ADVERTISEMENT

Two More Wins

Bowlmania

All-American
Sep 23, 2016
If we beat Purdue and our West Division opponent in Week 9, we should be a lock for a New Year's Six bowl. Let that sink in for a minute.

Indiana University, the laughingstock of college football for decades, has a nationally recognized and respected football team. In fact, after today's game, there's little doubt that we're second only to OSU in the Big Ten. Let that sink in as well.

The turnaround that Tom Allen has engineered in just a few years is nothing short of remarkable. Yes, we went to a few bowls under CKW, and he certainly brought an exciting offense to Bloomington, but we weren't close to being a complete football team during the Wilson era. We are now.

I will always have nothing but respect for what Coach Mal did at IU, but, if we win just one of the two remaining games, we'll eclipse his career-best conference record of 6-2. We're on track for this to be IU's best season in 53 years.

I really can't find the words to express how proud I am of this team, this staff and this head coach. At long last, it's a great time to be a Hoosiers football fan! Thanks, CTA. Please stay 'til you're old and grey!

Last edited:
Didn’t Gary Barnett initially turn the program around in the mid 90s? Maybe Walker followed? Walker was a great coach from Miami like Mal and Hep.

Yes. Barnett turned the program around lead them to the Rose Bowl in either 95 or 96. Walker followed and his tragic death led to the promotion of Fitzgerald. Both Barnett and Walker coached at Miami OH. Believe Hep succeeded Walker at Miami.

When I first heard that our conference was cancelling the season, I told my wife that it would be our luck to have the best team we've had in 30 years and not be able to play.
Better to have the season w/no fans than no season at all! I've had more fun watching this year than ever. Games we definitely used to let slip away? No longer my friend. This defense? Lights out. And I'm very bullish Tuttle is going to continue to thrive as well. Next man up has never been so accurate!

Barry reminds me of Rudy J. (I truly hope Rudy gets well soon. Said he was hospitalized yesterday. I hope this doesn't come across in bad taste. Not intended.) Just remind me of each other.

Better to have the season w/no fans than no season at all! I've had more fun watching this year than ever. Games we definitely used to let slip away? No longer my friend. This defense? Lights out. And I'm very bullish Tuttle is going to continue to thrive as well. Next man up has never been so accurate!
I wish we had fans but hearing things like snap counts, voices, etc is also fun

Reactions: mobilehoosier
Yes. Barnett turned the program around lead them to the Rose Bowl in either 95 or 96. Walker followed and his tragic death led to the promotion of Fitzgerald. Both Barnett and Walker coached at Miami OH. Believe Hep succeeded Walker at Miami.
Like Ara Parsegian (sp?) in the 50s and 60s:" Miami-->NU-->ND.

I keep asking myself why can’t Allen be our Barry Alvarez? Wisconsin was awful and then they weren’t.

Interesting question.

Comparing IU to Iowa & Wisconsin.......

1. Iowa & Wisconsin's histories 1900-1970 were better than ours.....Think Alex Karras, Duke Slater, Niles Kinnick, Randy Duncan, Cal Jones, Gordon Locke, Aubrey Devine for Iowa; Alan Ameche, Pat Richter, Pat Harder, Crazy Legs Hirsch for Wisconsin. Hall of Famers and Heisman winners. Now...both teams did have 20 or so years before Fry & Alvarez came along.....but there will always be that gap.

2. Iowa & Wisconsin football are really important to their respective states. Not the ONLY game in town (ISU, the Packers), but easily the dominant schools in their state. We have Purdue, ranked ahead of us in academics, and the hated Irish to deal with, as well as the Colts. Madison's also a much bigger city than B-Ton, so it's easier to get 80000 there to see a decent team than it is for us to get 50000 here to see a decent team. That's huge for recruits.

3. On the other hand.......even though we share the state with PU & ND, we have a better base for recruiting. Indiana is better than either of those states for recruits and we have talent-rich Ohio right next door (which I feel like we've NEVER really recruited well, even today). Also, v. Wisconsin, we have a significantly warmer location, and a location closer to the southern recruiting grounds than either Iowa or Wisconsin.

4. So bottom line.....no reason why CTA can't be our Alvarez, on one condition....he's gotta dominate Purdue going forward.....the State of Indiana, imo, is not big enough for both schools to be good most of the time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT