ADVERTISEMENT

Ucla/Gonzaga

demunn

Freshman
Mar 15, 2017
You watch these two teams and that was a half that showcased talent and coaching. Amazing motion on offense, ridiculous shooting, defense and moves to the basket. We have a lot of work to do...

You watch these two teams and that was a half that showcased talent and coaching. Amazing motion on offense, ridiculous shooting, defense and moves to the basket. We have a lot of work to do...

Glad we have an NBA coach, and a proven college coach to advise him. Have had two horrible coaches the last two goes at it. We are due.

Reactions: 76-1 and demunn
We're light years behind these teams.
This group of player's will never be on that level..
No matter what coach is coaching..
That's just a fact..

I think both teams went at least 8 deep in that half and I didnt see one weak link.

That's just a fact..
Archie was a really bad coach for this group and in general at this level IMO. Just be glad you have 500 in your pocket and were just wrong on a message board ;)

That's just a fact..
A lot behind Gonzaga. Not a lot behind UCLA. They’re 2 weeks removed from barely making the NCAA tournament. They’ve found a groove, but they lost a lot of games for a reason. I’d say we are one good play making guard away from UCLA level. Gonzaga is on a completely different level top to bottom from anyone else. Good news, for anyone rooting against Gonzaga, is you can only play 5. And we’ve seen in the NCAAs what can happen when you get 1 or 2 really hot players.

Reactions: 76-1 and twenty02
A lot behind Gonzaga. Not a lot behind UCLA. They’re 2 weeks removed from barely making the NCAA tournament. They’ve found a groove, but they lost a lot of games for a reason. I’d say we are one good play making guard away from UCLA level. Gonzaga is on a completely different level top to bottom from anyone else. Good news, for anyone rooting against Gonzaga, is you can only play 5. And we’ve seen in the NCAAs what can happen when you get 1 or 2 really hot players.
It’s all shooting when it comes to keeping up with the zags. If you can rebound too. You need those extra possessions. It’s interesting the two contrasting styles too.

Cronins a good coach, but continually switching that high ball screen has cost them this game.

That was one of the best FF and NCAA games of all time.
It was probably the best non-IU game I've seen. Great play by both teams, but that undefeated season hanging in the balance made the stakes feel huge. Man, I wish Juzang would have pulled up on that drive. Cronin does a good job of teaching them to take those easy little jumpers rather than barreling on in, but instinct took over.

It at least ranks right up there with all of the other storied games of the past. UK/Duke in 92 was bananas. I thought Sean Woods had won IU the title when he hit that high banker. Villanova over Georgetown in 85 I think was probaly my favorite though until tonight.

Ole Cronin's a pretty good coach..... but lets see how he does once Alfords recruits are gone:p

Great game. Wish they would call a travel when Timme shuffled his feet nearly every time he made a move with the ball.

That's just a fact..

Ucla barely made the tourney, and Mich State had them down 14 in the play- in game.

They just got hot and things started clicking at the right time. And Juzang started playing next- level.

Reactions: BHAII
It was probably the best non-IU game I've seen. Great play by both teams, but that undefeated season hanging in the balance made the stakes feel huge. Man, I wish Juzang would have pulled up on that drive. Cronin does a good job of teaching them to take those easy little jumpers rather than barreling on in, but instinct took over.

It at least ranks right up there with all of the other storied games of the past. UK/Duke in 92 was bananas. I thought Sean Woods had won IU the title when he hit that high banker. Villanova over Georgetown in 85 I think was probaly my favorite though until tonight.

Ole Cronin's a pretty good coach..... but lets see how he does once Alfords recruits are gone:p
Agree, Juzang should have pulled up before Timme at the end of regulation. A damn near half court shot to win a FF game with an undefeated record: epic. Tough to beat Laettner and Smart game winners.

How many good coaches with local ties have been to the FF lately? Mick, Stevens, Thad. Mick is another exhibit in the argument against Alford.

Bruins had a great game plan for this opponent. I wonder how much Lewis had to do with creating it.

Hope he wasn’t the one that decided switching high ball screens was a good idea. It likely cost them a chance to win this game. Seems like a small thing, and it still took a miracle 3 to beat them...but they probably win in regulation, and certainly have a bigger lead in OT, if they had adjusted and played those high ball screens better.

I guess it’s obviously possible Suggs and Nembhart would have made the play off the screen. But I’ll take my chances with that rather than two obvious mismatch opportunities those switches created for Gonzaga...basically every possession coming down the stretch and overtime.

Ucla barely made the tourney, and Mich State had them down 14 in the play- in game.

They just got hot and things started clicking at the right time. And Juzang started playing next- level.
True, but in fairness to the Bruins, they lost 1st team All-PAC player Chris Smith a quarter of the way through the season, then lost the back-up man half way through the season. With Riley the only playable big left on the team and no Smith, they did well to hold it together at all. Smith is the only senior on the team too, so they'll highly ranked coming into next season.

True, but in fairness to the Bruins, they lost 1st team All-PAC player Chris Smith a quarter of the way through the season, then lost the back-up man half way through the season. With Riley the only playable big left on the team and no Smith, they did well to hold it together at all. Smith is the only senior on the team too, so they'll highly ranked coming into next season.
Juzang will leave early. And without him they’re back on the bubble most likely.

Agree, Juzang should have pulled up before Timme at the end of regulation. A damn near half court shot to win a FF game with an undefeated record: epic. Tough to beat Laettner and Smart game winners.

How many good coaches with local ties have been to the FF lately? Mick, Stevens, Thad. Mick is another exhibit in the argument against Alford.
As a fan of Alford's, I see it from a different angle. With the exception of Juzang (and that's a big exception) every player that played for UCLA tonight either played for Alford or was brought to UCLA by Alford including the two missing pieces (Smith and Hill). The year Alford got fired it was UCLA's youngest team in history. I kept saying back then "He's probably going to fired this season, but he's leaving the next guy a really good group of players" or something to that effect.

I'm well aware that almost nobody else will see it the way I do and that's okay, but it's most definitely a roster constructed by Alford and that can't be denied.

Miley Cyrus cover band performances Rock. I have You Tube music videos of her doing Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Joan Jett, Zombie. She did not disappoint in between games. Thought she might be the highlight of the FF until Gonzaga and UCLA played one of the best college games on could hope for. Won't say it was the best because there have been some really good ones and time makes you forget.

I guess Cunningham will be the first player in the draft but I don't see how anyone can pass on Suggs. What a young leader. He does it all on both sides of the ball. That block on Rilley then retrieving the ball then leading the break then making a great pass for the layup in a 3-4 second period was incredible only to be followed up by that game winner.

And yet they won 30 games and lost zero. And last time I looked all of the Big Ten teams are out of the tournament.
A perfect season by the Zags, if it happens, doesn't diminish what IU accomplished in any way. That IU team is one of the best ever.
But I hope the Zags win and beat Baylor. Go Zags!

• Wow
Reactions: BHAII and 76-1

Bayolr has better guard play. Timme will need 20+ for zags to win.

That's just a fact..
Nobody should expect this to happen in the next year or two. Give it a few recruiting classes at least.

Reactions: asindc
Amazing what efficient, effective offensive basketball looks like. As IU fans, we haven’t seen much of it in recent years. Zags make it look easy whether in transition or half-court. UCLA, not as much, but still very effective especially in half-court. Great game.

Reactions: kkott and 76-1
A perfect season by the Zags, if it happens, doesn't diminish what IU accomplished in any way. That IU team is one of the best ever.
But I hope the Zags win and beat Baylor. Go Zags!
Every champion has that "no way" moment where they could have lost but didn't, we just saw Gonzagas... I'd say the stars are lining up for them.

And yet they won 30 games and lost zero. And last time I looked all of the Big Ten teams are out of the tournament.
Name one team besides BYU in the WCC. It’s easy to win games against marshmallows. No way Zags go undefeated in the big ten.

Name one team besides BYU in the WCC. It’s easy to win games against marshmallows. No way Zags go undefeated in the big ten.
Also, UNC, Duke, UK, and Kansas were all uncharacteristically weak this season. If Gonzaga had to beat two of those four programs this tourney, if they were their usual greatness, could they?

Reactions: ThreeToMakeTwo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT