ADVERTISEMENT

Twitter adoption theory for the AOTF

Eppy99

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 27, 2001
The AOTF started dying before Peegs shit his pants and topic vs thread view. I don’t remember the year I started creating horrible threads and honestly I’m not powerful enough to bring down the mighty AOTF.

So my unscientific theory is the mass adoption of twitter sealed the fate of boards like this.

The amount of trolling and bad takes on twitter is endless. You can spend your whole day supporting flat earth theories, talking bitcoin, politics, fantasy sports, etc.

Just a thought.

I’m done or dumb.

4b2f5086287c69e7d586a50035e5f8ce.jpg

31f3d36a_08-21-12-Hot-redheads-19.jpeg

So are you asshats liking the chicks, the theory or both? Don't make me remove the chicks to get honest feedback.

I don't discuss any stupid shit on twitter since I use it basically as a diverse news feed for sports, politics, and science. I don't follow nutjobs or get involved with trolls, usually. One exception is discussion of science-related topics, where some Luddites usually weigh in and I laugh at their stupid takes.

I gave you a like solely for the redhead.

Reactions: BigMobe
The AOTF started dying before Peegs shit his pants and topic vs thread view. I don’t remember the year I started creating horrible threads and honestly I’m not powerful enough to bring down the mighty AOTF.

So my unscientific theory is the mass adoption of twitter sealed the fate of boards like this.

The amount of trolling and bad takes on twitter is endless. You can spend your whole day supporting flat earth theories, talking bitcoin, politics, fantasy sports, etc.

Just a thought.

I’m done or dumb.

4b2f5086287c69e7d586a50035e5f8ce.jpg

31f3d36a_08-21-12-Hot-redheads-19.jpeg
I might need to count those freckles....with my tongue

Reactions: All4You
I am trying to avoid all toxic people on line as much as possible, without hiding behind an "ignore like a cowardly bitch" button.

So rare twitter if any.
Facebook is a no.
Almost any message board is full of them and they tend to demand attention
200.gif

But the OTF and AOTF can't really die - so long as debauchery survives anywhere, it will live here too.

You have kept the banner high ... or low, respectively.

I salute your debauch
200.gif

and I smite the toxic

When Andy passed away a part of the OTF passed with him. Also, people have gotten older and don't post at 2 AM shit hammered anymore for the most part.

Reactions: largemouth
While I have had a user name here for quite some time, I didn't post a whole helluva lot prior to a few years ago, and as such I am relatively unacquainted with the history of the AOTF (though from what I have seen of those waxing nostalgically I am sure I would have enjoyed it). So, I can't really comment on the OP's point as I have true frame of reference regarding the AOTF.

That said, I enjoy the vibe here. The content and conversations here remind me of random segments of Letterkenny.

Reactions: sdhoosier
The OTF had to evolve into what it became. It wasn't just born or created overnight and wouldn't likely come back with a simple format change.

We had our resident hippies (TMP in all of his various forms, Phish, and others). We had our gay guy (Cap) who any of us would have defended to the death while still making fun of him for bragging about his "record". We had Moops and Hottie, and Hottie's mysterious bikini-clad avatar. We had the snark of Spec, Stunned Monkey, Kookie and others (Stunned's Illinois barnstorming post is still one of the funniest things I've ever seen on the interwebs). We had the wisdom and artistic skills of Kref. We had SuperHoosier, for what that's worth. We had Shrock. We had Peach, and possibly one of her boobs IIRC. We had C$ and all of his bad life-choices. like putting his girlfriend's name on the title to his new house. We had Goat's stories and all the stuff he brought to the table. We had Hoosier Granddaddy, who could ID any female just by looking at her breastesses. We had Bob Sugar and his bullet-holed helmet from serving in the Middle East. We had RCab, unfortunately, but he was fun to throw darts at and whoever created that character should probably be commended. We had the best bullshit artists in the business and trolled the free BB board regularly. We had hotness pretty much every day and, I'm sure, tested Peegs' patience over and over again. We had the Tumbleweed threads. I'm leaving a lot out.

But most of all, we had Aruss. He was the glue. Who knows how many times he probably got us out of the collective doghouse with the powers that be (or were at the time)? The days after he passed, when all of the Old Guard (or was it the IC, if that ever existed) came back were full of memories and had a feel of the OTF glory days. Shortly after that the format changed and it was the end of an era.

My two cents.

Last edited:
The OTF had to evolve into what it became. It wasn't just born or created overnight and wouldn't likely come back with a simple format change.

We had our resident hippies (TMP in all of his various forms, Phish, and others). We had our gay guy (Cap) who any of us would have defended to the death while still making fun of him for bragging about his "record". We had Moops and Hottie, and Hottie's mysterious bikini-clad avatar. We had the snark of Spec, Stunned Monkey, Kookie and others (Stunned's Illinois barnstorming post is still one of the funniest things I've ever seen on the interwebs). We had the wisdom and artistic skills of Kref. We had SuperHoosier, for what that's worth. We had Shrock. We had Peach, and possibly one of her boobs IIRC. We had C$ and all of his bad life-choices. like putting his girlfriend's name on the title to his new house. We had Goat's stories and all the stuff he brought to the table. We had Hoosier Granddaddy, who could ID any female just by looking at her breastesses. We had Bob Sugar and his bullet-holed helmet from serving in the Middle East. We had RCab, unfortunately, but he was fun to throw darts at and whoever created that character should probably be commended. We had the best bullshit artists in the business and trolled the free BB board regularly. We had hotness pretty much every day and, I'm sure, tested Peegs' patience over and over again. We had the Tumbleweed threads. I'm leaving a lot out.

But most of all, we had Aruss. He was the glue. Who knows how many times he probably got us out of the collective doghouse with the powers that be (or were at the time)? The days after he passed, when all of the Old Guard (or was it the IC, if that ever existed) came back were full of memories and had a feel of the OTF glory days. Shortly after that the format changed and it was the end of an era.

My two cents.
I lurked the OTF for a long time. Never posted, because the collective seemed like such a tight knit crew, from the outside looking in. And they were. Until one day I remarked on a comment that BIODTL, or whichever one of his sign-ons he was using at the time, made about Paul McCartney, IIRC. He ripped me, as he is wont to do, but from that day on I was hooked.

Great times on that board.

Reactions: 1987Grad
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT