ADVERTISEMENT

Turning The Corner

Crossblock

Senior
Jan 8, 2019
Yesterday was the first substantial proof We have that this program has turned the Corner and is a legitimate contender. When You lose the Turnover Battle 4-0, score 42 Points and win by 14, something has drastically changed. Maryland may not be World Beaters, but they are a decent team with a good QB and good skill position players. This game proved that We can beat a decent team on a day when We aren't playing at our best. Would Yesterday's performance be enough to beat OSU, Michigan or Penn State when They are playing at their best? No. We need to have a much better performance against teams of that caliber. Hopefully, we got this one out of our system and can play better in our remaining games.
The biggest difference I'm seeing from past years is that the Offense and Defense are in sync and feeding off of each other which is allowing Us to play aggressively on both sides of the ball.
I don't know how many times in the past We have looked at a game and said Gee our Offense put up 40 points Yesterday and looked great, but our Defense gave up 50 and looked disinterested and not involved. Or the Defense gave up 20 points, which in this day and age should be enough to win a lot of games, but the offense was inconsistent, couldn't sustain drives and only scored 13.
The fact that the Defense took the field after each of the turnovers and didn't give up a point on the subsequent drives is another indicator. This team concentrates its effort on the next play and can quickly forget a bad result and move forward.
Finally, We are making mistakes and getting some penalties, but We aren't seeing the type of mistakes and stupid penalties that kill drives or extend drives for the opponent when the game is on the line. This Team is disciplined. No more fake hustle from players and excuses from Coaches. Play smart, do Your job, or take a seat.

Yesterday was the first substantial proof We have that this program has turned the Corner and is a legitimate contender. When You lose the Turnover Battle 4-0, score 42 Points and win by 14, something has drastically changed. Maryland may not be World Beaters, but they are a decent team with a good QB and good skill position players. This game proved that We can beat a decent team on a day when We aren't playing at our best. Would Yesterday's performance be enough to beat OSU, Michigan or Penn State when They are playing at their best? No. We need to have a much better performance against teams of that caliber. Hopefully, we got this one out of our system and can play better in our remaining games.
The biggest difference I'm seeing from past years is that the Offense and Defense are in sync and feeding off of each other which is allowing Us to play aggressively on both sides of the ball.
I don't know how many times in the past We have looked at a game and said Gee our Offense put up 40 points Yesterday and looked great, but our Defense gave up 50 and looked disinterested and not involved. Or the Defense gave up 20 points, which in this day and age should be enough to win a lot of games, but the offense was inconsistent, couldn't sustain drives and only scored 13.
The fact that the Defense took the field after each of the turnovers and didn't give up a point on the subsequent drives is another indicator. This team concentrates its effort on the next play and can quickly forget a bad result and move forward.
Finally, We are making mistakes and getting some penalties, but We aren't seeing the type of mistakes and stupid penalties that kill drives or extend drives for the opponent when the game is on the line. This Team is disciplined. No more fake hustle from players and excuses from Coaches. Play smart, do Your job, or take a seat.
Good post. This team is solid on both sides of the ball, with room for improvement. There were a couple of blown coverages on defense and the offense sputtered for much of the first half, but this was a win over a good team in a game that wasn't as close as the final score would suggest.

The ceiling looks very high this season. Cignetti promised that this team would win in Year 1 and, damn, he's following through. Kudos to him and his staff for this incredible transformation of IU football.

Enjoyed the post. Agreed. Although for me UCLA was the first substantial proof. How organized we looked, how we just handled them, with relative ease.
Of course, being an Indiana fan, I still always need the next game or even yesterday, the next drive, to get over my nerves that are telling me the shoe is about to drop. I felt coming in to Maryland we'd win but also felt they were a challenge. But, so much to like about the teams resiliency. Wish they hadn't put us through the emotional wringer like that though, lol. They sure seemed a lot cooler through it all than me.

This is a good football team, we will find out how good by the end of the season. It is fun seeing the team feed off each other to win games. It is nice to have an offense that averages close to 48.5 points a game paired with a defense that gives up 13.0 points a game.

Reactions: ESalum86 and 76-1
Yesterday was weird. It was 21-21 and I wasn’t the least bit nervous. Even on third downs, I’m like “we got this”.

My game day emotions have turned the corner.
I was the opposite. Was super calm during UCLA after a couple drives, I was 'we're better, we got this'.

Yesterday when stuff kept happening so it stayed close, I was nervous. Although in the game chat, I told people I was glad there was a lot of time left when we had a one TD lead in the second half. I said we were better and with enough time would win, but if there was only a short amount of time left,where just a bad bounce and we'd lose, would be worse. But I was very nervous first time all year.

I think it was just all the 'get fans to the game' talk. I really, really didn't want us to lose a tough one yesterday. Made me more nervous than just any old big ten game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT