ADVERTISEMENT

Universal designated hitter

While I think your 2 examples are too drastic to be equivalent, I see your point.
Let's go down that road though:
The DH rule is like...
if the Eastern Conference had a 35 second shot clock and the Western Conference had the 24 second shot clock.
???
If the Eastern Conference allowed dunking and the Western Conference did not.
???

Fair enough, it is the WS where I think there is a proble with different rules.

I have never been a fan of the DH, but I am glad it is finally coming to the NL. Having 2 sets of rules is even worse than the DH.

Pitchers either must now pitch to 3 batters, or to the end of an inning, unless injured. Why do I predict a lot of "injuries" this year? Pitchers are going to fall to the ground screaming like they are soccer players.
I hate the DH, but I love that MLB is planning to have a season. The Reds made some solid moves in the off season and they could make some noise in this shortened season and slightly expanded playoff.

Reactions: Ladoga
I hate the DH, but I love that MLB is planning to have a season. The Reds made some solid moves in the off season and they could make some noise in this shortened season and slightly expanded playoff.

I was expecting a slightly better year last year, so I am tempering my expectations slightly. Finish ahead of the Cubs is my goal. Largely it puts me back on the winning side of a yearly pizza bet dating back to the 80s. I am in a fairly long losing streak.

Reactions: TommyCracker
I was expecting a slightly better year last year, so I am tempering my expectations slightly. Finish ahead of the Cubs is my goal. Largely it puts me back on the winning side of a yearly pizza bet dating back to the 80s. I am in a fairly long losing streak.
I see better talent in the field and on the mound this year. Starters and relievers are all much better, on paper, this year. I can see them have a very good season this year.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Playoffs are not expanding this season. Will still be only 10 teams.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
I thought I heard they were expanding by two, but I still like the Reds this year.
They were going to expand to 14 if they got an agreement with the players but it went away when they reverted to the default March agreement. But, there’s still an outside chance they end up adding some teams to playoffs this year.

If that's your personal preference, OK, but I've heard a number of National League managers say the DH isn't really that hard to adapt to. The trouble is when you form your roster in the spring and end up needing an aging, overweight power hitter who can't run fast to be your DH and you don't have one.

If that's your personal preference, OK, but I've heard a number of National League managers say the DH isn't really that hard to adapt to. The trouble is when you form your roster in the spring and end up needing an aging, overweight power hitter who can't run fast to be your DH and you don't have one.

For me, I think it is hard for the NL batter to adapt to. Playing the field and batting has a rhythm. Napping for 45 minutes between at bats is a different rhythm.

Of course isn't easy hard for the managers to adapt to, it makes managing easier. With the DH they don't have to make decisions about removing a pitcher that's pitching great for a pinch hitter because they're down 0-1 in the 7th - the pitcher isn't going to hit (or sacrifice bunt, or anything) so there's no decision to make. I just like NL ball much better than AL.

Reactions: Spartans9312
Of course isn't easy hard for the managers to adapt to, it makes managing easier. With the DH they don't have to make decisions about removing a pitcher that's pitching great for a pinch hitter because they're down 0-1 in the 7th - the pitcher isn't going to hit (or sacrifice bunt, or anything) so there's no decision to make. I just like NL ball much better than AL.

I don't like the DH either--mostly because I think everybody on the field should bat. That said, I think the DH also presents a different set of managerial difficulties. With no "gimmie" in the lineup, pitching decisions are different.

There will be no minor league baseball this year, MLB refuses to let the players play. It is a shame in that minor league games can be great fun. I guess the fear was more with the players than the fans (who may/may not socially distance and wear masks).

There will be no minor league baseball this year, MLB refuses to let the players play. It is a shame in that minor league games can be great fun. I guess the fear was more with the players than the fans (who may/may not socially distance and wear masks).
At the rate we’re going I’m not sure we’ll have any sports this fall.

At the rate we’re going I’m not sure we’ll have any sports this fall.

I suspect that is possible. I see several MLB players are saying no to returning. Universities have it worse, the athletes mingle with thousands during the week then play a sport against a team from a different state? I cannot see how it happens.

Frankly I do not see how university's happen even without sports. 45% asymptomatic? They can only be caught by testing, and no one has the resources to test the student body as a whole.

Golf and tennis are spring sports, those are the only ones I think that might work.

I suspect that is possible. I see several MLB players are saying no to returning. Universities have it worse, the athletes mingle with thousands during the week then play a sport against a team from a different state? I cannot see how it happens.

Frankly I do not see how university's happen even without sports. 45% asymptomatic? They can only be caught by testing, and no one has the resources to test the student body as a whole.

Golf and tennis are spring sports, those are the only ones I think that might work.
Nightmare. Like you, i love sports, but we can live without it. The schools we need to come up with something. Online learning for little ones is hell on so many levels.

Reactions: Circlejoe
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT