ADVERTISEMENT

Update from WDRB's Rick Bozich

Look at this year's roster. Ok look at last year's roster. Several freshmen play significant rolls at TT. One starts regularly. You should be "sold" on Beard - to the extent it matters. The basketball minds of America are completely sold on him, Look at him - its RMK 30 years ago.
Easy now.

Reactions: iuhoosierstildeath
I’ll take any of them except Matta. I just don’t think his back is fine. And his style is very similar to Archieball. He’s just a little better recruiter.
His style took him dancing with every team he coached and made deep runs. The success he had at osu was more solid than anyone on any list except Donovan because he won two.

Another guy that never gets brought up much is Altman. He's done plenty of tourney damage with 3 different schools and gone deep in the dance. Heres the opening line of his bio on Oregons site.

Dana Altman is one of only five active coaches in NCAA Division I with 23 consecutive winning seasons. He is part of an exclusive fraternity that includes Hall-of-Famers Mike Krzyzewski, Tom Izzo, Bill Self and Jim Boeheim.

Thats strong. jmho

Rupp Arena may not be the prettiest place but that Wildcat Lodge (or whatever it’s called) where the players live is something else entirely.
The point Bozich's source made was specifically about the arena. I'm glad UK's mercenaries get to adjust to the accomodations they will experience on the road in the NBA the following year, though. Good for them.

Bozich is full of sh1t. The locker rooms and players lounges were all recently upgraded. They're opulent. That's what will impress an 18 year old kid, not the lobby.
This is correct. Both lounge/locker rooms in AH and in CH were recently renovated. They are clearly top of the line. No recruit cares if the balcony seats are too high. Get AH rocking like Cameron or Phog and there you go.

His style took him dancing with every team he coached and made deep runs. The success he had at osu was more solid than anyone on any list except Donovan because he won two.

Another guy that never gets brought up much is Altman. He's done plenty of tourney damage with 3 different schools and gone deep in the dance. Heres the opening line of his bio on Oregons site.

Dana Altman is one of only five active coaches in NCAA Division I with 23 consecutive winning seasons. He is part of an exclusive fraternity that includes Hall-of-Famers Mike Krzyzewski, Tom Izzo, Bill Self and Jim Boeheim.

Thats strong. jmho

B O R I N G.........662 WP, 1 FF, 1 E8 in 32 years of coaching......He's done well at Oregon, but he's got a lot of advantages at Oregon.

Brody Boyd...dude averaged like 30+ a game. Chucked it from way downtown religiously...believe he played at Iowa
If you didn’t pick him up at half court he would shoot it in your face! Jared Chambers was pretty good too. That gym was friggin loud!!!

Boyd was running a scam youth training program a few years ago where he was stiffing people. Also cashed a 500,000 scratcher earlier this year. His after basketball life has been....well....not good.

It wasn't a popular opinion then (or now, I'm sure). But, when the Simon-Skjodt family made that large donation, I thought they should've considered a down payment toward replacing AH.

I know that many consider it iconic -- and understandably so. And I know that it's sacrilege among many sports fans to even discuss razing facilities they consider sacred.

But, sentimentality aside, it's really not a great facility -- even after the recent facelift.
AH, while not a great place to view a game in any rows above 28, is iconic. I hope it's around forever. Same can be said about Kansas, Duke, Wrigley, and Fenway.

If the decision is made this week, then it’s pretty clear to me it’s Beilein or Fife.

If it drags on, it’s pretty clear they are waiting for their top targets to drop out. Drew, Beard etc.

Also, it’s not Steve. My guess is they already have a verbal agreement or else the donors wouldn’t pony up. I’m not forking over $10M without asking “what is the plan”?

Timing is everything with Stevens. I’m afraid it won’t work out this time either.
I'd say the chances of it being Stevens are between a pipe dream and wishful thinking. In either event, neither are happening.

Bozich is full of sh1t. The locker rooms and players lounges were all recently upgraded. They're opulent. That's what will impress an 18 year old kid, not the lobby.
What other facilities besides IU‘s have you seen?

This is correct. Both lounge/locker rooms in AH and in CH were recently renovated. They are clearly top of the line. recruit cares if the balcony seats are too high. Get AH rocking like Cameron or Phog and there you go.
Have you ever seen the facilities at any other school?

It wasn't a popular opinion then (or now, I'm sure). But, when the Simon-Skjodt family made that large donation, I thought they should've considered a down payment toward replacing AH.

I know that many consider it iconic -- and understandably so. And I know that it's sacrilege among many sports fans to even discuss razing facilities they consider sacred.

But, sentimentality aside, it's really not a great facility -- even after the recent facelift.
It has been and it still is a great facility. It just does not meet YOUR expectations.

Reactions: aajohn2000
No idea who Dolson will pick and I have no preference. I think it is great that
1. Archie is gone. Now whomever they pick, we have a chance and a chance next year.
2. Rich alums care enough to put together 10M ( or whatever the final number will be). Thank you.
3. Dolson is not hiring a search committee. To me that means he is willing to take on the job and the responsibility. That is strong leadership.
4. He had started discreet feelers a few weeks ago and nothing leaked. Suggests to me he has control over his department.
5. Dolson says he will wind this up quickly. That should help with recruiting via the transfer portal and help keep the freshman. Galloway and Leal have already said they are staying.
6. He understood Archie was not the answer.

Reactions: iulb and mcmurtry66
It has been and it still is a great facility. It just does not meet YOUR expectations.
Well, I don’t think it is. And I’m not the only one who thinks that.

Its primary value is nostalgia — which is fine. But whoever spoke to Bozich had this about right. It’s not going to be all that impressive to most kids we’re recruiting...unless they’re from Indiana and have some of the sentimental equity.

Reactions: Birnk403
Musselman’s dad was in trouble for something way back whe

I have not been in assembly Hall in a long time but the balcony seats used to be awful. Too steep and too far away. On the main level some of the really high rose had obstructive seating.
Those balcony seats and the court have not changed their relative positions.

• Haha
Reactions: Radio Zero
Well, I don’t think it is. And I’m not the only one who thinks that.

Its primary value is nostalgia — which is fine. But whoever spoke to Bozich had this about right. It’s not going to be all that impressive to most kids we’re recruiting...unless they’re from Indiana and have some of the sentimental equity.
Then how does Duke do it? What, with their archaic, dinky gym?

Some of you must have never been on the court when we played Kentucky throughout the 70s and 80s. Ohio State for the B1G championship in 80, the games against Duke and Kansas and UNC. Sustained noise for 40 minutes.

Every body bitches about sitting in the balcony, and yeah it does kinda suck, but
the noise rolls out of the balcony
and the sound from the upper main is magnified
and it all just cascades down to the floor and you literally can't talk to a person next to you without screaming.

When the hall is rockin' it's arguably the greatest home court in college BB. Talk about intimidation.

If you like to watch sets and schemes, the balcony is ok for a game or two. I feel the same way about Memorial Stadium, I want to sit at least 70 rows up and see the whole field.

The balcony sucks , but the players aren’t playing in the balcony so they could care less about it . When IU is playing and the hall is rocking it’s a great place to be the home team .

Reactions: Inigo Montoya
Never liked his style of play? What, good floor spacing, shooting, and efficient offense don't do it for you? Guy won 30 games two years ago and made the second weekend of the tournament in 6 out of his last 8 years at Michigan.
you just said it. all 3 and no D.

Yep. That's the group I was thinking about.

just remembered this but they had a set of twins on their team that were damn good. They went to Purdue but not to play but they were pet the men’s team that would scrimmage against the girls team up there. Ended up playing pick up ball with them after college for a few years...good guys. And now we’re all out of our prime haha

Reactions: Spartans9312
Lol. Finished 2nd and 3rd in KenPom defensive efficiency his last 2 years at Michigan. You have no clue what you’re talking about.
If we hire a guy we knowingly will have to replace in five years or fewer, we’ve failed. Again.

Nope. Time to do this correctly, for a change. Beilein, while a good coach, would be a band aid, at best. Why would you advocate such a shortsighted approach, especially since you were so slow to recognize that Miller wasn’t capable of building our program back up?

Nope. Time to do this correctly, for a change. Beilein, while a good coach, would be a band aid, at best. Why would you advocate such a shortsighted approach, especially since you were so slow to recognize that Miller wasn’t capable of building our program back up?

The only reason you take Beilein is if he sells you on an assistant he brings with him that will be a no-brainer to succeed him. He's old. His first 3 years at Michigan were not good, and his third year was so under expectations he was on the hot seat (and I don't see any roster he inherits (including a transfer or two) will be better than what he had at Michigan at the start). IU needs to find "the guy" and establish long term credibility with recruits.

Reactions: Brockettman
ADVERTISEMENT