ADVERTISEMENT

Tucker to MSU . . .

The Spartans will be just fine. They have very strong support from the fans, full stadiums, good recruiting. This is a blip. As far as any sanctions, those type of things only impact struggling football programs. Good programs like MSU or PSU weather the storm.

Reactions: vesuvius13
It's a decent hire, but certainly not a home run hire by any stretch. He's been on good teams as an assistant, but his HC record isn't that impressive.

Maybe the extra assistant salary pool is to hire chaperones to make sure the players stay out of trouble.

That would be pretty funny if it weren't actually sad...

Looks like Tucker is one of those: "My word is my bond and as strong as oak" types, (unless they come up with another 2.65 mil)...:rolleyes: **

If anyone truly "has a price" to buy out their integrity then he's made his known to the world...:confused: With that approach he'll be a great fit at M$U...

Those jokers all deserve each other...:cool:

**https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...arget-mel-tucker-staying-colorado/4701524002/
Now that we have established Who and What we are, all that's left is to agree on the price. Just another Coaching Whore.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
Now that we have established Who and What we are, all that's left is to agree on the price. Just another Coaching Whore.

So if an employer came to you and offered twice your current salary you would turn it down because you would not want to be viewed as a (insert profession whore). Most people would jump at that offer because it would improve the financial status of one's family.

So if an employer came to you and offered twice your current salary you would turn it down because you would not want to be viewed as a (insert profession whore). Most people would jump at that offer because it would improve the financial status of one's family.
There comes a point your word should mean something especially when you tell your recruits you are staying at your school. I had this happen in high school I got called about a job with much more money but it was two weeks before the season started. I told that school I would come the following season if they went with an assistant for the coming season; the school found another coach which was fine by me. I'm sorry but many of us find Tucker's actions less than honorable.

Last edited:
They could have hired Bill Lynch, and you could find 5 big name guys to endorse him.

Tucker seems like a desperate hire. Believe me, he wasn’t some hot coaching commodity. This is a Fred Glass type of move.
If they really wanted to clean up the program and establish some respectability, Bill Lynch would be a great hire for them.

There comes a point your word should mean something especially when you tell your recruits you are staying at your school. I had this happen in high school I got called about a job with much more money but it was two weeks before the season started. I told that school I would come the following season if they went with an assistant for the coming season; the school found another coach which was fine by me. I sorry but many of us find Tucker's actions less than honorable.

Both sides right here. Think the coach handled it poorly (going on Twitter to say he was committed/staying, then leaving or accepting the next day in dead of night?) But...Throw another $2M a year at someone with guaranteed multi year deal and think a lot of people might have a mini "lapse in their word" candidly. It was clumsy at best, but they backed up a brinks truck for him and a staff to put together.

Both sides right here. Think the coach handled it poorly (going on Twitter to say he was committed/staying, then leaving or accepting the next day in dead of night?) But...Throw another $2M a year at someone with guaranteed multi year deal and think a lot of people might have a mini "lapse in their word" candidly. It was clumsy at best, but they backed up a brinks truck for him and a staff to put together.
I'll say again, MONEY talks!

Reactions: DANC
There comes a point your word should mean something especially when you tell your recruits you are staying at your school. I had this happen in high school I got called about a job with much more money but it was two weeks before the season started. I told that school I would come the following season if they went with an assistant for the coming season; the school found another coach which was fine by me. I sorry but many of us find Tucker's actions less than honorable.
There is blame on all sides of this. The underlying problem is that Contracts for Football Coaches aren't what Contracts are in the real life world. We gave you a 5 year contract, but if we terminate you before that, here is your defined buyout. If you decide to go before the end of the contract term, you owe us $X. If another School comes calling, we will give you permission to talk to them, and if you decide to leave, they will probably pay us the buyout amount of your contract.

This whole thing looks sleazy for MSU and Tucker. MSU couldn't walk away and take no for an answer. Tucker said No the first time and then assured everybody that he was staying at Colorado, went on media with those assurances and may have been involved in raising donations for CU Athletics the night before he left. He looks like the Irsays packing up the Colts property in vans in the middle of the night and heading to Indianapolis.

These two may deserve each other. MSU perhaps one step ahead of NCAA Compliance Investigations, and Tucker so blinded by the Dollars that he never considered he could be working with one hand behind his back after the NCAA is finished with them..Welcome to the Cess Pool Mel.

Sounds to me like old Mel took his training in handling these matters from Saban quite well.

There is blame on all sides of this. The underlying problem is that Contracts for Football Coaches aren't what Contracts are in the real life world. We gave you a 5 year contract, but if we terminate you before that, here is your defined buyout. If you decide to go before the end of the contract term, you owe us $X. If another School comes calling, we will give you permission to talk to them, and if you decide to leave, they will probably pay us the buyout amount of your contract.

This whole thing looks sleazy for MSU and Tucker. MSU couldn't walk away and take no for an answer. Tucker said No the first time and then assured everybody that he was staying at Colorado, went on media with those assurances and may have been involved in raising donations for CU Athletics the night before he left. He looks like the Irsays packing up the Colts property in vans in the middle of the night and heading to Indianapolis.

These two may deserve each other. MSU perhaps one step ahead of NCAA Compliance Investigations, and Tucker so blinded by the Dollars that he never considered he could be working with one hand behind his back after the NCAA is finished with them..Welcome to the Cess Pool Mel.

I think the Irsays were completely justified in leaving Baltimore in the manner they did. Baltimore had been screwing around with the Colts for more than 20 years, repeatedly increasing rent for a stadium that was literally falling apart. Irsay had been actively and openly looking to relocate nearly 5 years with NFL permission. When it looked like Irsay and Indianapolis were close to making a deal (again all of this was out in the open) the state of Maryland tried to seize the Colts through eminent domain. They left in the middle of the night because it was planned for the governor to sign the seizure order the following day, and were also worried that Maryland state police would try to illegally detain them if the publicly said they were leaving

ADVERTISEMENT