ADVERTISEMENT

Update from WDRB's Rick Bozich

MikeHoncho69

Sophomore
Jan 15, 2018
Two sources that I talked to Monday said the top-six targets were Texas Tech coach Chris Beard; Scott Drew of Baylor; former Michigan coach John Beilein; former Ohio State coach Thad Matta; Eric Musselman of Arkansas and Boston Celtics coach Brad Stevens.

“The word is they’re going to move quickly,” one source said.

“They must have a guy who is their home run hire to do what they did today,” another college basketball source said.

I asked the two sources to outline what they perceived to be the strengths as well as the challenges of the IU job.

Strengths: tradition and engaged fan base; game-day atmosphere; solid recruiting base and the willingness to spend on the basketball program.

Challenges: Unrealistic expectations to repeat the on-court success of Knight, who won three national titles and at least a share of eight Big Ten championships during his first 16 seasons.

“They have to let that go,” the source said. “It’s a different landscape out there.”

The sources said that Indiana’s facilities — Assembly Hall for games; Cook Hall for practice — were certainly good enough to win but not the best in college basketball.

“Players today aren’t as wowed by Assembly Hall as Indiana fans believe that they are,” the source said.

I’ll take any of them except Matta. I just don’t think his back is fine. And his style is very similar to Archieball. He’s just a little better recruiter.

Reactions: iuhoosierstildeath
“Players today aren’t as wowed by Assembly Hall as Indiana fans believe that they are,” the source said.

It wasn't a popular opinion then (or now, I'm sure). But, when the Simon-Skjodt family made that large donation, I thought they should've considered a down payment toward replacing AH.

I know that many consider it iconic -- and understandably so. And I know that it's sacrilege among many sports fans to even discuss razing facilities they consider sacred.

But, sentimentality aside, it's really not a great facility -- even after the recent facelift.

Any other AD would’ve replaced it. But, “Golly Gee” Glass just couldn’t get over his Nostalgia.

Two sources that I talked to Monday said the top-six targets were Texas Tech coach Chris Beard; Scott Drew of Baylor; former Michigan coach John Beilein; former Ohio State coach Thad Matta; Eric Musselman of Arkansas and Boston Celtics coach Brad Stevens.

“They must have a guy who is their home run hire to do what they did today,” another college basketball source said.

I asked the two sources to outline what they perceived to be the strengths as well as the challenges of the IU job.

Strengths: tradition and engaged fan base; game-day atmosphere; solid recruiting base and the willingness to spend on the basketball program.

Challenges: Unrealistic expectations to repeat the on-court success of Knight, who won three national titles and at least a share of eight Big Ten championships during his first 16 seasons.

“They have to let that go,” the source said. “It’s a different landscape out there.”

The sources said that Indiana’s facilities — Assembly Hall for games; Cook Hall for practice — were certainly good enough to win but not the best in college basketball.

I'm just not seeing Musselman. The other five, fine.

Somebody is going to have to sell me on Musselman. I just don't see an improvement from Crean and Miller.

It wasn't a popular opinion then (or now, I'm sure). But, when the Simon-Skjodt family made that large donation, I thought they should've considered a down payment toward replacing AH.

I know that many consider it iconic -- and understandably so. And I know that it's sacrilege among many sports fans to even discuss razing facilities they consider sacred.

But, sentimentality aside, it's really not a great facility -- even after the recent facelift.
This is 100% accurate. I'm an IU alum (class of 2014), and would have no problem seeing Assembly Hall torn down and replaced with a state of the art arena. I know that won't happen, but I can promise that 15, 16, 17 & 18 year old kids are not wowed by Assembly Hall. They would be more impressed with Bankers Life Fieldhouse, honestly.

I’ll take any of them except Matta. I just don’t think his back is fine. And his style is very similar to Archieball. He’s just a little better recruiter.

Fk, how in the hell do you (think you) know how Thad Matta's back is doing? Are you pals with his orthopedist? Are you just repeating things that people "heard"? Or are you just conversing with your posterior?

Thad's a big boy. He knows a couple things: 1) what it takes to be a head coach in the Big Ten, 2) whether or not he's physically up to it. If he's not, I'm sure he won't entertain any offers.

no on belien. never liked his style of play. all the other are fine.

Reactions: iuhoosierstildeath
Most people aren't aware of how bad of a tiny little dump Cameron is. I've stood at center court in it. Many gyms in Indiana make it look silly.

It's a neat, albeit small venue but nobody is committing or not committing to Duke because of it. Same with Assembly Hall. Kids would commit to IU if they played in the HPER as long as they consistently win.

Why not keep it? Re-purpose it and make it part of it a museum. I hate the thought of tearing down iconic facilities.

IU can build a new edifice - McCracken-Knight Hall

. If Musselman comes to IU, would Justin transfer back ?? :)

I like the list...if this is true. Not a fan of the Alford/Fife chat so this list, if true, shows they are taking this seriously. We shall see.

Reactions: TommyCracker
I'm just not seeing Musselman. The other five, fine.

Somebody is going to have to sell me on Musselman. I just don't see an improvement from Crean and Miller.

Bloomington would get instantly prettier. That's not a knock, any town would get instantly prettier.

636240355794345544-Musselman2.jpg

If the decision is made this week, then it’s pretty clear to me it’s Beilein or Fife.

If it drags on, it’s pretty clear they are waiting for their top targets to drop out. Drew, Beard etc.

Also, it’s not Steve. My guess is they already have a verbal agreement or else the donors wouldn’t pony up. I’m not forking over $10M without asking “what is the plan”?

Timing is everything with Stevens. I’m afraid it won’t work out this time either.

I believe his name is in there due to two factors:

1. Success at schools with no basketball tradition in Nevada and Arkansas.

2. NBA coaching background.

Most appearances in the AP Top 10 (1977-2000)

#9 Indiana 120
#10 Arkansas 118
#10 Georgetown 118
#12 UNLV 111
#13 U-Conn 100
#14 Louisville 91

It goes back to some of the delusion that you see here and in any fan base . . . “Our stadium / arena is the best, our campus is the best, our facilities are the best, our fan support is the best, come here and you’re a legend forever“ . . . and on and on and on.

The last 20+ years should’ve served as a humbling experience for all IU fans, but some cling stubbornly to an outdated and inaccurate notion that we have some unique secret sauce that no one else has or will ever get. It has deluded people into believing things that simply aren’t true, and it befuddles people who can’t understand how we aren’t at he top of the sport.

AH has lots of great memories for all of us connected to IU, but not everyone sees it that way. If we’re wise, we’ll finally take the humbling hint, dismount from our high horse, and attack this as if we’ve never been good and that we’re willing to do all of the big and little things needed (within the rules) to be elite again.

In the order of my preference:
Stevens
Drew
Beard
Matta (if healthy and thinks he can stay healthy)
Musselman
Beilein - he's very old and probably would take a few years to get his system in place.

Agree. Assembly hall has passed its use by date. Time to build a brand new Robert M. Knight Palace.

Reactions: bang63
This is 100% accurate. I'm an IU alum (class of 2014), and would have no problem seeing Assembly Hall torn down and replaced with a state of the art arena. I know that won't happen, but I can promise that 15, 16, 17 & 18 year old kids are not wowed by Assembly Hall. They would be more impressed with Bankers Life Fieldhouse, honestly.
So, you are 29-30 and know what 15-18 year olds want? I must be full of it, thinking that a 15-18 year old wanted the crowd to scream his name at Hoosier Hysteria and a point guard to get him the ball when the season starts.

Guessing here...the atmosphere for the game is what would impress those kids you mention. If a kid spends an afternoon in Cook Hall, then walks through the tunnel before the game...and the atmosphere is like the old days...I’d say they’d be very impressed. Obviously any kid the last few years hasn’t seen what Assembly Hall is/can be when we’re ranked and playing someone good.

Reactions: Crayfish57
In the order of my preference:
Stevens
Drew
Beard
Matta (if healthy and thinks he can stay healthy)
Musselman
Beilein - he's very old and probably would take a few years to get his system in place.
Nice ranking. I agree except maybe flip Beard ahead of Drew and Beilein shouldn’t be considered. Good coach but age and his Cleveland experience should eliminate him.

Guessing here...the atmosphere for the game is what would impress those kids you mention. If a kid spends an afternoon in Cook Hall, then walks through the tunnel before the game...and the atmosphere is like the old days...I’d say they’d be very impressed. Obviously any kid the last few years hasn’t seen what Assembly Hall is/can be when we’re ranked and playing someone good.
Gonna have to eliminate some student tickets if you want the old atmosphere back.

Agree. Assembly hall has passed its use by date. Time to build a brand new Robert M. Knight Palace.
That'll never happen, because arena's are now all built with big donations from large corporations and their name will be on the building, not a former coach. The only individual name that could potentially be on the new arena would be Mark Cuban, but calling it the Cuban Center would make it seem out of context.

IIRC as part of the McNeely-generated "athletic facilities master plan" back in the day, the possibility of replacing SSAH was investigated and found to simply be too expensive--even with plans for a smaller facility (based on Univ. of Missouri's BB facility)

wonder if a Brad Stevens hire might change that? might as well dream big.....

Reactions: 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT