ADVERTISEMENT

Tucker to MSU . . .

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...el-tucker-michigan-state-football/4730856002/

The real import of this hire is the effect on coaches' salaries. He's going to more than double his salary - currently at more than $2.6 million - and will double MSU's assistant coaching pool to $6.4 million.

Not sure it's a good time for IU to be without an AD . . . .

That would be pretty funny if it weren't actually sad...

Looks like Tucker is one of those: "My word is my bond and as strong as oak" types, (unless they come up with another 2.65 mil)...:rolleyes: **

If anyone truly "has a price" to buy out their integrity then he's made his known to the world...:confused: With that approach he'll be a great fit at M$U...

Those jokers all deserve each other...:cool:

**https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...arget-mel-tucker-staying-colorado/4701524002/

Last edited:
That would be pretty funny if it weren't actually sad...

Looks like Tucker is one of those: "My word is my bond and as strong as oak" types, (unless they come up with another 2.65 mil)...:rolleyes:

If anyone truly "has a price" to buy out their integrity then he's made his known to the world...:confused: With that approach he'll be a great fit at M$U...

Those jokers all deserve each other...:cool:
How do you think Dantonio feels today after reading that story? ;)

MSU goes to a coach that won 5 games last year with the wins coming against teams like Nebraska that didn't measure up to predictions. Getting a coach that lasted one year at a power 5 team is questionable and looks like throwing money hoping to hit jackpot without the proof they have.

Maybe time for the NCAA to consider putting a cap on coaches salaries.

Ticket prices just went up again.
The cap on coaches' salaries used to be too-few-butts-in-seats. But now with the TV contracts, we're going to see fewer and fewer fans going to games just as salaries are going up . . .

. . . at some point it becomes unsustainable and we may have reached that point already without knowing it . . . .

MSU goes to a coach that won 5 games last year with the wins coming against teams like Nebraska that didn't measure up to predictions. Getting a coach that lasted one year at a power 5 team is questionable and looks like throwing money hoping to hit jackpot without the proof they have.

I think that this shows that MSU's issues are scaring a lot of coaches off.

I don't think MSU is doing this expecting to hit the jackpot, its just that they need provide hazard pay to lower tier candidates to even fill the job.

I think that this shows that MSU's issues are scaring a lot of coaches off.

I don't think MSU is doing this expecting to hit the jackpot, its just that they need provide hazard pay to lower tier candidates to even fill the job.
He has a pulse.

The cap on coaches' salaries used to be too-few-butts-in-seats. But now with the TV contracts, we're going to see fewer and fewer fans going to games just as salaries are going up . . .

. . . at some point it becomes unsustainable and we may have reached that point already without knowing it . . . .
I think about this very thing a lot. The cost of actually attending games continues to rise and the experience for the fan in the stadium keeps getting worse. With practically every game now televised, at what point does the downside of empty seats begin to offset the benefits of made-for-tv college football.

With practically every game now televised, at what point does the downside of empty seats begin to offset the benefits of made-for-tv college football.

The scary part is that, theoretically at least, it doesn't have to. The more folks stay home and watch on TV, the more money advertisers are willing to pay to sponsor the games . . . it won't stop until the net gain of product sales from the advertising stops.

I think about this very thing a lot. The cost of actually attending games continues to rise and the experience for the fan in the stadium keeps getting worse. With practically every game now televised, at what point does the downside of empty seats begin to offset the benefits of made-for-tv college football.
There are reason to go to the game and athletic departments need to figure how how to enhance the in game atmosphere. Hanging out with friends and a large number of people cheering for their team is something you don't get at home. However, IU needs to figure out how to draw fans from several hours from campus and make the trip worthwhile. Think outside the box - set up party buses, limo service for better off fans that don't like the drive, anything to make the trip more worthwhile as the team continues to improve the product on the field. One thing needed is to quit bringing in the weak sisters as IU doesn't owe any school exposure. This doesn't mean IU has to schedule a killer OC schedule if they schedule the right teams. Get games fans care about like VA, Louisville that is upcoming, Cincinnati that is upcoming.

Reactions: red hornet
any unproven coach isn't worth the salary MSU just spent. I'd argue no coach is worth that but at least a proven coach would have more of a leg to stand on.
So your view isn't that Tucker isn't a bad hire, it's just that he's not a sufficiently proven hire for the money he's going to be paid.

I get that.

Reactions: vesuvius13
There are reason to go to the game and athletic departments need to figure how how to enhance the in game atmosphere. Hanging out with friends and a large number of people cheering for their team is something you don't get at home. However, IU needs to figure out how to draw fans from several hours from campus and make the trip worthwhile. Think outside the box - set up party buses, limo service for better off fans that don't like the drive, anything to make the trip more worthwhile as the team continues to improve the product on the field. One thing needed is to quit bringing in the weak sisters as IU doesn't owe any school exposure. This doesn't mean IU has to schedule a killer OC schedule if they schedule the right teams. Get games fans care about like VA, Louisville that is upcoming, Cincinnati that is upcoming.
Don't get me wrong, I love being at the game in person - for many of the reasons you mention. There are a lot worse things one could be doing than spending a fall Saturday in Btown.

That said, I'm at a point in my life where it's both affordable for me and there are not a lot of other obligations or activities competing for my time and money. I schedule fall weekends around IU football. But for many fans - especially families and those who don't live near Bloomington - I agree that IU has to work harder and smarter at gameday experience.

I would love to see truly affordable ticket prices in those corner seats and concession deals for every game. And IU as well as every other NCAA school need to apply pressure to the networks to compress or consolidate tv timeout downtime (either that or find some real kickass entertainment for that monotony). It would also be wonderful if a solution could be found to speed up the endless reviews and replays.

When I first started attending college football games in the late '60s/early '70s it was a 3 - 3 1/2 hour in-stadium event. Now, it's always 4+ hours - more if the game is close.

When I first started attending college football games in the late '60s/early '70s it was a 3 - 3 1/2 hour in-stadium event. Now, it's always 4+ hours - more if the game is close.
This is the reason I don't attend many football games. With the drive there and the drive home . . . it's untenable for someone with a life to attend games and make the day work.

Don't get me wrong, I love being at the game in person - for many of the reasons you mention. There are a lot worse things one could be doing than spending a fall Saturday in Btown.

That said, I'm at a point in my life where it's both affordable for me and there are not a lot of other obligations or activities competing for my time and money. I schedule fall weekends around IU football. But for many fans - especially families and those who don't live near Bloomington - I agree that IU has to work harder and smarter at gameday experience.

I would love to see truly affordable ticket prices in those corner seats and concession deals for every game. And IU as well as every other NCAA school need to apply pressure to the networks to compress or consolidate tv timeout downtime (either that or find some real kickass entertainment for that monotony). It would also be wonderful if a solution could be found to speed up the endless reviews and replays.

Here is an easy solution to the problem besides making commercial breaks shorter; treat pass plays like running plays until the final two minutes of each half. If the clock didn't stop with each incomplete pass but kept running like on run plays it would shorten the game.

Well, you know they will not kill the golden goose that is TV revenue so the TV time outs will not go away or reduce. What can they do to enhance the entertainment during that downtime? I don't know but everything they have come up with so far is cheesy.

I agree they should figure out how to stop all the replay situations. Just go back to the old way without replay but judge the officials afterwards a little harsher.

Reactions: red hornet
Great post. Need to look at NFL stadiums. While at the Gator Bowl my friends and I had bar rail seats. Very cool. Close to food and bar. Didn't have to say excuse me to go to bathroom. They had pit couch sections, etc. My days of sitting in a row with people all around are limited. I believe our stadium should be re-built to support the change. More comfort. Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: vesuvius13
Well, you know they will not kill the golden goose that is TV revenue so the TV time outs will not go away or reduce. What can they do to enhance the entertainment during that downtime? I don't know but everything they have come up with so far is cheesy.

I agree they should figure out how to stop all the replay situations. Just go back to the old way without replay but judge the officials afterwards a little harsher.
While it might not shorten the game by much, I would like to see a TV timeout (even a long one) following the first change of possession after the midway point of each quarter. Concentrate the commercials in that space and do away with the random tv timeouts throughout the game. At least fans could head to the restroom or concession stands at a predictable time and the flow of the game wouldn't be constantly interrupted.

I would love to see the NCAA ( or the B1G) put two officials in the press box to handle the replay process from start to finish. Let them decide when to review and the outcome. No need for the officials on the field to come to the sideline and no tv timeouts extending the process. The length of time it takes for each replay now is ridiculous. Also, only review for targeting if the official on the field makes the call immediately. If it's not blatant enough to call immediately then let it go. Only review to overturn/ confirm an actual flag.

Dinardo said this is a "home run" hire for MSU, I...disagree, to say the least. I think it's an "infield single" hire, at best. I really like it though, from an IU perspective, because I think it increases our chances of ascending the ranks in the B1G East. Of course I could be wrong, but we'll see.

Dinardo said this is a "home run" hire for MSU, I...disagree, to say the least. I think it's an "infield single" hire, at best. I really like it though, from an IU perspective, because I think it increases our chances of ascending the ranks in the B1G East. Of course I could be wrong, but we'll see.

Looks like he's a standup triple at a minimum to others..

They could have hired Bill Lynch, and you could find 5 big name guys to endorse him.

Tucker seems like a desperate hire. Believe me, he wasn’t some hot coaching commodity. This is a Fred Glass type of move.

Reactions: DGJRieman

& when asked, what do you think they're going to say? The truth?? "Mel has little experience, & considering how he just shit all over his only real recruiting class, I can't imagine kids are going to trust him in the future, LET ALONE their parents, but then again, so did Dantonio shit on his class this year, so he's a perfect match for Michigan State!...." Nope. they won't say that. But hey, look on the bright side: they said Tom Allen was a rushed, bad hire by us, & they turned out to be wrong about that, so....wait, I guess that doesn't help your situation, oh well. Good luck!

Last edited:

Btw, looks like your DL coach just left for a better job. He didn't belong at MSU anyway: he was the only coach that voted against bringing Auston Robertson in. & look, I'm sorry to berate snide comments on you, the undeserving fan, but your school truly deserves it. They had SO many chances to right the ship, do the right things, but they just did not care.

The Eagles in Owensboro has every game anyone can desire on 7 separate televisions. I don't miss the drive at age 64.

They could have hired Bill Lynch, and you could find 5 big name guys to endorse him.

Tucker seems like a desperate hire. Believe me, he wasn’t some hot coaching commodity. This is a Fred Glass type of move.

Please refresh my memory as to the team that Bill Lynch was an assistant and won a P5 Football championship?

Saban hired Tucker as his DB coach at LSU and Alabama. Tressel hired him on the recommendation by Dantonio at OSU. After Alabama won the NC in 2015 and Kirby Smart was hired on at UGA, he hired Tucker as his DC.

All through his collegiate experience he has been surrounded by top level coaches who wanted him on their staff. So tell me again the five P5 coaches that will sing the praises of Bill Lynch as being a member of their staff?

That's good they said nice things, and from what I can gather, he was a very good assistant coach at the programs he worked at. However he's 5-7 as a college coach and won a couple games in the NFL, so the jury is still very much out on whether he will be a good coach or not. I'm sure your optimistic viewpoint is you all just hired the next Nick Saban, and perhaps you did, but there's a long way to go before anyone will really know.

He could very well be hindered from the start with NCAA sanctions, so your fans may need to put some patience on your expectation early. One thing is certain, MSU is proven they will do whatever is necessary to win at all costs and they don't care who they hurt (see Larry Nasser, Mark Dantonio with LJ Scott & et al. and Izzo brushing sex assaults under the rug) along the way. That and a truck load of money does bode well for winning games whether it's doing it the correct way or cheating your arses off. Now I'm certain in your viewpoint your school is as clean as a preachers sheets, but to the rest of us outside the fence, it'll be interesting to see what happens moving forward. Congrats....and good luck.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT