ADVERTISEMENT

Upon Further Review

MMcCormick

Sophomore
Dec 7, 2004
I speed watched every offensive play out of curiosity of the train wreck. Here's a quick summary of the horrid highligts

1. Caleb Jones was terrible. Easily the worst lineman. Killed six plays and three drives all by himself.
2. Katic missed three "hand offs" on simple stuffs that lead to pressures. He and Caleb looked like they never played together. The left side of the line was a train wreck. I credit this lack of coordination among the lineman on stunts to offensive line coaching. He was the second worst lineman.
3. The other three lineman played ok. Each got beat one or twice which did not help, but they were not terrible. Weaver played well for a first start.
4. Penix could have run for a 1st down to continue a drive but did not want to get hit. He is going to cost them 15 or 20 yards a game and a first down or two because he is avoiding taking hits. It's an issue.
5. The wide receiver and tight end blocking is atrocious. I would say the receiver blocking is actually a bigger issue than the offensive line. If you want to know the difference between Sheridan's offense and Deboer's I'd start with receiver blocking. We used to run all these great wide receiver screens. They don't work anymore because the receivers don't block anymore.
6. The Buckley transfer is a train wreck blocking. He has no interest.
7. The interceptions were well documented but Buckley's wrong pattern was another killer. Not sure why that guy was on the field. He killed them.
8. Iowa's dbacks dominated our receivers. We really struggled to get open.
9. Fryfogle dropped a tough but catchable critical third down.
10. We did not throw one deep ball all game. Mind boggling.

When our whole team does not block well to me that's on the offensive coordinator. They don't have the same leadership of toughness that the defense has. The linemen are taking the heat, but it's every position on offense. I don't think a single position would grade out well in a blocking analysis of that game. Hard to win if you don't block.

I speed watched every offensive play out of curiosity of the train wreck. Here's a quick summary of the horrid highligts

1. Caleb Jones was terrible. Easily the worst lineman. Killed six plays and three drives all by himself.
2. Katic missed three "hand offs" on simple stuffs that lead to pressures. He and Caleb looked like they never played together. The left side of the line was a train wreck. I credit this lack of coordination among the lineman on stunts to offensive line coaching. He was the second worst lineman.
3. The other three lineman played ok. Each got beat one or twice which did not help, but they were not terrible. Weaver played well for a first start.
4. Penix could have run for a 1st down to continue a drive but did not want to get hit. He is going to cost them 15 or 20 yards a game and a first down or two because he is avoiding taking hits. It's an issue.
5. The wide receiver and tight end blocking is atrocious. I would say the receiver blocking is actually a bigger issue than the offensive line. If you want to know the difference between Sheridan's offense and Deboer's I'd start with receiver blocking. We used to run all these great wide receiver screens. They don't work anymore because the receivers don't block anymore.
7. The interceptions were well documented but Buckley's wrong pattern was another killer. Not sure why that guy was on the field. He killed them.

When our whole team does not block well to me that's on the offensive coordinator. They don't have the same leadership of toughness that the defense has. The linemen are taking the heat, but it's every position on offense. I don't think a single position would grade out well in a blocking analysis of that game. Hard to win if you don't block.
Question on your comment about WR blocking: It's not legal for them to block before the ball is thrown, is it?

I kept screaming at the TV for us to throw downfield. Never happened.

It's hard to believe our WR blocking is that bad when they've had the same position coach the last however many years. Surely the OC doesn't coach WR blocking?

I can see that being an issue with the new guys, but we have veteran receivers in there.

I have no info on the matter, but I just wonder if Sheridan has put in too many new concepts and plays, instead of emphasizing what's worked in the past.

It's inconceivable to me that we can get guys open against teams like O$U last year, yet are completely smothered by Iowa.

I said it only half in jest - I think they had our playbook.

Question on your comment about WR blocking: It's not legal for them to block before the ball is thrown, is it?

I kept screaming at the TV for us to throw downfield. Never happened.

It's hard to believe our WR blocking is that bad when they've had the same position coach the last however many years. Surely the OC doesn't coach WR blocking?

I can see that being an issue with the new guys, but we have veteran receivers in there.

I have no info on the matter, but I just wonder if Sheridan has put in too many new concepts and plays, instead of emphasizing what's worked in the past.

It's inconceivable to me that we can get guys open against teams like O$U last year, yet are completely smothered by Iowa.

I said it only half in jest - I think they had our playbook.
The OC certainly does not coach blocking, but he coaches the position coaches on what to emphasize. If one group doesn't block, to me that's a position coach issue. If the whole offense does not block well, there is a lack of focus on the fundamentals and that's on the OC and the head coach. You certainly don't feel the head coaches footprints on the offense in terms of the level of effort the way you do the defense. I get the feeling the offense is largely delegated to Sheridan and the assistants.

One thing I noticed from my first watch and subsequent scanning through my DVR, there were multiple pass plays where Penix had forever to throw back there with Iowa sending their base 4 or even sending a blitzer. I mean like 4-5 seconds. Sure he ended up with pressure, but after that long of time you're going to have pressure.

Reactions: td75 and DANC
One thing I noticed from my first watch and subsequent scanning through my DVR, there were multiple pass plays where Penix had forever to throw back there with Iowa sending their base 4 or even sending a blitzer. I mean like 4-5 seconds. Sure he ended up with pressure, but after that long of time you're going to have pressure.
The pass blocking was weak but not terrible. It was no worse than it was in just about every game last year. There were times that Penix had time. Iowa's secondary dominated our receivers. They were really good.

Reactions: TMFT
The pass blocking was weak but not terrible. It was no worse than it was in just about every game last year. There were times that Penix had time. Iowa's secondary dominated our receivers. They were really good.
They were good, but Penix didn't see some wide open receivers.

He just looked skittish and that's not like him. He usually sees those open receivers and fires the ball before the DBs can react.

I wonder if he is being overcoached and thinking too much. The announcers kept saying how calm he is in the pocket, but I sure didn't see that in the game.

I don't know if he's still worried about getting hurt or not, but something is definitely off with him.

Reactions: hoosier roadtrips
Our WRs are overrated. We have a plethora of them but no elite guys. Fryfogel says he’s the best receiver in the conference but I don’t think he’s the complete package. We’ll see. The two transfers looked every bit of awful.

Our WRs are overrated. We have a plethora of them but no elite guys. Fryfogel says he’s the best receiver in the conference but I don’t think he’s the complete package. We’ll see. The two transfers looked every bit of awful.
I'm not sure how you say Fryfogle isn't an elite WR. Penix has to get the ball to him. Last year, he threw to Fry when he was covered and Fry came up with the reception more times than not.

This year, he rarely threw to him at all, and none downfield.

To be fair to Fryfogle, he averaged 16.8 a catch on five catches, which is solid, and was the only receiver to do anything with the ball and make any kind of positive impact when he got it out of all the receivers and TEs. And if it wasn't for the turf monster, he would have broken a catch that should not have been a TD for a TD that was still early enough in the game that it could have stemmed the tide and shifted the momentum of the game. He played well.

Weren't Fry and Marshall both talking about being each attempting to be the best WR in the country? Sounds like cheap talk now.

Fryfogle is good, but he is about the only one. Was skeptical of Matthews being an instant impact. Losing Whop hurts more than we realized.

Weren't Fry and Marshall both talking about being each attempting to be the best WR in the country? Sounds like cheap talk now.
You can't give up on Fryfogle after watching the whole Offensive performance in one game.

He is WR1 for IU this year and teams are focusing on him. Which should mean the other WRs can be more productive - it's up to them to step up.

But no one is going to look great if Penix plays like he did Saturday.

Reactions: hoosier roadtrips
Fryfogle is good, but he is about the only one. Was skeptical of Matthews being an instant impact. Losing Whop hurts more than we realized.
I'm guilty of buying into the hype of a lot of these guys. Why talk up a guy like Matthews, when he's pretty clearly not as good as Whop, even though Whop had a so-so year lat year.

I'm hoping Saturday was a huge anomoly, but I can't say I'm confident it was.

I'm guilty of buying into the hype of a lot of these guys. Why talk up a guy like Matthews, when he's pretty clearly not as good as Whop, even though Whop had a so-so year lat year.

I'm hoping Saturday was a huge anomoly, but I can't say I'm confident it was.

Penix will get more comfortable with time, which will make a huge difference, but I am not confident it will be soon with someone who has yet to finish a season unhurt.

They were good, but Penix didn't see some wide open receivers.

He just looked skittish and that's not like him. He usually sees those open receivers and fires the ball before the DBs can react.

I wonder if he is being overcoached and thinking too much. The announcers kept saying how calm he is in the pocket, but I sure didn't see that in the game.

I don't know if he's still worried about getting hurt or not, but something is definitely off with him.

Whether they are overcoached or under coached sometimes these dudes just need to play better.

Reactions: DANC
Penix is good when he's able to go through his progressions down the field. He has the arm strength to deliver a crisp ball down field and is usually more accurate when he has time to set his feet and deliver. Penix struggles on his accuracy on the quick hitting routes because he doesn't set his feet and doesn't know to throw anything other than a fastball.

Same issues plagued Penix Saturday on the quick, timing routes and he was very hesitant holding onto the ball and going through his progressions downfield. Offensive line had a lot to do with that, but he just didn't look comfortable at all in the pocket. He made a couple nice reads and hit Fryfogle on some seam routes in stride, but that was easily his worst performance under center.

--So much talk about Caleb losing weight, wanting to be an NFL lineman et al. I don't remember many other players about whom so much has been written, with so little production. I know he was dinged up, but.....He seems like a really great kid, but I hope he has something else lined up for a career other than the NFL.

--Early returns on the transfers are mixed. Matthews didn't show much, Buckley showed nothing. Carpenter didn't start. But Anderson & Handy looked the part. Did the 'Ole Miss S play? In an earlier thread someone asked whether all the transfer might disrupt team chemistry. I wonder about that now.

--Did Swinton play? D. Brown? Were either targeted if they did play?

__Concerning Penix.....He still tries to throw every ball 100 mph, often off the back foot....with the result that passes are still too high & uncatchable. Where is the coaching? I don't know if anyone saw the Maryland game, but the way that kid played v. the way Penix played....very alarming.

Penix is good when he's able to go through his progressions down the field. He has the arm strength to deliver a crisp ball down field and is usually more accurate when he has time to set his feet and deliver. Penix struggles on his accuracy on the quick hitting routes because he doesn't set his feet and doesn't know to throw anything other than a fastball.

Same issues plagued Penix Saturday on the quick, timing routes and he was very hesitant holding onto the ball and going through his progressions downfield. Offensive line had a lot to do with that, but he just didn't look comfortable at all in the pocket. He made a couple nice reads and hit Fryfogle on some seam routes in stride, but that was easily his worst performance under center.

Part of me wondered if he wasn't all that confident that Buckley and Mathews would be in the right spot(s).

Reactions: DANC
--So much talk about Caleb losing weight, wanting to be an NFL lineman et al. I don't remember many other players about whom so much has been written, with so little production. I know he was dinged up, but.....He seems like a really great kid, but I hope he has something else lined up for a career other than the NFL.

--Early returns on the transfers are mixed. Matthews didn't show much, Buckley showed nothing. Carpenter didn't start. But Anderson & Handy looked the part. Did the 'Ole Miss S play? In an earlier thread someone asked whether all the transfer might disrupt team chemistry. I wonder about that now.

__Concerning Penix.....He still tries to throw every ball 100 mph, often off the back foot....with the result that passes are still too high & uncatchable. Where is the coaching? I don't know if anyone saw the Maryland game, but the way that kid played v. the way Penix played....very alarming.
About Jones, I've always thought moving him to LT was a huge mistake. He's pretty good at RT - why mess with a good thing?

I get that Penix is left handed and I guess they didn't want Jones on his blind side. But Jones just doesn't look comfortable at LT. And yes, I know he was a last minute starter. He and Penix both looked nervous, which is odd considering how many games they've started.

Rewatched about the first 3 quarters, and OL was better than my first impression (minus Jones), and even thought run blocking was better than pass blocking. If run plays were blown up, it was generally on outside runs with poor WR blocking. IU had decent success running through the middle because of good OL push, but with a lack of consistent passing attack it allowed the LBs to play closer to the line and limit gains to 3-5 yds.

Also something I saw a lot were WRs just standing around on plays that got extended because of good OL blocking or Penix scrambling. They were likely assigned a short route, but put in no additional effort to get open after they ran to their spot

I'm not sure how you say Fryfogle isn't an elite WR. Penix has to get the ball to him. Last year, he threw to Fry when he was covered and Fry came up with the reception more times than not.

This year, he rarely threw to him at all, and none downfield.

Tough to throw too far downfield when you've got a "2 apple" rush coming at you.

I think I read somewhere that Swinton was suspended for violating team rules, but will be back next week. And also perhaps that Buckley was Swinton's fill in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT