ADVERTISEMENT

TX gov. taking over Houston school system (8th largest in U.S.)

A

anon_6hv78pr714xta

Wow.

This might be a case of the dog that caught the car. All well and good to blame inner city school failures on Dems, but now he's taking direct responsibility for future results. This should be fascinating to watch unfold. I'm guessing they'll try to shut down some of the failing public schools and open a bunch of charters?

Is Abbott contemplating a presidential run?

Alas, it appears a much more rationale process than what the critics are characterizing it as:

Morath (head of Texas Education Agency) says the changes will happen sometime in June.

"It’s important to frame this the way the law is structured. I’m not the one leading HISD,” Morath told KHOU 11 anchor Len Cannon. “What we’re doing under this intervention is we are choosing nine individuals who are Houstonians who will be the Board of Managers and they will assume all the powers and duties of the elected school board, so it’s essentially a shift in local control from the current locally elected board to an appointed board of nine. They then have all of the duties and obligations to govern the school system like any governing body in the State of Texas, so they’ll oversee the superintendent. They’ll set strategic direction. They’ll set a budget. Their job as a team is to be focused like a laser on the needs of students above all else.”

When proficiency in the 3Rs are no longer the center of the elected school district‘s board, what’s a Governor to do?

Were a county sheriff not enforcing the law would they get replaced.

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978
What we’re doing under this intervention is we are choosing nine individuals who are Houstonians who will be the Board of Managers and they will assume all the powers and duties of the elected school board, so it’s essentially a shift in local control from the current locally elected board to an appointed board of nine

And you hear Republicans bitch about consent orders. No, they're responsible. They're choosing the new managers. I'm not buying their bullshit about "it's only a shift in LOCAL control". No, you don't get to gild the lily at this point.

Reactions: Baller23Boogie
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT