ADVERTISEMENT

USC and UCLA to join B1G in 2024

A very long post to show you don’t understand how viewership works. It also proves you aren’t intelligent enough to be in this conversation.

Purdue’s viewership last year was up because you played ND, OSU, and Tennessee who are always top 10 in viewership. IU is consistently ahead of Purdue in viewership because we play OSU, Michigan, MSU, and Penn State every year.

You have zero chance of having more viewership than IU this year. Nada. It’s a good thing your cowardice prevented you from making the bet. You had no chance of winning.
And the crossover game is usually friggin Iowa or Wisconsin. Even Nebraska.

Reactions: B1G_Fan
So ND Nation used the data source that you cited and I used ND Nation. I think that means the 2021 data is the same. There doesn't seem to be a disagreement about that.

Now, the sleight of hand in attempting to use 6-year data is cute. It might actually be a useful measure if that period was a fairly representative one.

Since 2000, Purdue's record is 138-145 according to my calculation, or 7 games under -.500 with an overall winning percentage of 48.8%. That includes the funky Covid year of 2020 and a 2-4 record. Looking at the record down in 5-year data sets: 2000-04 37-25, 2005-09 30-32, 2010-14 21-41, 2015-19 22-40 . And a last 2020-21 of 11-8.

The Hazell tenure of 2013-16 had a record of 9-39. (Note: Hazell was fired during the season but he picked the team.) That translates to 30 games under 0.500 and a winning percentage of 18.8%

So that means ex-Hazell, Purdue under 3 other coaches was 129-106 over 21 seasons and 23 games over 0.500 and with a winning percentage of 54.9%.

Your calculation of 6 years has 1 year of Hazell whose winning percentage was 30% below the winning percentage of almost a quarter-century and 36.1% below that of the same period when he was not coaching. And if you take out 2020 for Covid the W/L improves. Are you really going to claim that is a representative sample set upon which to make a comparison? That Hazell's tenure had no negative effect on subsequent recruiting, etc? Yet you are using a clearly non-representative data set to make your point.
You again post irrelevant bs. Human kidneys? The entire point of this discussion was, I believe, the value of one school versus the other in terms of tv contract revenue. Only a complete moron, like you must be, can't fail to see that even w/l records are, to a degree meaningless. The only thing that matters is which school draws more eyes to the tv sets. Purdue doesn't. It's just that simple.

PU has no national following committed enough to watch their games, in virtually any sport. PU doesn't win NCAA championships consistently in anything either now nor in the past. There is no storied history of Purdue athletics in anything, hence no one is really interested in them even with marginally winning seasons. The school is unattractive, the coeds are unattractive, your football field by mid October really starts to look like crap and your basketball arena has friggin benches.

Yes, you have a big drum and a really creepy guy that walks around in a big boilermaker suit with a really big head, that's about it. You produce pretty good engineers, farmers and one guy that walked on the moon. Talk about that and spare us any more long dissertations on how PU is more valuable to the B1G than IU. If you were my banker or financial advisor I'd be moving my money.

Big10 Championship (All Sports)
Indiana - 180
Purdue - 73

National Titles (All Sport)
Indiana - 24
Purdue - 3

when you win at a high level, you draw more fans & viewers. This Arc guy is a either (A) an idiot or (B) a troll. He’s not the avg PU fan, please ignore his ignorance, don’t associate him with us. It’s not complicated to understand.
He is both and "idiot" and a "troll".

Honest ? Three Natty's. WBB, Mgolf and? Not remembering.

A very long post to show you don’t understand how viewership works. It also proves you aren’t intelligent enough to be in this conversation.

Purdue’s viewership last year was up because you played ND, OSU, and Tennessee who are always top 10 in viewership. IU is consistently ahead of Purdue in viewership because we play OSU, Michigan, MSU, and Penn State every year.

You have zero chance of having more viewership than IU this year. Nada. It’s a good thing your cowardice prevented you from making the bet. You had no chance of winning.
Well, we shall see who is correct. You asked me for my opinion and I gave it in good faith. Playing OSU, MSU, Michigan and Penn St would make you correct if the games are competitive. In most recent years they have not been. As I wrote, I don't enjoy a blowout regardless of who is winning.

• Haha
Reactions: brianiu
Posted by Champs76:

"You again post irrelevant bs. Human kidneys? The entire point of this discussion was, I believe, the value of one school versus the other in terms of tv contract revenue. Only a complete moron, like you must be, can't fail to see that even w/l records are, to a degree meaningless. The only thing that matters is which school draws more eyes to the tv sets. Purdue doesn't. It's just that simple."

The point that I stated was that basic Economics informs us that something that cannot be sold has no way to measure its value. Examples are many. I was attempting to explain that by using an alternative example. I do note that nobody has claimed that my point from economics is in error.

As for W/L records not affecting viewership, they clearly do. W/L is positively correlated with viewership. Do you suggest that they are not? What does "...to a degree..." mean if not that there is a positive correlation? Duke is a classic example; they are not a large school. They do not have a huge alumni association. They are in NC. but if you go to stores in NYC and Chicago you see a lot of people in Duke gear. Don't you think that their basketball success over the last generation has something to do with that? And why their games appear a lot on national television? Gonzaga is another example; medium-sized city in a rural environment in a not populous state and a small school. Georgetown is a small school but you used to see a lot of Hoya gear when they were a big deal. Gonzaga and Georgetown get primetime games because of their records and not because of the size of their alums or local fans.

I have been assured here that Purdue is irrelevant but IU is not. If so, according to data posted and cited by a poster from this site, and seemingly not challenged, is that Purdue outdrew IU by 1/3. So how do you explain that? Twitter data was cited to infer viewership, but the one thing that has been clearly demonstrated by Musk is that Twitter's data is very suspect.

• Haha
Reactions: jimmygoiu
Posted by Champs76:

"You again post irrelevant bs. Human kidneys? The entire point of this discussion was, I believe, the value of one school versus the other in terms of tv contract revenue. Only a complete moron, like you must be, can't fail to see that even w/l records are, to a degree meaningless. The only thing that matters is which school draws more eyes to the tv sets. Purdue doesn't. It's just that simple."

The point that I stated was that basic Economics informs us that something that cannot be sold has no way to measure its value. Examples are many. I was attempting to explain that by using an alternative example. I do note that nobody has claimed that my point from economics is in error.

As for W/L records not affecting viewership, they clearly do. W/L is positively correlated with viewership. Do you suggest that they are not? What does "...to a degree..." mean if not that there is a positive correlation? Duke is a classic example; they are not a large school. They do not have a huge alumni association. They are in NC. but if you go to stores in NYC and Chicago you see a lot of people in Duke gear. Don't you think that their basketball success over the last generation has something to do with that? And why their games appear a lot on national television? Gonzaga is another example; medium-sized city in a rural environment in a not populous state and a small school. Georgetown is a small school but you used to see a lot of Hoya gear when they were a big deal. Gonzaga and Georgetown get primetime games because of their records and not because of the size of their alums or local fans.

I have been assured here that Purdue is irrelevant but IU is not. If so, according to data posted and cited by a poster from this site, and seemingly not challenged, is that Purdue outdrew IU by 1/3. So how do you explain that? Twitter data was cited to infer viewership, but the one thing that has been clearly demonstrated by Musk is that Twitter's data is very suspect.
My god dude...give it up

Reactions: brianiu
If I were to hazard a guess, I think that there is a greater than 50% probability that Purdue will outdraw IU in viewership. My reasoning is:

1. They did so in the previous year if I recall the ND Nation correctly. Trends matter.
2. The B1G West seems to be very competitive and Wisconsin is not identified as the clearly dominant power. Thus, Minnesota, Iowa, Purdue and Wisconsin are being talked about as potential winners. More wide-open competitions tend to attract more interest than if there is one dominant player.
3. O'Connell is being talked about and getting some national publicity as the walk-on to starter story gets mentioned. QB is the most important position and people like the rags to riches story.

There are a lot of wild cards in the deck which creates a lot of uncertainty. Injuries can ruin a season. Remember when Sindelar (QB) and Rondale Moore (AA-WR) were injured on the same play and each missed multiple games? That is an extraordinarily rare play and really hurt a season's performance. Viewership is positively correlated with performance and a rash of injuries can harm performance in a big way.

Purdue gets to open the season in a nationally televised primetime game against Penn State on Fox AT HOME. I think that a great deal of the season's success hangs on that game. I think that PSU is in a downtrend but viewership lags W/L on the upside and the downside. PSU still has name recognition. If Purdue wins, that will get talked about a lot. That promotes viewership. I see a close game and favor the home team in a close game.

The early season, especially if they beat PSU, is favorable. Syracuse is on the road but not regarded highly. Babers is on the hot-seat. Then Purdue returns home for a second primetime game against FAU. If Purdue beats PSU, and does not drop an early-season road game in which they should be favored (as they have in the past, e.g. Nevada), they are then undefeated going into a second primetime game. That would stimulate viewership.

Next game is against a nemesis (Minnesota) on the road. Not primetime, but against another West contender. A game between contenders is normally viewed as competitive as opposed to likely one-sided. A general rule is that people find competitive competitions more interesting.

Purdue then gets MD and Nebraska at home. Times are not announced. With a good record up to that point, the time of game gets moved back. IF it is moved back, that helps viewership of any game.

Purdue then gets Wisconsin and Iowa in WL. Does the earlier record suggest these are competitive and primetime games? If so, then viewership would be large.

IU opens against Illinois in primetime on a Friday night. That is good, but Purdue has an advantage because Purdue's game is the day before. Thursday is a better tv night than Friday for viewership of almost any show plus PSU is more highly regarded than Illinois at this point.

IU gets Idaho the next week in primetime and at home. This game should be a blowout. But Idaho has no name recognition and is a potential blowout. It is also up against USC-Stanford and ASU-Ok St as well and Michigan in a likely blowout. I do not see that helping viewership.

WKy at home is next. WKy is a team that a B1G team should beat but they tend to be severely underrated. It is a team that one is reluctant to play because you are expected to beat them but often do not. This game often hurts you more than helps you.

Then on to Cincy on the road; Cincy has name and they lost a lot from last year. At home, IU has a real shot but this isn't at home. IU could be 3-0 going into this game and with the Cincy name this could get viewers. What matters going forward is can IU win this game. If so, they would get a lot of publicity which would help the cause. The next week is at home vs Nebraska and in the evening. I do not get the Nebraska pre-season hype, but an undefeated IU team in the evening should get numbers.

I do not see IU beating Michigan, even in Bloomington. Evidently the B1G doesn't either as it is an early game. Out of Maryland at home and Rutgers on the road, I see one win.

Then comes PSU (H), OSU (A), MSU (A) and Purdue (H). I see 1-3 or 0-4 here; max is 2-2. My reasoning is PSU has a depth advantage and it is the time in the season where injuries pile up. Purdue has an advantage getting. PSU early. OSU is just better and at home. I expect MSU to back off from last year but they are at home. As for Purdue, it is a rivalry game and IU is at home. The problem is IU will have played 3 previous physical teams and may be beaten up. A lot of the viewership issues will be if IU can win a game that they are not favored to do so early. That would suggest 2019 and 2020 were not flashes in the pan but the program turning around.

But as I said earlier, injuries can throw all of the analysis out for either team. There are a lot of wild cards in the deck here; professional poker players never use wild cards because the ability to make good estimates of probability get thrown away. But good records get good numbers. Competitive games are more interesting than blowouts, even if you are on the winning side.

I think that the key to IU's viewership numbers will be determined by the WKy and Cincinnati games. 2-0 makes them interesting going forward; 0-2 is a disaster and 1-1 is meh. Those games set the tone for the B1G season.
I quit reading at the B1G west is very competitive.

Well, we shall see who is correct. You asked me for my opinion and I gave it in good faith. Playing OSU, MSU, Michigan and Penn St would make you correct if the games are competitive. In most recent years they have not been. As I wrote, I don't enjoy a blowout regardless of who is winning.
In most recent years IU has had far more viewership per year than Purdue. It has nothing to do with either IU’s or Purdue’s fanbases. Your viewership was up last year because you played teams in the top 10 of viewership which isn’t normal for you. It wasn’t because more Purdue fans were watching the game than normal.

Take your L and head back to GBI.

Posted by Champs76:

I’ve already explained to you why Purdue had more viewership last year. Did you not understand? It had nothing to do with Purdue’s record. It had everything to do with playing ND, OSU, and Tennessee. You are supposed to be better this coming year, yet your viewership will be down significantly from last year. That should be proof enough to you that your W/L record is irrelevant.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
  • Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
I’ve already explained to you why Purdue had more viewership last year. Did you not understand? It had nothing to do with Purdue’s record. It had everything to do with playing ND, OSU, and Tennessee. You are supposed to be better this coming year, yet your viewership will be down significantly from last year. That should be proof enough to you that your W/L record is irrelevant.
Those games represented 25% of the schedule. But there was a premium of 33% in viewership. so mathematically, how does 25% turn into a 33% in larger numbers if the one that is lower has normally larger numbers? Do you not realize how difficult it is to make that math work?

Do you also realize that the Tennessee game was played at 2:00 PM on a Thursday that was Dec 30th, not a holiday? That is not exactly a time that would attract a large viewership.

Your rationale does not seem likely when you consider realistic math scenarios.

EDIT:

I just saw that bowl games are not included in the numbers published by your own source (Miller) so that eliminates the Tennessee game from your explanation. Your math gets even more difficult.

Last edited:
Those games represented 25% of the schedule. But there was a premium of 33% in viewership. so mathematically, how does 25% turn into a 33% in larger numbers if the one that is lower has normally larger numbers? Do you not realize how difficult it is to make that math work?

Do you also realize that the Tennessee game was played at 2:00 PM on a Thursday that was Dec 30th, not a holiday? That is not exactly a time that would attract a large viewership.

Your rationale does not seem likely when you consider realistic math scenarios.

EDIT:

I just saw that bowl games are not included in the numbers published by your own source (Miller) so that eliminates the Tennessee game from your explanation. Your math gets even more difficult.
How does a "numbers guy" not understand that outliers skew an average?

You are correct that Tennessee was not included as I just did the math on it. You were incorrect in thinking the Tennessee game would have had poor ratings due to it being at 2PM on a Thursday. It was your highest viewed game at 5.59 million viewers.

For the 2022 season, you had approximately 19,590,000 views total (weekly views listed below). Of those 19 million views, 11,720,000 (59.83%) came from the 3 games against OSU, Notre Dame, and Michigan State.

Your 2022 Nonconference opponents generated 3,149,000 views in 2022 (thank you Notre Dame). In 2023 you don't have a marquee non conference game. Total views of your non conference games will likely be under 1 million given the 5 year viewing average of the opponents.

In 2022, your crossover Big Ten games generated 9,624,000 viewers. MSU and OSU generated over 9 million in those two games alone. In 2023, you do get a big crossover game with PSU which will most likely get over 4 million viewers since it is in primetime week 1 with no competing games. I will even give you 5 million viewers for arguments sake. Your other two crossover opponents are IU and Maryland. Even if the PSU game gets over 5 million viewers, you still won't come close to the 9.64 million viewers you got from the crossover games last year. The remaining schedule (Big Ten West games) should be very similar viewership-wise to last year.

Given the data above, Purdue should be expected to take a big step back from a viewer perspective.

Purdue 2022 Viewership by Week:

Indiana - 484k
Northwestern - 718k
OSU - 4.74M
MSU - 4.4M
Nebraska - 1.3M
Wisconsin - 734k
Iowa - 3.43
Minnesota - 413k
Illinois - 367k
Notre Dame - 2.58M
Uconn - < 131k
Oregon State - 439k

Purdue 2023 Opponents 5 yr average viewership:

PSU - 2.55M
Indiana State - <50k
Syracuse - 694k
FAU - <50k
Minnesota - 803k
Maryland -681k
Nebraska - 1.51M
Wisconsin - 2.27M
Iowa - 1.57M
Illinois - 401K
Northwestern -867K
Indiana - 1.17M

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
How does a "numbers guy" not understand that outliers skew an average?

You are correct that Tennessee was not included as I just did the math on it. You were incorrect in thinking the Tennessee game would have had poor ratings due to it being at 2PM on a Thursday. It was your highest viewed game at 5.59 million viewers.

For the 2022 season, you had approximately 19,590,000 views total (weekly views listed below). Of those 19 million views, 11,720,000 (59.83%) came from the 3 games against OSU, Notre Dame, and Michigan State.

Your 2022 Nonconference opponents generated 3,149,000 views in 2022 (thank you Notre Dame). In 2023 you don't have a marquee non conference game. Total views of your non conference games will likely be under 1 million given the 5 year viewing average of the opponents.

In 2022, your crossover Big Ten games generated 9,624,000 viewers. MSU and OSU generated over 9 million in those two games alone. In 2023, you do get a big crossover game with PSU which will most likely get over 4 million viewers since it is in primetime week 1 with no competing games. I will even give you 5 million viewers for arguments sake. Your other two crossover opponents are IU and Maryland. Even if the PSU game gets over 5 million viewers, you still won't come close to the 9.64 million viewers you got from the crossover games last year. The remaining schedule (Big Ten West games) should be very similar viewership-wise to last year.

Given the data above, Purdue should be expected to take a big step back from a viewer perspective.

Purdue 2022 Viewership by Week:

Indiana - 484k
Northwestern - 718k
OSU - 4.74M
MSU - 4.4M
Nebraska - 1.3M
Wisconsin - 734k
Iowa - 3.43
Minnesota - 413k
Illinois - 367k
Notre Dame - 2.58M
Uconn - < 131k
Oregon State - 439k

Purdue 2023 Opponents 5 yr average viewership:

PSU - 2.55M
Indiana State - <50k
Syracuse - 694k
FAU - <50k
Minnesota - 803k
Maryland -681k
Nebraska - 1.51M
Wisconsin - 2.27M
Iowa - 1.57M
Illinois - 401K
Northwestern -867K
Indiana - 1.17M
I thought that we were talking 2022 football season.

Good grief. I’ve been following along and he’s consistently said this season. He’s showing you why.
My puzzlement is citing 2023 Opponents when we were writing about 2022.

Also, in estimating, what numbers do we use:

IU 484K vs 1.17M
Neb 1.3M vs 1.5M
Minn 413K vs 803K
Wisc 734K vs 2.27M
NW 718K vs 867K
MSU vs OSU is not a large percentage (<10%)
Iowa 3.4M? vs 1.57M
MD over UConn (large difference)

I just don't understand which numbers are supposed to be used.

IU 484K vs 1.17M
Neb 1.3M vs 1.5M
Minn 413K vs 803K
Wisc 734K vs 2.27M
NW 718K vs 867K
Iowa 3.4M? vs 1.57M

We were talking about the proposed bet of which team would have more viewers this season (aka the 2023 season) between IU and Purdue.

I threw you a bone and used the average 2015-2019 viewership when projecting the 2023 viewership for Purdue. The actual numbers will likely be much lower because as I’ve proven for you the big name outliers skew the data.

While IU has a 5 year weekly viewership average of 1.17, you shouldn’t be expecting 1.17 viewers for the IU vs Purdue game. Last year there were 484k viewers which is much more realistic for what it will be this year. Again, I was throwing you a bone to show that even with the inflated average numbers, Purdue’s viewership will still be way down, because you are losing two marquee games (1 in the non conference and 1 in the cross play games).

I really don’t know what’s so hard for you to understand here. You are either being purposely obtuse because you know I’ve proven to be correct, or you just lack intelligence. I’m leaning towards you being purposely obtuse.

IU 484K vs 1.17M
Neb 1.3M vs 1.5M
Minn 413K vs 803K
Wisc 734K vs 2.27M
NW 718K vs 867K
Iowa 3.4M? vs 1.57M

Good frigin grief. He’s said per 5 year average projecting what the numbers might be. Reading comprehension is your problem. Just give up and walk away or you guys can do an English duel.

Good frigin grief. He’s said per 5 year average projecting what the numbers might be. Reading comprehension is your problem. Just give up and walk away or you guys can do an English duel.
He can’t walk away as he has no arms or legs left after this debate at the bridge.

First of all, this is normally considered the 2022 season as the vast majority of games will be played in 2022.

My puzzlement is given 5-year data vs single-year data, should not the longer time be used as it would reduce outliers overly influencing the data set? Isn't that why is data analysis one uses the concept of Regression to the Mean when using a multi-year horizon and estimating forward?

Also, you are not factoring in time slots? In 2021, IU had 5 primetime slots, Purdue had 1. Gametimes are used by networks as a way to stimulate viewership. IU was coming off good seasons in 2019 and 2020 but the season of 2021 was not good - no B1G wins. IU was coming off a series of better seasons than Purdue.

So putting together a tv schedule for 2022, where do you slot a team with reduced expectations (based upon the previous year)? Would you assign a high profile slot or a lesser one? I think that most people would choose the more competitive team. By the way, in the tv contract with the NFL in recent years, the networks have flexibility in the later part of the season to slot more attractive games into better timeslots. That is also why there is a lot of TBA in the timing for the B1G schedules.

Given that the B!G West is being projected to be competitive among a number of teams (Purdue included), would it not make sense, and be expected to occur, that those games among competitors would get favorable slots? And teams with reduced expectations get less desirable slots? If I am assigning slots, that's what I do?

That also does not factor in the emergence of a popular individual player, e.g. Rondale Moore, who had a huge game in the evening broadcast against OSU and attracted a lot of media attention. Media attention is positively correlated with viewership. If O'Connell gets a lot of publicity, doesn't that matter?

First of all, this is normally considered the 2022 season as the vast majority of games will be played in 2022.

My puzzlement is given 5-year data vs single-year data, should not the longer time be used as it would reduce outliers overly influencing the data set? Isn't that why is data analysis one uses the concept of Regression to the Mean when using a multi-year horizon and estimating forward?

Also, you are not factoring in time slots? In 2021, IU had 5 primetime slots, Purdue had 1. Gametimes are used by networks as a way to stimulate viewership. IU was coming off good seasons in 2019 and 2020 but the season of 2021 was not good - no B1G wins. IU was coming off a series of better seasons than Purdue.

So putting together a tv schedule for 2022, where do you slot a team with reduced expectations (based upon the previous year)? Would you assign a high profile slot or a lesser one? I think that most people would choose the more competitive team. By the way, in the tv contract with the NFL in recent years, the networks have flexibility in the later part of the season to slot more attractive games into better timeslots. That is also why there is a lot of TBA in the timing for the B1G schedules.

Given that the B!G West is being projected to be competitive among a number of teams (Purdue included), would it not make sense, and be expected to occur, that those games among competitors would get favorable slots? And teams with reduced expectations get less desirable slots? If I am assigning slots, that's what I do?

That also does not factor in the emergence of a popular individual player, e.g. Rondale Moore, who had a huge game in the evening broadcast against OSU and attracted a lot of media attention. Media attention is positively correlated with viewership. If O'Connell gets a lot of publicity, doesn't that matter?
Lol Originally you argued that the 2021 data was indicative of what we will see going forward because “trends matter”. I argued 5 years worth of data was a better show of viewership. I even included the 2021 data in the 5 year data to give us the 6 most recent years of data to show IU produces more viewership. You shook that off and said 2021 is all that matters. Now you are reversing course?

Either you understand how viewership works, or you don’t. Clearly you don’t.

Purdue’s viewership will be significantly down from last year in the coming season. I’ve already showed you why.

🤣🤦🏻🥴

Word salad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT