ADVERTISEMENT

Unpaid Student Athletes Saved by GOP SCOTUS

I don’t understand. What do you mean. All sports? Left-handed sports?
All sports. I get giving a scholarship to the straight A student. Why are we giving scholarships to a QB to study rec sports when the QB has a 2.1 GPA and doesn't care about rec sports in the least? They just can't go pro yet so they have to do something. Let the club sports pay them, feed them, house them, just like in Europe, Canada, South America.

Reactions: larsIU
Frankly I think it is time to revisit our sports establishment and consider going to the model the rest of the world uses, club sports. Get the cost and everything away from high schools and colleges, let the clubs run everything. Tying big sports to education makes about as much sense as tying health insurance to employment.
The NCAA and college sports has a lot of problems, but I don’t think the concept athletic scholarships is one of them. I can think of a lot of reforms that would be helpful besides eliminating that.

Reactions: UncleMark
All sports. I get giving a scholarship to the straight A student. Why are we giving scholarships to a QB to study rec sports when the QB has a 2.1 GPA and doesn't care about rec sports in the least? They just can't go pro yet so they have to do something. Let the club sports pay them, feed them, house them, just like in Europe, Canada, South America.
What about scholarships to talented musicians or drama students?

The talent gap between the haves and the have nots, the profitable vs. not profitable athletic programs, is about to get much much larger.

Has IU football improved enough to put IU up there with the "haves"?

LOL, are you really that naive to ask such a stupid question?

Lol. Congress can’t even define “infrastructure,” It sure as hell can’t deal with something as complicated as this.

NCAA has the ball. Let’s see if it does something with it.
The NCAA is just an entity that is (arguably) created and controlled by the schools and the school Presidents, and just implements the rules and policies they are handed. So ....

The revenue must now be reallocated to be perceived to be more fair.

No reason research assistants in programs funded by Eli Lilly can’t use the same principles to get bigger pay. Then, research assistants in other areas that don’t get Lilly money. And so on. The Kinsey Institute just “won” too.

Wealth will be re-distributed to labor.

What about scholarships to talented musicians or drama students?
At this moment, those are more aligned with a school's mission. That could change. A talented opera singer actually gets their degree in music. A talented football player gets their degree in criminal justice. So in far too many cases the athlete us taking spots from the student*.

* There are legit student athletes. And they may we'll make enough from club sports to go to college if that is their dream. But for too many there is a disconnect in the hyphen between student-athlete. Maybe the talented opera singer is getting their papers written for them, special classes they cannot fail, etc.

Oh, so when you don't agree with a conservative justice, then they are just being liberal.

You're a hoot.

By the way, Brett wasn't accused for being conservative, he was accused of sexual assault, something that should be a disqualifier for the highest court in the land.

Athletes are definitely being paid, just mostly in free stuff like tuition and room and board.

The issue wasn't college athletes not being compensated but rather how excessive the compensation was getting for coaching salaries. Too bad that excess money didn't go towards lowering tuition for us joe schmoes.
Yeah, I'm sure "Brett" would have been accused of anything if he was a liberal.

Give. Me. A. Break.

He would have been an Al Franken
LOL There is actual film of Franken grabbing a girl's boobs while she's sleeping.

It's not from some person from 45 years ago who came up with a story not even her friends believe.

No one made Franken resign. He did it himself.

Big difference, and if you can't tell what that difference is, you should turn in your 4 chemistry degrees. :rolleyes:

At this moment, those are more aligned with a school's mission. That could change. A talented opera singer actually gets their degree in music. A talented football player gets their degree in criminal justice. So in far too many cases the athlete us taking spots from the student*.

* There are legit student athletes. And they may we'll make enough from club sports to go to college if that is their dream. But for too many there is a disconnect in the hyphen between student-athlete. Maybe the talented opera singer is getting their papers written for them, special classes they cannot fail, etc.
Giving academic credit for intercollegiate sports might be a reform that makes sense. There are a lot worse things that students earn credits for. Some places give credit for protesting. I believe many institutions will recruit and provide scholarship money for marching bands even if the student doesn’t otherwise study music.

Last edited:
First admit your comparison to Al Franken was bullshit.
Comparable does not mean equal. I can compare steak to hot dogs. It doesn't make them equal. I can compare my thoughts to yours. It doesn't makes yours sensible.

The point is that accusations of sexual misconduct are generally taken quite seriously these days (which is good), but cult figures seem to be an exception.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
I agree with your sentiment but I doubt this will ever happen. The schools don't want to lose that revenue and the voters care too much about their teams.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Comparable does not mean equal. I can compare steak to hot dogs. It doesn't make them equal. I can compare my thoughts to yours. It doesn't makes yours sensible.

The point is that accusations of sexual misconduct are generally taken quite seriously these days (which is good), but cult figures seem to be an exception.
Another non-answer by the king of hypocritical bullshit.

Reactions: Crayfish57
Another non-answer by the king of hypocritical bullshit.
I'm sorry that your comprehension skills are so substandard. Maybe you and your buddies Mas and Lucy can put your heads together, at your next Q rally, pool your gray matter, and together find a clue.

On second thought, that may be an addition of zero situation.

Oh, so when you don't agree with a conservative justice, then they are just being liberal.

You're a hoot.

By the way, Brett wasn't accused for being conservative, he was accused of sexual assault, something that should be a disqualifier for the highest court in the land.

Athletes are definitely being paid, just mostly in free stuff like tuition and room and board.

The issue wasn't college athletes not being compensated but rather how excessive the compensation was getting for coaching salaries. Too bad that excess money didn't go towards lowering tuition for us joe schmoes.
Being accused should be a disqualifier? Ridiculous.

Why are we giving scholarships to a QB to study rec sports when the QB has a 2.1 GPA and doesn't care about rec sports in the least? They just can't go pro yet so they have to do something.
Being the simpleton I am, I'm always looking for and sometimes coming up with simple solutions.

To me the most straightforward approach would be for Congress to step in and prohibit the NBA/NFL/MLB/NHL from preventing their teams from drafting anyone. Then the NCAA should be barred from being involved in an NCAA athlete's draft status -- no nonsense of having to "declare" for the draft or "withdrawing" from consideration. If a kid gets drafted, he either accepts or declines. Rinse and repeat each year.

This would eliminate the problem with players using the college game as a waystation, and at least put more emphasis on being a college (team) player rather than a semi-pro. It's not a cure-all, but would be a step in the right direction.

Being the simpleton I am, I'm always looking for and sometimes coming up with simple solutions.

To me the most straightforward approach would be for Congress to step in and prohibit the NBA/NFL/MLB/NHL from preventing their teams from drafting anyone. Then the NCAA should be barred from being involved in an NCAA athlete's draft status -- no nonsense of having to "declare" for the draft or "withdrawing" from consideration. If a kid gets drafted, he either accepts or declines. Rinse and repeat each year.

This would eliminate the problem with players using the college game as a waystation, and at least put more emphasis on being a college (team) player rather than a semi-pro. It's not a cure-all, but would be a step in the right direction.

I’m missing something. How would this put more emphasis on being a college player?

I’m missing something. How would this put more emphasis on being a college player?
Those who are good enough or have the potential to be pros would get drafted. No more one and done. And no more kids declaring and forfeiting eligibility only to be hung out to dry -- you get drafted or you don't and if you don't, there's always next year.

It doesn't eliminate the impact of pro ball on the college game, but it diminishes it to a certain extent. Going pro is now an opportunity given to the athlete, rather than an all-or-nothing decision on his part.

Those who are good enough or have the potential to be pros would get drafted. No more one and done. And no more kids declaring and forfeiting eligibility only to be hung out to dry -- you get drafted or you don't and if you don't, there's always next year.

It doesn't eliminate the impact of pro ball on the college game, but it diminishes it to a certain extent. Going pro is now an opportunity given to the athlete, rather than an all-or-nothing decision on his part.
I see. I can see that. And including marv’s take on athletes getting schollys when they’re really just using college as a platform I guess I don’t care or see it as that big of a deal. It’s such a tiny percentage that go pro. I haven’t given nil and the rest a ton of thought but i thought the true cost of college scholarships were a reasonable solution/compromise

I see. I can see that. And including marv’s take on athletes getting schollys when they’re really just using college as a platform I guess I don’t care or see it as that big of a deal. It’s such a tiny percentage that go pro. I haven’t given nil and the rest a ton of thought but i thought the true cost of college scholarships were a reasonable solution/compromise
NIL wouldn't have been a thing if the schools and the NCAA hadn't taken the kids' names, images, and likenesses and sold them for their own purposes and benefit while prohibiting -- and punishing -- athletes for the same. (See video game case with USC football player and IU's Steve Alford and the charity calendar.)

NIL wouldn't have been a thing if the schools and the NCAA hadn't taken the kids' names, images, and likenesses and sold them for their own purposes and benefit while prohibiting -- and punishing -- athletes for the same. (See video game case with USC football player and IU's Steve Alford and the charity calendar.)
Whatever happens from here on out will always be on the colleges. They printed money with these kids for decades.

I know. And I largely agree. But the college is providing the player the platform and paying him about $300,000 plus, more with the true cost of college schollys. I guess I can see both arguments. I think nil will just make college athletics more unseemly. Maybe the answer was to prohibit colleges from using the image, likeness etc. I don’t know

I know. And I largely agree. But the college is providing the player the platform and paying him about $300,000 plus, more with the true cost of college schollys. I guess I can see both arguments. I think nil will just make college athletics more unseemly. Maybe the answer was to prohibit colleges from using the image, likeness etc. I don’t know
Kids aren't stupid, and they're not all dimwitted jocks from the ghetto with crews. They see coaches making millions and assistants making $500K and they're not even ALLOWED to run a basketball camp. We're not going back, and I'm not sure where we're going, either.

Lol.... no. The answer is not to have a tower full of lawyers in downtown Indy trying to stop water from leaking through a crappy dam

Only a lawyer would think that more rules are the answer. How about just back the fk off and let people do whatever the fk they want to do, as long as they aren't breaking real, adult laws?

Nobody stopped me from earning money in college. Why should anyone be stopping anyone else?

Oh....and the school didn't pay shit for their scholarship. The varsity club donors that pay to watch their favorite team paid for their scholarship. The next physics genius isn't getting shorted a scholarship that would have went to them. So please stop with the bullshit.

These arguments are totally asinine. It's like saying the Pacers provide a platform for NBA players, they should feel lucky to be invited to the Fieldhouse to play. Please take your token $50k/yr.... and oh, you don't you dare try to get another job. We gave you a platform!

Gtfo with that shit.

"Being the simpleton I am....."

Low hanging fruit.

Lol.... no. The answer is not to have a tower full of lawyers in downtown Indy trying to stop water from leaking through a crappy dam

Only a lawyer would think that more rules are the answer. How about just back the fk off and let people do whatever the fk they want to do, as long as they aren't breaking real, adult laws?

Nobody stopped me from earning money in college. Why should anyone be stopping anyone else?

Oh....and the school didn't pay shit for their scholarship. The varsity club donors that pay to watch their favorite team paid for their scholarship. The next physics genius isn't getting shorted a scholarship that would have went to them. So please stop with the bullshit.

These arguments are totally asinine. It's like saying the Pacers provide a platform for NBA players, they should feel lucky to be invited to the Fieldhouse to play. Please take your token $50k/yr.... and oh, you don't you dare try to get another job. We gave you a platform!

Gtfo with that shit.
What are you talking about? A tower of lawyers. No one wants a tower of lawyers for anything. That said you don’t think this will give rise to a whole host of new rules and litigation? How schools are spending their resources? What programs are getting short-changed and why? What title ix implications will arise from this and sure as hell be litigated? You must be pretty naive.

A physics genius getting shorted a scholly? Who said they were?

College sports provide financial value well into six figures and personal enrichment that’s invaluable for kids that are 18, 19 years old. Turning them into car dealership influencers a year out of high school may not be a great idea.

To me professionalizing college sports isn’t a no- brainer. Watch the number of Olympic sports that get cut so schools can promote five kids. I’m not saying this is wrong I’m saying there are consequences and it’s not a no-brainer to move college sports away from amateurism

Last edited:
"Being the simpleton I am....."

Low hanging fruit.
You speak simpleton. Mark might have to dumb things down a little more for you than he would for the average trailer park pundit, but maybe you could keep up.

An athletic scholarship student isn't taking a spot from anyone. What are you basing that upon?

What are you talking about? You don’t think this will give rise to a whole host of new rules and litigation? How schools are spending their resources? What programs are getting short-changed and why? What title ix implications will arise from this and sure as hell be litigated?

A physics genius getting shorted a scholly? Who said they were?

College sports provide financial value well into six figures and personal enrichment that’s invaluable for kids that are 18, 19 years old.

To me professionalizing college sports isn’t a no- brainer. There will be consequences to this, which may include dropping Olympic sports and a fundamental change to college athletics

That's my exact point..... more rules and regulations. For what purpose? There is no purpose whatsoever for any regulation of money flowing. Unless it's to keep the money away from the players and in the institution's control.

Athletic scholarships are funded by the athletic dept.... which raises its funding from the fanbase. Marvin mentioned above that an athletic scholarship is taking a 'spot' from someone else in school. Bullshit. There aren't enough athletes that move the needle.

Why and how should anyone be worried about how TJD makes money deals on his own apart from that? The only negotiable thing is really does the school allow the player to use their brand in those marketing deals.... and any school would be stupid not to allow it (while taking their taste, if need be).

I don't see any title IX implications from NIL.... But maybe I'm naive. NIL are not school resources.... though they've become such under these basterdized rules.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT