ADVERTISEMENT

UE in "serious" talks with Cheaney.

By all accounts, CC has taken care of his money very well. So, other than the idea of respect, his salary probably wouldn't mean a lot. It is, likely, the idea he can get head coaching experience in his home town. If they get him quality assistants, he has a good chance to be successful.

By all accounts, CC has taken care of his money very well. So, other than the idea of respect, his salary probably wouldn't mean a lot. It is, likely, the idea he can get head coaching experience in his home town. If they get him quality assistants, he has a good chance to be successful.

Sounds like it isn’t going to happen with Calbert.

Aces fans may be forced to support a Mildcat.

In my opinion McCarty's coaching resume looks better then Calbert's. If it's down to those two I would pick McCarty.

Maybe some one else remembers better that I, but think it was related to his accident driving out to Arizona where his girl friend was seriously injured and ended up with disabilities. If I remember correctly, his request was he be allowed to transfer to Iowa because it would be closer to her. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. Also, I think his father lived in Iowa at the time.
IIRC, Recker had stopped seeing his paralyzed girlfriend around the time he transferred. If she was a reason for the transfer, it wasn't maintained. His dad lived in Iowa. His wreck may have been enough to cause him to move to be with family or it could have been a way to come play for Alford.

If Recker could get a waiver, others can too.

Reactions: channi
In my opinion McCarty's coaching resume looks better then Calbert's. If it's down to those two I would pick McCarty.
UE wants to improve their schedule and a coach that will be active in the community. Word is Walter has checked all the boxes so far and Calbert hasn't. McCarty will be in town Tuesday morning while Ragland interviewed today.

My only question is if UE can offer enough money to get McCarty.

On the plus side, McCarty has coached under Stevens. On the negative side, there will be a few fans show up at the Ford Center in UK blue.

Good point. Except for being from there what in that job would attract Calbert?
Maybe to get his feet wet in a head coaching job. Tommy Amaker tried his hand at Michigan and had a hard time. Some coaches try to start a little lower and try for success to build the resume. Another thing-is blockchargelarge on here just to have confrontational posts with others. Because from many posts,it sure seems that way. We can all agree nicely to disagree about thoughts. Not one of us are experts or we would be making a heck of a lot more money.

Reactions: IUgradman
UE wants to improve their schedule and a coach that will be active in the community. Word is Walter has checked all the boxes so far and Calbert hasn't. McCarty will be in town Tuesday morning while Ragland interviewed today.

My only question is if UE can offer enough money to get McCarty.

On the plus side, McCarty has coached under Stevens. On the negative side, there will be a few fans show up at the Ford Center in UK blue.

What I’ve heard is that Calbert wanted significantly more money for the assistants and recruiting budget than the university was willing/able to afford.

UE just hired McCarty.
I think it is a good hire. Hopefully Ragland can come back to Evansville as an assistant and they can keep more local talent. Nunge would have been a star at UE and Lairy from Bosse would have been a good player for them to keep in town.

I'm not impressed with McCarty being hired. He'll have a very tough first year if the best players transfer, and I believe the "honeymoon" will be brief.

I'm not impressed with McCarty being hired. He'll have a very tough first year if the best players transfer, and I believe the "honeymoon" will be brief.
He's got a lot of coaching experience though no head coaching. It broke my heart when he went to UK. He was from Calbert's school at Harrison and I just thought he would come to IU as well. BTW, my mother graduated from Evansville Central and I have a lot of family down in that area. Ok, you probably didn't want to know these things, but screw it. I typed it and now will stop. :)

Reactions: crayfish67
He's got a lot of coaching experience though no head coaching. It broke my heart when he went to UK. He was from Calbert's school at Harrison and I just thought he would come to IU as well. BTW, my mother graduated from Evansville Central and I have a lot of family down in that area. Ok, you probably didn't want to know these things, but screw it. I typed it and now will stop. :)

I don’t even recall IU recruiting Walter. Heck, they barely recruited Calbert. As I recall, Knight had to be convinced by an assistant to make a late offer. In fairness, Cheaney missed a lot of his senior year due to injury.

McCarty couldn’t get admitted to IU, and was a Prop 48 at UK. Knight didn’t recruit him when it was clear he couldn’t get admitted to school.

Reactions: channi
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT