ADVERTISEMENT

ugh...a horrible story from Disney World - a 2 year old boy was attacked by an alligator...

Then they're dumb.
The Lagoon is man-made. It's part of the Disney complex. The reason they don't allow swimming doesn't have to do with gators, anyway. They used to allow swimming, but banned it years ago when they started renting out powerboats (which is why the signs say "no swimming" instead of "stay the f*** out of the water"). I mean, I agree that when a sign says "No Swimming," you should take that shit seriously, but I can completely understand why some bumpkins from the middle of the dust bowl would have no idea what they were messing with, especially when you consider that even in Florida, gator attacks are extremely rare, anyway. If you take your 2-year old kid to Disney right now, and let him wade around in the water at night, there is like a 99.99999999999999999999999999999999% chance he'll be just fine. This was a fluke.

Sorry, I raised two kids in Indiana - long way from gator country. No way in hell I would have let my little tike wade around in a lagoon or whatever in Florida at night. That said, this is very sad obviously.

Sorry, I raised two kids in Indiana - long way from gator country. No way in hell I would have let my little tike wade around in a lagoon or whatever in Florida at night. That said, this is very sad obviously.
I wouldn't let my 2-year old wade around in a lagoon in Iowa at night, either. That's a bad parenting decision no matter what. I'm just saying it's completely understandable that a couple of rubes from the middle of the plains wouldn't understand this danger, especially when this danger isn't actually much of a real danger, anyway, and only happens very rarely.

Yeah its just one of those tough situations. And I'm not one to be a proponent of being overly cautious either. I think we get too cautious with our kids sometimes. It's hard to say I guess if you're not in the situation. But I can't imagine I would have let my kid do that. Maybe because of, as I posted earlier, having lured gators out of a pond as a kid myself, that would have been in the back of my mind. I suppose some Nebraskans could be oblivious to the notion of a gator eating their kid.

Dont worry....they found the kid. He only had a couple of puncture marks so the gator didnt eat him.

balcony-view.jpg

That doesn't exactly scream "Danger! Stay out of water!"

Maybe there are signs, but I'm thinkin maybe some ropes along there would be in the future.

Then they're dumb.

We know they're dumb. We knew that based on the fact they're paying a small fortune to take a 1 and 2 year old to a Disney resort in June. But if you're attracting dummies from all over to come give your resort money, give the dummy-targeted warnings - something a little more detailed than "No Swimming" along side the "No Pets or Glassware on the Beach".

Reactions: Rakkasan29
balcony-view.jpg

That doesn't exactly scream "Danger! Stay out of water!"

Maybe there are signs, but I'm thinkin maybe some ropes along there would be in the future.

Are you serious? Ropes on a beach? It's a 2 yo around a lake at night. How about just having responsible parents; is that too much to ask (yes, I know it is)? It is a big body of water in FL, so anyone who knows anything about gators is going to recognize there's a risk there, so I would say they should have posted gator warning signs to alert people to that danger who might not be aware, but beyond that it's really on the parents imo. This is a sad and terrible thing, but I don't think Disney is culpable, again imo.

We know they're dumb. We knew that based on the fact they're paying a small fortune to take a 1 and 2 year old to a Disney resort in June. But if you're attracting dummies from all over to come give your resort money, give the dummy-targeted warnings - something a little more detailed than "No Swimming" along side the "No Pets or Glassware on the Beach".
Sure. They can double-check to make sure the coffee cups still say "Careful - Hot" on them while they're at it.

I get what you're saying. I don't necessarily disagree. And this was a pretty rare thing that happened and no one expected gators to be in Disney's pond. Yet it's pretty obvious that Florida+Pond+Night=dangerous place for a toddler to be. I know, to Goat's point, they're Nebraskans and thus probably oblivious to the dangers inherent in Florida waters. But in this day and age if you're old enough to have kids, you mostly likely have watched something on TV or read something somewhere in your life that would clue you into the fact that gators lurk in the water in Florida, and that they're dangerous. Just common sense.

Sure. They can double-check to make sure the coffee cups still say "Careful - Hot" on them while they're at it.

I get what you're saying. I don't necessarily disagree. And this was a pretty rare thing that happened and no one expected gators to be in Disney's pond. Yet it's pretty obvious that Florida+Pond+Night=dangerous place for a toddler to be. I know, to Goat's point, they're Nebraskans and thus probably oblivious to the dangers inherent in Florida waters. But in this day and age if you're old enough to have kids, you mostly likely have watched something on TV or read something somewhere in your life that would clue you into the fact that gators lurk in the water in Florida, and that they're dangerous. Just common sense.

I think I've been to that lake. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's actually a pretty good sized lake and they have fishing guides in bass boats, and boats that ferry people to camping areas and other resort properties, etc... I would fully expect that it had gators in it, but I assume every pond, lake or waterway in FL has them unless it's a swimming pool. They probably should have signs warning of that specific danger, but anyone with common sense should recognize the danger there, and my guess is all the signs in the world and we'd still be in the same spot, just like there are hikers killed almost every year in a nearby park despite signs and railings warning of the danger. If nothing else, stupid people are usually consistent.

We were on Hilton Head Island 3 or 4 years ago and there was a gator in the surf right on the beach in front of our condo. Everyone freaked and eventually a couple of dudes in khaki shorts rolled up in a truck. One dude taped the gators mouth closed and the other one literally tossed it over his shoulder and they hauled it off. If the dude carrying off the gator didn't get laid later, well I don't know what to say.

It was pretty docile though, probably from being in the salt water. Someone told me that they can occasionally wander out of the brackish canals into the open ocean by accident.

Why do I think we're missing out on the gratuitous topless scene that followed this? For the record, I'm totally in favor of (female Cap!) gratuitous topless scenes! I bet Trump is too. He needs to broaden his platform

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT