ADVERTISEMENT

Two takeaways

IUNY

Freshman
Sep 8, 2013
Stephen Carr looks like an all-Big Ten back to me. As long as the OL holds its blocks long enough for him to clear scrimmage, he can do some tremendous things in the open field. He cuts really well for a big guy, he looks to smash tacklers, and he has enough speed to take it to the house.

Second, yes, Mike Penix had a nice game and completed several clutch throws, particularly to Ty Fryfogle and Peyton Hendershot. But I think we are throwing too many sideline passes to guys who are tightly covered. I'd like to see some shots around 30-40 yards down the middle of the field, on some curl routes. It's not that those sideline passes can't be completed, it's just that percentagewise, they're harder to complete.

Stephen Carr looks like an all-Big Ten back to me. As long as the OL holds its blocks long enough for him to clear scrimmage, he can do some tremendous things in the open field. He cuts really well for a big guy, he looks to smash tacklers, and he has enough speed to take it to the house.

Second, yes, Mike Penix had a nice game and completed several clutch throws, particularly to Ty Fryfogle and Peyton Hendershot. But I think we are throwing too many sideline passes to guys who are tightly covered. I'd like to see some shots around 30-40 yards down the middle of the field, on some curl routes. It's not that those sideline passes can't be completed, it's just that percentagewise, they're harder to complete.

Carr is solid, but you're rating him way too high. Solid speed, avg power. Best thing about him is that he doesn't fumble. Michigan has two guys who are better, OSU one. Walker at MSU is better. Carr's about at the same level as the guys from Iowa, MN and Wisconsin. So, possibly top 1/3 or so in the league. Maybe HM ABT.

I do wish the hell that they'd throw the ball to him out of the backfield. Our OC has no clue.

Carr is solid, but you're rating him way too high. Solid speed, avg power. Best thing about him is that he doesn't fumble. Michigan has two guys who are better, OSU one. Walker at MSU is better. Carr's about at the same level as the guys from Iowa, MN and Wisconsin. So, possibly top 1/3 or so in the league. Maybe HM ABT.

I do wish the hell that they'd throw the ball to him out of the backfield. Our OC has no clue.
Depends on who's blocking for them. Put Carr behind Iowa's, MSU's or even UM's line and what does he do? Put their guys behind IU's OL and what do they do?

Two things I'm surprised about with Carr are (1) his elusiveness in the open field. I'm just used to seeing that from an Indiana uniform, and (2) his apparent lack of explosive speed. He seems to be quick, but not that fast . . . .

Reactions: vesuvius13
Depends on who's blocking for them. Put Carr behind Iowa's, MSU's or even UM's line and what does he do? Put their guys behind IU's OL and what do they do?

Two things I'm surprised about with Carr are (1) his elusiveness in the open field. I'm just used to seeing that from an Indiana uniform, and (2) his apparent lack of explosive speed. He seems to be quick, but not that fast . . . .

The two things that I like about Carr is the elusiveness you already talked about but the second thing is he always finishes his runs hard. He finds the hole and he goes. He's not the fastest back we've seen but he'll punish a db in a heartbeat.

The two things that I like about Carr is the elusiveness you already talked about but the second thing is he always finishes his runs hard. He finds the hole and he goes. He's not the fastest back we've seen but he'll punish a db in a heartbeat.
Would be nice to blend Tevin's speed into Carr . . . and Carr's elusiveness and punishing power into Tevin . . . .

Last edited:
Nobody's mentioned Myles Marshall. I thought he had a very good game, primarily as a possession receiver. Nice complement to Fryfogle.

I don't know what he's doing in practices but he had a great game catching tough balls last year vs. Ohio State too. I would assume DJ Matthews takes his medical redshirt and returns next year with Penix but Marshall has a chance to be the "go-to" guy if he can step up.

Carr is an upgrade in the RBs IU had coming into this season. It will be interesting to see who coach McCollough brings in as starting with Payne looks like an upgrade. IU does have a real burner in the freshman class with Holloman and a bruiser with Holloway.

Carr is an upgrade in the RBs IU had coming into this season. It will be interesting to see who coach McCollough brings in as starting with Payne looks like an upgrade. IU does have a real burner in the freshman class with Holloman and a bruiser with Holloway.
I'm really looking forward to watching Payne come in here and blossom in the RB room.

I was thinking about the RB room earlier today and it wouldn't surprise me if Allen doesn't pursue another transfer for that room. Carr has worked out pretty good, it wouldn't be a bad idea to bring in a quality transfer if available.

Carr gets to prove ABT potential on the field, Saturday.
The number of Penn State defenders that whiff Saturday,
the number of YAC,
and the number of defenders he outruns Saturday, should give us a good clue.

PSU often has outstanding team speed on defense.
The O-line needs to make some holes, or Carr could look pedestrian.
(Parsons won’t be on the field again this year).

Above all, let’s pray Carr starts 13 games, this season.
PS.
https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-...-carr-a-great-fit-for-tom-allens-leo-culture/

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT