ADVERTISEMENT

UNC vs IU in College Cup, Friday, December 8 on ESPNU

snowling

Hall of Famer
The UNC/IU Semifinal is scheduled for Friday, December 8 at 8:45p (EST) in Philly and will be broadcast on ESPNU. Stanford/Akron will probably precede that match.
The College Cup Final is scheduled for Sunday, December 10 at 1p and will be broadcast on ESPN2.
Time to revisit the soccer bracket which updates as games are played ... take a look:
http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/soccer-men/d1

Go Hoosiers!

Last edited:
Does someone have a good detailed history of IUMS vs. UNC? I believe they have killed a title or two of our hopes. Evil bastards. We owe them a couple of big losses.

P.S. Did any of their soccer players take AFAM(AMFAM sp?) courses? :)

Reactions: RBB89
Does someone have a good detailed history of IUMS vs. UNC? I believe they have killed a title or two of our hopes. Evil bastards. We owe them a couple of big losses.

P.S. Did any of their soccer players take AFAM(AMFAM sp?) courses? :)

I don't have a detailed history on that pairing, but here is a review of the College Cup which notes the final 4 and details with each year of the event. In a quick review, Virginia has been a thorn in our side and UNC did beat IU in 2001.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_Men's_Soccer_Championship

Go Hoosiers!

IU and Carolina have been pretty even over the years in the NCAA tourney. In 2000 they were the overall #1 ranked team and IU upset them in Chapel Hill on a snowy day. That was the round of 8. The next year, 2001, Carolina beat IU in the title game at Crew stadium. I was there for that one and it was a bit of an upset too. IU again won at Chapel Hill in the round of 8 on their way to the 2012 title. Carolina might have beaten us once since then, but can't remember for certain.

Reactions: snowling
Since 1974, Indiana and North Carolina have played five times in the NCAA tournament:

2000 - Indiana won 1-0 (3rd Round)
2001 - Carolina won 2-0 (Finals)
2009 - Carolina won 1-0 (3rd Round)
2011 - Carolina won 1-0 OT (3rd Round)
2012 - Indiana won 1-0 (Quarter Finals)

Looks like the lower seed won three times (2000, 2001 and 2012).

I believe the above is correct, but please let me know if anyone sees an error.

Reactions: snowling
Dear sirs, your responses are much appreciated! Just read the IUHoosiers artilce, getting cautiously excited about this game. Maybe the guys will peak this weekend.

Hoo-Hoo-Hoo-Hoosiers!

Great match last night. Nice adjustments at the break. IU came out noticeably the aggressor in the 2nd half, leading to the goal barely 4 minutes in.

I know I’m biased, but grew tired of the announcers fawning all over UNC. It probably wasn’t as bad as I perceived. Curious if anyone else felt the same? I imagine it will be similar against Stanford, but they are the 2-time defending Nat’l Champs, so - I get it. It’s not like we’re chopped liver, though o_O

Great match last night. Nice adjustments at the break. IU came out noticeably the aggressor in the 2nd half, leading to the goal barely 4 minutes in.

I know I’m biased, but grew tired of the announcers fawning all over UNC. It probably wasn’t as bad as I perceived. Curious if anyone else felt the same? I imagine it will be similar against Stanford, but they are the 2-time defending Nat’l Champs, so - I get it. It’s not like we’re chopped liver, though o_O

They did seem to dominate first 20 minutes. Felt like IU held advantage most of the rest of the way. They almost got a goal at the very end.

They did seem to dominate first 20 minutes. Felt like IU held advantage most of the rest of the way. They almost got a goal at the very end.

We were very fortunate with that UNC point blank shot at the end going wide ride, but our goalie and a defender were in a good position. I agree the last 3/4 of game we more than held our own.

Anyone way more knowledgeable than me have a scouting report on how we match up with Stanford?

@Bizzlepizzle seems to be very knowledgeable. I know the rules is about it but I am growing to appreciate the game. Soccer was big deal in my town of Washington before many places around us. We had 8-10 families move into our community from Britain over 35 years ago. They got youth soccer started in Washington and it thrived. Couple of the men were very good players and coaches. We had the advantage in our area for years but alas everyone has caught up.

My son started in youth soccer but his dad had a war with federation so we stuck with basketball, baseball, golf and tennis. Lol.

ADVERTISEMENT