ADVERTISEMENT

Two Months 'Til Opening Day: What Do you Think?

You can’t tell me that BloughRedding and Sindelar were not better quarterback and Jones was better than Redding at running back.
Redding at least got a shot at the NFL, signing with KC, then the Bucs the following year. Yes, he was waived, but at least got a shot. Jones didn't even get a sniff. I'd say Redding was better than Jones.

I think Blough and Ramsey are comparable. Smart, tough, accurate, middling arm strength but accurate. Blough just had the better system (Brohm vs DeBord) and better supporting cast (Moore).

I also would not say that our defense has ever been loaded
As a coach, why do you think our defense dropped so much in S&P rating from #25 in 2017 to #75 in 2018?

Is it the players? Can it just be youth in the front 7 like you said? Or is it perhaps the B1G has caught on to CTA's 4-2-5 scheme? Seems like some teams knew exactly how to attack it like Iowa, Minnesota, Maryland and Purdue did? We also gave up 30+ ppg B1G games.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Redding at least got a shot at the NFL, signing with KC, then the Bucs the following year. Yes, he was waived, but at least got a shot. Jones didn't even get a sniff. I'd say Redding was better than Jones.

I think Blough and Ramsey are comparable. Smart, tough, accurate, middling arm strength but accurate. Blough just had the better system (Brohm vs DeBord) and better supporting cast (Moore).
Jones just graduated, right? Do you know for sure he's not going to be in a camp this summer?

I'm sorry, but I'd take Jones any day over Redding

Jones just graduated, right? Do you know for sure he's not going to be in a camp this summer?

I'm sorry, but I'd take Jones any day over Redding
I don't know if he graduated or not. But how many players put off the NFL in order to graduate? Very few do if they get an offer for camp. They can always come back to finish their degrees.

Jones only produced against us an no one else. No one. It's probably just Brohm's system vs Allen's.

As a coach, why do you think our defense dropped so much in S&P rating from #25 in 2017 to #75 in 2018?

Is it the players? Can it just be youth in the front 7 like you said? Or is it perhaps the B1G has caught on to CTA's 4-2-5 scheme? Seems like some teams knew exactly how to attack it like Iowa, Minnesota, Maryland and Purdue did? We also gave up 30+ ppg B1G games.
We played 13 freshman last year on the defense. Teams were attacking inexperience which is understandable.

We played 13 freshman last year on the defense. Teams were attacking inexperience which is understandable.
Yes, that's true. However I only count 5 Freshmen who played significantly on defense (Allen, Burgess, Stallings, Fitzgerald, Williams) . The rest played mostly special teams. Which is good, since they'll have more experience heading into next year. Hopefully all this playing time translates to production next year.

We cant try to downplay it we had a ton of young guys playing quality minutes.
If I was remember right it was the minnesota game where a freshman was playing safety and got burnt over the top on a double move. Not saying that wouldnt have happened to an older guy but it's less likely.

We cant try to downplay it we had a ton of young guys playing quality minutes.
If I was remember right it was the minnesota game where a freshman was playing safety and got burnt over the top on a double move. Not saying that wouldnt have happened to an older guy but it's less likely.
Yea and trying to think of the linebacker who got burned on the slant on numerous occasions. He started cleaning it up at the end but it was a rough stretch.

Cool they beat a big dog but they still havent raised themselves out of mediocrity. They are still 13-13 over the two years with brohm. I'd call that pretty mediocre. My point was yes they beat a team they shouldnt have beat last year but they also lost to teams they shouldnt have lost too. Still very mediocre.

We have lost to teams we should not have lost to on an almost yearly basis. One or two of those games matter little IF YOU PULL OFF SOME UPSETS. I am not a PU fan but their turnaround (even if 13-13) is impressive. It didn't take them four years of recruiting, which is, in itself, impressive. I would suggest most IU fans would be wildly happy with a two season record of 13-13 and two bowl games where we are 1-2. So I guess many IU fans are really just striving for your version of "mediocrity."

Reactions: Hoosier009
We have lost to teams we should not have lost to on an almost yearly basis. One or two of those games matter little IF YOU PULL OFF SOME UPSETS. I am not a PU fan but their turnaround (even if 13-13) is impressive. It didn't take them four years of recruiting, which is, in itself, impressive. I would suggest most IU fans would be wildly happy with a two season record of 13-13 and two bowl games where we are 1-2. So I guess many IU fans are really just striving for your version of "mediocrity."
It's a "what have you done for me lately" world. Nobody cares about the PU/Ohio State game anymore except for Purdue fans, Ohio State fans and internet trolls. At the time, it looked like that game might be a springboard to a special season for Purdue. It wasn't. Their offense was impotent the following week against MSU, they lost three of the next five, and their season ended with a drubbing at the hands of a mediocre Auburn team in what turned out to be one of the most lopsided and humiliating losses in bowl history. And the 63-14 loss to Auburn, which would have been even worse if Auburn hadn't shown 4th quarter mercy, was after Brohmbardi had a month to prepare for the game. Are you kidding me?! Let's see what the great one can do this year after losing much of his offense.

I don't think there are too many here who would be happy with a two-year record of 13-13. After all, .500 is not that much better than .417, which is where we sit after the last two. But IU is a rocket ship, on the launch pad. Look for .500 this year, and then watch out in 2020 and beyond.

in 2019 I think:

--the offense's potential success will probably depend more on the OL play than on the QB play;

--the team's potential success will probably depend more on the defense's play than on the offense's play

Last edited:
The big issue I have with the current two game losing streak to PU is the fact that IU had the better team both years!! That's the big issue I have with TA. It really bites when IU had the better team both years.

He needs to figure out a way to trump PU. It's his job!!!
Out-coached 2 straight years vs PU.

Assuming the non-con games and Rutgers, still need 2 wins
Maryland & Purdue probably the next 2...both on the road + on the road the prior week (Mich State & PSU)
not going to be easy

Agreed it won't be easy but this team will score points. We may win a game or two where we're a significant dog.

Not sure what our offense will be like. We should be better on a whole. It will come down to whether our offense will score TD's when in the red zone or settle for FG's like last year. If we improve our red zone execution that should lead to a couple extra wins which should put us over the top bowl wise. I'm bullish at this point but I am most every year.

It's a "what have you done for me lately" world. Nobody cares about the PU/Ohio State game anymore except for Purdue fans, Ohio State fans and internet trolls. At the time, it looked like that game might be a springboard to a special season for Purdue. It wasn't. Their offense was impotent the following week against MSU, they lost three of the next five, and their season ended with a drubbing at the hands of a mediocre Auburn team in what turned out to be one of the most lopsided and humiliating losses in bowl history. And the 63-14 loss to Auburn, which would have been even worse if Auburn hadn't shown 4th quarter mercy, was after Brohmbardi had a month to prepare for the game. Are you kidding me?! Let's see what the great one can do this year after losing much of his offense.

I don't think there are too many here who would be happy with a two-year record of 13-13. After all, .500 is not that much better than .417, which is where we sit after the last two. But IU is a rocket ship, on the launch pad. Look for .500 this year, and then watch out in 2020 and beyond.

I am not a PU fan, an OSU fan or a troll (been on this Board for 15 years) but I do care and remember that a team has the ability to win a game they are not expected to win. That win got them to a bowl. Is that special? I suggest for IU it would be, since we have been to a grand total of three bowls since 1994. I stand by my position that a team can lay an egg or two during the season if they can pick up an upset and be bowl eligible. I may be wrong, but I suspect the win against OSU had more positive recruiting results than the loss to Auburn had negative. While I don't like PU football, the facts, as of today, are that the two most important IU/PU categories in the last two years have gone PU's way: two head-to-head wins and two bowl appearances for PU with none for IU. I hope things turn around for my beloved IU football, but it is silly to suggest we have been essentially equal with PU the last two season. Like or hate their HC, he has done an impressive job from where they started. I will hope this is IU's year, but will remain realistic and have no desire to try to tear down the accomplishments of others, even those of PU. By the way, I knew a good many people who were happy with a less than 13-13 record when IU was bowling in NY and Cal. They were happy because it was a step forward. This fan base needs a bowl. Saying 500 isn't much better than 417 is like saying the walkoff HR to win a playoff game is not much better than the warningtrack flyout that ended the top of that inning. Yep, might be small difference but an important difference.

I am not a PU fan, an OSU fan or a troll (been on this Board for 15 years) but I do care and remember that a team has the ability to win a game they are not expected to win. That win got them to a bowl. Is that special? I suggest for IU it would be, since we have been to a grand total of three bowls since 1994. I stand by my position that a team can lay an egg or two during the season if they can pick up an upset and be bowl eligible. I may be wrong, but I suspect the win against OSU had more positive recruiting results than the loss to Auburn had negative. While I don't like PU football, the facts, as of today, are that the two most important IU/PU categories in the last two years have gone PU's way: two head-to-head wins and two bowl appearances for PU with none for IU. I hope things turn around for my beloved IU football, but it is silly to suggest we have been essentially equal with PU the last two season. Like or hate their HC, he has done an impressive job from where they started. I will hope this is IU's year, but will remain realistic and have no desire to try to tear down the accomplishments of others, even those of PU. By the way, I knew a good many people who were happy with a less than 13-13 record when IU was bowling in NY and Cal. They were happy because it was a step forward. This fan base needs a bowl. Saying 500 isn't much better than 417 is like saying the walkoff HR to win a playoff game is not much better than the warningtrack flyout that ended the top of that inning. Yep, might be small difference but an important difference.
My point was that the luster of an upset win wears off pretty quickly when the team flat-out sucks in subsequent games that season.

In 2014, IU traveled to Columbia and shocked Mizzou, a team that went on to an 11-3 season and played for the SEC championship. I remember we were the talk of the college football world for exactly seven days, until we came home and stunk the place out against Maryland.

Look, I'm not denying the facts. We're 0-2 against Purdue the last two years, they've got the bucket, and nobody associated with IU is happy about it. But the sample size for both head coaches at their current schools is still relatively small, and it's still too early to be making sweeping generalizations and/or drawing broad-based conclusions about the quality and trends of the two programs and coaches.

My point was that the luster of an upset win wears off pretty quickly when the team flat-out sucks in subsequent games that season.

In 2014, IU traveled to Columbia and shocked Mizzou, a team that went on to an 11-3 season and played for the SEC championship. I remember we were the talk of the college football world for exactly seven days, until we came home and stunk the place out against Maryland.

Look, I'm not denying the facts. We're 0-2 against Purdue the last two years, they've got the bucket, and nobody associated with IU is happy about it. But the sample size for both head coaches at their current schools is still relatively small, and it's still too early to be making sweeping generalizations and/or drawing broad-based conclusions about the quality and trends of the two programs and coaches.

I don't believe I have made any "sweeping generalizations" or have drawn "broad-based conclusions about the quality and trends" in my above posts. I was simply saying that right now they have a better past two seasons than us and we should not try to say all is really just "equal" in the past two years. Also, I guess I was reluctantly saying I admire what they have done the last two years. Hope we catch and pass them as to wins and performance in the future, but right now we need a season to show we can bowl like they did. Where we might disagree is how long of a window do we have to compare programs. It is longer than two, but shorter than six, in my humble opinion.

I don't believe I have made any "sweeping generalizations" or have drawn "broad-based conclusions about the quality and trends" in my above posts. I was simply saying that right now they have a better past two seasons than us and we should not try to say all is really just "equal" in the past two years. Also, I guess I was reluctantly saying I admire what they have done the last two years. Hope we catch and pass them as to wins and performance in the future, but right now we need a season to show we can bowl like they did. Where we might disagree is how long of a window do we have to compare programs. It is longer than two, but shorter than six, in my humble opinion.

I agree PU gets the nod over IU for last 2 years b/c facts are facts: Both seasons it was two 5-6 teams playing to go bowling and PU won both games. That said, think it's also true that 13-13 is not exactly setting college FB world on fire and it is literally two bucket games difference in the two teams. So also fair to say the gap is not that deep or wide between the two.

Allen may not have had the leverage to name his exact staff in year one? Or he "may" have erred in looking for an "old hand/friend" OC who many felt did an OK job, but not off the charts. (And in fairness, Lagow/Ramsey may not have been the QB to take IU to the promised land?) I believe this season some combination of an experienced and improved Ramsey, or more likely Penix (or perhaps Tuttle, though I'm still in wait/see mode with him) - I believe IU finally with have the right OC and overall talent level, starting with an improved QB situation, to make the leap.

IU seemingly for the last 2 years hasn't put it together. A good offense had a defensive let down. Or a defense playing really lights out had an offense that couldn't move the ball and they then got gassed in 4Q. (See IU game - two HUGE 3Q turnovers or stops by IU Def, offense had 2 straight 3 & outs. Then OSU started rolling again - after being truly on the ropes - and the rest is history!)

Believe the D can make some stops, and if offense can sustain some drives, even ones that end in a FG, the defense can do it's part. But a sputtering offense with no First downs can leave any D staggering at the end.

In DeBoer we trust!

I agree PU gets the nod over IU for last 2 years b/c facts are facts: Both seasons it was two 5-6 teams playing to go bowling and PU won both games. That said, think it's also true that 13-13 is not exactly setting college FB world on fire and it is literally two bucket games difference in the two teams. So also fair to say the gap is not that deep or wide between the two.

Allen may not have had the leverage to name his exact staff in year one? Or he "may" have erred in looking for an "old hand/friend" OC who many felt did an OK job, but not off the charts. (And in fairness, Lagow/Ramsey may not have been the QB to take IU to the promised land?) I believe this season some combination of an experienced and improved Ramsey, or more likely Penix (or perhaps Tuttle, though I'm still in wait/see mode with him) - I believe IU finally with have the right OC and overall talent level, starting with an improved QB situation, to make the leap.

IU seemingly for the last 2 years hasn't put it together. A good offense had a defensive let down. Or a defense playing really lights out had an offense that couldn't move the ball and they then got gassed in 4Q. (See IU game - two HUGE 3Q turnovers or stops by IU Def, offense had 2 straight 3 & outs. Then OSU started rolling again - after being truly on the ropes - and the rest is history!)

Believe the D can make some stops, and if offense can sustain some drives, even ones that end in a FG, the defense can do it's part. But a sputtering offense with no First downs can leave any D staggering at the end.

In DeBoer we trust!
13-13 is not impressive in most cases, but look where PU was before Brohm.

They were hopeless and pitiful. They were a laughing-stock - the program was in horrible condition. Their recruiting classes were rock bottom and they had significant injuries.

I don't think a lot of IU fans fully appreciate the near-miracle Brohm has pulled off up there. The question is, can he improve on a .500 record and be ready when teams no longer think of them as a creampuff.

We can go a long way toward bursting their bubble by winning the Bucket this year.

13-13 is not impressive in most cases, but look where PU was before Brohm.

They were hopeless and pitiful. They were a laughing-stock - the program was in horrible condition. Their recruiting classes were rock bottom and they had significant injuries.

I don't think a lot of IU fans fully appreciate the near-miracle Brohm has pulled off up there. The question is, can he improve on a .500 record and be ready when teams no longer think of them as a creampuff.

We can go a long way toward bursting their bubble by winning the Bucket this year.
It’s nothing short of a miracle what Brohm has accomplished with what he inherited. And now he’s recruiting his players. That should scare us all. We desperately need to steal back some momentum from them this year.

I don't think a lot of IU fans fully appreciate the near-miracle Brohm has pulled off up there.

I don't think some IU fans fully appreciate the actual miracle pulled off by Tom Allen in Bloomington. Prior to his arrival, IU's defense was the definition of laughingstock. We endured literally decades of abysmal defense, featuring game after game where opponents were able to score practically at will. In 2015, like many prior seasons, IU's defense was among the worst in the nation. We managed to lose three games, in '15, where we scored 41, 41 and 52 points. Enter Allen, the architect of a stunning turnaround in 2016. We improved our average yards allowed per game from 509.5 to 380.1, the single biggest improvement in that category in college football. Allen saved the season and is the reason we went bowling. While the defense took a step back last year, Allen's history would suggest this was an aberration. We have a new DC this year, but I have no doubt that Allen will continue to be all over the defense. And with a new, proven and dynamic OC in place, it should all start to come together for IU this year, with a true breakthrough, I believe, in 2020.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT