ADVERTISEMENT

Upon Further Review …

MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
Duckburg
The disappointment has faded enough to watch the film.

Neither team is a legit Top 10 … yet. Can be if they get better. Fickell gets treated better because of media love for a Ahia State.

Beavers was generally a difference maker, especially when he caused the fumble

Our mistakes hurt us worse than Cincy’s mistakes hurt them. They go offsides or false start. We throw a pick or fumble or keep their touchdown drives alive.

Sheridan made 5-6 GREAT timely play calls and a couple of stinkers.

Fryfogle needs to get out of his head, get mad and make some plays.

There was a couple of big no calls by the refs on the field, including the targeting and the fumble.

Penix took a helmet to his elbow.

In the second half, those teams slugged it out. Sustained drives. Big plays. Cincy finished. We didn’t. I credit and blame mental focus.

WKU starts one dimensional - air raid. If our secondary plays to form, and we generally get our minds right, we’re gonna pound them.

Penix’s mistake come from trying to do too much, and his numbers were skewed low because of drops.

it’s gonna be OK.

I hope it will be all right but the competition will continue to be tough once the B1G games start again. The offense needs to click better and eliminate the mistakes. IU can have a very good season it just has been tough not seeing the best of the Hoosiers against these first two top teams. It is disappointing to see the offense not ready for the start of the season but they can change things in a hurry if they choose to do so.

Offensive disappointment is the QB performance, LOS mediocrity. Dropped passes, turnovers and penalties increases the strength of the magnifying glass. When the QB nudges 70% completion the team ship rises. Sheridan can do better but better play calling is not the panacea of better offense.

It was a very odd game if you want my opinion. Indiana went from what I would call true dominance in the first 1.5 quarters of play, to fairly mediocre in a big hurry. Even though McFadden is an AA, it boggles the mind to witness what transpired.

With Micah playing, I do think that IU has a very good defense. Will they be able to carry the team until the offense figures it out is the question.

Neither team is a legit Top 10

This seems to be a theme with IU fans. Talking down their opponent after a loss. I remember reading multiple posts about how Iowa was not very good and that Indiana was just bad. That simply is not true. Indiana is a good football team. They arent exceptional or dominant, but they have the pieces to hang with any team other than Bama and Georgia.

To be sure, Indiana is not a top 10 team (but Cincy is), but they have top 10 potential and their game against Cincy proved that.

Also Indiana is clearly a top 25 team in terms of potential. The only reason why they will not show up back in the polls is because their schedule is VERY hard (like insanely unfair hard). @Iowa, Cincy, @PSU, Ohio State, MSU, @Michigan, and even Maryland and Minnesota are not give me games (although I think IU wins both). So not only do they play in the brutal East division, they drew two of the better teams in the West and scheduled a top 10 team for non-conference (a game that they should have won).

I see 7 wins for the Hoosiers with an upset coming either vs MSU or Michigan or maybe Ohio State (idc how the Buckeyes look right now they are still the Buckeyes). It is too bad too because this is a talented Indiana team and their game against Cincy proved that Indiana is talented. Instead of downgrading Cincy, you should all realize that the Cincy game simply proved what Indiana fans thought during the off-season: this is a talented Indiana team.

They just happen to play a very difficult schedule this year.

This seems to be a theme with IU fans. Talking down their opponent after a loss. I remember reading multiple posts about how Iowa was not very good and that Indiana was just bad. That simply is not true. Indiana is a good football team. They arent exceptional or dominant, but they have the pieces to hang with any team other than Bama and Georgia.

To be sure, Indiana is not a top 10 team (but Cincy is), but they have top 10 potential and their game against Cincy proved that.

Also Indiana is clearly a top 25 team in terms of potential. The only reason why they will not show up back in the polls is because their schedule is VERY hard (like insanely unfair hard). @Iowa, Cincy, @PSU, Ohio State, MSU, @Michigan, and even Maryland and Minnesota are not give me games (although I think IU wins both). So not only do they play in the brutal East division, they drew two of the better teams in the West and scheduled a top 10 team for non-conference (a game that they should have won).

I see 7 wins for the Hoosiers with an upset coming either vs MSU or Michigan or maybe Ohio State (idc how the Buckeyes look right now they are still the Buckeyes). It is too bad too because this is a talented Indiana team and their game against Cincy proved that Indiana is talented. Instead of downgrading Cincy, you should all realize that the Cincy game simply proved what Indiana fans thought during the off-season: this is a talented Indiana team.

They just happen to play a very difficult schedule this year.
Some agreeacne. Some disagreean extra.

ive watched all 3 play in person and reviewed the film.

I said Iowa was Top 5 before our game and after. Still believe that. They are solid on both sides of the ball

But Cincy had bigger holes on the d-line. One great corner - one great LB. their TEs were no where near Iowa or IU.

The only reason Cincy stayed in the game was McFadden got tossed and gave them their running game back, and because 4 of our top 5 receivers missed 13 (!) balls due to drops and poor throws. We let them hang around, and Beavers made the winning play by putting a helmet on the ball and changing a TD into a fumble at money time. If Beavers had not played, it would have been a big IU win. But any team that turns from a winner to a loser based on 1 non-QB player isn’t Top 10.

on their best day, IU can be a Top 10. I didn’t see that in Cincy. But Fickle coached at Ohio State so the media will darling them up all year.

I said Iowa was Top 5 before our game and after. Still believe that. They are solid on both sides of the ball

But Cincy had bigger holes on the d-line. One great corner - one great LB. their TEs were no where near Iowa or IU.

The only reason Cincy stayed in the game was McFadden got tossed and gave them their running game back, and because 4 of our top 5 receivers missed 13 (!) balls due to drops and poor throws. We let them hang around, and Beavers made the winning play by putting a helmet on the ball and changing a TD into a fumble at money time. If Beavers had not played, it would have been a big IU win. But any team that turns from a winner to a loser based on 1 non-QB player isn’t Top 10.

on their best day, IU can be a Top 10. I didn’t see that in Cincy. But Fickle coached at Ohio State so the media will darling them up all year.

Thats fair. I do not believe that Cincy has the pure talent to match up with most top 10 teams, but they are very well coached and clearly can compete at that level. I do think Indiana should have won that game and was pretty PO'd when they didnt.

OT: why the hell is Indiana playing @ Western Kentucky? It does not make any sense to me why a Big Ten team would ever agree to play on the road against a program like Western Kentucky.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Thats fair. I do not believe that Cincy has the pure talent to match up with most top 10 teams, but they are very well coached and clearly can compete at that level. I do think Indiana should have won that game and was pretty PO'd when they didnt.

OT: why the hell is Indiana playing @ Western Kentucky? It does not make any sense to me why a Big Ten team would ever agree to play on the road against a program like Western Kentucky.
I could be wrong, but as I recall , Way back in the day, maybe even back to Hep, pre-Petrino, we gave Western a 2 for 1 deal. We needed to schedule for wins.

Maybe even some Crean influence, who married Jack Harbaugh’s daughter, and he had revived the Western football FCS program And was still influential there.

You're selling Fickell and Cincinnati way too short. They have an elite defense with NFL talent at all three levels. You mentioned Beavers but not Deshawn Pace. He had 10 tackles Saturday (nine solo), intercepted Penix late in the game to seal the win, and was named AAC Defensive Player of the Week.

On offense, Ridder (their QB) is projected as a first or second round pick, Jerome Ford is a quality running back, and Alec Pierce had a big day at WR.

That said, we've got some serious talent as well but they made plays when they needed to and we did not. Red zone play without points, and turnovers, are killing us.

The disappointment has faded enough to watch the film.

Neither team is a legit Top 10 … yet. Can be if they get better. Fickell gets treated better because of media love for a Ahia State.

Beavers was generally a difference maker, especially when he caused the fumble

Our mistakes hurt us worse than Cincy’s mistakes hurt them. They go offsides or false start. We throw a pick or fumble or keep their touchdown drives alive.

Sheridan made 5-6 GREAT timely play calls and a couple of stinkers.

Fryfogle needs to get out of his head, get mad and make some plays.

There was a couple of big no calls by the refs on the field, including the targeting and the fumble.

Penix took a helmet to his elbow.

In the second half, those teams slugged it out. Sustained drives. Big plays. Cincy finished. We didn’t. I credit and blame mental focus.

WKU starts one dimensional - air raid. If our secondary plays to form, and we generally get our minds right, we’re gonna pound them.

Penix’s mistake come from trying to do too much, and his numbers were skewed low because of drops.

it’s gonna be OK.
We have a singular quarter to pound now

ADVERTISEMENT