ADVERTISEMENT

Unpaid Student Athletes Saved by GOP SCOTUS

MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
Duckburg
Unpaid.

Brett Kavanaugh calls full tuition, housing, meals, health care, tutoring, books, laundry, spending money and all the free sex you can stir up ... "unpaid."

Who put that doofus on the Court?

"Come on down to Joe's Rides - where the Wildcats get their wheels! Even the managers drive a Joe's Ride! So bring your name, image AND likeness on downtown NOW - before the folks wise up! ("I don't want to make money - I just loooove cars.")

• Wow
Reactions: DANC
So, if I'm reading this right (probably not) the student athlete will most likely be allowed to profit individually from their name/likeness and that cannot be restricted by the NCAA.

Lids off on boosters. Wonder what the going rate of a 5* QB or Top 20 BBall player's "likeness" is going to be.

This is the final nail for amateurism.

The talent gap between the haves and the have nots, the profitable vs. not profitable athletic programs, is about to get much much larger.

Has IU football improved enough to put IU up there with the "haves"?

The talent gap between the haves and the have nots, the profitable vs. not profitable athletic programs, is about to get much much larger.

Has IU football improved enough to put IU up there with the "haves"?
Dude, how much will Notre Dame "boosters" spend.

Dude, how much will Notre Dame "boosters" spend.
They are definitely amongst the "haves". I don't know if IU is there or not. Leaving it just to basketball, IU would be, but big time football income usually far outpaces big time basketball income.

They are definitely amongst the "haves". I don't know if IU is there or not. Leaving it just to basketball, IU would be, but big time football income usually far outpaces big time basketball income.
Gotta get more butts in seats then IU. This whole thing is going to be a mess depending on how it moves forward. Hope it doesn't rob even more scholarship dollars from the non-revenue producing sports.

Gotta get more butts in seats then IU. This whole thing is going to be a mess depending on how it moves forward. Hope it doesn't rob even more scholarship dollars from the non-revenue producing sports.
many of hte left-handed sports already struggle. D1 soccer has 9.9 schollys max

Unpaid.

Brett Kavanaugh calls full tuition, housing, meals, health care, tutoring, books, laundry, spending money and all the free sex you can stir up ... "unpaid."

Who put that doofus on the Court?

"Come on down to Joe's Rides - where the Wildcats get their wheels! Even the managers drive a Joe's Ride! So bring your name, image AND likeness on downtown NOW - before the folks wise up! ("I don't want to make money - I just loooove cars.")
One thing the woke crowd did by hammering Kavanaugh was cowing the Conservatives into voting liberal so they can't be accused of being..... Conservative, I guess.

To say that college athletes today are not getting paid is a joke.

The Golden Goose just died.

So, if I'm reading this right (probably not) the student athlete will most likely be allowed to profit individually from their name/likeness and that cannot be restricted by the NCAA.

Lids off on boosters. Wonder what the going rate of a 5* QB or Top 20 BBall player's "likeness" is going to be.

This is the final nail for amateurism.
Benefits must be education-related. "Hey Jason, you're gonna need a car to get to class. Lookie here at this Corvette we've got for you, and already painted in our team colors."

Benefits must be education-related. "Hey Jason, you're gonna need a car to get to class. Lookie here at this Corvette we've got for you, and already painted in our team colors."
but the name/image/likeness stuff. If they take the cap off of that couldn't the players basically sell signed pics of themselves for like $100 each

Reactions: DANC
The Court's ruling is pretty narrow (only pertains to "educational benefits") and acknowledges that the NCAA can still put reasonable limits on payments to athletes. This is not suddenly a free-for-all where players are going to become millionaires before they leave college.

Reactions: larsIU
but the name/image/likeness stuff. If they take the cap off of that couldn't the players basically sell signed pics of themselves for like $100 each
I don't see why they couldn't sell their pics. But that's trivial. The overwhelming impact will be on recruiting. It's going to become a bidders' war for the top recruits, duh "edukatshunul bennafits".

Reactions: larsIU and DANC
The Court's ruling is pretty narrow (only pertains to "educational benefits") and acknowledges that the NCAA can still put reasonable limits on payments to athletes. This is not suddenly a free-for-all where players are going to become millionaires before they leave college.
Kavanaugh invited them to sue for compensation.

There's got to be a middle ground between the plantation and free agency. Congress could grant the NCAA an exemption from antitrust, but the devil would be in the details.

Justice Gorsuch shows once again that he is the rockstar on The Court.

He opened with a informative and concise history of college sports, money, and the NCAA. This is section IA of the opinion and I highly recommend it as an interesting history of how college sports arrived at its present condition.

He follows with pages of legal mumbo jumbo that only an anti-trust academic can enjoy as he discusses markets, regulation, and the NCAA arguments before SCOTUS.

Gorsuch concludes with what I consider to be an astounding comment by a jurist and is rare in today's world. Gorsuch simply says the court doesn't have all the answers to these complicated issues as he affirms the trial court. Every judge in America needs to read and understand what Gorsuch wrote:

When it comes to fashioning an antitrust remedy, we acknowledge that caution is key. Judges must resist the temptation to require that enterprises employ the least re- strictive means of achieving their legitimate business objec- tives. Judges must be mindful, too, of their limitations—as generalists, as lawyers, and as outsiders trying to under- stand intricate business relationships. Judges must re- main aware that markets are often more effective than the heavy hand of judicial power when it comes to enhancing consumer welfare. And judges must be open to clarifying and reconsidering their decrees in light of changing market realities. Courts reviewing complex business arrange- ments should, in other words, be wary about invitations to “set sail on a sea of doubt.” United States v. Addyston Pipe & Steel Co., 85 F. 271, 284 (CA6 1898) (Taft, J.). But we do not believe the district court fell prey to that temptation. Its judgment does not float on a sea of doubt but stands on firm ground—an exhaustive factual record, a thoughtful le- gal analysis consistent with established antitrust princi- ples, and a healthy dose of judicial humility.​
Judicial humility! Imagine that. For 52 years I thought that such a concept was an oxymoron, especially for SCOTUS.

The biggest ramifications of this travesty is probably going to be......we're going to have to put names on the back of our uniforms.

GASP!!!!

I remember Jalen Rose being pissed when he didn't have enough money for a pizza but saw his jersey being sold for $40 in the bookstore.

Gotta think if kids can start selling jerseys, they need to have their names on the back. I mean that #11 could be Isaiah, Yogi, Davonte Green or..... Dakich.

Sure IU can say that the kid can't use the school's brand but, gotta think for recruiting names on the back just jumped up a thousand spots in priority.

I don't see why they couldn't sell their pics. But that's trivial. The overwhelming impact will be on recruiting. It's going to become a bidders' war for the top recruits, duh "edukatshunul bennafits".
UK will have the five highest paid part time Zeppelin spotters on the planet.

So IU Athletes could sell their photos or appear in ads but can they wear the IU gear in doing so? Where does that IP question come down?

The biggest ramifications of this travesty is probably going to be......we're going to have to put names on the back of our uniforms.

GASP!!!!

I remember Jalen Rose being pissed when he didn't have enough money for a pizza but saw his jersey being sold for $40 in the bookstore.

Gotta think if kids can start selling jerseys, they need to have their names on the back. I mean that #11 could be Isaiah, Yogi, Davonte Green or..... Dakich.

Sure IU can say that the kid can't use the school's brand but, gotta think for recruiting names on the back just jumped up a thousand spots in priority.
Isiah would likely want proof-reading rights . . .

Is this going to end the non-revenue sports? I see Kavanaugh mentioned that in his opinion, that the athletes can negotiate. But are football and basketball players really going to want to share the pie? How are schools going to balance the need for the 5 star QB who just happens to need a Porsche to get to class and Title IX?

Is this going to end the non-revenue sports? I see Kavanaugh mentioned that in his opinion, that the athletes can negotiate. But are football and basketball players really going to want to share the pie? How are schools going to balance the need for the 5 star QB who just happens to need a Porsche to get to class and Title IX?
The entire system needs revisiting

Last edited:
The entire rev vs nonrev title ix pneeds to be revisited/restructured
But how? Eliminate them? Move them to club sports? The schools that spend the most on MBB and football will, in all probability, win. The leftover pieces of the pie may not be enough to do anything but allow the volleyball players and swimmers to hitchhike to their away events.

And, to be fair, maybe it will all work out. Maybe the revenue athletes will want to share the pie.

But how? Eliminate them? Move them to club sports? The schools that spend the most on MBB and football will, in all probability, win. The leftover pieces of the pie may not be enough to do anything but allow the volleyball players and swimmers to hitchhike to their away events.

And, to be fair, maybe it will all work out. Maybe the revenue athletes will want to share the pie.
Yeah but there’s more to it Marv. It will become incumbent on schools to market their players. IX requires equitable treatment. So fla with their 100 mil operational rev for football starts marketing their five stars they’re going to have to market womens’ soccer too. Same treatment isn’t required but last I looked equitable treatment is required. It could be a real shit show. It’s the impact on non rev women’s sports that’s key. I think

Last edited:
Yeah but there’s more to it Marv. It will become incumbent on schools to market their players. IX requires equitable treatment. So fla with their 100 mil operational rev for football starts marketing their five stars they’re going to have to market womens’ soccer too. Same treatment isn’t required but last I looked equitable treatment is required. It could be a real shit show. It’s the impact on non rev women’s sports that’s key. I think

I wonder if this will be used as an excuse to eliminate IX. Courts have upheld it in the past, but now they will have a different question. The courts have ruled the QB has rights that conflict with IX so how do the courts prioritize them.

I wonder if this will be used as an excuse to eliminate IX. Courts have upheld it in the past, but now they will have a different question. The courts have ruled the QB has rights that conflict with IX so how do the courts prioritize them.
It’s a good question. The timing could be difficult with the current climate and gender pay equality etc. I wouldn’t want to be an AD in 2021. And lord knows by the time the ncaa sorts anything aliens will be living amongst us

It’s a good question. The timing could be difficult with the current climate and gender pay equality etc. I wouldn’t want to be an AD in 2021. And lord knows by the time the ncaa sorts anything aliens will be living amongst us
It seems the NCAA is counting on congress to pass something. I think everyone, left and right, can agree that's not at all a good plan.

The trial court, the 9 th circuit, and 8 SCOTUS judges all limited the ruling to furnishing educational benefits. That is pretty harmless in terms of a threat to how the NCAA does business. (FWIW, rhe NCAA was arrogant and stupid for taking the 9th Circuit to SCOTUS). I don’t think this case provides a platform from which worry about Title IX. That said, given today’s racial climate, I think the bigger concern is racism. The players big time college sports exploits are mostly black. Given the wokeness throughout academia, sports, and corporate sponsors, we haven’t seen the last of that problem.

The trial court, the 9 th circuit, and 8 SCOTUS judges all limited the ruling to furnishing educational benefits. That is pretty harmless in terms of a threat to how the NCAA does business. (FWIW, rhe NCAA was arrogant and stupid for taking the 9th Circuit to SCOTUS). I don’t think this case provides a platform from which worry about Title IX. That said, given today’s racial climate, I think the bigger concern is racism. The players big time college sports exploits are mostly black. Given the wokeness throughout academia, sports, and corporate sponsors, we haven’t seen the last of that problem.
Disagree Coh as educational benefits could be big bucks. Couple this with school marketing/nil gender disparity is inevitable and will certainly invoke ix issues.

Disagree Coh as educational benefits could be big bucks. Couple this with nil gender disparity is inevitable and will certainly invoke ix issues.
Right, b/c if you provide a $100,000 Porsche to your 5* QB as an "educational benefit" does title IX prescribe that one must necessarily do the same for the highly touted women's soccer recruit?

It seems the NCAA is counting on congress to pass something. I think everyone, left and right, can agree that's not at all a good plan.
Why not? Did you read Gorsuch’s history? I was surprised to see how much the federal government and Teddy Roosevelt were involved with money and college sports from the beginning. Im not a fan of more government regulation, but there could be a legislative answer to this whole issue.

Right, b/c if you provide a $100,000 Porsche to your 5* QB as an "educational benefit" does title IX prescribe that one must necessarily do the same for the highly touted women's soccer recruit?
It’s been a while since I knew about this stuff but my understanding isn’t same but similar. Maybe she gets a Camry

Justice is subjective, eh?

I’ve heard somebody say that before.

Disagree Coh as educational benefits could be big bucks. Couple this with school marketing/nil gender disparity is inevitable and will certainly invoke ix issues.
I agree. The unscrupulous institutions will figure out a way to morph educational benefits into unrelated player benefits. I can see big boosters donating a fleet of G Class SUV’s to a school so athletes can get to classes they don’t attend anyway. I don’t deny that there will be IX issues, but I think they are more manageable.

College sports are a mess. One size fits all is almost impossible. You have mid majors where the left handed sports are top 20 high majors. Independents. ND. Big time basketball schools that don’t play football. Conference crossovers. Kentucky and the u of South Carolina play soccer in conference USA. That happens all over the country with lacrosse and other sports. Some schools playing both FBS and Fcs. On and on

Reactions: CO. Hoosier
One thing the woke crowd did by hammering Kavanaugh was cowing the Conservatives into voting liberal so they can't be accused of being..... Conservative, I guess.

To say that college athletes today are not getting paid is a joke.

The Golden Goose just died.

Oh, so when you don't agree with a conservative justice, then they are just being liberal.

You're a hoot.

By the way, Brett wasn't accused for being conservative, he was accused of sexual assault, something that should be a disqualifier for the highest court in the land.

Athletes are definitely being paid, just mostly in free stuff like tuition and room and board.

The issue wasn't college athletes not being compensated but rather how excessive the compensation was getting for coaching salaries. Too bad that excess money didn't go towards lowering tuition for us joe schmoes.

• Haha
Reactions: bigmac76 and DANC
Frankly I think it is time to revisit our sports establishment and consider going to the model the rest of the world uses, club sports. Get the cost and everything away from high schools and colleges, let the clubs run everything. Tying big sports to education makes about as much sense as tying health insurance to employment.

Yes, i'm very interested to see who defines "educational benefit". The NCAA, Congress, or the courts.
Lol. Congress can’t even define “infrastructure,” It sure as hell can’t deal with something as complicated as this.

NCAA has the ball. Let’s see if it does something with it.

Frankly I think it is time to revisit our sports establishment and consider going to the model the rest of the world uses, club sports. Get the cost and everything away from high schools and colleges, let the clubs run everything. Tying big sports to education makes about as much sense as tying health insurance to employment.
I don’t understand. What do you mean. All sports? Left-handed sports?

Does this mean that Nike can sign college stars to shoe deals? Think of a kid like Zion Williamson at Duke a couple years ago. He could've raked it in with his name and the program recognition of Duke. His highlights on ESPN were probably shown before NBA highlights and I'm sure every kid wanted his jersey. The Fab Five comes to mind, too. They were a phenom of pop culture and evey kid around the country wanted to wear a Michigan jersey in the early 90's. And MIchigan was a football school, so I don't know if it matters as much for the superstar. Steph Curry played for Davidson, but was a household name in college. Perhaps the superstar kids will have a chance to make a lot of money, regardless of the school they attend.

ADVERTISEMENT