ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Cherry, CG Junior QB

mk30

Sophomore
Mar 26, 2022
Offered by IU. Sat behind Tayven as a sophomore, lead the Trojans to a 3-peat championship as a junior. Should have a tremendous senior year. True pocket passer. Your guess is as good as mine if he'd fit a dual-threat qb.

Reactions: red hornet
Offered by IU. Sat behind Tayven as a sophomore, lead the Trojans to a 3-peat championship as a junior. Should have a tremendous senior year. True pocket passer. Your guess is as good as mine if he'd fit a dual-threat qb.
Coach Allen said previously that QBs with ability to escape the rush then this year said a dual-threat qb. Whatever IU wants they need to be consistent so the offense doesn't have to change as new QBs come in.

Coach Allen said previously that QBs with ability to escape the rush then this year said a dual-threat qb. Whatever IU wants they need to be consistent so the offense doesn't have to change as new QBs come in.
I think the reality is that coach Allen is saying we need a quarterback who doesn't have to rely on his offensive line - plain and simple. I don't think there's any strategy here. It's a simple reality.

I have to give basilac credit for being able to survive this gauntlet. Nobody else lasted more than a couple of games. And that's why you have to question why anybody else would want to submit themselves to this burden.

I think the reality is that coach Allen is saying we need a quarterback who doesn't have to rely on his offensive line - plain and simple. I don't think there's any strategy here. It's a simple reality.

I have to give basilac credit for being able to survive this gauntlet. Nobody else lasted more than a couple of games. And that's why you have to question why anybody else would want to submit themselves to this burden.
I love how you're just assuming the line will continue to be awful, ad infinitum, despite the fact that we brought in a very well-respected line coach and the players we have in that position group were players other teams wanted as recruits.

It isn't like our linemen are a hopelessly poor set of young men. They lacked adequate position coaching and, perhaps even more importantly, they lacked confidence, and who could blame them? What with the constant criticism, extending even as far as television commentators at times, they received and the struggles to produce, their collective psyche couldn't have been in a good place. The fact that you could very clearly see them improve as a group over the back end of the season under Coach Carey shows that the players were not the problem, and that they have potential to be a solid set of players.

I love how you're just assuming the line will continue to be awful, ad infinitum, despite the fact that we brought in a very well-respected line coach and the players we have in that position group were players other teams wanted as recruits.

It isn't like our linemen are a hopelessly poor set of young men. They lacked adequate position coaching and, perhaps even more importantly, they lacked confidence, and who could blame them? What with the constant criticism, extending even as far as television commentators at times, they received and the struggles to produce, their collective psyche couldn't have been in a good place. The fact that you could very clearly see them improve as a group over the back end of the season under Coach Carey shows that the players were not the problem, and that they have potential to be a solid set of players.
Well said, I amazed that coach Allen brings in one of the best OL coaches in the country and people here refuse to believe the OL will be better. I hope after this season, many of them are eating crow and are honest enough to say they were wrong about the OL.

Don't doubt he will make them better run blockers but can he make pass pro improvement. Badgers throw per sack ratio was not very good a year ago

Well said, I amazed that coach Allen brings in one of the best OL coaches in the country and people here refuse to believe the OL will be better. I hope after this season, many of them are eating crow and are honest enough to say they were wrong about the OL.
I expect the OL to be better but that doesn't change the fact that we would still be better served to have a QB who can run. A running QB in the college game is a huge huge benefit. Even the top teams in the country prefer to have a guy who can make something out of nothing with his legs.

I expect the OL to be better but that doesn't change the fact that we would still be better served to have a QB who can run. A running QB in the college game is a huge huge benefit. Even the top teams in the country prefer to have a guy who can make something out of nothing with his legs.
In High school coaching I always preferred a running QB when we had one. They create big problems for defenses. When we won the state title I started a sophomore dual threat QB over a senior without the same skills but good arm and dependable. I knew the young QB would struggle early but it was worth the wait as he really created problems for defense on the way to the state championship.

In High school coaching I always preferred a running QB when we had one. They create big problems for defenses. When we won the state title I started a sophomore dual threat QB over a senior without the same skills but good arm and dependable. I knew the young QB would struggle early but it was worth the wait as he really created problems for defense on the way to the state championship.
Yes, so we can assume Walt Bell is aware of this as well, which implies Coach Cary's OL improvement was huge for Indiana's offense with Dexter behind the wheel. I believe we'll see similar results from Coach Bostad.

I asked the other day but you probably missed it: What do you consider to be Coach Bostad’s biggest strengths as an O line coach?
1. Player Development
2. Identifying scheme that best uses players strengths/skills
3. Identifying talent

Reactions: midwolfe
what school was that ?

Back of what line???
This kid is extremely talented. His grandfather played FB at IU, his uncle played baseball at IU & his mom is an IU grad. He loves IU & CTA!
He played three sports which included track so he has speed to run the ball. He left UT because of the 5* QB they brought in behind him. He can throw the ball and has experience winning championships playing against the best players in the state.

ADVERTISEMENT