ADVERTISEMENT

US now has the highest number of reported cases of Coronavirus in the World

I don't know why we care at this point. We should be focused on doing the right thing to protect the people here, not whining about China's government.

We care because it can be weaponized. There are two fronts to this war...the medical and the political.

We care because it can be weaponized. There are two fronts to this war...the medical and the political.
What is happening in China now is a harbinger of what's to come for us. If they truly are not seeing any new cases -- and that can be believed -- then we can see a lessening of infection in our future. But if the Chinese are lying and they're still being infected at a high rate, then that doesn't bode well for us.

I'm not sure if it would be possible, but I'd sure like to see the politicians step aside and let the scientists deal with and inform each other transparently. Our relationship started with ping pong, fer cryin' out loud. Can't we set aside our political differences for a pandemic?

Exactly! Does it really matter if we're a close 2nd to a country with 3 times our population? And talk about government officials that lie to their citizens, see Trump's press conferences as exhibits 1, 2, and 3.

What is happening in China now is a harbinger of what's to come for us. If they truly are not seeing any new cases -- and that can be believed -- then we can see a lessening of infection in our future. But if the Chinese are lying and they're still being infected at a high rate, then that doesn't bode well for us.

I'm not sure if it would be possible, but I'd sure like to see the politicians step aside and let the scientists deal with and inform each other transparently. Our relationship started with ping pong, fer cryin' out loud. Can't we set aside our political differences for a pandemic?

Why would we not want to test more sick people?
Many communities don’t have tests available to test persons who should be tested. We have no idea how many people have Coronavirus. Without knowledge we can’t make good decisions.
It looks like Abbott will have a test hit the market next week that will deliver results in less than 15 minutes.

It looks like Abbott will have a test hit the market next week that will deliver results in less than 15 minutes.

That's an antibodies kit. Its cheap as hell. It will only measure what you have, after like 10 days of infection when your body starts to produce antibodies both IgM and IgG variety.

The more accurate test kit's the PCR based kits -- swab and then send it to the lab and the results are out within 90-120 minutes. You can have the bug in your system for a day and the PCR kits will pick it up -- assuming the swab is done correctly, stored properly and gotten to the lab within a reasonable time. But there lies the problem, those variables.

You can use both but for different scenarios and patients, leveraging on their strength.

Both though tests have been available for a couple of months now.

That's an antibodies kit. Its cheap as hell. It will only measure what you have, after like 10 days of infection when your body starts to produce antibodies both IgM and IgG variety.

The more accurate test kit's the PCR based kits -- swab and then send it to the lab and the results are out within 90-120 minutes. You can have the bug in your system for a day and the PCR kits will pick it up -- assuming the swab is done correctly, stored properly and gotten to the lab within a reasonable time. But there lies the problem, those variables.

You can use both but for different scenarios and patients, leveraging on their strength.

Both though tests have been available for a couple of months now.
I have not researched the test but I see no way that this isn't good news.
As with most viral tests I'm sure it's not foolproof.
I also think you are incorrect when you state both tests have been available in the states for 2 months.

I have not researched the test but I see no way that this isn't good news.
As with most viral tests I'm sure it's not foolproof.
I also think you are incorrect when you state both tests have been available in the states for 2 months.

I wasn't referring to its availability in the States. Globally.

Anyway, with its incubation of 14+ days, most people will need to be tested every month until a vaccine is available. Who is to say I won't get it 3 months down the road?

Consequently, regular testing becomes an issue of cost/affordability if the measure, and spread control is an objective.

I wasn't referring to its availability in the States. Globally.

Anyway, with its incubation of 14+ days, most people will need to be tested every month until a vaccine is available. Who is to say I won't get it 3 months down the road?

Then regular testing becomes an issue of cost/affordability.
How many times have you been tested?
What type of test did they use?

How many times have you been tested?
What type of test did they use?

Not been tested yet. Am not a high-risk profile since I am not part of the stereotypical demographic nor having pre-existing conditions nor the lifestyle.

Moreover, I have not been able to leave the country for 6 weeks now. If I did, I would have to be tested upon return, then self quarantined for 14 days, then tested again before release.

Its test/treatment's free over here including the isolate 'lifestyle' requirement in the hospital.

20200304_cts_1528.jpg

Robot to deliver meals, medication to Covid-19 patients at Alexandra Hospital to reduce exposure of healthcare workers

Why Germany's Coronavirus Death Rate Is Far Lower Than In Other Countrieshttps://www.npr.org/2020/03/25/8205...lower-than-in-other-countries?t=1585392400745

As confirmed cases of the coronavirus in Germany soared past 10,000 last week, hundreds of Berliners crowded Volkspark am Friedrichshain to play soccer and basketball, and to let their kids loose on the park's many jungle gyms.

The conditions seemed ideal for the spread of a virus that has killed thousands. Indeed, as of Wednesday, Germany had the fifth-highest number of cases.

Yet Germany's fatality rate so far — just 0.5% — is the world's lowest, by a long shot.

"I believe that we are just testing much more than in other countries, and we are detecting our outbreak early," said Christian Drosten, director of the institute of virology at Berlin's Charité hospital.

As Europe has become the epicenter of the global coronavirus pandemic, Italy's fatality rate hovers around 10%. France's is around 5%. Yet Germany's fatality rate from COVID-19 has remained remarkably low since cases started showing up there more than a month ago. As of March 25, there were 175 deaths and 34,055 cases.

Drosten, whose team of researchers developed the first COVID-19 test used in the public domain, said Germany's low fatality rate is because of his country's ability to test early and often. He estimates Germany has been testing around 120,000 people a week for COVID-19 during the monthlong period from late February to now, when it's reached epidemic proportions in the country, the most extensive testing regimen in the world.

And that means Germany is more likely to have a lower number of undetected cases than other countries where testing is less prevalent, which raises the question: Why is Germany testing so much?

"We have a culture here in Germany that is actually not supporting a centralized diagnostic system," said Drosten, "so Germany does not have a public health laboratory that would restrict other labs from doing the tests. So we had an open market from the beginning."

In other words, Germany's equivalent to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention — the Robert Koch Institute — makes recommendations but does not call the shots on testing for the entire country. Germany's 16 federal states make their own decisions on coronavirus testing because each of them is responsible for their own health care systems.

When Drosten's university medical center developed what became the test recommended by the World Health Organization, they rolled these tests out to their colleagues throughout Germany in January.

"And they of course rolled this out to labs they know in the periphery and to hospital labs in the area where they are situated," Drosten said. "This created a situation where, let's say, by the beginning or middle of February, testing was already in place, broadly."

Drosten said that has meant quicker, earlier and more widespread testing for COVID-19 in Germany than in other countries.

Lothar Wieler, head of the Robert Koch Institute, Germany's federal agency responsible for disease control and prevention, said at a news conference last week that Germany's testing infrastructure means authorities have a more accurate read of confirmed cases of the virus.

"We don't know exactly how many unknown cases there are, but we estimate that this unknown number is not very high," Wieler said. "The reason is simple. We issued recommendations in mid-January about who should be tested and who shouldn't be tested."

But some Berlin residents aren't as confident as Wieler. Nizana Nizzi Brautmann said she was worried when a teacher at her son's school tested positive for COVID-19 and a day later she and her son woke up with fevers and persistent coughing. She said she couldn't get through to Berlin's coronavirus hotline, which was continuously busy.

She finally got through to the city's emergency medical service number, "and I told her I think we need to be checked because we have some symptoms," Brautmann recalled. "The lady was just saying, 'We make no tests here. I can't help you. I would advise you to stay home and drink tea.' "

When she finally was able to speak to a doctor on the phone, the doctor told her to wait in line outside a local hospital to get tested, but she didn't have a mask for her or her son, and she didn't want to infect others in line, so she stayed home. She and her son are now in good health, but she said the episode left her wondering how prepared German society is for this pandemic.

Drosten said such experiences are probably an exception, not the rule.

"I know the diagnostics community in Germany a bit," Drosten said. "My feeling is that actually the supply of tests is still good. And of course, our epidemic is now also very much up-ramping and we will lose track here, too."

Drosten said the growing number of cases in Germany will soon exceed testing capacities. But for the time being, he thinks the country has had a robust response to the coronavirus pandemic. He's most worried about countries in Africa that aren't well set up for this — countries that, once the crisis comes to them, will find it more difficult to flatten the curve.

Yah man. I am not even sure they are real. Paid Asian looking actors running around the country. I swear they looked more Muslim the last time I saw it on TV.

Nice backtrack, you are the one who was blasting the U.S. response by holding up China as an example of how great it is when things go into full lockdown. Now that has been shown that is a crock of shit, now you want to focus on the U.S. response.

Nice backtrack, you are the one who was blasting the U.S. response by holding up China as an example of how great it is when things go into full lockdown. Now that has been shown that is a crock of shit, now you want to focus on the U.S. response.

You serious must think we all look and sound alike? Is there another Asian/Chinese here?

I have always used Taiwan, HK and Singapore as the gold standards for this pandemic. Never China. You do realise that they are all different countries right -- and not part of China? Maybe this is your problem.

I have always said -- the longer the delay in containment measures, the more draconian the solutions.

I live in Singapore -- next week is our 4th month in this malarkey. We had only 700+ in nearly 4 months -- all without lockdown, school closures or much restrictions to speak off --- until two days ago. Cinemas are closed for a month and restaurants have curfews, there is safe distancing at eating outlets. Incrementalism.

yq-royalp15032020.jpg

So if you think I was said that China's lockdowns are the solutions, you are either have poor comprehension or you better find that quote.

And by the way, has it been shown that China's draconian strategy is a failure? Their numbers seem to be pretty flat.

Have you been to Kentucky? The backwater way they do things does not lead me to think these numbers are correct. My relative who lives near Kentucky lake (very secluded as most of Ky is) is convinced that he, his wife and 12 year old son had the virus 2-3 weeks ago but never were tested and are now fine. All his symptoms match up and he said even his pharmacist (maybe he is an expert, DWS) said it sounds as so.

Point is there are 3 potential cases not reported and I would bet there are many more in Kentucky that fall way under the radar especially if they do not happen in Louisville, Lexington, Covington or Bowling Green.

Brascher has done a great job of promoting himself (kudos to him and his marketing team) through all of this, lets hope when this all clears he can come through with his bold promise to restore the teachers pension and get all teachers in Kentucky a raise? Should be interesting.
Oh well, if there are 3 uncounted cases, you must be right - that must be why neighboring states have much higher numbers.

God forbid Brashear and the Kentucky response team actually did and are doing a good job. There must be something wrong because he’s a democrat.

This forum was much better off until your dumb ass started frequenting it.

Okay, so you can't pick the former or the current governor out of a line up, you don't watch local news so you don't even know for sure whether the current governor addresses his constituents every night at 5 pm, you have zero "angle with the state of Kentucky" because "it sucks no matter what"...BUT...you're dead certain that Beshear (you don't even know his name) is in on a "great marketing scheme" because the Republican mayor at the closest city to which you live does the same thing (?) and loves the attention, so Beshear must be exactly the same. Got it!

Also, you really don't care about fellow Americans across the border, but you have friends who are in Louisville so you're pulling for them to live. You're a REAL patriot too! Great guy. I bet you're a true pro-life Christian to boot.

Do you understand how stupid you sound? :rolleyes:

You're way to defensive of your political side. I honestly have zero angle with the state of Kentucky it sucks no matter who is in charge.

I couldn't tell you what either Bevin or Brasher look like in a line-up. I have read that Brasher's is coming front and center every night at 5pm (couldn't validate this one way or another as I don't watch our local TV stations) which is a great marketing scheme. The Republican mayor at the closest city I live to, does the same thing and it is well know he does it to be front and center and loves the attention. Brasher is no different, many Governors and individuals with political influence have made great decisions during this and do not get on TV nightly.

I hope Brasher does a great job, I live close enough to Louisville and have friends who's kids teach in Jefferson County so I'm on their side. Like I said I hope Brasher can deliver on his promise, for the teachers sake and his come time for re-election.

You serious must think we all look and sound alike? Is there another Asian/Chinese here?

I have always used Taiwan, HK and Singapore as the gold standards for this pandemic. Never China. You do realise that they are all different countries right -- and not part of China? Maybe this is your problem.

I have always said -- the longer the delay in containment measures, the more draconian the solutions.

I live in Singapore -- next week is our 4th month in this malarkey. We had only 700+ in nearly 4 months -- all without lockdown, school closures or much restrictions to speak off --- until two days ago. Cinemas are closed for a month and restaurants have curfews, there is safe distancing at eating outlets. Incrementalism.

yq-royalp15032020.jpg

So if you think I was said that China's lockdowns are the solutions, you are either have poor comprehension or you better find that quote.

And by the way, has it been shown that China's draconian strategy is a failure? Their numbers seem to be pretty flat.

One "advantage" China has is that lock down takes on a whole different meaning there. Meanwhile we had idiots here partying on spring break. Again, not a big fan of Authoritarian states, but they do have a built in advantage to handle a pandemic.

And our idiotic population rolls around on the floor of Walmart fighting over toilet paper, stands in line to buy guns, and the Right Wing noise machine calls for old people to take one for the S&P 500 and die already.

Lord help us. :eek:

One "advantage" China has is that lock down takes on a whole different meaning there. Meanwhile we had idiots here partying on spring break. Again, not a big fan of Authoritarian states, but they do have a built in advantage to handle a pandemic.

Reactions: iuwclurker

China fecked up and went Draconian with their containment strategy. That's why they had to do what they did.

My big gripe with lockdowns is it's sustainability. Two months max if that? Then what? When people can't stand being cooped up in their homes and start to break the lockdowns, then what's next?

It should be last resort or the final solution.

There should have been a communication/education campaign to build knowledge and reduce panic -- and build personal responsibilities for the long term. This isn't one peak and then it goes away.

Reactions: thezinfan1

It probably is reasonable not to take what the Chinese say at face value. The same could be said about our president.

Speaking of idiots on the beach....

Beach parties next year will be tempered by the mere thought of Covid-20.

There should have been a communication/education campaign to build knowledge and reduce panic -- and build personal responsibilities for the long term. This isn't one peak and then it goes away.

There is one. The “Slow the Spread” visual aid is brought up several times at each presser. We each received one in the mail. Even Trump said handshakes may be history.

Boris Johnson has tested positive.

Was admitted into hospital a few hours ago for ''tests' but the Russian media thinks otherwise.

Johnson's hospital admission suggests virus may have progressed
It is unlikely the prime minister will have been admitted unless doctors have real concerns

Most people recover from Covid-19 within a week and cannot even be certain they had it, as they probably won’t be tested. The advice is to stay home, rest and take paracetamol. In 80% of cases, that is the end of it.

But NHS advice is that if the symptoms – mainly the dry cough, temperature and fatigue – have not gone by the end of a week, or they get worse, people should seek medical help.

Unlike Matt Hancock, the health secretary, who revealed he had Covid-19 on the same day as the prime minister, Boris Johnson has not recovered within the first week. He is said to have been admitted to hospital for tests, which may include scans of his lungs to check for pneumonia, as well as blood tests. He had a diagnostic test for Covid-19, so doctors will be looking for progression of the disease and to establish that he has not entered the second phase, where the immune system goes into overdrive.

Given the increasing pressure on hospitals at the moment, it is unlikely he will have been admitted unless doctors have real concerns. Minor tests could be carried out in Downing Street.

Early guidelines from the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (Nice) suggest the following symptoms may help a doctor to decide whether a patient with Covid-19 should go to hospital:

Severe shortness of breath at rest or difficulty breathing.
Coughing up blood.
Blue lips or face.
Feeling cold and clammy with pale or mottled skin.
Collapse or fainting (syncope).
New confusion.
Becoming difficult to rouse.
Little or no urine output.

In the first week, people who are fit and healthy, with a robust immune system, will usually fight off the virus. But the problems come for some people in the second week, when their immune system overreacts to the virus and ends up attacking the body’s own organs. That is why the most seriously ill can end up on life support machines with organ failure.

Chinese data showed that 20% of patients went to hospital. Some 15% had severe disease, which involved breathing difficulties and hypoxia, where some of the tissues of the body are not getting an adequate oxygen supply. That can manifest in anxiety, confusion and restlessness.

Only 5% ended up in critical care, with such severe illness that they needed organ support. Ventilators can take over the patient’s breathing, to allow the lungs time to recover. But patients could also need support for their heart, liver and kidneys – although many of those needing that sort of mechanical help have underlying conditions which make them particularly vulnerable.

Reactions: iuwclurker
ADVERTISEMENT