ADVERTISEMENT

Update from WDRB's Rick Bozich

Are we trying to recruit players or fans? For players, it's an unbelievable facility. For fans, it has improved considerably since the reno and has some really nice amenities.

I don't think it's improved much for fans. Most of the shortcomings it has in that area aren't easily improvable. I mean, if you're over 6 feet tall, bring some kneepads. And be careful not to kick over your or your neighbor's soda. And the concession areas aren't much better than a decent HS gymnasium.

As for the players' experiences, I can't speak much to that not having, ya know, been a player. I mean, I've been in the locker rooms prior to the renovation. I haven't seen them since that and the project donated by Zeller and Oladipo. Maybe they're great, I don't know.

But, based on the what I do know about the rest of the facility, I tend to think that whoever Bozich spoke to was probably right about it being "good, not great" as compared to what other programs offer.

Reactions: kkott
What's the difference in numbers of allocated student tickets now compared to the Knight years?

I believe ther are more today but I could be wrong. I vividly remember getting an allocation of X games with a split of balcony, court level and main level.

Of course demand was higher then for three reasons: First we didn't all have 60" flat screens to watch in fancy dorms and apartments and second, lots of fee reciepts were collected from girls, foreign students and music students to buy more student seats that we sold to alumni in the parking lots. Student ID's were not required then. Third the product was better.

Later on the AD got smart and forced alumni who bought student tickets in the lots to pay at the window to convert them.

Lots of early business leaasons learned as a student entrepreneur.

Reactions: Spartans9312
My position here is well-documented on this subject. I wanted Glass to sell 2,000 of the 8.000 student seats to the waiting list of young alumni and others with low point totals. Fill the balconies up with people who show up for all games not just the big game.

Glass never did it but hopefully Scott will.
Fewer students? Interesting take.

I doubt even recent grads with season tickets would make the trek to Assembly if the product stinks.

Winning cures everything.

Reactions: kkott
I don't think it's improved much for fans. Most of the shortcomings it has in that area aren't easily improvable. I mean, if you're over 6 feet tall, bring some kneepads. And be careful not to kick over your or your neighbor's soda. And the concession areas aren't much better than a decent HS gymnasium.

As for the players' experiences, I can't speak much to that not having, ya know, been a player. I mean, I've been in the locker rooms prior to the renovation. I haven't seen them since that and the project donated by Zeller and Oladipo. Maybe they're great, I don't know.

But, based on the what I do know about the rest of the facility, I tend to think that whoever Bozich spoke to was probably right about it being "good, not great" as compared to what other programs offer.

Hinkle is less convenient, the concessions and restrooms are far worse, drafty as hell, top 20 rows the game is a rumour... but it will not be going away any time soon, I love the place with it's ambiance and smell of popcorn.

The Assembly Hall, Palestra, Hinkle, Cameron...the crown jewels.

Last edited:
Reactions: boilerdelph
Fewer students? Interesting take.

I doubt even recent grads with season tickets would make the trek to Assembly if the product stinks.

Winning cures everything.

yes...no doubt that winning cures all, have always said this but those 2,000 students are only showing up for 5 games a year now and more butts will be in the seats with alumni who come down for the overall experience of dining/drinking out in the many great spots in Btown.

Liked Fred but this was a blind spot for him.

In my view, you are there for a basketball game. If they win, it will be a great experience. If they lose, all of the "inconveniences" add up and make you wonder if you'll come back.

I don't have season tickets nor do I make the trip to Bloomington frequently enough to attend many games. When I do come, I'm paying top dollar for good seats as I think it's absolutely worth it.

Assembly Hall is unreal for the first 30 rows, beyond that, you need to win games to make it worth it. That being said, it's the same everywhere. I could care less about the bathrooms or the concessions, I'll be there for two hours to see a game, not to make 4 trips for more popcorn or drinks.

In my view, you are there for a basketball game. If they win, it will be a great experience. If they lose, all of the "inconveniences" add up and make you wonder if you'll come back.

I don't have season tickets nor do I make the trip to Bloomington frequently enough to attend many games. When I do come, I'm paying top dollar for good seats as I think it's absolutely worth it.

Assembly Hall is unreal for the first 30 rows, beyond that, you need to win games to make it worth it. That being said, it's the same everywhere. I could care less about the bathrooms or the concessions, I'll be there for two hours to see a game, not to make 4 trips for more popcorn or drinks.

Although if you had a few pints before the game ya gotta hit the head a few times and everyone has to stand up for you to get by.

Reactions: Tony Warwick

This is 30 minutes long, but it's a pretty decent overview as to what was completed during the renovation. There are other videos on Cook Hall and the locker rooms.

As I said, this is a very commonly held view. And I totally get it -- to some degree, I even sympathize with it.

I just don't ultimately agree with it. SSAH was built in an era that architectural historians would just as soon forget -- and that includes virtually all sporting venues constructed in that era. They lack both the rustic charm of older facilities (Hinkle, Cameron, Fenway, etc.) and the state-of-the-art trappings of modern facilities like Bankers Life or Yum.

The seats at AH are, in a word, awful -- it's like sitting in a commuter aircraft. It would be nice if there were cupholders, but there's no room for them. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of obstructed view seats -- an unforgivable design flaw, even in 1971. The concessions and restrooms are way below modern standards. Private/corporate accommodations are still sparse, but better after the renovation.

I realize that visitors want to get a peek inside, etc. You're referring to the sentimental value of the facility, which I've acknowledged. A whole, whole lot of people made similar arguments when the Yankees decided to replace Yankee Stadium. You mean...you're going to tear down the House that Ruth Built? Heresy!! And, to some degree, Yankee fans still miss the old YS. But not many of them want to go back after visiting the new one.
Part of the problem with the outdated design of AH was that a center court, suspended scoreboard wasn’t initially contemplated. When constructed, the cabled roof was reinforced to allow for this (the original scoreboard came from the New Fieldhouse), but the sight lines weren’t considered, making full scoreboard views from the last five or six rows of the main level obstructed.

This is 30 minutes long, but it's a pretty decent overview as to what was completed during the renovation. There are other videos on Cook Hall and the locker rooms.

While I would have voted to bulldoze AH and replace it, the renovation is nice enough to sustain it for a little bit more. But I don't think AH, or most arenas, hurts recruitment much or at all. I think where IU's facilities are good but not great is at Cook Hall. It was dedicated in 2010 and so much has changed in 11 years in student athlete facilities. Cook has everything *needed*, but it doesn't have a waterslide that drops you into a Lamborghini or beautiful 2,3,4 story airy spaces like some new facilities across college athletics. The weight room meets the needs, but it's smallish with a low-ceiling and just doesn't have the wow factor that some of the newest spaces do. It's just a more modest space than some of what has been built in the last decade since it opened.

Reactions: IUgradman
Depended on the year, how many students submitted claim cards and the number of games included. It would vary. One year we reduced the number of games because we had over 18,000 claim cards submitted for a season ticket. We could reduce the number of games to increase the number who received tickets. That year we issued 15,600 student season tickets...

It was decided it was better for more students to see fewer games, rather than only 9000 get them all.

Reactions: Sonap
While I would have voted to bulldoze AH and replace it, the renovation is nice enough to sustain it for a little bit more. But I don't think AH, or most arenas, hurts recruitment much or at all. I think where IU's facilities are good but not great is at Cook Hall. It was dedicated in 2010 and so much has changed in 11 years in student athlete facilities. Cook has everything *needed*, but it doesn't have a waterslide that drops you into a Lamborghini or beautiful 2,3,4 story airy spaces like some new facilities across college athletics. The weight room meets the needs, but it's smallish with a low-ceiling and just doesn't have the wow factor that some of the newest spaces do. It's just a more modest space than some of what has been built in the last decade since it opened.
Well, it certainly is an arms race, but it's much better than what they had and if they see that they need to improve it, they most definitely will.

Assembly Hall is far from perfect but I considered it an absolute PRIVILEGE to attend games there from 1984-88 and the handful of times I've gone back since. Concessions, bathrooms and assorted whatevers didn't concern me one bit. I "even" enjoyed the games in the balcony when I couldn't see the scoreboard. JUST WIN, BABY!

Exactly- and I don’t see how IU closes the facilities gap unless they build a new practice facility which won’t happen. They renovated part of Cook Hall last season to add a players’ lounge and new locker room.

ADVERTISEMENT