ADVERTISEMENT

US sailors will die unless coronavirus-hit aircraft carrier evacuated, captain warns

Hmmm...if that's the standard, I think you might want to find a thread about horse medicine and a few others where there is a lot of "expertise" flowing.
That's true.... however there's a lot of "expertise" flowing on about every subject mentioned.:):)

Last edited:
It's really too bad that this was never followed up on.... might have been completely different results if it had been.

I have been re-listening to Guns of August. I heard a great line Rich man wrote about the commander of the French 5th Army having been right about the German right flank being the main German thrust. He ordered a disengagement from an attack against orders, and saved the entire French army. She said it is not known if he moved out of fear or wisdom. But she added, "Sometimes fear is wisdom". It struck me that astute observation may apply to this captain.

He could have been right, and still deserve to be fired. Those are polar opposites. I do not think the Navy had any choice. On the other hand, the acting chief keeping the story alive with an asinine comment to the crew is also plenty stupid worthy of dismissal.

I have been re-listening to Guns of August. I heard a great line Rich man wrote about the commander of the French 5th Army having been right about the German right flank being the main German thrust. He ordered a disengagement from an attack against orders, and saved the entire French army. She said it is not known if he moved out of fear or wisdom. But she added, "Sometimes fear is wisdom". It struck me that astute observation may apply to this captain.

He could have been right, and still deserve to be fired. Those are polar opposites. I do not think the Navy had any choice. On the other hand, the acting chief keeping the story alive with an asinine comment to the crew is also plenty stupid worthy of dismissal.
Not sure we’ll ever be privy to the investigation, but it seems like it simplifies down to his initial request for help being ignored more or less by a doofus for a boss and him finally realizing that he was dead if he didn’t get off the ship and same for his sailors so he got his ass off the ship by saving the sailors. In other words the same act of insubordination saved his ass and the sailors’ asses.

final message to his crew,

"Clowns to the left of me!
Jokers to the right!
Here I am stuck in the middle with you".

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

“The best executive is the one who has sense enough to pick good men to do what he wants done, and self-restraint to keep from meddling with them while they do it.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

and a few bonus quotes.

“A man who has never gone to school may steal a freight car; but if he has a university education, he may steal the whole railroad.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

“When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not Guilty'.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

“Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to befoul the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of today.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

ADVERTISEMENT