ADVERTISEMENT

Unemployment

Marvin the Martian

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2001
If you make an unemployment system difficult to navigate, people give up and never get counted as unemployed. That is often good for the governor.

But let's say that governor moves to the Senate and the new governor has a pandemic leading to mass unemployment. Suddenly a poorly functioning system is bad. And it seems the current administration has no problems blaming the previous. https://www.politico.com/states/flo...florida-becomes-a-nightmare-for-trump-1271172

As a side note this morning, oil and gas workers in Texas are complaining about their system. No idea if it was intentionally sabatoged. One guy said he and his buddies wake up in the middle of the night to try and access the system, and it is still saying it is down because of overcrowding. He said he called the hotline 500 times on Saturday, his group has called over 10,000 times in total, and have never gotten through to a human.

If you make an unemployment system difficult to navigate, people give up and never get counted as unemployed. That is often good for the governor.

But let's say that governor moves to the Senate and the new governor has a pandemic leading to mass unemployment. Suddenly a poorly functioning system is bad. And it seems the current administration has no problems blaming the previous. https://www.politico.com/states/flo...florida-becomes-a-nightmare-for-trump-1271172

As a side note this morning, oil and gas workers in Texas are complaining about their system. No idea if it was intentionally sabatoged. One guy said he and his buddies wake up in the middle of the night to try and access the system, and it is still saying it is down because of overcrowding. He said he called the hotline 500 times on Saturday, his group has called over 10,000 times in total, and have never gotten through to a human.

You recall the $600 debate. That was put in place in peanut butter fashion in large part due to most states functioning on 30 year old systems held together by duct tape and chewing gum. times have been good and upgrades took a back seat. We see the results now in NY, FL and other states.

You recall the $600 debate. That was put in place in peanut butter fashion in large part due to most states functioning on 30 year old systems held together by duct tape and chewing gum. times have been good and upgrades took a back seat. We see the results now in NY, FL and other states.

There are two problems. One is the infrastructure, which as you point out is woefully inadequate in a lot of states, and that applies to red and blue states alike.

Florida also has the other problem, a system that was designed to make it intentionally difficult to apply for and receive the benefit. The infrastructure problems make it even worse, but aren't the only problem there.

There are two problems. One is the infrastructure, which as you point out is woefully inadequate in a lot of states, and that applies to red and blue states alike.

Florida also has the other problem, a system that was designed to make it intentionally difficult to apply for and receive the benefit. The infrastructure problems make it even worse, but aren't the only problem there.

Interesting. Why would a state administration make the site intentionally difficult? The result is simply added cost through off-line process help.

Interesting. Why would a state administration make the site intentionally difficult? The result is simply added cost through off-line process help.

The link I posted suggests that the administration of the current Florida Governor is accusing the former Florida governor of wanting a hard to use site so that people would get frustrated and quit before completing and thus artificially lower Florida's unemployment rate.

The link I posted suggests that the administration of the current Florida Governor is accusing the former Florida governor of wanting a hard to use site so that people would get frustrated and quit before completing and thus artificially lower Florida's unemployment rate.

Ehhh that sounds like a conspiracy theory. I am "stuck" in FL right now and I do know that the UI benefits here suck out loud.

Ehhh that sounds like a conspiracy theory. I am "stuck" in FL right now and I do know that the UI benefits here suck out loud.

Take a look at link and see what you think. It might be blame shifting by the current administration. But it does seem people are having difficulty applying.

In my recent experience with the Indiana site, that wasn't an issue. The site itself operated properly, and I'm confident it was getting a lot of heavy use on the days and times I was on it.
This is where it all happens. The Indiana site is cumbersome and confusing to navigate even for a reasonably bright, Internet savvy user. I have absolutely no doubt that some would give up in frustration and despair.

And of course the programs are designed to make actually collecting benefits difficult. It's a freaking insurance program. That's what insurance does: try and minimize payouts. Not only does it look good for the politicos, it makes it cheaper for the businesses that pay into it.

In my recent experience with the Indiana site, that wasn't an issue. The site itself operated properly, and I'm confident it was getting a lot of heavy use on the days and times I was on it.

This is where it all happens. The Indiana site is cumbersome and confusing to navigate even for a reasonably bright, Internet savvy user. I have absolutely no doubt that some would give up in frustration and despair.

And of course the programs are designed to make actually collecting benefits difficult. It's a freaking insurance program. That's what insurance does: try and minimize payouts. Not only does it look good for the politicos, it makes it cheaper for the businesses that pay into it.

The reality is that people are not going to give up because the site sucks...they are simply going to the hand holding line which is a lot more costly. I don't buy this notion..

The reality is that people are not going to give up because the site sucks...they are simply going to the hand holding line which is a lot more costly. I don't buy this notion..
Which isn't an option now or in the near future.

So why would Florida, and according to Mark, Indiana have very difficult to navigate sites? There are a lot of programmers and companies that can build easy to navigate sites. It would seem, under your thought, states would have bent over backwards to create easy sites to save money. Any money spent on site design would have more than paid for itself.

I used to do a lot of work on website accessibility. The only way to have an accessible site is to build it in from the beginning. Once you have to layout every page, every link,making sure it is easy to navigate should be a snap.

So why would Florida, and according to Mark, Indiana have very difficult to navigate sites? There are a lot of programmers and companies that can build easy to navigate sites. It would seem, under your thought, states would have bent over backwards to create easy sites to save money. Any money spent on site design would have more than paid for itself.

I used to do a lot of work on website accessibility. The only way to have an accessible site is to build it in from the beginning. Once you have to layout every page, every link,making sure it is easy to navigate should be a snap.

In general because many are old and don't have the GUI, speed or sophistication that we have become accustomed to. 30 year old technology sucks in general.

That said, Indiana's is not difficult to navigate at all although the sheer volume right now probably brought it to it;s knees.

Hey Marvin!

New Jersey calls!

Why New Jersey’s Unemployment Insurance System Uses a 60-Year-Old Programming Language

https://slate.com/technology/2020/04/new-jersey-unemployment-cobol-coronavirus.html?via=taps_top

On Saturday, the state of New Jersey was mocked on Twitter after Gov. Phil Murphy announced during a press conference that the state had a desperate need for COBOL programmers. The state’s unemployment insurance application website had broken under the weight of the more than 200,000 applications it received in a single week, and volunteers were needed to get the system back up and running reliably. The website is not completely down, but it’s been glitchy, and laid-off workers report that they haven’t been able to submit applications. In response, the state has implemented a schedule for using the website based on people’s Social Security numbers. Murphy confessed that the unemployment systems themselves are “40-plus years old”—and that they were still written in COBOL, a programming language initially developed in 1959.​

Hey Marvin!

New Jersey calls!

Why New Jersey’s Unemployment Insurance System Uses a 60-Year-Old Programming Language

https://slate.com/technology/2020/04/new-jersey-unemployment-cobol-coronavirus.html?via=taps_top

On Saturday, the state of New Jersey was mocked on Twitter after Gov. Phil Murphy announced during a press conference that the state had a desperate need for COBOL programmers. The state’s unemployment insurance application website had broken under the weight of the more than 200,000 applications it received in a single week, and volunteers were needed to get the system back up and running reliably. The website is not completely down, but it’s been glitchy, and laid-off workers report that they haven’t been able to submit applications. In response, the state has implemented a schedule for using the website based on people’s Social Security numbers. Murphy confessed that the unemployment systems themselves are “40-plus years old”—and that they were still written in COBOL, a programming language initially developed in 1959.​

That has been really popular with Facebook. Even the ones that learned it haven't used it in 30 years.

In general because many are old and don't have the GUI, speed or sophistication that we have become accustomed to. 30 year old technology sucks in general.

That said, Indiana's is not difficult to navigate at all although the sheer volume right now probably brought it to it;s knees.

The Florida system was just built 7 years ago.

The Indiana site is cumbersome and confusing to navigate even for a reasonably bright, Internet savvy user. I have absolutely no doubt that some would give up in frustration and despair.
Woo Hoo!!!

I must have done something right! Just checked with my bank and see that I got my first UI payment yesterday. I'm not normally one to brag, but it was a whopping $35. Yes, that's thirty-five dollars, people.

That was for losing one day of work three weeks ago. The next one will be for missing three days work the following week. Then it's total furlough going forward, for who knows how long.

Livin' on easy street now, I tell ya.

Woo Hoo!!!

I must have done something right! Just checked with my bank and see that I got my first UI payment yesterday. I'm not normally one to brag, but it was a whopping $35. Yes, that's thirty-five dollars, people.

That was for losing one day of work three weeks ago. The next one will be for missing three days work the following week. Then it's total furlough going forward, for who knows how long.

So you are buying Jankos (to go of course) for the board.

Woo Hoo!!!

Don't blow it all in one place

Woo Hoo!!!

$35 - that's two more months of netflix! Let em extend that stay home order!

LOL. IN unemployment site is down for the count today.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT