going straight to the pros. claudio reyna's kid went to dortmund at like 17. we have guys now playing at barcelona, juventus, bayern munich. every top league in the world there are super young americans playing. it's nutty. i think the path now for super stud kids is to go straight to europe as soon as possible like reyna's kid or start in mls academies and then get picked up. they aren't worried about D1 like twenty or even five years ago. to cite your neck of the woods there won't be as many walker zimmerman types. grew up playing at gwinnett soccer academy then on to furman then mls and usmnt.
Walker Zimmerman . . . with Nuno P. as the Development Director? He coached SopeJr#2 as an 11 year old years ago at a different program . . . if that's what it takes for the US to compete . . . well, I like the IU model.

Walker Zimmerman . . . with Nuno P. as the Development Director? He coached SopeJr#2 as an 11 year old years ago at a different program . . . if that's what it takes for the US to compete . . . well, I like the IU model.
Ha funny. Yep. He goes back to the old Atlanta silverbacks in the usisl that was owned by an Alston & bird guy. I didn’t know your son played. Lots of great soccer in Atlanta. I’m with you on the iu model too

Ha funny. Yep. He goes back to the old Atlanta silverbacks in the usisl that was owned by an Alston & bird guy. I didn’t know your son played. Lots of great soccer in Atlanta. I’m with you on the iu model too
John L. I've met the guy . . . when I did some work with Alston. He's very smooth, and can calm a BoD in even the most challenging circumstances. Didn't know he was behind the 'backs.

Nuno was player dev director of a youth program that merged with the Silverbacks when my sons played in that youth program . . . back in the 90s, early 00s. Both played "travel" soccer, and Nuno ended up coaching one of the travel teams. SopeJr#2 had a measure of talent, mostly from being able to use both his right and left feet capably (honed from karate), and the travel teams promptly beat that talent out of him. He ended up at 6'2" and 230 . . . played rugby (a lock - 5) in high school.

At his skinniest (185) he and Walker would have been bookend center backs. Kid had a knack for separating the ball from the offensive player by stepping in between the ball and the player, kind of like a block out in basketball.

John L. I've met the guy . . . when I did some work with Alston. He's very smooth, and can calm a BoD in even the most challenging circumstances. Didn't know he was behind the 'backs.

Nuno was player dev director of a youth program that merged with the Silverbacks when my sons played in that youth program . . . back in the 90s, early 00s. Both played "travel" soccer, and Nuno ended up coaching one of the travel teams. SopeJr#2 had a measure of talent, mostly from being able to use both his right and left feet capably (honed from karate), and the travel teams promptly beat that talent out of him. He ended up at 6'2" and 230 . . . played rugby (a lock - 5) in high school.

At his skinniest (185) he and Walker would have been bookend center backs. Kid had a knack for separating the ball from the offensive player by stepping in between the ball and the player, kind of like a block out in basketball.

Yep he was the owner when nuno coached. Nuno was coach of the year in that goofy league for the Charleston battery then moved to Atlanta.

6’2 230 knows karate and played rugby Hahahaha. That’s a formidable human you raised!!! That combo would indeed make for a hell of a defender. Yes travel soccer will definitely do that. It’s a shame. My daughter is already done with it. Burned her out in three years.

Reactions: Sope Creek
similar to baseball model.... it's just that stud baseball players can stay in the USA and work through the minors.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
wow! this is the best us national team i've ever seen by a mile. it doesn't even look like the us. given them a little maturity, a little chemistry, and a better coach and this is a legit world cup team.

wow! this is the best us national team i've ever seen by a mile. it doesn't even look like the us. given them a little maturity, a little chemistry, and a better coach and this is a legit world cup team.
nil/nil with Wales at the half? How good is Wales?

nil/nil with Wales at the half? How good is Wales?
not that great. no bale. but damn sope. our line up is ridiculous. two guys from barcelona. a guy from juventus. a cm that started in the champions league final four. reyna's kid who plays for dortmund. a stud mf for valencia. on and on. they're young but a far cry from the college kids and then mls kids we're used to.

Last edited:
not that great. no bale. but damn sope. our line up is ridiculous. two guys from barcelona. a guy from juventus. a cm that started in the champions league final four. reyna's kid who plays for dortmund. a stud mf for valencia. on and on. they're young but a far cry from the college kids and then mls kids we're used to.
IU had 3 players on the ‘98 squad and nobody since. Klinsman started this trend of going away from college and mls kids to young pro players from Europe who somehow have US citizenship. I’d love to see Team USA be able to hang with the elite countries, but I sure miss seeing those college kids out there.

IU had 3 players on the ‘98 squad and nobody since. Klinsman started this trend of going away from college and mls kids to young pro players from Europe who somehow have US citizenship. I’d love to see Team USA be able to hang with the elite countries, but I sure miss seeing those college kids out there.
I hear ya. I think those days are about over. Yesterday we started two 17 yr old kids. One plays for Barca (Haitian kid from Miami) and the other for Valencia. England is trying to seduce him to play for their national team. My buddy’s kid is being recruited hard by UCLA and Gtown. He has zero interest. Wants to stay in the academy at cincy. New world order

Reactions: snowling
I hear ya. I think those days are about over. Yesterday we started two 17 yr old kids. One plays for Barca (Haitian kid from Miami) and the other for Valencia. England is trying to seduce him to play for their national team. My buddy’s kid is being recruited hard by UCLA and Gtown. He has zero interest. Wants to stay in the academy at cincy. New world order
Both Dest and de la Fuente played for Barca in a recent match. Man have times changed. I think Dest scored.

The guys looked great the other night, albeit against a weak El Salvador squad. It was nice to see some players who came up through US colleges. Mueller went to Wisconsin, I’m pretty sure.

ADVERTISEMENT