ADVERTISEMENT

Two Quick Questions

SixthFlagComing

Freshman
Dec 15, 2012
1) Is the amount of turnover (player changes, coaching changes, etc.) in our Hoosier program this offseason: a) a normal amount, b) an above average amount c) a below average amount.

2) After all of the changes, is the Hoosier program: a) about the same as before the changes, b) better off than before the changes, c) worse off than before the changes.

I know the jury may still be out a little bit with the Hagen news, but I'm curious about your opinions at this point.

To me, it feels like we've had an above average amount of change and I think after everything is taken into account, the quality of the program is about the same. I hated losing Deboer who I thought was great at calling games, but I think we may have picked up a few coaches who can help us more with recruiting. We lose some really good players (the Cronk to Iowa thing still sticks in my craw) and I'm not sure the incoming class, when they are seniors will be as impactful as the guys we lose.

What are your thoughts?

1) Is the amount of turnover (player changes, coaching changes, etc.) in our Hoosier program this offseason: a) a normal amount, b) an above average amount c) a below average amount.

2) After all of the changes, is the Hoosier program: a) about the same as before the changes, b) better off than before the changes, c) worse off than before the changes.

I know the jury may still be out a little bit with the Hagen news, but I'm curious about your opinions at this point.

To me, it feels like we've had an above average amount of change and I think after everything is taken into account, the quality of the program is about the same. I hated losing Deboer who I thought was great at calling games, but I think we may have picked up a few coaches who can help us more with recruiting. We lose some really good players (the Cronk to Iowa thing still sticks in my craw) and I'm not sure the incoming class, when they are seniors will be as impactful as the guys we lose.

What are your thoughts?
I think the turnover in players is probably about average or even a bit below average.
However,the coaching turnover is probably above average.
It’s going to be an important spring and summer getting the new coaches settled in.

Yes, and the transfer portal could become a sieve if first-time transfers are immediately eligible as is being discussed in CF

Reactions: vesuvius13
No data to rely on, but I feel like the player turnover is less than average. The only sure-fire starter who left that I can think of is Cronk. Behind him, Ramsey was a contributor, but couldn't necessarily pencil him in as such because can't predict MP's rehab/future/health. The next biggest contributor to leave was probably Gest, and he was getting buried on the depth chart. After them, it seems like a lot of youth has been sticking with the program.

I'd be more worried if we started losing guys like Ronnie Walker. He's not been a focal point by any stretch, but has gotten meaningful snaps and has been under-utilized compared to his star ranking. He'd seem like the kind of guy that would be a justifiable transfer.

It seems like coaching turnover has been above average, but I don't have any frame of reference as to whether this is normal with semi-successful teams.

No data to rely on, but I feel like the player turnover is less than average. The only sure-fire starter who left that I can think of is Cronk. Behind him, Ramsey was a contributor, but couldn't necessarily pencil him in as such because can't predict MP's rehab/future/health. The next biggest contributor to leave was probably Gest, and he was getting buried on the depth chart. After them, it seems like a lot of youth has been sticking with the program.

I'd be more worried if we started losing guys like Ronnie Walker. He's not been a focal point by any stretch, but has gotten meaningful snaps and has been under-utilized compared to his star ranking. He'd seem like the kind of guy that would be a justifiable transfer.

It seems like coaching turnover has been above average, but I don't have any frame of reference as to whether this is normal with semi-successful teams.
I also wouldn’t assume player attrition is done .

Right, Ronnie Walker just entered the transfer portal
Lol (not at the situation, just the timing). Looks like I called that play about 15 minutes too early. Unfortunate because I think he'd have been a good 3rd down back.

Do you guys think this means Baldwin makes the 3 deep, Ahrod Lloyd so Baldwin can keep his RS, or someone else (Ellis maybe) sees some time back there? I have to think Allen would prefer to RS Baldwin to get some distance in classes between the top RBs since Scott & James are only a year apart.

I agree with your comments, but a lot of this depends on several factors, like injuries to Scott &/or James & how good he actually turns out to be as backup.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and TMFT
Lol (not at the situation, just the timing). Looks like I called that play about 15 minutes too early. Unfortunate because I think he'd have been a good 3rd down back.

Do you guys think this means Baldwin makes the 3 deep, Ahrod Lloyd so Baldwin can keep his RS, or someone else (Ellis maybe) sees some time back there? I have to think Allen would prefer to RS Baldwin to get some distance in classes between the top RBs since Scott & James are only a year apart.

My thought would be Baldwin won't RS if he is capable of being the 3rd back.

What are your thoughts?
Could be more after Spring practice.

What are your thoughts?
I think that with the opening up of the portal, it makes comparing this year with past years a difficult comparison since the baselines are determined so differently. I think we will have a "new" definition of average in years ahead.

As someone else said, when it comes to the staff, it's not a bad thing that other schools want our coaches. That means we're doing something right.

As far as players go, with the portal still something rather new, I think this is something that we'll see going forward. If guys don't get in the rotation there first year or two, we'll see them dash suspect.

We'll poach some kids and some kids will leave. It'll all even out in the end.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Don't feel like we've had that many (seems like Stanford & Penn St were in double digits). Ramsey was a starter (due to injury) as was Cronk (prior to injury) but none of the others who're in portal were big time contributors really. Not only do I wish them well but it can be a blessing in disguise to clear up scholly space for the new higher level of talent we might be getting now at IU.

Per coaches, I think it's working out nicely. Inge was great guy/good recruiter, but c'mon, hardly was fantastic as STC. Hagen was good, seemed to be okay recruiter, but maybe was just his family was in TX, but I think he wanted DC and he looked "not 100% heart in it enthused" to me this year and a chance now for fresh blood there.

DeBoer got a HC gig, which is total testament to IU program/job he did.

And I'm enthused about new Safety coach, Wright with his IN/IMG ties and whoever the next DL coach we get.

I'm also bullish that Sheridan will be a good, young innovative coach who learned a lot from last season with DeBoer.

And finally, really hope Allen will continue to grow into the HC job in terms of game management, overall leadership, and ability to attract, retain and hire further great coaches ahead when others leave per the natural and normal path of the coaching profession.

Don't feel like we've had that many (seems like Stanford & Penn St were in double digits). Ramsey was a starter (due to injury) as was Cronk (prior to injury) but none of the others who're in portal were big time contributors really. Not only do I wish them well but it can be a blessing in disguise to clear up scholly space for the new higher level of talent we might be getting now at IU.

Per coaches, I think it's working out nicely. Inge was great guy/good recruiter, but c'mon, hardly was fantastic as STC. Hagen was good, seemed to be okay recruiter, but maybe was just his family was in TX, but I think he wanted DC and he looked "not 100% heart in it enthused" to me this year and a chance now for fresh blood there.

And I'm enthused about new Safety coach, Wright with his IN/IMG ties and whoever the next DL coach we get.

I'm also bullish that Sheridan will be a good, young innovative coach who learned a lot from last season with DeBoer.

And finally, really hope Allen will continue to grow into the HC job in terms of game management, overall leadership, and ability to attract, retain and hire further great coaches ahead when others leave per the natural and normal path of the coaching profession.
Agree and like what you said. One small point, Wright is the TE coach and Jones is the new safeties coach.

The portal has made roster management very difficult for some and great for others. Let’s face, there has always been a concern that teams run off players and it really has been limited by the stigma attached it it. Now that the portal exists it will become rampant IMHO. The good teams will dictate certain transfers from bottom feeder or fair to middling programs. How will anyone be able to police whether somebody leaves because of illegal contact, or just unhappiness with their status. If there are 2,000 in the transfer portal this year look for that number to grow. The number of four or five year players will shrink even more. It isn’t going to be pretty. Monitoring potential transfers will become almost as important as initial recruiting. Think about it, when you recruit any high school kid you have some degree of uncertainty as to their ability to acclimate to college and high quality football. After 1 or 2 years of college you know who the players are and if they are at a school that can not win championships they will have Blue Blood bullseyes on their backs. Sad day for the great sport of college football.

Last edited:

What are your thoughts?

I think what you see now is a result of IUFB success. We have MORE players now with the ability to play at other places and even start. In the past we really didn’t have a two deep that could start at other schools. We do now. The whole Cronk thing doesn’t bother me. I am not a line coach but I have not been impressed by his 4 years. He has been a functional linemen. But he is replaceable in a big way. The truth is, he would have gone to Purdue if they had recruited him at all....

until we start winning our Bowl games consistently, our success will not be enough to keep the backups on the roster that can play elsewhere. Just an opinion.

Special teams up through Purdue was really good. Why comment how that unit was coached as if it wasn't good?

Special teams up through Purdue was really good. Why comment how that unit was coached as if it wasn't good?

Over the two years Inge was STC, I don’t think one could honestly say IU special teams were special. His first season was so shaky, some felt he could have lost his job.

Second year was better, but the “fake punt debacle” combined with virtually no punt or kick off return game and then ending with the on side kick debacle in Gator Bowl?

inge a great guy and strong recruiter, but don’t think he crushed it as STC.

ADVERTISEMENT