ADVERTISEMENT

Two Questions - Is there anybody on this site that doesn’t want Brad Stevens as the next IU a basketball coach??? (IU fans only)

Matta enjoyed more than some success after leaving Butler. And Holtmann has done quite well for himself at Ohio State. Butler was solid under Matta and Lickliter but Stevens took it to a level that no coach after him has been able to replicate.

Holtman's success has been very so - so there by OSU standards, and he's 31-29 there in the B10 after his 1st season where he was using inherited players.

Matta had very good success at X and OSU, but was slipping some his last 4 yrs at OSU.

he had 2 real good NCAA runs, one lead by the Conley, Oden, Cook, package deal recruiting get, where he was effectively the home school coach for all 3, as Cook was an OSU guy from Dayton, and Matta was coach at Butler when Conley and Oden were growing up.

but as i've noted before, i judge OSU differently, as OSU has a big built in recruiting advantage over the rest of the B10, and much of the country, due to their being the home school for an entire state twice the population of Indiana, with no major in state rival at all to deal with for fan base or recruits..

no other school in the country has that, and IU suffers from the exact opposite numbers issue, being one of 3 major schools in a state half the size of Ohio, with much of the population being in parts of the state where IU is not the home school for the local media, and often not even the 2nd school for regions where a lot of the population is.

and good home state recruiting brings good out of state recruiting with it.

i kind of see OSU as the college version of the 5,000 enrollment high school who plays in a conference where no other HS has more than 2,000 students.

they just always have a much bigger home base to pick from.

why OSU has been good in most sports most of my life, going back to Lucas/Havlicek, then Bill Hosket thru to today in bball.

that said, Matta did do very well there his first 2/3rds of his time there..

he also has to get credit for continuing Butler's extended streak that spanned several coaches, of whom he was the only one who's success really followed him to other schools.

again though, he was trending down when he left OSU.

i'll admit others are bigger on Matta than i, but maybe that's a me thing.

if it's not Stevens, i still think Wittman would be my first choice by far, but no idea if he'd even take it now.

i see Wittman as the best combination of cred/bling for recruiting, and an X and Os coaching background from a who's who of coaches he has played or coached under.

that said, Dolson and IU's bball alum base know as much as anyone regarding who would be a great fit, and have direct experience with some good candidates no doubt.

direct knowledge shouldn't be discounted, and is what was used in bringing up Tom Allen to head coach.

glad Dolson says he and IU's inherant bball brain trust will make the call, and hope they go with their gut.

Last edited:
Dolson and the boosters know this is their last chance to resuscitate the program. They have to land a big fish.

I never understand this hyperbole. Do I really, really, really want the next guy to be the right guy, yes. But, to say this is THE last chance?

Every school with means is just one hire away from being a top program. Will it be harder the longer IU meddles around, probably. Heck, it may already be there. But ask yourself, who was Syracuse before Boeheim, UConn before Calhoun? Want more recent? Who was Gonzaga? I'm sure Bennett was selling recruits on the two F4s in the early 80s. Baylor? c'mon.

Reactions: asindc
problem you have he is not going to quit or get fired in the middle of a season, are we going to wait till june? how the hell can you recruit all the transfers with no head coach this summer? if we wait for his season to play out and he doesn't come then what the hell do you? has there ever been a nba coach go to the college ranks under similar circumstances? if were not careful could end up with a team like creans 1st year, dont know if i could live through that crap again.

OSU didn’t hire Holtmann until June.

Who honestly thinks someone wrote a check for $10 million just so we could go hire Dane Fife or insert anyone not Brad Stevens. That makes zero sense, nobody was writing checks to get rid of Crean cause Brad Stevens wasn’t even a consideration.
Or possibly Beard

Holtman's success has been very so - so there by OSU standards, and he's 31-29 there in the B10 after his 1st season where he was using inherited players.

Matta had very good success at X and OSU, but was slipping some his last 4 yrs at OSU.

he had 2 real good NCAA runs, one lead by the Conley, Oden, Cook, package deal recruiting get, where he was effectively the home school coach for all 3, as Cook was an OSU guy from Dayton, and Matta was coach at Butler when Conley and Oden were growing up.

but as i've noted before, i judge OSU differently, as OSU has a big built in recruiting advantage over the rest of the B10, and much of the country, due to their being the home school for an entire state twice the population of Indiana, with no major in state rival at all to deal with for fan base or recruits..

no other school in the country has that, and IU suffers from the exact opposite numbers issue, being one of 3 major schools in a state half the size of Ohio, with much of the population being in parts of the state where IU is not the home school for the local media, and often not even the 2nd school for regions where a lot of the population is.

and good home state recruiting brings good out of state recruiting with it.

i kind of see OSU as the college version of the 5,000 enrollment high school who plays in a conference where no other HS has more than 2,000 students.

they just always have a much bigger home base to pick from.

why OSU has been good in most sports most of my life, going back to Lucas/Havlicek, then Bill Hosket thru to today in bball.

that said, Matta did do very well there his first 2/3rds of his time there..

he also has to get credit for continuing Butler's extended streak that spanned several coaches, of whom he was the only one who's success really followed him to other schools.

again though, he was trending down when he left OSU.

i'll admit others are bigger on Matta than i, but maybe that's a me thing.

if it's not Stevens, i still think Wittman would be my first choice by far, but no idea if he'd even take it now.

i see Wittman as the best combination of cred/bling for recruiting, and an X and Os coaching background from a who's who of coaches he has played or coached under.

that said, Dolson and IU's bball alum base know as much as anyone regarding who would be a great fit, and have direct experience with some good candidates no doubt.

direct knowledge shouldn't be discounted, and is what was used in bringing up Tom Allen to head coach.

glad Dolson says he and IU's inherant bball brain trust will make the call, and hope they go with their gut.
#1. OSU is a football factory that benefits from tremendous revenue that helps basketball. This is lost on many posters who think that football and basketball are mutually exclusive. IU is actually around #27 in sports revenue nationally while OSU is # 3 nationally.

2. OSU has 5 guys on their roster and I’m not sure any of them get a whole lot of playing time?

Because I would support backing the full bank truck up to his porch to drop off 8-10 year deal worth $50M+.

I’m a pretty patient person. Stuck with Crean until his last couple years. Stuck with Archie until the last few weeks of this year, and would have cooled down enough to support him next year.

Question for you all though... Would you be willing to fully support Brad over his tenure, regardless of the outcome? Because so many on this forum have zero patience.
Can't think of anyone close who could bring IU back to where we should be. He knows how to coach, motivate and players love him, has experience & truly understands Indiana basketball & what it means to the state. Recruiting would be so easy, & he would be at top of transfer pool. If IU doesn't right the ship soon, it will turn into firing RMK was our jinx, similar to the goat curse of Chicago. No one here can probably outlive a 71 year curse. Might be on his way, 2 game losing streak, fans already grumbling.

Anyone else seen this article or listen to the podcast?

Interesting, but no big revelations or anything. Basically, it’s geared for people that think there absolutely no chance that Stevens would even consider the IU job. The guy isn’t really optimistic that Stevens actually takes the job, but just that Stevens would certainly entertain the idea.

factors probably come down to what Stevens impressions of his job security are in Boston and how invested he is in staying in the NBA.

Anyone else seen this article or listen to the podcast?

Thanks for this link. The stars are aligned and I believe we have hit the lottery and he will be our next coach, the first worthy of the honor since RMK.

Interesting, but no big revelations or anything. Basically, it’s geared for people that think there absolutely no chance that Stevens would even consider the IU job. The guy isn’t really optimistic that Stevens actually takes the job, but just that Stevens would certainly entertain the idea.

factors probably come down to what Stevens impressions of his job security are in Boston and how invested he is in staying in the NBA.
Thanks for this link. The stars are aligned and I believe we have hit the lottery and he will be our next coach, the first worthy of the honor since RMK.

the posters on this board believe in 2 main qualifications for the next IU coach.

1), he has to have coached at Butler first.

2), no one who ever played for IU can possibly be the guy. (except Fife, who has been an assistant at MSU for ten yrs with barely marginal head coaching experience, yet gets a bizarre amount of love here now).

that said, what's strange, is all those who are OCD level madly infatuated with former Butler coaches, would have all fought to the death Butler hiring any of those coaches in the first place, as all were promoted from being Butler assistants, and Holtmann was the only guy who had ever even been a head coach before, and had a losing record then.

the posters on this board believe in 2 main qualifications for the next IU coach.

1), he has to have coached at Butler first.

2), no one who ever played for IU can possibly be the guy. (except Fife, who has been an assistant at MSU for ten yrs with barely marginal head coaching experience, yet gets a bizarre amount of love here now).

that said, what's strange, is all those who are OCD level madly infatuated with former Butler coaches, would have all fought to the death Butler hiring any of those coaches in the first place, as all were promoted from being Butler assistants, and Holtmann was the only guy who had ever even been a head coach before, and had a losing record then.
I don’t agree with your qualifications nor your comments. Sorry but count me in total disagreement with your post.

Who are you proposing?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT