ADVERTISEMENT

Two Months 'Til Opening Day: What Do you Think?

Bowlmania

All-American
Sep 23, 2016
We're Hoosier fans, so the expression "hope springs eternal" could have been coined specifically with us in mind. I feel like things are definitely looking up, but is that just me looking through crimson-colored glasses or are there genuine, objective reasons for believing that we're about to turn the proverbial corner?

On offense, I think we have the potential to be among the best in the conference. There's no denying we've lost some key guys on the OL but there's a solid nucleus returning with rising talent. We're loaded at the skill positions so if the OL jells, I'd hate to be a defensive coordinator game-planning for Kalen DeBoer and the Hoosiers. I think we're going to be lighting up the scoreboard on many Saturdays.

Hopefully the same won't be said for our opponents. Our D took a significant step back last season. This year we need some leaders to emerge on that side of the ball. We've got to get better at stopping the run, applying QB pressure and limiting the big gainers/explosive plays (opponent yards per play increased from 4.9 in 2017 to 5.8 in 2018).

I think we're still a year away from a breakthrough season, and I'm going with 6-6 for 2019. What say you?

I'm bullish on the offense, but bearish on the defense.

Deboer should be a considerable upgrade and with all the pieces he has, the O should score points. I can't foresee any reasons to lower expectations from a very productive unit ranked in the top 35 for Total Offense.

Because, we'll need it to be very good.

Our defense doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in me. We went from top 25 in 2017 to top 75 in 2018. While it seems we've gained more talent, still we're only getting more inexperienced in 2019. We pretty much lose the entire D Line and Crawford in the back. I'm also worried about Allen giving up play calling duties. He was a damn good DC. Wommack is cut from the same stock but he hasn't called a defense on this level, in this division.

Call me... Cautiously optimistic, with reservations. Ceiling: 7-5 (4-5). Floor: 5-7 (2-7)

We play next month!! I'm with you that we're 1 more year away. I don't think we can be 1 of the best offenses in the B1G because of the OL won't be good enough, & our passing game doesn't have the potency needed, imo. Defensively the front 7 will struggle in the B1G, just not experienced & deep enough(STILL)up front. Individually, losing Wilson & Bowen, & not having Minor doesn't bother me, but as a group, it kills our depth, & will kill us at times. Furthermore, & most of all, the g@$%#%m schedule is just too damn tough. After Rutgers, I just don't see a path to 6 wins, Anything is possible, but my prediction for 2019 is 4-8. 2020 will be a much better season, with AT LEAST 6 wins.

I'm bullish on the offense, but bearish on the defense.

Deboer should be a considerable upgrade and with all the pieces he has, the O should score points. I can't foresee any reasons to lower expectations from a very productive unit ranked in the top 35 for Total Offense.

Because, we'll need it to be very good.

Our defense doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in me. We went from top 25 in 2017 to top 75 in 2018. While it seems we've gained more talent, still we're only getting more inexperienced in 2019. We pretty much lose the entire D Line and Crawford in the back. I'm also worried about Allen giving up play calling duties. He was a damn good DC. Wommack is cut from the same stock but he hasn't called a defense on this level, in this division.

Call me... Cautiously optimistic, with reservations. Ceiling: 7-5 (4-5). Floor: 5-7 (2-7)
do we have pass rushers?

Reactions: Chriselli
I believe IU's floor this season will be a minimum 6-6 & go bowling, which even if just 6-6, going bowling to will keep the IUFB momentum going. Besides DeBoer & what I think he'll mean on a potentially loaded offense, I believe so many of the Defense, who took some lumps last year in the drop in ranking, gained invaluable experience and with S/C program, are coming back bigger/faster and with playing experience. Special teams play on punt & kick off can't be worse than last season with those considerable let downs, and I do think Allen will be better in just the HC role to allow him to see/be bigger picture.

Depth is better and big thing this season could be: IU has two bye weeks this season, which should help with fresh legs as well.

Another 5-7 campaign and things look pretty bad for Tom Allen. I just don't think that in today's society, a coach can endure three straight losing seasons and expect a rosey future.

It's almost a must that Tom Allen coughes up a bowl season. There's too much talent at the skill positions to not win 6 games and then actually win the bowl game against an inferior team. Low expectations suck.

For me it's all about the QB. With PR we can be good. (Love the kid but the arm is my big ?.) With MP we may be great. Not sure about Tuttle. He may be great too.
Overall we're still very young. I say (like many others here) we are one year away. With that said, breakout years come ahead of schedule sometimes. Maybe it's our time. We all know we are overdue.
Regardless, I do hope we get to at least 6-6 and a bowl to keep things projecting up.
Go Hoosiers!

I am excited about this team, I think the offense will be better and hope Penix or Tuttle win the QB job to make the offense more explosive. Based on Spring practice the defense reacts faster and yes we have some pass rushers. Stallings, Head, and Norris can rush the passer along with several in the secondary running stunts.

The changes in body size along with new OC, DC and full time HC with Allen helping on ST by over seeing what is going on [he was a ST coach at one point] and the attitude of our players this year. Add that our LBs will be better especial with C Jones and Miller in the mix. Our incoming players will have several that will play and compete.

The schedule is tough but with real grit the team can overcome that and surprise a couple of teams this year.

Another 5-7 campaign and things look pretty bad for Tom Allen. I just don't think that in today's society, a coach can endure three straight losing seasons and expect a rosey future.

It's almost a must that Tom Allen coughes up a bowl season. There's too much talent at the skill positions to not win 6 games and then actually win the bowl game against an inferior team. Low expectations suck.
Allen is in no danger of being fired next year unless it's just a complete disaster. 5 wins is not a disaster. 15 wins in 3 seasons at iU will almost get you into the IU HoF.

If he's still at 5 wins after 4 years, then yes, the heat will be on. But Fred is playing the long game here and shelling out for assistant coaches. He's waiting to see the benefits once all the upgrades are done. We'll know more after 2020 if we can hang in the B1G.

I have my doubts about Allen, but at this point, I'm not betting against him.

Thinking with the new OC, the offense is going to be unlike any we’ve seen at IU. Yes that includes CKW’s teams. Far more talent on this team. If the D can be average, great things lie ahead. And with CTA as HC, they’ll never be worse than average.

Thinking with the new OC, the offense is going to be unlike any we’ve seen at IU. Yes that includes CKW’s teams. Far more talent on this team. If the D can be average, great things lie ahead. And with CTA as HC, they’ll never be worse than average.

People forget that Wilson's best offense were with Seth Littrell as OC and Nate Sudfeld at QB. When Seth left the offense still did well just not as explosive. With a very good QB in Sudfeld offenses were good. When Nate was hurt or graduated the offenses became more mediocre. The 2016 team averaged 25.4 points a game.

I don't think the offense will be as explosive as past IU teams but much better than the past 4 out 5 years we have seen but you could be right.

How many years have we heard "If the D can be average...."?

We've had 'average' defenses, statistically, in the recent past. What we need are playmakers - guys who will step up on 3rd and long and not get beat deep. We need guys who are opportunistic - McFadden comes to mind. Not a highly rated recruit, but he comes up big in situations.

As long as I've followed IU, we all hang on statistics. Screw statistics - I want a competent team on Offense and Defense and Special Teams with guys who will make things happen in critical situations.

We're Hoosier fans, so the expression "hope springs eternal" could have been coined specifically with us in mind. I feel like things are definitely looking up, but is that just me looking through crimson-colored glasses or are there genuine, objective reasons for believing that we're about to turn the proverbial corner?

On offense, I think we have the potential to be among the best in the conference. There's no denying we've lost some key guys on the OL but there's a solid nucleus returning with rising talent. We're loaded at the skill positions so if the OL jells, I'd hate to be a defensive coordinator game-planning for Kalen DeBoer and the Hoosiers. I think we're going to be lighting up the scoreboard on many Saturdays.

Hopefully the same won't be said for our opponents. Our D took a significant step back last season. This year we need some leaders to emerge on that side of the ball. We've got to get better at stopping the run, applying QB pressure and limiting the big gainers/explosive plays (opponent yards per play increased from 4.9 in 2017 to 5.8 in 2018).

I think we're still a year away from a breakthrough season, and I'm going with 6-6 for 2019. What say you?
For programs like IU, 6 wins is the bar. It would be great to win more than 6, but a bowl is a bowl for this program. As with most years we are deeper in areas we weren't in the season before. But it'll come down to is the QB, OL, and DL play enough for 6 wins? I think we can win 6.

For programs like IU, 6 wins is the bar. It would be great to win more than 6, but a bowl is a bowl for this program. As with most years we are deeper in areas we weren't in the season before. But it'll come down to is the QB, OL, and DL play enough for 6 wins? I think we can win 6.
That's the current mindset, I agree. Hopefully moving forward, the expectations gradually grow. It's not a good thing to have yearly expectations at such a low setting.

If your yearly expectation is 6 wins, then it's not a big deal if you always fall one win short at 5-7. These small dreams have hurt this program more than anything else.

If your yearly expectation is 6 wins, then it's not a big deal if you always fall one win short at 5-7. These small dreams have hurt this program more than anything else.
Agreed. If we're ever going to get to a level of respectability, we need to be better than that.

I don't know if it's this year or next year or the year after, but we need to get better sooner than later. I'll accept five wins this year, but grudgingly. Six is where we need to be, and seven should be within reach. I'm tired of blaming everyone and everything else for our lack of success. Whining is for losers. We need to stop whining and start winning. I feel good about the direction Allen has us pointed. We look like a B1G football team. We play like an B1G football team. We're no longer embarrassed on a regular basis by the big boys. It remains to be seen whether any of that will translate into wins.

Agreed. If we're ever going to get to a level of respectability, we need to be better than that.

I don't know if it's this year or next year or the year after, but we need to get better sooner than later. I'll accept five wins this year, but grudgingly. Six is where we need to be, and seven should be within reach. I'm tired of blaming everyone and everything else for our lack of success. Whining is for losers. We need to stop whining and start winning. I feel good about the direction Allen has us pointed. We look like a B1G football team. We play like an B1G football team. We're no longer embarrassed on a regular basis by the big boys. It remains to be seen whether any of that will translate into wins.
Amen!!

How many years have we heard "If the D can be average...."?
Well, we heard it a lot in 2013 and 2015, and with good reason. With outstanding offenses, we struggled to reach six wins. The 2015 team, in particular, would've been a nine win team (the six we got, plus Rutgers, Michigan and Duke) with just a minimally "competent" (your preferred word) defense. We struggled to win, and squandered an opportunity to take things to the next level, because our defense was near worst-in-the-country.

Our defense was competent in 2016 and 2017. Our offense was not. In 2018 we weren't particularly good on either side of the ball.

IU has been unable to simultaneously produce a competent offense and defense in eons. Maybe this will be the year that happens. Whenever it happens, it should yield many wins. I think that was Herman's point, which seems pretty reasonable to me.

Reactions: UncleMark
Well, we heard it a lot in 2013 and 2015, and with good reason. With outstanding offenses, we struggled to reach six wins. The 2015 team, in particular, would've been a nine win team (the six we got, plus Rutgers, Michigan and Duke) with just a minimally "competent" (your preferred word) defense. We struggled to win, and squandered an opportunity to take things to the next level, because our defense was near worst-in-the-country.

Our defense was competent in 2016 and 2017. Our offense was not. In 2018 we weren't particularly good on either side of the ball.

IU has been unable to simultaneously produce a competent offense and defense in eons. Maybe this will be the year that happens. Whenever it happens, it should yield many wins. I think that was Herman's point, which seems pretty reasonable to me.
The Defense and Offense play on the same team. If our Defense holds, the Offense can't do anything with it. Statistics are for losers. You can point to any statistic and say 'IF' this had happened, but the game is played on the field.

My point was, we need playmakers - not better statistics.

The Defense and Offense play on the same team. If our Defense holds, the Offense can't do anything with it. Statistics are for losers. You can point to any statistic and say 'IF' this had happened, but the game is played on the field.

My point was, we need playmakers - not better statistics.
We all want wins, and no clear-thinking fan takes solace in, for example, cranking out more total yards than an opponent but losing the game.

In any event, I'm not seeing a whole lot of statistical discussion and/or analysis in this thread so I'm not sure what you're talking about. That said, you took me back to the 20th century with that "statistics are for losers" cliche. You'll never hear a respected coach, in any sport, say that today. The use of data, statistics and metrics is ubiquitous in sports, and analytics are the way of the sports world, including college football. Welcome to 2019.

We all want wins, and no clear-thinking fan takes solace in, for example, cranking out more total yards than an opponent but losing the game.

In any event, I'm not seeing a whole lot of statistical discussion and/or analysis in this thread so I'm not sure what you're talking about. That said, you took me back to the 20th century with that "statistics are for losers" cliche. You'll never hear a respected coach, in any sport, say that today. The use of data, statistics and metrics is ubiquitous in sports, and analytics are the way of the sports world, including college football. Welcome to 2019.
I'm obviously ignorant in the ways of the modern world.

Why don't you enlighten me as to what the statistics need to say in order to have a winning season. It should be simple - we finish 25th in Defense and we win? We give up 300 yards a game - does that mean a winning season?

Please give the statistics we need to have a winning season. Instead of Wins and Losses, we can track the team's progress by statistics.

Reactions: fpeaugh
New OC, 2 Bye weeks, More depth, Allen focused as HC only, more competition at most positions. This will be a year IU gets a few nice wins over those teams haven't been beating in the past consistently. See: MD, Northwestern, PU. That alone will likely get them to 6 or 7. Not easy, but very doable!

Lol it wont take all the stars to align to make 6-6 stop being over dramatic. If that was the case all the betting sights wouldnt have us at an over under of 6. Will it be hard to get to 6? Yes. But 3 non con wins against awful opponents. A win against rutgers who is equally awful puts you at 4
Now all that's left is to get 2 wins against purdue northwestern maryland nebraska and michigan state (michigan state has been mediocre last 2 years and is very beatable)
All of these games are 50/50 or 60/40. All very winnable so getting 2 out of 5 is very realistic.

Agree, more in depth explanation than mine
Lol it wont take all the stars to align to make 6-6 stop being over dramatic. If that was the case all the betting sights wouldnt have us at an over under of 6. Will it be hard to get to 6? Yes. But 3 non con wins against awful opponents. A win against rutgers who is equally awful puts you at 4
Now all that's left is to get 2 wins against purdue northwestern maryland nebraska and michigan state (michigan state has been mediocre last 2 years and is very beatable)
All of these games are 50/50 or 60/40. All very winnable so getting 2 out of 5 is very realistic.

Reactions: vesuvius13
That's what should be expected. Getting three (or more) is what we need to be looking forward to. That will be a sign of real progress.

I'm obviously ignorant in the ways of the modern world.

Why don't you enlighten me as to what the statistics need to say in order to have a winning season. It should be simple - we finish 25th in Defense and we win? We give up 300 yards a game - does that mean a winning season?

Please give the statistics we need to have a winning season. Instead of Wins and Losses, we can track the team's progress by statistics.
All the data and analytics can help you make better decisions but you are correct and I’ve said the same for a long time- we need guys who can make plays with the game on the line, as evidenced by how competitive we’ve been the last 5 years without the wins to show for it. We have plenty of good players but we need more gamers. MSU under Dantonio is a perfect example. They don’t have that much more talent than we do but they just know how to get it done in close games.

All the data and analytics can help you make better decisions but you are correct and I’ve said the same for a long time- we need guys who can make plays with the game on the line, as evidenced by how competitive we’ve been the last 5 years without the wins to show for it. We have plenty of good players but we need more gamers. MSU under Dantonio is a perfect example. They don’t have that much more talent than we do but they just know how to get it done in close games.

Say what you want, but players feed off of the crowd atmosphere. On the road it becomes an "us against the world" mindset; at home it is feeling all the positive energy. Is it possible that all of the people in the stadium who are thinking "what's gonna happen this time?" as opposed to "we're gonna do it!" makes a difference?

There is far too much negativity in our fan base. CTA preaches positive encouragement with #LEO and we have seen the players and recruits respond to it. It is time we all jump on board! It is easier to be a gamer when you feel the support and energy!

We've been losing the close games because we don't have depth like many of our opponents and our guys are gassed at the end. And there's a talent gap as well. But that's changing, particularly given CTA's 2019 recruiting class and the way the '20 class is already shaping up.

The Michigan State comparison isn't a good one. Look at the '15, '16, '17 and '18 recruiting classes. It's not even close.

We've been losing the close games because we don't have depth like many of our opponents and our guys are gassed at the end. And there's a talent gap as well. But that's changing, particularly given CTA's 2019 recruiting class and the way the '20 class is already shaping up.

The Michigan State comparison isn't a good one. Look at the '15, '16, '17 and '18 recruiting classes. It's not even close.

Not to mention (oops, guess I just did) that they [M$U] usually have at least a couple of refs on the payroll...

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC
When it comes to nut cutting time, there is a saying in coaching, "winners win and losers lose" seems very simplistic but that's the way is usually happens.

When it comes to nut cutting time, there is a saying in coaching, "winners win and losers lose" seems very simplistic but that's the way is usually happens.
As a former HS coach I had to know what players I had, if any, that could make game winning plays. Part of it is the attitude you bring to the team and let them know you believe in them. Our state championship year we played Bellmont in the first game of the sectional. They were a good team and we found ourselves in trouble in the 4th quarter needing two scores to win. The defensive players were down after giving up the second TD so in the next series after giving up a 1st down I called time out. I went out and told the players I knew one of them was going to make a big play and we would win the game. The next play my 5'6" DB playing the rover position picked off a pass going to the TE. From there, the game turned around. The 4A state champion in 1995 nearly lost in the first game of the tournament. This team was known for pulling games out of the fire during the Regional and Semi-state but it happened because we had players that would make game winning plays.

To have those players they have to have talent, not the most talent, and a toughness to believe in themselves no matter how the game is going. My hope is IU now has those players but if not this year I see some of those players in our 2018 class. The play that stands out to me is the one Jamar Johnson made in the end zone against Rutgers, intercepting the pass to end the drive Rutgers made.

As a former HS coach I had to know what players I had, if any, that could make game winning plays. Part of it is the attitude you bring to the team and let them know you believe in them. Our state championship year we played Bellmont in the first game of the sectional. They were a good team and we found ourselves in trouble in the 4th quarter needing two scores to win. The defensive players were down after giving up the second TD so in the next series after giving up a 1st down I called time out. I went out and told the players I knew one of them was going to make a big play and we would win the game. The next play my 5'6" DB playing the rover position picked off a pass going to the TE. From there, the game turned around. The 4A state champion in 1995 nearly lost in the first game of the tournament. This team was known for pulling games out of the fire during the Regional and Semi-state but it happened because we had players that would make game winning plays.

To have those players they have to have talent, not the most talent, and a toughness to believe in themselves no matter how the game is going. My hope is IU now has those players but if not this year I see some of those players in our 2018 class. The play that stands out to me is the one Jamar Johnson made in the end zone against Rutgers, intercepting the pass to end the drive Rutgers made.
Good story coach. Congratulations on state title. Always good to hear from people who actually know what they’re talking about. Look forward to some analysis from you this year. Go Hoosiers!

Did you coach Ft. Wayne Wayne? My wife's cousins went there. They would have graduated late 70s and mid-80s.

My old HS - the mighty Carroll Cougars - won the 1A championship that year!

Offense may have to carry us.
1. If the OL can block average, can our deep RBs provide long drives, score points, and keep our defense on the sidelines?
2. Ramsey is a solid .500 QB, Penix still coming back from injury, and Tuttle less known. If Tuttle wins the battle that may be a great sign.
3. As always for any team, drives need to end with TD and not FG.

I beg to differ, Euro: That's NOT the way it usually happens at IU.
Phil Dickens brought a 29-11-1 career record to Bloomington and won one-third of his games at IU.
John Pont brought a 20-7-2 career record to Bloomington and won 38 percent of his games at IU.
Bill Mallory brought a 99-151-1 career record to Bloomington and won 46.6 percent of his games at IU.
Gerry DiNardo brought a 53-100-1 career record to Bloomington and won just 23 percent of his games at IU.
Cam Cameron and Kevin Wilson had no career records when they came to IU.
While I believe in Occam's Razor, it might not apply in this particular case.

Reactions: vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT