ADVERTISEMENT

US Attorney for SDNY abruptly out of a job

This could get good. Berman just called Barr's bluff:

source.gif

Weird. I thought Berman was a trump lackey.

Preet poses an interesting (rhetorical) question... The answer, of course, is ongoing investigations into the Rudy G- Lev Parnas - Igor Fruman connection, as well as inquiries into possible irregularities in Trump's own finances...Trump and Barr want the investigations halted, so Barr is attempting to replace Berman with a real "team player"- Jay Clayton of the SEC...

Now, this may be off the deep end, but the timing seems really curious. As in at the end of a week when SCOTUS has handed Trump numerous setbacks, and the next major decision could involve the SDNY subpoena of Trump's financial records...

So anybody else see this as a possible pre-emptive strike against SDNY, with Trump fearing another blow from the SCOTUS within the next couple of weeks? Is it possible that Trump is envisioning leaving office in Jan 2021 (or even sooner?) and trying to get his ducks in a row regarding the possible charges he faces in NY? There has to be a reason for this move at THIS particular time...?

I'm actually starting to wonder if a possible upcoming negative decision against him from SCOTUS, along with the fallout from Bolton's book and other recent events has Trump contemplating pulling a Nixon and resigning. I personally think a Nov loss is by this point a foregone conclusion, and I'm wondering if he may be exploring a less embarrassing alternative to try and save face. And of course, make himself out to be the "victim" in the process. That's something he's really accomplished at...

Brazen corruption.

If Trumps loses in November, I hope someone looks at Barr.
It's incredible the executive has this much influence over the Justice Department.

So is appointment by the District judges what he's hanging his hat on? That unless a replacement is Senate confirmed, he serves at the pleasure of those judges rather than the DoJ? While I love the gumption, I can't see how that's gonna work out.

"I learned in a news release from the Attorney General tonight that I was 'stepping down' as United States Attorney. I have not resigned, and have no intention of resigning, my position, to which I was appointed by the Judges of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York," Berman said.

"I will step down when a presidentially appointed nominee is confirmed by the Senate. Until then, our investigations will move forward without delay or interruption. I cherish every day that I work with the men and women of this Office to pursue justice without fear or favor - and intend to ensure that this Office's important cases continue unimpeded."​

Something's not right with this. Hopefully enough people speak out to prevent Barr from doing whatever he is trying to do.
Speak out? Prevent?

LOL. There is nothing these outlaws won't do. And the Senate will do nothing about it. And the courts will look for any excuse to stay out of the fray, or at least delay having to sack up and make a ruling.

We're fvcked.

But Hillary was such a bitch...

Reactions: Neves
If Trumps loses in November, I hope someone looks at Barr.
It's incredible the executive has this much influence over the Justice Department.
This is where I again bring up my Truth & Reconciliation Commission idea.

I thought Berman was a temp. What rights could a temp have to be able to keep his job when his boss tells him to go away? Oh.........never mind.

This is where I again bring up my Truth & Reconciliation Commission idea.

T&R Commission makes sense when it was like a generation or two worth of crimes that were protected under a then legal guise -- apartheid.

This is just a four-year cycle. And they are breaking the current laws. You need to jail them before it happens on such a wide scale again.

So is appointment by the District judges what he's hanging his hat on? That unless a replacement is Senate confirmed, he serves at the pleasure of those judges rather than the DoJ? While I love the gumption, I can't see how that's gonna work out.

"I learned in a news release from the Attorney General tonight that I was 'stepping down' as United States Attorney. I have not resigned, and have no intention of resigning, my position, to which I was appointed by the Judges of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York," Berman said.

"I will step down when a presidentially appointed nominee is confirmed by the Senate. Until then, our investigations will move forward without delay or interruption. I cherish every day that I work with the men and women of this Office to pursue justice without fear or favor - and intend to ensure that this Office's important cases continue unimpeded."​
Harry Litman's thread is worth a read:

Reactions: UncleMark

It's really a mess. I know good people at very high levels of the Defense and State Department that have resigned or are resigning and/or been or being fired and others that are trying very hard to do their jobs the right way despite the President. This is one of the many reasons I still can't stand Trump.

Last edited:
It's really a mess. I know good people at very high levels of the Defense and State Department that have resigned or are resigning and/or been or being fired and others that are trying very hard to do their jobs the right way despite the President. This is one of the many reasons I still can't stand Trump.
Defense and State can slow walk and stymie Trump's worst impulses, but Barr is all in. Justice is Trump's personal and political WMD.

Reactions: Bill4411
Per MSNBC, Barr asked Trump to fire Berman effective immediately, and the President has done so.

Just now Trump said he didn’t fire Berman. Did Barr lie twice about this with the last 24 hours? Barr needs to be impeached and then investigated for criminal acts. He’s destroying our country.

Doesn't Berman's action make the legal question become "How can you fire me when you didn't even hire me in the first place?"

Even as AG, Barr does not always have more authority that a US District Judge (or a panel).

Just now Trump said he didn’t fire Berman. Did Barr lie twice about this with the last 24 hours? Barr needs to be impeached and then investigated for criminal acts. He’s destroying our country.
Who am I to believe, Barr or Trump?

Reactions: Digressions
Per MSNBC, Barr asked Trump to fire Berman effective immediately, and the President has done so.
Per the links provided by Rock and cosmic upthread, it sounds like Berman could challenge being fired by Barr but not if Trump himself did it. That said, surely it would mean Trump would actually have to do it directly and publicly. It's not like Barr could just claim Trump did.

Per think links provided by Rock and cosmic upthread, it sounds like Berman could challenge being fired by Barr but not if Trump himself did it. That said, surely it would mean Trump would actually have to do it directly and publicly. It's not like Barr could just claim Trump did.

Here is where I repeat that Bill Barr will go down in history as one of the most despicable villains our country has ever seen.

Per the links provided by Rock and cosmic upthread, it sounds like Berman could challenge being fired by Barr but not if Trump himself did it. That said, surely it would mean Trump would actually have to do it directly and publicly. It's not like Barr could just claim Trump did.
Berman can challenge the firing even if Trump fires him, because the statute says Berman serves until the Senate confirms a replacement. Litman thinks the statute may be unconstitutional, but that’s a big thing to resolve quickly, so Litman thinks SDNY investigations will likely continue under Berman for months while the issue is litigated.

I don’t know what Berman will do. He’s reportedly a Republican who donated to Trump. But the big questions are what Trump and Barr are covering up and why they keep lying about what’s happening.

Last edited:
Berman can challenge the firing even if Trump fires him, because the statute says Berman serves until the Senate confirms a replacement. Litman thinks the statute may be unconstitutional, but that’s a big thing to resolve quickly, so Litman thinks SDNY investigations will likely continue under Berman for months while the issue is litigated.

I don’t know what Berman will do. He’s reportedly a Republican who donated to Trump. But the big questions are what Trump and Burr are covering up and why they keep lying about what’s happening.

Im encouraged by Berman’s fight. I for one want to get back to having Republicans who are also good Americans.

Of course. My gut feeling was that any court asked to weigh in would defer to the OLC opinion that the President could do it, but that the AG might not have legal grounds. I'm guessing that's what Barr thought too. Otherwise, bringing the President into the dispute wouldn't change anything. As Litman said, it will all depend on which court gets the case and how they view the obvious corrupt intent. Roberts' recent emphasis on procedure in these type of matters when there's black letter law involved can't hurt.
I don’t know what Berman will do. He’s reportedly a Republican who donated to Trump. But the big questions are what Trump and Burr are covering up and why they keep lying about what’s happening.
Of course (again), that's the real question. The cesspool that Trump, Rudy, et al are swimming in is what keeps the SDNY in business.

Reactions: Rockfish1
Of course. My gut feeling was that any court asked to weigh in would defer to the OLC opinion that the President could do it, but that the AG might not have legal grounds. I'm guessing that's what Barr thought too. Otherwise, bringing the President into the dispute wouldn't change anything. As Litman said, it will all depend on which court gets the case and how they view the obvious corrupt intent. Roberts' recent emphasis on procedure in these type of matters when there's black letter law involved can't hurt.

Of course (again), that's the real question. The cesspool that Trump, Rudy, et al are swimming in is what keeps the SDNY in business.
As to the lying, Barr first claimed that Berman had resigned, and got contradicted by Berman. Then Barr said Trump fired him, and got contradicted by Trump.

These guys are too incompetent even to implement a political purge.

Reactions: Ohio Guy and T.M.P.
Bergman has now accepted that he has been fired according to CNN.

Who fired him?
Trump . After denying he had anything to do with it evidently now Barr says Trump now ordered it. But believe that now Bergman trusts the new person who has taken over.

Last edited:
Trump . After denying he had anything to do with it evidently now Barr says Trump now ordered it. But believe that now Bergman trusts the new person who has taken over.
Turn off your spellchecker.
Bergman:
hqdefault.jpg

Berger:

1200px-Cheeseburger.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT