ADVERTISEMENT

Two Questions - Is there anybody on this site that doesn’t want Brad Stevens as the next IU a basketball coach??? (IU fans only)

rocketo

All-American
Feb 23, 2007
Because I would support backing the full bank truck up to his porch to drop off 8-10 year deal worth $50M+.

I’m a pretty patient person. Stuck with Crean until his last couple years. Stuck with Archie until the last few weeks of this year, and would have cooled down enough to support him next year.

Question for you all though... Would you be willing to fully support Brad over his tenure, regardless of the outcome? Because so many on this forum have zero patience.

Reactions: Univee2
Yes IU gets (I’ll say it now) CBS and we have the best coach in the country in the best state in the country!

• Haha
Reactions: Nieman
problem you have he is not going to quit or get fired in the middle of a season, are we going to wait till june? how the hell can you recruit all the transfers with no head coach this summer? if we wait for his season to play out and he doesn't come then what the hell do you? has there ever been a nba coach go to the college ranks under similar circumstances? if were not careful could end up with a team like creans 1st year, dont know if i could live through that crap again.

problem you have he is not going to quit or get fired in the middle of a season, are we going to wait till june? how the hell can you recruit all the transfers with no head coach this summer? if we wait for his season to play out and he doesn't come then what the hell do you? has there ever been a nba coach go to the college ranks under similar circumstances? if were not careful could end up with a team like creans 1st year, dont know if i could live through that crap again.
You wait for Stevens, if the Celtics season continues to fade maybe he resigns like Pitino did.....

I'm a contrarian by nature, but Stevens to IU would inspire me to get back to living a healthier lifestyle so I could watch many more years of hoops. No more binge drinking and comfort food eating my way through inexplicably long basketball seasons in my smoke filled basement, surrounded by "dead soldiers" and dried out tater tots.

However, if he shows limited progress through 4 years, I'm not above cannibalizing him or whatever Jay Bilas calls it when you call out a loser. There's always another jug of rum and bag of tots to be had:)

Because I would support backing the full bank truck up to his porch to drop off 8-10 year deal worth $50M+.

I’m a pretty patient person. Stuck with Crean until his last couple years. Stuck with Archie until the last few weeks of this year, and would have cooled down enough to support him next year.

Question for you all though... Would you be willing to fully support Brad over his tenure, regardless of the outcome? Because so many on this forum have zero patience.
If IU landed Stevens, I wouldn’t be surprised if it made Stevens the highest paid coach in the NCAA...which means well north of 8 million per year with incentives. If if if if IU has offered that kind of salary to Stevens, one would think he’d have to consider it. If he is offered that and still says no, at least you know we did everything we could to get him. Although I doubt we’d ever know the details of any offers not accepted.

If IU landed Stevens, I wouldn’t be surprised if it made Stevens the highest paid coach in the NCAA...which means well north of 8 million per year with incentives. If if if if IU has offered that kind of salary to Stevens, one would think he’d have to consider it. If he is offered that and still says no, at least you know we did everything we could to get him. Although I doubt we’d ever know the details of any offers not accepted.

However this plays out if someone like a John Feinstein could ever get all the actors to talk there would be one hell of an entertaining book somewhere down the line. When you hear things like Pitino wanted the job in 2001 and Beilein was close when Crean was hired you have to wonder about all the back stories.

Reactions: IUgradman

Here’s the thing. Brad is the chosen one. Basketball Jesus. IU’s savior. So yes, his leash is as long as it needs to be, because if he can‘t win here, no one can. You don’t fire Brad Stevens after 5 years and go after some other schmuck.

I'm a contrarian by nature, but Stevens to IU would inspire me to get back to living a healthier lifestyle so I could watch many more years of hoops. No more binge drinking and comfort food eating my way through inexplicably long basketball seasons in my smoke filled basement, surrounded by "dead soldiers" and dried out tater tots.

However, if he shows limited progress through 4 years, I'm not above cannibalizing him or whatever Jay Bilas calls it when you call out a loser. There's always another jug of rum and bag of tots to be had:)
Why don’t you put t
ok I’m making a big assumption but I think our
Here’s the thing. Brad is the chosen one. Basketball Jesus. IU’s savior. So yes, his leash is as long as it needs to be, because if he can win here, no one can. You don’t fire Brad Stevens after 5 years and go after some other schmuck.
If Stevens can’t win at IU turn Assembly Hall into a UFC stadium and make some cash.

Here’s the thing. Brad is the chosen one. Basketball Jesus. IU’s savior. So yes, his leash is as long as it needs to be, because if he can‘t win here, no one can. You don’t fire Brad Stevens after 5 years and go after some other schmuck.

Maybe Beilein would then be mature enough . . .

• Haha
Reactions: travlinhoosier
Why couldn't he step down. Mid-season changes happen all the time in the NBA

With all the positives and successes of Stevens, part of me wonders if lightning can strike twice with him being in the B1G and at IU. If we believe he is the right fit, we have to stick with him and not question his coaching or recruiting methods. He first has to want to coach in college again. Coaches have returned to college many times. The question is if the timing is right for Stevens to leave the NBA. Let's ask him and see what it would take.

Reactions: rocketo
Why don’t you put t

ok I’m making a big assumption but I think our

If Stevens can’t win at IU turn Assembly Hall into a UFC stadium and make some cash.
Oh, you didn’t hear? They’re turning it into the Midwest’s largest indoor paintball arena.

would totally support hiring Stevens, but anyone thinking that brings guaranteed success with it need think again.

that incredible Butler run that spanned several Butler coaches and culminated with the champ game appearances was a unique happening.

while Matta enjoyed some success post Butler, for the most part neither Butler nor Gonzaga success has traveled well with the coaches who left those unique situations.

that said, i have a problem with hiring any coach who requires the "back up the Brinks truck" recruiting strategy.

those hires have a problematic exit strategy when they don't work out, and we need someone who actually wants to be here for reasons other than money, as that's what the coach will be selling to recruits, and the max the money guys can never get enough.

my other issue with Stevens, is will the NBA always be a lure for him even if he does come.

the situation couldn't have been any better for him than at Butler, where he wasn't exactly making min wage, yet he still left.

again, he would be as good a hire as any, but there are no sure things, and if IU is the job he wants, we shouldn't need the oversized Brinks truck, but just the standard sized one.

would totally support hiring Stevens, but anyone thinking that brings guaranteed success with it need think again.

that incredible Butler run that spanned several Butler coaches and culminated with the champ game appearances was a unique happening.

while Matta enjoyed some success post Butler, for the most part neither Butler nor Gonzaga success has traveled well with the coaches who left those unique situations.

that said, i have a problem with hiring any coach who requires the "back up the Brinks truck" recruiting strategy.

those hires have a problematic exit strategy when they don't work out, and we need someone who actually wants to be here for reasons other than money, as that's what the coach will be selling to recruits, and the max the money guys can never get enough.

my other issue with Stevens, is will the NBA always be a lure for him even if he does come.

the situation couldn't have been any better for him than at Butler, where he wasn't exactly making min wage, yet he still left.

again, he would be as good a hire as any, but there are no sure things, and if IU is the job he wants, we shouldn't need the oversized Brinks truck, but just the standard sized one.

no disrespect to Butler, but there is a HUGE difference between coaching at IU and coaching at Butler. Who was the last coach at IU that left that wasn’t fired? Obviously can’t say the same about Butler.

Worth it IMO

I've never rooted as hard as now for the Celtics to lose and they lost to Utah tonight. Sorry Brad but I'll make it up to you and root for you to win when you come to Bloomington.
No kidding. I’m with ya.

Matta enjoyed more than some success after leaving Butler. And Holtmann has done quite well for himself at Ohio State. Butler was solid under Matta and Lickliter but Stevens took it to a level that no coach after him has been able to replicate.

Agreed. I seriously can’t imagine a scenario where that dude can’t bring us back to consistent top 3 finishes in the B1G every year.

Reactions: IUgradman
With all the positives and successes of Stevens, part of me wonders if lightning can strike twice with him being in the B1G and at IU. If we believe he is the right fit, we have to stick with him and not question his coaching or recruiting methods. He first has to want to coach in college again. Coaches have returned to college many times. The question is if the timing is right for Stevens to leave the NBA. Let's ask him and see what it would take.
Agree. And at this point, lightning doesn’t have to strike. To be in the hunt year in year out with solid deep runs is enough to continue to push. Tough no days to have a coach go on a CBK run. The game and level of comp isn’t the same as back then. But if BS can’t do it, then might as well roll the dice for our next pick.

Reasoned response.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT