ADVERTISEMENT

Update from WDRB's Rick Bozich

Most people aren't aware of how bad of a tiny little dump Cameron is. I've stood at center court in it. Many gyms in Indiana make it look silly.

played semi state in Washington’s gym down south and that place was unbelievable. This was in 99’ but pretty sure it’s still the same. Felt like you were playing in a pit.

3A...should have clarified. We played Madison and then Gibson Southern....I played for Plainfield. Gibson Southern played the best team ball I’ve ever seen. We just had size and they were small.

Reactions: Spartans9312
I'm just not seeing Musselman. The other five, fine.

Somebody is going to have to sell me on Musselman. I just don't see an improvement from Crean and Miller.
Mike Boynton if IU can afford and convince him. Except possibly for Musselman and Motta, those 6 look to me not to be available for an IU hiring.

3A...should have clarified. We played Madison and then Gibson Southern....I played for Plainfield. Gibson Southern played the best team ball I’ve ever seen. We just had size and they were small.
If I remember that Gibson Southern team played essentially a Princeton style offense.

Reactions: ncthomas31
Two sources that I talked to Monday said the top-six targets were Texas Tech coach Chris Beard; Scott Drew of Baylor; former Michigan coach John Beilein; former Ohio State coach Thad Matta; Eric Musselman of Arkansas and Boston Celtics coach Brad Stevens.

“The word is they’re going to move quickly,” one source said.

“They must have a guy who is their home run hire to do what they did today,” another college basketball source said.

I asked the two sources to outline what they perceived to be the strengths as well as the challenges of the IU job.

Strengths: tradition and engaged fan base; game-day atmosphere; solid recruiting base and the willingness to spend on the basketball program.

Challenges: Unrealistic expectations to repeat the on-court success of Knight, who won three national titles and at least a share of eight Big Ten championships during his first 16 seasons.

“They have to let that go,” the source said. “It’s a different landscape out there.”

The sources said that Indiana’s facilities — Assembly Hall for games; Cook Hall for practice — were certainly good enough to win but not the best in college basketball.

“Players today aren’t as wowed by Assembly Hall as Indiana fans believe that they are,” the source said.

Two things out of that excerpt from Bozich's source(s) really got under my skin a little bit. First, that players aren't "wowed" by an aging Assembly Hall. That argument makes no sense, and completely loses its legs when you consider: Rupp Arena (five years younger, but not near as many recent updates), Phog Allen (a complete barn), Cameron Indoor (almost as nice as New Castle), whatever high school gym Gonzaga plays in, the "other" Assembly Hall, or any number of other home gyms for the current top recruiting programs. Hell, Purdue has been doing really well on the recruiting trail the past two years, and Mackey is even older, with its most recent significant upgrade happening nine years ago, and still pales in comparison. That argument is completely without merit, IMO. Kids play where they can see themselves winning, and AH still holds up just fine as a selling point, regardless. Especially, when there are fans packed in and energized behind a coach that's elevated the program back.

Second, speaking for myself and most IU fans I've ever interacted with since Knight was let go, we're NOT looking to duplicate the Knight on-court success. We HAVE let go of that. I don't think Davis, Sampson, Crean, and now Miller were let go because they didn't win three titles. That's absurd, and insultingly simplistic. What I will say is, *because* of the tradition established before and enhanced by Knight, there is an expectation to at least be in the conversation of teams threatening to contend in any given year. Why should that not be a reasonable expectation for any program that has won multiple titles over multiple decades? You know what isn't reasonable? Finishing in the bottom half of the conference and sweating out Selection Sundays over the past several seasons. Most of us just want a consistent winner, and to re-establish the program with the other historic ones that are currently there. That would make me satisfied.

Last edited:
“Players today aren’t as wowed by Assembly Hall as Indiana fans believe that they are,” the source said.

This is exactly the Problem. We shouldn't be going after players to "WOW" them!!!! If they need to be
Wowed.... then that means they have an EGO and the ME ME ME mentality!!!!!!! That's a problem.

They are coming to IU to get an education and if they play basketball well enough, they might make it
to the NBA.

I know.... I know..... everybody is going to say I'm to old fashioned and the education part is out of it.

But that is what I liked about Bob Knight.... he recruited kids that had a BRAIN, SOME RESPECT and
good basketball knowledge.

What we get now is kids that want to know how many Euro Steps they can take before the refs
call traveling on them.

It's time to get rid of the NBA.... and overhaul the College Basketball system.

Bottom line.... I'll be dead and gone by the time that all happens.

At least I got it off my chest. haha

Musselman’s dad was in trouble for something way back whe
It wasn't a popular opinion then (or now, I'm sure). But, when the Simon-Skjodt family made that large donation, I thought they should've considered a down payment toward replacing AH.

I know that many consider it iconic -- and understandably so. And I know that it's sacrilege among many sports fans to even discuss razing facilities they consider sacred.

But, sentimentality aside, it's really not a great facility -- even after the recent facelift.
I have not been in assembly Hall in a long time but the balcony seats used to be awful. Too steep and too far away. On the main level some of the really high rose had obstructive seating.

Two things out of that excerpt from Bozich's source(s) really got under my skin a little bit. First, that players aren't "wowed" by an aging Assembly Hall. That argument makes no sense, and completely loses its legs when you consider: Rupp Arena (five years younger, but not near as many recent updates), Phog Allen (a complete barn), Cameron Indoor (almost as nice as New Castle), whatever high school gym Gonzaga plays in, the "other" Assembly Hall, or any number of other home gyms for the current top recruiting programs. Hell, Purdue has been doing really well on the recruiting trail the past two years, and Mackey is even older, with its most recent significant upgrade happening nine years ago, and still pales in comparison. That argument is completely without merit, IMO. Kids play where they can see themselves winning, and AH still holds up just fine as a selling point, regardless. Especially, when there are fans packed in and energized behind a coach that's elevated the program back.

Second, speaking for myself and most IU fans I've ever interacted with since Knight was let go, we're NOT looking to duplicate the Knight on-court success. We HAVE let go of that. I don't think Davis, Sampson, Crean, and now Miller were let go because they didn't win three titles. That's absurd, and insultingly simplistic. What I will say is, *because* of the tradition established before and enhanced by Knight, there is an expectation to at least be in the conversation of teams threatening to contend in any given year. Why should that not be an expectation for any program that has won multiple titles over multiple decades? You know what isn't reasonable? Finishing in the bottom half of the conference and sweating out Selection Sundays over the past several seasons. Most of us just want a consistent winner, and to re-establish the program with the other historic ones that are currently there. That would make me satisfied.

Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Clemson, LSU, OSU, Oklahoma, Michigan, Notre Dame, Florida State, among a few others, expect to be in the football championship chase every year. They don't expect to win the title every year, and they might have short periods where they're not quite in the hunt, but the expectation the program is going to be near the top is always there.

We once had that expectation in basketball. It's not unreasonable for that to be the norm again. Falling to the bottom level of our own conference just isn't acceptable.

I don't expect three national titles in 16 years. I DO expect competing in the Big 10 conference every year, making the NCAA tourney every year and a deep run every four years. SURELY, there's a coach out there who can take IU's "substandard" facilities and do that!

I don't expect three national titles in 16 years. I DO expect competing in the Big 10 conference every year, making the NCAA tourney every year and a deep run every four years. SURELY, there's a coach out there who can take IU's "substandard" facilities and do that!

Yup - I think 95% of IU fans would be overjoyed with Bo Ryan's Wisconsin run, Matta's tenure at OSU, or Beilein's Michigan for the next guy, just with one of those runs turned into a banner. Even when RMK was the coach we weren't a title contender every year, his runs were cyclical.

Archie had 1 or 0 (depending on how you view last season) tournament appearances in 4 seasons. At IU I expect every year but would accept something like 8/10 with a rebuilding year or two thrown in.

Second, speaking for myself and most IU fans I've ever interacted with since Knight was let go, we're NOT looking to duplicate the Knight on-court success. We HAVE let go of that. I don't think Davis, Sampson, Crean, and now Miller were let go because they didn't win three titles. That's absurd, and insultingly simplistic. What I will say is, *because* of the tradition established before and enhanced by Knight, there is an expectation to at least be in the conversation of teams threatening to contend in any given year. Why should that not be a reasonable expectation for any program that has won multiple titles over multiple decades? You know what isn't reasonable? Finishing in the bottom half of the conference and sweating out Selection Sundays over the past several seasons. Most of us just want a consistent winner, and to re-establish the program with the other historic ones that are currently there. That would make me satisfied.
Rupp is getting a nice remodel!

no on belien. never liked his style of play. all the other are fine.

I've never really gotten this argument.

I mean, I get that you'd prefer to see a brand of basketball that suits your own tastes. But, to me, that falls down the list quite a bit from simply winning. I'd take a Pete Carril disciple here, as long as they could make our team successful. How he'd go about doing that isn't all that big of a concern for me.

We don't need some old man if we are looking to build for the future

I don’t understand this line of thinking at all. IU needs to win NOW, not be worried about 10-15 years down the road. John Beilein over the last decade has proven to be one of the top college basketball coaches in the country. His resume is better than Drew’s and Musselman’s. Give Beilein a 5-7 year window and IU once again will be one of the top programs in the B10. It makes the job that much more attractive when he inevitably retires.

Never liked his style of play? What, good floor spacing, shooting, and efficient offense don't do it for you? Guy won 30 games two years ago and made the second weekend of the tournament in 6 out of his last 8 years at Michigan.
That same style of play almost won us a Natty in 02...

Today’s recruits have never seen Assembly rocking. It’s been SIX years since we’ve played a real meaningful game there. They would’ve been middle schoolers. Just because we know...they haven’t a clue.

Reactions: Sassy61
Assembly Hall is a very nice looking arena after its recent renovations. The south entrance plaza is beautiful.

I agree with Bozich’s source that the facilities are OK but not great despite being recently upgraded. I don’t know what more IU can do with them unless they build a new practice facility.

Reactions: BayernFan
Assembly Hall is a very nice looking arena after its recent renovations. The south entrance plaza is beautiful.

I agree with Bozich’s source that the facilities are OK but not great despite being recently upgraded. I don’t know what more IU can do with them unless they build a new practice facility.
Bozich is full of sh1t. The locker rooms and players lounges were all recently upgraded. They're opulent. That's what will impress an 18 year old kid, not the lobby.

Cook Hall is world class and where these players spend most of their time anyway. Recent updates to AH are cosmetic enough to recruits. Seating, sight lines, concession stands that need renovating are something fans care about, not 17-18 year old recruits. It’s still a phenomenal game day atmosphere, especially when Indiana is good.

I'm just not seeing Musselman. The other five, fine.

Somebody is going to have to sell me on Musselman. I just don't see an improvement from Crean and Miller.

Musselman has NBA experience, which sells to today's recruits.

He won 76.4% at Nevada, Followed by going 20-12 his first year at Arkansas and 22-6 this year.

His 2020 (first full cycle) recruiting class was 5th nationally. This year he is bringing in the 85th ranked player, 4th ranked and #1 PF JUCO prospect, and is a 6-7 SF transfer.

Excerpts from Wiki

Coaching Style:
On his blog, Musselman wrote about the importance of matching an offense to the "team's make up." Depending on the roster, a half-court offense might make more sense. In other cases, a team may be better suited for an "open offense." According to Musselman, the idea is to allow players to "play to their strengths."

As head coach of the Golden State Warriors, Musselman would often use "three-guard rotations to create mismatches and fast-break opportunities for his club."

According to former NBA coach Jeff Van Gundy, Musselman is "as competitive of a guy as I've ever coached against. He's a brilliant offensive mind."

According to University of Kentucky head coach John Calipari, "Eric is one of the best in our sport. Extremely driven and knowledgeable. I've watched and coached against him in the NBA and FIBA games. He has an uncanny feel for the game, and ability to read where the game is at. More importantly, is his ability to motivate and teach his players what it takes to improve and win. He is as good as it gets."

Developing Players:
In an August 2011 interview on NBA.com, Musselman said that, as a coach, "you have to continually figure out a way to get your players better." According to Gerald Green, who played for Musselman with the D-League's Los Angeles D-Fenders in 2012, Musselman "did a hell of a job really motivating me, really pushing me every day in practice when I was with L.A. I have to give him credit [for improving my game]." Green said that Musselman "rode me about staying focused. Don’t take even a second off of any play. Don’t take any plays off. Don’t take practice for granted."

Like Green, Jeremy Lin has also credited Musselman with aiding his development. In February 2012, Lin said that when he played for Musselman in the D-League, "he gave me the opportunity to play through mistakes."

Kevin Martin (basketball), who played for Musselman with the Sacramento Kings in 2006–07, told NBA.com that Musselman helped him learn how to draw more fouls. According to Martin, Musselman "saw how teams were playing me and how they got up into me and told me to start absorbing that contact. He said I could score a lot more points in this league if I got to the free throw line. He put an emphasis on me night in night out with that part of the game. He was always pounding it into me and it paid off."

In a May 9, 2013, article by CBSSports.com college basketball writer Gary Parrish, Arizona State guard Jahii Carson credited Musselman with helping him develop as a player. "Coach Muss is a great guy with a lot of knowledge because he's coached a lot of great players", said Carson. "He's given me a lot of great advice … about what NBA people are looking for, about how NBA guys don't take days off, how they're always in the gym doing conditioning or something, always trying to better their games. A guy like me? I didn't know anything like that having never been around the NBA game. So, he's somebody who has helped me."

During the 2013–14 season, Musselman worked with Arizona State center Jordan Bachynski, helping the 7-foot-2 senior with his footwork. After the season, Bachynski earned Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year honors.

Move to College Ranks:
In October 2007, ESPN reported that Musselman had a desire to coach at the collegiate level. According to Andy Katz, senior college basketball writer for ESPN.com, "Musselman wants to coach in college and is starting the process of getting his name out among search committees so that he's a viable candidate in March." In late December 2007, FOX Sports reported that Musselman was a likely candidate to replace 71-year-old Eddie Sutton at the University of San Francisco after this season. In January 2008, his name surfaced in press reports surrounding the head coaching position at Oregon State. In March 2008, Musselman's name surfaced in published reports about the California and Loyola Marymount head coaching positions.

On August 30, 2012, Andy Katz reported on ESPN.com's College Basketball Nation Blog that Arizona State University was in talks to hire Musselman as an assistant coach on Herb Sendek's staff. On September 2, 2012, Katz confirmed Musselman's hiring, describing it as a "bold move" and a "coup" for Sendek.

Former NBA coach Jeff Van Gundy predicted that Musselman will be an excellent recruiter "because of his competitive nature and what he has to sell. This is a guy who can tell kids exactly what it takes to play in the NBA."

Fifteen games into Arizona State's 2012–13 season, ESPN's Andy Katz wrote that "It's hard to ignore the difference [guard Jahii] Carson and assistant coach Eric Musselman are making at Arizona State." According to Katz, "The Sun Devils were painful to watch last season. Now, ASU has multiple options and while it still grinds out wins..." On January 9, 2013, ESPN's Jason King wrote that "adding former NBA head coach Eric Musselman...to his staff has also been a huge plus for Sendek and his players." Quoted in King's story, Arizona State center Jordan Bachynski said, "When [Musselman and Greer] speak, guys listen, just because they have that credibility from being in the league. The way they approach the game … it's no BS. They say, 'This is how it's done. If you don't like it, you're not going to play.'"

Last edited:
Reactions: Columbus-Boiler
If I remember that Gibson Southern team played essentially a Princeton style offense.

they would just bore you to death and hold the ball at the top of the key forever and then run some funky set and drill a 3 outta nowhere. Their student section was also hilarious in their chants

Mike Boynton if IU can afford and convince him. Except possibly for Musselman and Motta, those 6 look to me not to be available for an IU hiring.

In four years at OK State, finished T6th, 9th, T7th & 6th in a 10 team B12.

Rupp Arena may not be the prettiest place but that Wildcat Lodge (or whatever it’s called) where the players live is something else entirely.

I'm not sold on Beard, he's not proven to be a strong recruiter outside the transfer market.
You’re probably right but it looks like the transfer rules have been relaxed and it will play a huge role in recruiting moving forward

Musselman has NBA experience, which sells to today's recruits.

He won 76.4% at Nevada, Followed by going 20-12 his first year at Arkansas and 22-6 this year.

His 2020 (first full cycle) recruiting class was 5th nationally. This year he is bringing in the 85th ranked player, 4th ranked and #1 PF JUCO prospect, and is a 6-7 SF transfer.

Excerpts from Wiki

Coaching Style:
On his blog, Musselman wrote about the importance of matching an offense to the "team's make up." Depending on the roster, a half-court offense might make more sense. In other cases, a team may be better suited for an "open offense." According to Musselman, the idea is to allow players to "play to their strengths."

As head coach of the Golden State Warriors, Musselman would often use "three-guard rotations to create mismatches and fast-break opportunities for his club."

According to former NBA coach Jeff Van Gundy, Musselman is "as competitive of a guy as I've ever coached against. He's a brilliant offensive mind."

According to University of Kentucky head coach John Calipari, "Eric is one of the best in our sport. Extremely driven and knowledgeable. I've watched and coached against him in the NBA and FIBA games. He has an uncanny feel for the game, and ability to read where the game is at. More importantly, is his ability to motivate and teach his players what it takes to improve and win. He is as good as it gets."

Developing Players:
In an August 2011 interview on NBA.com, Musselman said that, as a coach, "you have to continually figure out a way to get your players better." According to Gerald Green, who played for Musselman with the D-League's Los Angeles D-Fenders in 2012, Musselman "did a hell of a job really motivating me, really pushing me every day in practice when I was with L.A. I have to give him credit [for improving my game]." Green said that Musselman "rode me about staying focused. Don’t take even a second off of any play. Don’t take any plays off. Don’t take practice for granted."

Like Green, Jeremy Lin has also credited Musselman with aiding his development. In February 2012, Lin said that when he played for Musselman in the D-League, "he gave me the opportunity to play through mistakes."

Kevin Martin (basketball), who played for Musselman with the Sacramento Kings in 2006–07, told NBA.com that Musselman helped him learn how to draw more fouls. According to Martin, Musselman "saw how teams were playing me and how they got up into me and told me to start absorbing that contact. He said I could score a lot more points in this league if I got to the free throw line. He put an emphasis on me night in night out with that part of the game. He was always pounding it into me and it paid off."

In a May 9, 2013, article by CBSSports.com college basketball writer Gary Parrish, Arizona State guard Jahii Carson credited Musselman with helping him develop as a player. "Coach Muss is a great guy with a lot of knowledge because he's coached a lot of great players", said Carson. "He's given me a lot of great advice … about what NBA people are looking for, about how NBA guys don't take days off, how they're always in the gym doing conditioning or something, always trying to better their games. A guy like me? I didn't know anything like that having never been around the NBA game. So, he's somebody who has helped me."

During the 2013–14 season, Musselman worked with Arizona State center Jordan Bachynski, helping the 7-foot-2 senior with his footwork. After the season, Bachynski earned Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year honors.[45]

Move to College Ranks:
In October 2007, ESPN reported that Musselman had a desire to coach at the collegiate level. According to Andy Katz, senior college basketball writer for ESPN.com, "Musselman wants to coach in college and is starting the process of getting his name out among search committees so that he's a viable candidate in March." In late December 2007, FOX Sports reported that Musselman was a likely candidate to replace 71-year-old Eddie Sutton at the University of San Francisco after this season. In January 2008, his name surfaced in press reports surrounding the head coaching position at Oregon State. In March 2008, Musselman's name surfaced in published reports about the California and Loyola Marymount head coaching positions.

On August 30, 2012, Andy Katz reported on ESPN.com's College Basketball Nation Blog that Arizona State University was in talks to hire Musselman as an assistant coach on Herb Sendek's staff.[50] On September 2, 2012, Katz confirmed Musselman's hiring, describing it as a "bold move" and a "coup" for Sendek.[51]

Former NBA coach Jeff Van Gundy predicted that Musselman will be an excellent recruiter "because of his competitive nature and what he has to sell. This is a guy who can tell kids exactly what it takes to play in the NBA."[52]

Fifteen games into Arizona State's 2012–13 season, ESPN's Andy Katz wrote that "It's hard to ignore the difference [guard Jahii] Carson and assistant coach Eric Musselman are making at Arizona State." According to Katz, "The Sun Devils were painful to watch last season. Now, ASU has multiple options and while it still grinds out wins..."[53] On January 9, 2013, ESPN's Jason King wrote that "adding former NBA head coach Eric Musselman...to his staff has also been a huge plus for Sendek and his players." Quoted in King's story, Arizona State center Jordan Bachynski said, "When [Musselman and Greer] speak, guys listen, just because they have that credibility from being in the league. The way they approach the game … it's no BS. They say, 'This is how it's done. If you don't like it, you're not going to play.'"[54]

Playing devil's advocate--

Is 5'7" 150lbs....just saying, he's shorter than Little Archie by 2".

Only coached 3 years total in NBA. Got canned after 2nd year & 1st year, respectively. That said, he was 2nd in C of Y balloting in his 1st year at GS. Also was C of Y in D League NBA and won something like 69% of his games in the CBA.

Had an OWI in 2006(?)....may have lead to his 2nd NBA firing. Said by others not to be an issue.

Looks fairly unhealthy and old for 56, esp when compared to his knockout wife who appears to be 25 or so.

His father was a very good coach. but half-crazy, and involved in the legendary OSU-Minnesota brawl in the '70s.

I'm not sold on Beard, he's not proven to be a strong recruiter outside the transfer market.
Look at this year's roster. Ok look at last year's roster. Several freshmen play significant rolls at TT. One starts regularly. You should be "sold" on Beard - to the extent it matters. The basketball minds of America are completely sold on him, Look at him - its RMK 30 years ago.

Two sources that I talked to Monday said the top-six targets were Texas Tech coach Chris Beard; Scott Drew of Baylor; former Michigan coach John Beilein; former Ohio State coach Thad Matta; Eric Musselman of Arkansas and Boston Celtics coach Brad Stevens.

“The word is they’re going to move quickly,” one source said.

“They must have a guy who is their home run hire to do what they did today,” another college basketball source said.

I asked the two sources to outline what they perceived to be the strengths as well as the challenges of the IU job.

Strengths: tradition and engaged fan base; game-day atmosphere; solid recruiting base and the willingness to spend on the basketball program.

Challenges: Unrealistic expectations to repeat the on-court success of Knight, who won three national titles and at least a share of eight Big Ten championships during his first 16 seasons.

“They have to let that go,” the source said. “It’s a different landscape out there.”

The sources said that Indiana’s facilities — Assembly Hall for games; Cook Hall for practice — were certainly good enough to win but not the best in college basketball.

unless his source is Scott Dolson himself that’s not the list.

ADVERTISEMENT