ADVERTISEMENT

Unpaid Student Athletes Saved by GOP SCOTUS

That's my exact point..... more rules and regulations. For what purpose? There is no purpose whatsoever for any regulation of money flowing. Unless it's to keep the money away from the players and in the institution's control.

Athletic scholarships are funded by the athletic dept.... which raises its funding from the fanbase. Marvin mentioned above that an athletic scholarship is taking a 'spot' from someone else in school. Bullshit. There aren't enough athletes that move the needle.

Why and how should anyone be worried about how TJD makes money deals on his own apart from that? The only negotiable thing is really does the school allow the player to use their brand in those marketing deals.... and any school would be stupid not to allow it (while taking their taste, if need be).

I don't see any title IX implications from NIL.... But maybe I'm naive. NIL are not school resources.... though they've become such under these basterdized rules.

Few D1 programs are profitable. What’s more while Texas brings in $200,000,000 some operate on 5 million and are scraping dough together to fully fund schollys. Some schools don’t even have the resources to fully fund.

As for title ix you may be 100 percent correct, but in this gender equity environ I wouldn’t be surprised to see countless scenarios invoke same.

Schools have to offer equitable treatment of M and F student athletes as to participation, aid, equipment, travel, facilities, recruitment, PUBLICITY. So a car dealership with the school’s knowledge offers a sponsorship to a Star QB recruit - wouldnt the school have to actively try to promote/procure something similar for a female volleyball player. One of countless examples. And even if the funds are from third parties you have to assume there will still be ncaa compliance requirements and comparisons to opps for womens’ sports.

Again I’m not against nil. At all. I just think there are going to be issues arise. I know what it’s like to be poor in college. We had kids on our team that were literally escaping the war in yugo. They’d work at the cafeteria so they had meals and a second job at the laundromat where they studied. It was rough. These foreign players had nothing. From all over. A scholarship that covers the ACTUAL cost of college satisfies that issue for all players. At Tenn they get full rides, room and board, and 5k a semester. Problem solved.

Last edited:
Few D1 programs are profitable. What’s more while Texas brings in $200,000,000 some operate on 5 million and are scraping dough together to fully fund schollys. Some schools don’t even have the resources to fully fund.

As for title ix you may be 100 percent correct, but in this gender equity environ I wouldn’t be surprised to see countless scenarios invoke same.

Schools have to offer equitable treatment of M and F student athletes as to participation, aid, equipment, travel, facilities, recruitment, PUBLICITY. So a car dealership with the school’s knowledge offers a sponsorship to a Star QB recruit - wouldnt the school have to actively try to promote/procure something similar for a female volleyball player. One of countless examples. And even if the funds are from third parties you have to assume there will still be ncaa compliance requirements and comparisons to opps for womens’ sports.

Again I’m not against nil. At all. I just think there are going to be issues arise

Honestly don't even understand what this discussion is about then. The money for the elite/famous athlete is gonna be in NIL. That's all.

The school's role in this will be ancillary, at most. Let them hire agents, do commercials, sell autographs, whatever. This isn't hard or complicated. The school doesn't even have to be involved. Somehow every other adult in this economy manages to do this.....

Argument is moot anyway. This is what is happening.

Reactions: DANC
Honestly don't even understand what this discussion is about then. The money for the elite/famous athlete is gonna be in NIL. That's all.

The school's role in this will be ancillary, at most. Let them hire agents, do commercials, sell autographs, whatever. This isn't hard or complicated. The school doesn't even have to be involved.
And I think that’s key. It’ll be like calipari with boosters. The school will have to claim no knowledge. Anyway that’s my totally uniformed take.

And I think that’s key. It’ll be like calipari with boosters. The school will have to claim no knowledge. Anyway that’s my totally uniformed take.

Why would the school be involved?

This is a business transaction. You play for my school I give you this platform. Along with free tuition, etc. (Which is exactly what happens with my varsity club $$)

What you do beyond that is your business.

The romanticized idea of amateurism, in general, needs to die. Across all sports.

Tile IX is bullshit anyway....basically provides a lot of athletic scholarships to wealthy white families that can have their kids specialize in obscure and very expensive sports. Rowing scholarships, etc....

Last edited:

This is a business transaction. You play for my school I give you this platform. Along with free tuition, etc. (Which is exactly what happens with my varsity club $$)

The romanticized idea of amateurism, in general, needs to die. Across all sports.

Tile IX is bullshit anyway....basically provides a lot of athletic scholarships to wealthy white families that can have their kids specialize in obscure and very expensive sports. Rowing scholarships, etc....
No my friend. This isn’t that simple. States are enacting laws to govern this shit. GA allows the schools to require student athletes share up to 75 percent of the NIL rev generated and received by each athlete. The funds would be held in escrow and controlled by the school’s AD.

States are enacting laws to govern this shit and schools will be involved

I agree re title ix but in our current climate I see it as an issue

NBA fan. Figures.

My Red Sox sent the Rays to their 7th straight loss in 11 innings and are now back in first.

Even you can't ruin my mojo.
BoSox are my AL team, though I shall always be a Reds fan, first and foremost

Tile IX is bullshit anyway....basically provides a lot of athletic scholarships to wealthy white families that can have their kids specialize in obscure and very expensive sports. Rowing scholarships, etc

what will happen to women’s athletics?

No my friend. This isn’t that simple. States are enacting laws to govern this shit. GA allows the schools to require student athletes share up to 75 percent of the NIL rev generated and received by each athlete. The funds would be held in escrow and controlled by the school’s AD.

States are enacting laws to govern this shit and schools will be involved

I agree re title ix but in our current climate I see it as an issue

I'd have to look at that specific language... and yes you've got states that are going to be all over the place. Part of this deals with you have state schools and the use of their brand and image.

But it's not like we don't have plenty of framework from the pro leagues as to how these deals can work.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

The school's role in this will be ancillary, at most. Let them hire agents, do commercials, sell autographs, whatever. This isn't hard or complicated. The school doesn't even have to be involved. Somehow every other adult in this economy manages to do this.....

Argument is moot anyway. This is what is happening.
“The school doesn’t have to be involved” - every state I’ve quickly glanced at requires NIL approval from the school prior to contracting. Some have Vice provisions etc

I assumed you were suggesting to get rid of Title IX

No I'm not... just saying that the Title IX argument is rather weak when it comes to challenging the coming changes.

In many ways I rather dislike athletic scholarships. It's turned sports into hunger games for kids and their horrible parents

Reactions: larsIU
“The school doesn’t have to be involved” - every state I’ve quickly glanced at requires NIL approval from the school prior to contracting. Some have Vice provisions etc

Not surprised.... like anything they won't go 100% from the start. But once the dam is broken.... how long until FL or AL decides well, let's just let our players even more leeway.... trying to get an upper hand. SEC football will drive everything

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Not surprised.... like anything they won't go 100% from the start. But once the dam is broken.... how long until FL or AL decides well, let's just let our players even more leeway.... trying to get an upper hand. SEC football will drive everything
For sure

An athletic scholarship student isn't taking a spot from anyone. What are you basing that upon?
There are people turned down every year by universities. If a Duke turns down someone with better scores than the point guard, what do you call it?

There are two issues. NIL is the old one, the new one is this recent case on what schools can provide. Schools now have no real limits on what they can provide academically. Maybe not bad but it comes with costs. Unless it grows the pie, and I do not see how, that money comes from somewhere. Assuming athletic department accounting books are accurate, very few make money. If they promise the QB a future Masters degree, that money is coming from somewhere.

If the rest of the world finds club sports works I don't understand why we cling to some bizarre marriage of education and big money athletics.

There are two issues. NIL is the old one, the new one is this recent case on what schools can provide. Schools now have no real limits on what they can provide academically. Maybe not bad but it comes with costs. Unless it grows the pie, and I do not see how, that money comes from somewhere. Assuming athletic department accounting books are accurate, very few make money. If they promise the QB a future Masters degree, that money is coming from somewhere.

If the rest of the world finds club sports works I don't understand why we cling to some bizarre marriage of education and big money athletics.
College football is woven into the college experience/culture

The Yankees want you and DANC to cheer for them.

Fun fact: The Sox are community leaders in promoting diversity, inclusion, and women's health (including support for Planned Parenthood).

But I thought Boston was a racist town?

Here is another fun fact, you are still an idiot.

College football is woven into the college experience/culture

I am sure something would replace big-time football. Maybe club sport football. I am not sure that universities need serve as the minor leagues for professional sports in America. I am not sure the football coach at a school should make $5 million per year while the top cancer researcher makes $275,000.

We've seen corporate America develop an attitude that they have a main mission, so they build their widgets byt outsource everything like IT because IT isn't part of the widget building mission. Is the main mission of a university to provide athletic entertainment or an education?

I am sure something would replace big-time football. Maybe club sport football. I am not sure that universities need serve as the minor leagues for professional sports in America. I am not sure the football coach at a school should make $5 million per year while the top cancer researcher makes $275,000.

We've seen corporate America develop an attitude that they have a main mission, so they build their widgets byt outsource everything like IT because IT isn't part of the widget building mission. Is the main mission of a university to provide athletic entertainment or an education?
True but are they not providing a means for lesser athletes to get a degree and the top ones a good job right out of school vs useless degrees?

You obviously didn’t go to college in the south....

I agree with you tho marv but there’s no going back. It’s part of our culture

But I thought Boston was a racist town?
There are blue collar pockets where it is still bad, but the area changed dramatically from the 60s and 70s to today. Cambridge / North End / Beacon Hill /Chestnut Hill / Brookline are all like an East Coast San Francisco now.

When I lived there 1995-2005, I did volunteer charity work and the Sox were very generous and progressive in the community. Not to the level of the Patriots, who may be unmatched in all of the sporting universe in that regard, but they were very helpful. I helped organize an annual silent auction and the Sox, Bruins, Celtics and Patriots would all send boxes of stuff. The Patriots woud also send players! It helps your silent auction about 100-fold when it is known that one or more guys among Bruschi, Brady, Vinatieri, Ty Law, etc. is going to be there to autograph any item you buy.

You obviously didn’t go to college in the south....

I agree with you tho marv but there’s no going back. It’s part of our culture
I think that bubble will deflate if not burst. Big time NCAA sports is built on TV money. TV money rests on fans, ratings, and advertising revenue. It seems to me ratings are declining and alums today are not as rah rah as in years past.

This from the "econ major" who thought there was 4% inflation in one month. Please return to humping your pig.
I guess you don't understand an increase from one year, or month, to the next, is considered inflation

Poor little moron

"Tile IX is bullshit anyway..." Why do you hate women's sports?

The Yankees want you and DANC to cheer for them.

Fun fact: The Sox are community leaders in promoting diversity, inclusion, and women's health (including support for Planned Parenthood).
It's possible to agree with the goals and not the methods.

People need to listen to the Hoosier hysterics podcast that they did with the open door CEO on this very topic.

He explained this in detail pretty well I thought.

What I found interesting is that he thinks the biggest money makers from this won't necessarily be the big time athletes that we see every week on TV. He points out there is a gymnast (from where escapes me) but she has over 5 million I believe tic toc followers. When she can monetize that, that will be a lot of money. Or a pair of sisters out in Cali that I believe that play softball that have something like 2-3 million followers on Twitter. Say a business owner gives both of them 10 grand to send a tweet out once a month, that's 120 k for 12 tweets a year from once source that over 2 million followers will see and could potentially retweet.

There are suppose to be limitations to what can be done. Joe off the street can't just walk up to TJD and hand him 5 grand just because he wants to. That would still be a violation.

Teams and kids will of course live in Grey areas. It's college sports. But at least the kids now feel like they have a say in how they're being portrayed with their likeness out there and can be compensated for it.

This won't be the end of college athletics. If anything, this is college athletics finally evolving a bit.

It's possible to agree with the goals and not the methods.
"[Sox owner John] Henry’s track record indicates he’s a fervent Democrat, though it’s worth mentioning he tweeted his support last month for former New York City mayor and Wall Street titan Michael Bloomberg to launch a third party presidential campaign.

Henry’s political activism over the last decade pales in comparison to former Red Sox CEO Larry Lucchino, who’s stumped for Hillary Clinton on various occasions. Lucchino has also donated to Obama, Sen. Elizabeth Warren, and Rep. Joe Kennedy III over the years."

That's your team!

Reactions: Maximus Carter
People need to listen to the Hoosier hysterics podcast that they did with the open door CEO on this very topic.

What I found interesting is that he thinks the biggest money makers from this won't necessarily be the big time athletes that we see every week on TV. He points out there is a gymnast (from where escapes me) but she has over 5 million I believe tic toc followers. When she can monetize that, that will be a lot of money. Or a pair of sisters out in Cali that I believe that play softball that have something like 2-3 million followers on Twitter. Say a business owner gives both of them 10 grand to send a tweet out once a month, that's 120 k for 12 tweets a year from once source that over 2 million followers will see and could potentially retweet.

There are suppose to be limitations to what can be done. Joe off the street can't just walk up to TJD and hand him 5 grand just because he wants to. That would still be a violation.

Teams and kids will of course live in Grey areas. It's college sports. But at least the kids now feel like they have a say in how they're being portrayed with their likeness out there and can be compensated for it.

This won't be the end of college athletics. If anything, this is college athletics finally evolving a bit.
I think players having nil is great and have supported it. But the more recent ruling was on the caps the NCAA has on what is permissable academic aid. If universities are free to provide ever increasing benefits to attract, they will. Look at the spiraling costs of coaches and facilities. That money has to come from somewhere. If the star QB demands a future Masters if his football career fails (or to sell on ebay), that money probably is coming from another sport.

But players deserve the right to sell their name, image, likeness.

That's the part I don't understand. If athletes are supposed to be treated like other students, then they should be allowed to make money however they want.

I can see whatever rules set up being challenged in court.

I think the NCAA should have a rule that says if you market yourself, you forfeit your scholarship because you can pay the tuition, housing, and training expenses yourself. Just like other students do.

"[Sox owner John] Henry’s track record indicates he’s a fervent Democrat, though it’s worth mentioning he tweeted his support last month for former New York City mayor and Wall Street titan Michael Bloomberg to launch a third party presidential campaign.

Henry’s political activism over the last decade pales in comparison to former Red Sox CEO Larry Lucchino, who’s stumped for Hillary Clinton on various occasions. Lucchino has also donated to Obama, Sen. Elizabeth Warren, and Rep. Joe Kennedy III over the years."

That's your team!

Yes, I realize all this. Fortunately, I don't require anyone to pass an ideological test like the Left does.

There are blue collar pockets where it is still bad, but the area changed dramatically from the 60s and 70s to today. Cambridge / North End / Beacon Hill /Chestnut Hill / Brookline are all like an East Coast San Francisco now.

When I lived there 1995-2005, I did volunteer charity work and the Sox were very generous and progressive in the community. Not to the level of the Patriots, who may be unmatched in all of the sporting universe in that regard, but they were very helpful. I helped organize an annual silent auction and the Sox, Bruins, Celtics and Patriots would all send boxes of stuff. The Patriots woud also send players! It helps your silent auction about 100-fold when it is known that one or more guys among Bruschi, Brady, Vinatieri, Ty Law, etc. is going to be there to autograph any item you buy.
There are "blue-collar" racists behind every tree.

That's your team!

I absolutely support it. Are all D1 programs really profitable and some schools do not even have the funds to fully fund them? I am currently in college and I understand that there are some financial difficulties. I like a lot of subjects, but I have some problems learning new languages. I am now having difficulty completing my French homework. I turn to the service https://assignmentbro.com/ca/french-homework-help for help, which professionally helps me with my homework. The experts who work on this service are quite professional, they wrote my essay in French and it was pretty good.

Last edited:
Reactions: outside shooter
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT