ADVERTISEMENT

UM facing Up to $1 billion financial

If you are talking endowment monies large amounts are restricted and can not be used for operations. The Detroit New article specifically mentions restricted endowment funds and their limitations.
Perfect example of media hysteria. With the multi-billions these foundations have, I'm sure each could scrape up at least $1 Billion in uncommited funds.

Maybe you could tap the Yawn Purdue Club for some extra sheckles.

This is why the world will return to normal. A massive amount of private colleges will fold if there isn’t a Fall term. Heck, half of American businesses will fail if this drags into the Fall.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
If you are talking endowment monies large amounts are restricted and can not be used for operations. The Detroit New article specifically mentions restricted endowment funds and their limitations.
I assumed there were restrictions on endowment money but just as government does I'm sure these restrictions (especially now) could be changed by BOT vote, order of the president, state law, amendments to charters, etc. If this is not a time to change these endowments or a certain percentage of them for any educational benefit, then when is that time?

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
I assumed there were restrictions on endowment money but just as government does I'm sure these restrictions (especially now) could be changed by BOT vote, order of the president, state law, amendments to charters, etc.
The donors or their estates would have to change the terms. The university or the state can't change those terms unilaterally.

The donors or their estates would have to change the terms. The university or the state can't change those terms unilaterally.
I imagine more than a few estates would channge the terms if it was for the perservation of good old State U.

Losses in coming year. I had heard the IU BOT had projected a potential loss in the same range. Likely a target number for most Power 5 universities.
https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/thre...-losses-this-yr-as-result-of-covid-19.313910/

without an actual accounting of how they came up with any numbers, they are totally worthless.

that said, great to see the multi millionaire execs of these subsidized "non profit" universities are taking 7-10% temporary pay reductions.

no doubt Joe Worker or small business owner is hugely impressed with how generous of them this is.

I was thinking about the Kentucky Derby (because I love it) and was thinking about them hosting it in September as currently planned. The event brings in around 1/2 a billion dollars to the Louisville area. Estimate that in a crowd of 150,000 that COVID spreads to 15,000 people. Currently, in Hamilton County (where I live) 7% of KNOWN positive cases are dying. Assuming the actual rate is closer to 2%, that is still approximately 300 people that would die from hosting the Derby. What I ask myself is this: If somebody said, "At this year's Kentucky Derby, ISIS will detonate a bomb that will kill 300 people," would people still say, "half a billion is half a billion - we're all going to die sometime and society must move on?" That's not even mentioning the "downstream" effect of that many people bringing it back to their home(town)s.

I know that's slightly off-topic, but sometimes I have to readjust my desires to match reality.

I also suspect some folks made their bequests irrevocable to insure the money was used for the purpose they intended.
I honestly doubt that much money is going into designated giving. I would venture to say there is at least enough undesignated giving to cover $1 billion.

Anyone know how the BTN payouts could be affected?
BTN should get paid per whatever, and for however long, the contract designates.

I don't know if there's a clause in there about the Big Ten providing a certain amount of content or not.

I don't think we'll hear anything about it unless the football season is canceled. Then all hell could break loose.

BTN should get paid per whatever, and for however long, the contract designates.

I don't know if there's a clause in there about the Big Ten providing a certain amount of content or not.

I don't think we'll hear anything about it unless the football season is canceled. Then all hell could break loose.

The Big Ten Network, which is 49% owned by the member schools, has only one source of income and that is advertising revenues primarily from football and mbb. If there are no events there will be no advertising income and thus no distributions to the schools.

The Big Ten Network, which is 49% owned by the member schools, has only one source of income and that is advertising revenues primarily from football and mbb. If there are no events there will be no advertising income and thus no distributions to the schools.
They get paid by Comcast and the like, so they should retain that stream. Although those contracts may be voided if the conference doesn't provide the content.

That''s why I said we won't know until we know if the football season is on.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I was thinking about the Kentucky Derby (because I love it) and was thinking about them hosting it in September as currently planned. The event brings in around 1/2 a billion dollars to the Louisville area. Estimate that in a crowd of 150,000 that COVID spreads to 15,000 people. Currently, in Hamilton County (where I live) 7% of KNOWN positive cases are dying. Assuming the actual rate is closer to 2%, that is still approximately 300 people that would die from hosting the Derby. What I ask myself is this: If somebody said, "At this year's Kentucky Derby, ISIS will detonate a bomb that will kill 300 people," would people still say, "half a billion is half a billion - we're all going to die sometime and society must move on?" That's not even mentioning the "downstream" effect of that many people bringing it back to their home(town)s.

I know that's slightly off-topic, but sometimes I have to readjust my desires to match reality.

The death rate is nowhere near that high. We’ve got to get that false narrative out of people’s heads. There is a massive population - possibly millions of people walking around right now with zero symptoms. This is estimated at 25-40% of the population. There is another chunk, nearly that high that has mild symptoms that ride it out at home. They never get tested. We’re only testing mainly the most sick.
Did you happen to see in Cass County where they tested the Tyson plant in its entirety? Nearly 400 people came back positive! Only a small chunk of that 400 were showing symptoms. The rest were just coming to work and completely fine. They did a random study of 3,000 prisoners? 96% of the prisoners who tested positive had no symptoms! Please, watch the Dr Erickson from California video on YouTube! Please.

It’s estimated worldwide every single year 250-500 THOUSAND people die of the flu and nobody bats an eye. Babies, children, adults, healthy, sick, every demographic dies from the flu. And nobody bats an eye. It’s asinine what the world is doing right now and it’s completely out of fear. We’re ignoring the data right in front of our eyes, the data that is showing a death rate right in line with the flu.

Let’s not even get into the fact hospitals are pressuring their doctors to list Covid as the main reason for cause of death despite other pre-existing conditions. Medicare is paying out way more money if Covid is listed as a cause of death. USA Today had an article on that just yesterday. New York is a state that’s Been allowed to list Covid as a cause of death even without a positive test result since the beginning of their little pandemic which is letting them tap into the federal funding. Indiana just started doing this as well, but only as a week ago.
There’s so much misinformation out there regarding this thing it just really upsets me. I wish people would form their own opinion and research outside what the media and government force feeds us. I bought in, like the rest of the world, but with the more data that keeps coming out, I just can’t help but think this thing is way overhyped. Yeah, it’s a deadly virus...just like the flu is...and you see how serious the world takes that. The death rates are nowhere at all what’s being reported. It’s way under 1%. Kinda like...the flu.
We should absolutely be letting those who are young, healthy, and willing, go about their business. Those who are Vulnerable or scared, lock down. We’ve got to develop herd immunity. We’re not going to do that hiding in our houses (not to mention the nations overall immunity to everything is begin compromised as we speak) We were told all the hospitals were going to be over run with Corona patients. That only happened in NYC. The vast majority of hospitals right this minute...are empty. Indiana never even got close to 50% capacity. There will likely NEVER BE A VACCINE! How many vaccines do we have right now for coronavirus? Zero, right? Herd immunity is our only hope. Quarantine the sick and vulnerable, let those willing and healthy go about their business.

Last edited:
The death rate is nowhere near that high. We’ve got to get that false narrative out of people’s heads. There is a massive population - possibly millions of people walking around right now with zero symptoms. This is estimated at 25-40% of the population. There is another chunk, nearly that high that has mild symptoms that ride it out at home. They never get tested. We’re only testing mainly the most sick.
Did you happen to see in Cass County where they tested the Tyson plant in its entirety? Nearly 400 people came back positive! Only a small chunk of that 400 were showing symptoms. The rest were just coming to work and completely fine. They did a random study of 3,000 prisoners? 96% of the prisoners who tested positive had no symptoms! Please, watch the Dr Erickson from California video on YouTube! Please.

It’s estimated worldwide every single year 250-500 THOUSAND people die of the flu and nobody bats an eye. Babies, children, adults, healthy, sick, every demographic dies from the flu. And nobody bats an eye. It’s asinine what the world is doing right now and it’s completely out of fear. We’re ignoring the data right in front of our eyes, the data that is showing a death rate right in line with the flu.

Let’s not even get into the fact hospitals are pressuring their doctors to list Covid as the main reason for cause of death despite other pre-existing conditions. Medicare is paying out way more money if Covid is listed as a cause of death. USA Today had an article on that just yesterday. New York is a state that’s Been allowed to list Covid as a cause of death even without a positive test result since the beginning of their little pandemic which is letting them tap into the federal funding. Indiana just started doing this as well, but only as a week ago.
There’s so much misinformation out there regarding this thing it just really upsets me. I wish people would form their own opinion and research outside what the media and government force feeds us. I bought in, like the rest of the world, but with the more data that keeps coming out, I just can’t help but think this thing is way overhyped. Yeah, it’s a deadly virus...just like the flu is...and you see how serious the world takes that. The death rates are nowhere at all what’s being reported. It’s way under 1%. Kinda like...the flu.
We should absolutely be letting those who are young, healthy, and willing, go about their business. Those who are Vulnerable or scared, lock down. We’ve got to develop herd immunity. We’re not going to do that hiding in our houses (not to mention the nations overall immunity to everything is begin compromised as we speak) We were told all the hospitals were going to be over run with Corona patients. That only happened in NYC. The vast majority of hospitals right this minute...are empty. Indiana never even got close to 50% capacity. There will likely NEVER BE A VACCINE! How many vaccines do we have right now for coronavirus? Zero, right? Herd immunity is our only hope. Quarantine the sick and vulnerable, let those willing and healthy go about their business.
Everyone of your points is spot on. But good luck convincing the 'But science!" crowd.

They only get their information from ABC, NBC, CBS, MSNBC, and CNN. When facts come out that show otherwise, their heads explode and refuse to change their opinions because they can't admit they were wrong.

It's very frustrating to see the economic catastrophe and human misery that will be with us for some time. And all for nothing.

Last edited:
Everyone of your points is spot on. But good luck convincing the 'But science!" crowd.

They only get their information from ABC, NBC, CBS, MSNBC, and CNN. When facts come out that show otherwise, their heads explode and refuse to change their opinions because they can't admit they were wrong.

It's very frustrating to see the economic catasrophe and human misery that will be with us for some time. And all for nothing.

California is the one I feel sorry for. They’ve been locked down for what, 2 months? No end in sight? Only like 1,800 deaths? When they do gradually open, that number will spike hard. Then they’ll close it down again. The states that didn’t do anything are honestly helping everyone out! They’re going to pass it through society as quickly as possible and get things back to normal in their respective areas in a season.

Reactions: DANC
That''s why I said we won't know until we know if the football season is on.

Better known among older generations as “No tickey, no washy

It's very frustrating to see the economic catasrophe and human misery that will be with us for some time. And all for nothing.

We agree on economics!

[QUOTE="Did you happen to see in Cass County where they tested the Tyson plant in its entirety? Nearly 400 people came back positive! Only a small chunk of that 400 were showing symptoms. The rest were just coming to work and completely fine. They did a random study of 3,000 prisoners? 96% of the prisoners who tested positive had no symptoms! Please, watch the Dr Erickson from California video on YouTube! Please.

YouTube took down Dr. Erickson's video.

It's very frustrating to see the economic catastrophe and human misery that will be with us for some time. And all for nothing.

it's only an economic catastrophe because we live in a feudal society, and protecting the feudal lords 100% while everyone else suffers losses outside their control, and takes 100% of the hit.

in a zero percent interest Fed environment, we could have easily, and relatively cheaply compared to the total clusterfk approach we took, paused all mortgages, rents, and all loan payments, day one, and for as long as necessary.

all commercial and residential rental property owners would have had their mortgage pmts on the properties paused as well, so no loss other than margin while on hold. (and the Fed could let them borrow to cover any maintenance at zero percent).

major loan/mortgage debt holders wouldn't have the loans/mortgages principles reduced one cent while on hold, and they're getting money at zero percent, so can borrow to cover their current needs and pay the borrow back at no loss, once payments start flowing again.

but making sure the feudal lords didn't suffer so much as one penny's deferred gain for so long as one day, was priority one, and screw everybody else.

[QUOTE="Did you happen to see in Cass County where they tested the Tyson plant in its entirety? Nearly 400 people came back positive! Only a small chunk of that 400 were showing symptoms. The rest were just coming to work and completely fine. They did a random study of 3,000 prisoners? 96% of the prisoners who tested positive had no symptoms! Please, watch the Dr Erickson from California video on YouTube! Please.

I know! That’s crazy! It’s still out there though.

it's only an economic catastrophe because we live in a feudal society, and protecting the feudal lords 100% while everyone else suffers losses outside their control, and takes 100% of the hit.

in a zero percent interest Fed environment, we could have easily, and relatively cheaply compared to the total clusterfk approach we took, paused all mortgages, rents, and all loan payments, day one, and for as long as necessary.

all commercial and residential rental property owners would have had their mortgage pmts on the properties paused as well, so no loss other than margin while on hold. (and the Fed could let them borrow to cover any maintenance at zero percent).

major loan/mortgage debt holders wouldn't have the loans/mortgages principles reduced one cent while on hold, and they're getting money at zero percent, so can borrow to cover their current needs and pay the borrow back at no loss, once payments start flowing again.

but making sure the feudal lords didn't suffer so much as one penny's deferred gain for so long as one day, was priority one, and screw everybody else.

Stopping the loans would only help a few. There’s no way everyone unemployed gets hired back. I’m not an economist but unemployment will be ridiculously high for years. And it’s completely self inflicted.

Stopping the loans would only help a few. There’s no way everyone unemployed gets hired back. I’m not an economist but unemployment will be ridiculously high for years. And it’s completely self inflicted.
You must be new here. There's no reasoning with that guy.

He's insane. Really.

please don't totally change what i said to imply i said something i absolutely didn't, in order to further your own different agenda.

and if you think pausing mortgages and rents and loans would only help a few, then you're a total and complete moron who has absolutely no business posting on the subject. (not to mention that it could have been done far quicker, cheaper, and infinitely more efficiently).

and as far as the economy rebounding,

in a consumer based economy, the economy's recovery, thus employment's as well, will depend on what economic shape the working class, not JP Morgan Chase, Wells Fargo, Citi, and BOA, comes out of this in.

thus why i said what i did, which you apparently totally misread or totally lied about.

His whole premise was completely off base, as he was starting with a skewed sample. His numbers would like trying estimate the average height of Americans by only measuring NBA players.

Reactions: 76-1

My Son's mortgage was deferred. No interest accruing, no payments due until July.

My Son's mortgage was deferred. No interest accruing, no payments due until July.

I think working with mortgages and rent on a case by case basis makes a lot more sense, than a blanket defer everything policy. People who still are working and getting paid their full salary, should keep paying because that makes it easier for lenders and landlords to accommodate those that have lost income.

Reactions: 76-1 and DANC
Losses in coming year. I had heard the IU BOT had projected a potential loss in the same range. Likely a target number for most Power 5 universities.
https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/thre...-losses-this-yr-as-result-of-covid-19.313910/

I thought the UM projection includes more than athletics. Also, I can not find anything in a brief search that suggest IU has projected that loss (there was authority given to borrow up to that amount). Do you have a source that IU is predicting total losses to be $1 billion? Any breakdown as to athletic department portion?

Perfect example of media hysteria. With the multi-billions these foundations have, I'm sure each could scrape up at least $1 Billion in uncommited funds.

Maybe you could tap the Yawn Purdue Club for some extra sheckles.

The IU system endowment was in the ballpark of ~$2.4B prior to the stock market dip. There is no reality in which anything close to 40% of the endowment is unrestricted.

Reactions: muubell
I thought the UM projection includes more than athletics. Also, I can not find anything in a brief search that suggest IU has projected that loss (there was authority given to borrow up to that amount). Do you have a source that IU is predicting total losses to be $1 billion? Any breakdown as to athletic department portion?

Not exactly what you were asking for, but the Board of Trustees discussed and approved a $1B line of credit to cover all potential needs. I assume that line of credit lines up with a worst-case scenario budget issue. IDS covered the ask here: https://www.idsnews.com/article/202...-trustees-to-borrow-1-billion-due-to-pandemic

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT