ADVERTISEMENT

UK, US, Australia security partnership to counter China

In all seriousness, I support this move like everybody should.

But when do we get real and put boots on the ground in Taiwan? I don’t see it as an escalatory move, I see it as preventing the inevitable take over that will happen if we don’t move ground forces into the region.

Somehow, Joe and Boris pulled the Aussies off the fence and got them to commit to containing Chinese plans in the Indo-Pacific.

(Hint: "Somehow" means helping them build some kickass submarines.)

France is pissed about it. This means Australia is backing out of their contract with France for diesel submarines. They say Biden stabbed them in the back. Oh well, buying weapon systems from us means someone else loses a sale.

Reactions: Circlejoe
In all seriousness, I support this move like everybody should.

But when do we get real and put boots on the ground in Taiwan? I don’t see it as an escalatory move, I see it as preventing the inevitable take over that will happen if we don’t move ground forces into the region.
I think you just like typing the phrase, "boots on the ground". Sounds tough.

France needs to fast forward to the 22nd century and build plankton-powered submarines. If there’s any plankton left, that is.

Diesel submarines? They selling them muskets too?
Diesel submarines are actually hard to find and attack or protect against. We worry about them. When they're submerged and running electric they're quieter than nukes. There's a place for them. There's an long-term ongoing debate about whether we should add diesel subs to our fleet.

Diesel submarines are actually hard to find and attack or protect against. We worry about them. When they're submerged and running electric they're quieter than nukes. There's a place for them. There's an long-term ongoing debate about whether we should add diesel subs to our fleet.

zTvIpvwmvVBnt8wIhjc2I5Ab957.jpg

Reactions: Noodle

I’ve read some high tech thriller novels that include references to diesel/ electric subs. They are represented to be very quiet and lethal.

That is a very poorly written (or edited) article that gave me a headache.

But it's a fascinating concept. It brings to mind the eternal tension between numerical and technical superiority, which has been a central part of warfare since, well, since the first Homo erectus picked up a rock, I imagine.

Edit: Lucy probably laughed at the word "erectus."

• Haha
Reactions: Lucy01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT