ADVERTISEMENT

Trying to be realistic assessment for 2019

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
Im an open believer in the “Allen Process” and think IU is close to that illusive breakthrough. After First year, change was S&C coaches. After This year it’s new OC. And actually a new DC with Allen being just HC. Recruiting is strong for two stacked classes now. And think our 4-star QB play/potential is something people underestimate how important that can be.

OL - I think IU has more size than we used to have, both height (the 6’4 & taller) and weight (300lb & up) to compete with big boys. Question will be can they play at top of B10 level?

OC + weapons. I think the QB, RB’s, WR’s, & TE talent is there’re to score to that of best of Wilson era, and hat DeBoer will be great. I also think OL‘s have a tendency to play better when they see results of playmakers paying off. Hence, bullish.

DB’s - I cant shake the old DB’s IU used to have that we’re not great athletes & got beat deep often. The one corner who was a baseball player who coaches found from intramural football! Loved his heart, but the Brownsburg safety who just made an AFL team got burned deep way too often.

I love the group we have now and coming in. Think there’s potential to have elite DB units ahead bc we have stud athletes.

LB’s - lot of youth but also similar to DB’s, think has potential to exceed Tegray/Oliver & recent LBs, because more depth and I think more size & athleticism too. But definitely still a work in progress evolving.

DL - currently biggest question but I like the talent coming in this year. Think there will be good DE play as many experienced players (or young guns who played as FR) coming back. Besides J Johnson, not sure I’m as bullish on DT’s returning, but hope Harris can slide right in to contribute early. The 4 incoming FR have potential to be beasts over their careers, but it’s always a risk to have to rely on FR in the trenches. TBD

Looking for Allen to blossom in HC only role to have a bigger picture focus. Optimistic for both new coordinators, especially DeBoer. Need BIG improvement from Special Teams, but P & K talent is great.

I’m going with improved offense giving more rest to an improving defense (if DL can be productive) will lead to bowl this year.

With that, a third stacking of a strong recruiting class and evolution of young talent as upperclassmen ahead & see IU bowling for foreseeable future. QB play is the difference that will make a difference!

Im an open believer in the “Allen Process” and think IU is close to that illusive breakthrough. After First year, change was S&C coaches. After This year it’s new OC. And actually a new DC with Allen being just HC. Recruiting is strong for two stacked classes now. And think our 4-star QB play/potential is something people underestimate how important that can be.

OL - I think IU has more size than we used to have, both height (the 6’4 & taller) and weight (300lb & up) to compete with big boys. Question will be can they play at top of B10 level?

OC + weapons. I think the QB, RB’s, WR’s, & TE talent is there’re to score to that of best of Wilson era, and hat DeBoer will be great. I also think OL‘s have a tendency to play better when they see results of playmakers paying off. Hence, bullish.

DB’s - I cant shake the old DB’s IU used to have that we’re not great athletes & got beat deep often. The one corner who was a baseball player who coaches found from intramural football! Loved his heart, but the Brownsburg safety who just made an AFL team got burned deep way too often.

I love the group we have now and coming in. Think there’s potential to have elite DB units ahead bc we have stud athletes.

LB’s - lot of youth but also similar to DB’s, think has potential to exceed Tegray/Oliver & recent LBs, because more depth and I think more size & athleticism too. But definitely still a work in progress evolving.

DL - currently biggest question but I like the talent coming in this year. Think there will be good DE play as many experienced players (or young guns who played as FR) coming back. Besides J Johnson, not sure I’m as bullish on DT’s returning, but hope Harris can slide right in to contribute early. The 4 incoming FR have potential to be beasts over their careers, but it’s always a risk to have to rely on FR in the trenches. TBD

Looking for Allen to blossom in HC only role to have a bigger picture focus. Optimistic for both new coordinators, especially DeBoer. Need BIG improvement from Special Teams, but P & K talent is great.

I’m going with improved offense giving more rest to an improving defense (if DL can be productive) will lead to bowl this year.

With that, a third stacking of a strong recruiting class and evolution of young talent as upperclassmen ahead & see IU bowling for foreseeable future. QB play is the difference that will make a difference!
I agree with most of what you said.

The RBs even though they are young I think they can be pretty good.

I’m not quite as bullish on the WRs as you are. I do not think they are as good as Cody and Kofi group, but they can service.

A lot of the talent is still young and learning to play college fb. And the offense will be learning how to play DeBoer’s style. But we are generally getting to the point where we have a B1G level team at most positions. Hopefully that means we don’t have to have something miraculous happen to win a few games in that league.

I’ll go with sneaking into a bowl this year with much improvement for 2020.

Umm..I agree with some things. I agree that QB play will make, or COULD make all the difference, as with any football team. Overall though .I must say how concerned I am that we played, I would say the poorest we have since 2014 last season, & in '14 losing our only viable QB was the reason. Last year, we just were'nt as good a football team overall as we've been the last several years, & that bothers me, especially defensively. This is a make or break year for me, in regards to what I just said; we have to take steps forward in 2019, we must improve & be a better team, regardless of record, really. I gotta' see some hope, becasue last year was discouraging. I know we were limited in terms of personnel on defense, but as a good defensive coach, those are the teams & situations in which you overacheive, AT LEAST by season's end. We did nothing of the sort. That can't happen again.

Reactions: IUgradman
OC + weapons. I think the QB, RB’s, WR’s, & TE talent is there’re to score to that of best of Wilson era,
The Wilson era included two Top 15 (nationally) offenses. I don't think it's realistic to expect that kind of production anytime soon, but I do think our offense has the potential to be very effective and, at times, explosive.

The Wilson era included two Top 15 (nationally) offenses. I don't think it's realistic to expect that kind of production anytime soon, but I do think our offense has the potential to be very effective and, at times, explosive.
Candidly don’t recall two top 15 offenses. Must have clearly been pre-Allen, which speaks to how poor the defenses were!

I like DeBoer and what He’s done in the past and what I think he’ll do now. (And that he wanted to be QB coach too!). And I’m bullish on Penix too!

I don't always succeed, but generally try to be realistic when looking at my favorite teams in the preseason (IU, Colts, Reds).

The last 2 years i have predicted IUFB to be 5-7 and unfortunately I was right. I still think we are a year away from that true breakthrough type season, getting 8 wins, winning a bowl game etc.

With that being said, I like the coaching staff adjustments, and the stacking of talent in the recruiting classes. I think 6 wins is very realistic this year. The three nonconference games are very winnable. Rutger at home should be a win. A win vs Maryland, Nebraska, or Purdue on the road isn't far fetched.

I don't always succeed, but generally try to be realistic when looking at my favorite teams in the preseason (IU, Colts, Reds).

The last 2 years i have predicted IUFB to be 5-7 and unfortunately I was right. I still think we are a year away from that true breakthrough type season, getting 8 wins, winning a bowl game etc.

With that being said, I like the coaching staff adjustments, and the stacking of talent in the recruiting classes. I think 6 wins is very realistic this year. The three nonconference games are very winnable. Rutger at home should be a win. A win vs Maryland, Nebraska, or Purdue on the road isn't far fetched.
I agree with your sentiment. I, too, think 6 wins will be very possible next year. Here are my most likely wins:
1). FCS Eastern Illinois.
2) UConn.
3) Rutgers
4) Ball State
5) Maryland
6) Purdue
7) Northwestern
8) MSU
9) Nebraska

I think Ball State will be gunning for us in the opener at Lucas Oil. We'll probably win, but it will be more of a fight than Rutgers at home.

As always, we have to beat Purdue on the path to a bowl. @Purdue will be easier than NW at home or @Nebraska.

Northwestern is beatable as they lost to Akron last year (an Akron team that fired their HC after the season). But Fitz teams always improve as the season moves on.

We always play MSU close. Will be the same in 2019.

Scott Frost's year 2 at UCF was tremendous and Nebraska will be much better in 2019 than 2018. Will our defense keep up with their offense? Not likely, I'm afraid. Tough draw out of the West this year. Would much rather play Minny and Illinois at home than travel to Nebraska.

IU has played teams tough over the past few years but have been missing players that know how to win when the game is on the line. What separates out teams that are competitive and teams that have winning records are making plays to win games that are on the line. Not every player is that type of player and I have found a team only has a few that can win games.

Does IU have a receiver that makes the tough catch in the end zone with little time on the clock by getting open and holding one to the ball when challenged? Do we have a RB that finds the seam or makes a defender miss to get into the end zone. Does the OL make the blocks needed to have a successful play when a defense is dug in to stop them. Do we have a QB that can make a throw that lets our receiver beat the defender to make the catch?

You can go through the defense at each level and ask the same thing IE who on the DL makes the sack or run stop, etc. If IU has players capable of winning games we could look at a season with 8 or 9 wins but I expect more along the lines of 6 wins.

I think it is universally agreed Rutgers and Illinois are the two worst teams in the B1G.

We don't play U of I. I expect to beat RU. I don't expect an easy game against them. Their D seemed to play very well as the season went on last year. I'd love to see another blowout like we had against them in 2017 but will settle for a 17-6 win.

I think 4-8 is the floor for this year. The three nonconference games and Rutger at home should be wins.

OSU will be incredibly talented, but with a new coach won't be invincible. Nebraska should be improved, but I am not putting it down as an automatic loss.

At the end of the day our best chance is to get 2 out of Maryland (another new coach), Nebraska, Northwestern, and Purdue.

Brohm has done a really nice job, and they have a ton of talent at their skill positions. But ...a lot of question marks up and down the roster.

They have to find out if they have a QB, they lost 2 running backs than always ran really hard, and a big question is the oline. I think Jones and Knox are going to be missed. They ran with so much power and violence they kept the offense ahead of the chains often.

Defense graduated a lot of experience the last 2 years, and I think they are really thin at LB.

Last edited:

Good assessments. In college football you win more than you loose if you have solid OL and DL talent with depth and good QB. I still feel like we aren't where we need to be depth wise along the OL and DL, but we are getting much closer. Probably still another recruiting cycle or two away from me being comfortable with the lines in terms of depth. As for QB, if Tuttle gains eligibility, I think he starts. If he doesn't then it'll come down to if Penix truly is recovered or not.

As for predictions, I think 6 wins are attainable this season if we can get the OL and DL play we need. I think any of the QBs on the roster, with solid line play, are capable of winning 6 games. We are good on skill positions on offense and we have several options at LB and DB.

The Hoosiers can beat any team on their schedule next year. O$U is early, at home and under a new coach with a loss of a lot of experience and talent. The Buckeyes have had two blow out losses over the last two years to mediocre Purdue (6-7) and Iowa (8-5). Last year they had a 1 point over time win against a 5-7 Maryland team, a 5 point win (in Columbus) over a 4-8 Nebraska team and struggled at home against Minn (They only led 20-14 going into the 4th quarter). There is a reason why they did not get an invite to the College Football Playoff. Michigan continues to under perform, and the last two times they visited Bloomington the games went to overtime. MSU is not that impressive, and Penn State is hemorrhaging players, 11 transferred in the off season in addition to losing a number to graduation and the NFL. IU needs to break the mindset that these games are Ls. I would be very surprised if IU does not win at least one game against these opponents next year.

The Hoosiers can beat any team on their schedule next year. O$U is early, at home and under a new coach with a loss of a lot of experience and talent. The Buckeyes have had two blow out losses over the last two years to mediocre Purdue (6-7) and Iowa (8-5). Last year they had a 1 point over time win against a 5-7 Maryland team, a 5 point win (in Columbus) over a 4-8 Nebraska team and struggled at home against Minn (They only led 20-14 going into the 4th quarter). There is a reason why they did not get an invite to the College Football Playoff. Michigan continues to under perform, and the last two times they visited Bloomington the games went to overtime. MSU is not that impressive, and Penn State is hemorrhaging players, 11 transferred in the off season in addition to losing a number to graduation and the NFL. IU needs to break the mindset that these games are Ls. I would be very surprised if IU does not win at least one game against these opponents next year.
Bullish...but I like it. Think QB play will be better this year (talent, experience, working with OC), think new OC will be more dynamic. Believe Defense will be better due to athleticism and experience coming back. And think S/C program will have both lines bigger/faster and ready to be top tier B10 talent worthy to compete!

Once again I will go with with 6-6. I would be much more surprised with a wins rather than eight losses. And yes, CTA continues to improve the program.

Reactions: Hoosiersfan2018
At the end of last season my thinking was without any changes 4-8 was likely. With the staff changes and the possibility of Tuttle being eligible I think it opens up the bowl picture. I will say 6-6. If things click it could be better and if it takes awhile to implement things it could be worse. In any event I think the talent and balance of the roster Allen is building is going to pay bigger dividends in another year or two.

We cant just rely on beating 6 mediocre teams. We need to go beat good teams. And compete on the road.

Why not go into Lincoln or East Lansing and win? Or Happy Valley? Hell, Kentucky beat PSU easily on a Neutral site.

Reactions: td75 and vesuvius13
We cant just rely on beating 6 mediocre teams. We need to go beat good teams. And compete on the road.

Why not go into Lincoln or East Lansing and win? Or Happy Valley? Hell, Kentucky beat PSU easily on a Neutral site.
It took 6 years of recruiting for KY to get good enough to beat PSU. IU has been close to doing it to the top teams in the B1G but need enough depth and players that make winning plays. It would be great to win 8 or more games in 2019 but the defense will be very young again so it may be a year too soon to win 8 games.

Reactions: ESalum86 and 76-1
Indiana needs to have expectations AND then meet those expectations. We sit here every year and hope and pray for 6 lousy wins, that's really pitiful.

Do something, go beat Michigan, make it happen, make a game winning play. Indiana is their own worst enemy, have been for years because they go into most conference games with a horrible outlook.

We will not go bowling until we field B1G level Offensive and Defensive capable lines. Still not sure we have enough talent in the trenches yet. Sure could have used some of the Big Boy O-linemen we whiffed on this past recruitment.
I hope these young men prove me wrong. There is only so much the skill guys can cover up. If you look at the winners in this league they all field good linemen. CTA and staff need to step it up on Line recruits and their development. This takes time and I am cautiously optimistic that they will get it done.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Indiana needs to have expectations AND then meet those expectations. We sit here every year and hope and pray for 6 lousy wins, that's really pitiful.

Do something, go beat Michigan, make it happen, make a game winning play. Indiana is their own worst enemy, have been for years because they go into most conference games with a horrible outlook.

I'm pretty certain the team's goal is to win every game. It's the fans who set the bar in the middle.

Indiana is their own worst enemy, have been for years because they go into most conference games with a horrible outlook.
I'm scratching my head over this one. 12:16 am post, so maybe that explains it.

Totally agree on hoping for 6 lousy wins which means 3 pudding and pie non conference victories and 3 and 6 in the Big Ten

Everyone agrees/wants to expect more and win more than 6 games. Do think the O-Line may have the beef this year to be solid with 3 seniors starting. I also think the depth - one year older - may offer good competition there too for the other 2 spots and back ups.

D-Line - feel good about the DE's, think there are 4-5 guys who can rotate among the 2 spots and be effective. It's the 2 interior spots that may ultimately be a year away, due to so many true FR this year who "may" have to contribute. Starters of J Johnson and Harris are probably competitive with most. It's the rotation behind them I just candidly don't know.

But think the LB & DB athleticism and talent is B10 competitive worthy and may be able to make more plays that could hopefully get D off the field sooner.

Offense: bullish about new OC, RB's, TEs & WR talent that given respectable play at QB (which I hope will be Penix who I think can air it out) I'd bet the O-line will be solid enough to give enough time or enough holes for the talent to make good things happen.

IU has been truly competitive with the best teams the last 2-3 years frankly. It's not (to me) like the hill is so mountainous to climb we can't even see the top. UM losses in OT. OSU, D made two stops in 3rd Q where we had them on the ropes, but offense couldn't do anything to score, then it slipped away.

Easier said than done and I'm not delusional. But think the pieces are falling into place with more talent, experienced players coming back and two new, younger coordinators who I think are innovative and will allow Allen to actually be a better HC overall. Excited about what's ahead.

At the end of last season my thinking was without any changes 4-8 was likely. With the staff changes and the possibility of Tuttle being eligible I think it opens up the bowl picture. I will say 6-6. If things click it could be better and if it takes awhile to implement things it could be worse. In any event I think the talent and balance of the roster Allen is building is going to pay bigger dividends in another year or two.

Anything less than 6 wins is a failure. Time to get an upset here or there. Too much bs talk and justifying the defeats. If less than 6 wins, Fred Glass and crew should be run out of town on a rail with Archie behind them carrying the luggage.

Reactions: FireTomAllen
Everyone agrees/wants to expect more and win more than 6 games. Do think the O-Line may have the beef this year to be solid with 3 seniors starting. I also think the depth - one year older - may offer good competition there too for the other 2 spots and back ups.

D-Line - feel good about the DE's, think there are 4-5 guys who can rotate among the 2 spots and be effective. It's the 2 interior spots that may ultimately be a year away, due to so many true FR this year who "may" have to contribute. Starters of J Johnson and Harris are probably competitive with most. It's the rotation behind them I just candidly don't know.

But think the LB & DB athleticism and talent is B10 competitive worthy and may be able to make more plays that could hopefully get D off the field sooner.

Offense: bullish about new OC, RB's, TEs & WR talent that given respectable play at QB (which I hope will be Penix who I think can air it out) I'd bet the O-line will be solid enough to give enough time or enough holes for the talent to make good things happen.

IU has been truly competitive with the best teams the last 2-3 years frankly. It's not (to me) like the hill is so mountainous to climb we can't even see the top. UM losses in OT. OSU, D made two stops in 3rd Q where we had them on the ropes, but offense couldn't do anything to score, then it slipped away.

Easier said than done and I'm not delusional. But think the pieces are falling into place with more talent, experienced players coming back and two new, younger coordinators who I think are innovative and will allow Allen to actually be a better HC overall. Excited about what's ahead.
I agree with most of what you are saying accept for the LBs. I’m not sold that Jones is a Big Ten level stinger and we don’t even have much to back him up. If we have to depend on Allen for the mike we may be in trouble. Possibly McFadden will step up there but again a big fall off to backup. We may be depending on some very young guys to get us where we need to be in this area.

I agree with most of what you are saying accept for the LBs. I’m not sold that Jones is a Big Ten level stinger and we don’t even have much to back him up. If we have to depend on Allen for the mike we may be in trouble. Possibly McFadden will step up there but again a big fall off to backup. We may be depending on some very young guys to get us where we need to be in this area.
Agree. I think our biggest concern is the lack of experience and depth at D-tackle and linebacker (except husky). I would love for us to find a couple of transfers or jucos for help at those positions. If nothing changes, we could really be hurt by any significant injuries there and neither is a position where freshmen are likely to be of immediate help.

Anything less than 6 wins is a failure. Time to get an upset here or there. Too much bs talk and justifying the defeats. If less than 6 wins, Fred Glass and crew should be run out of town on a rail with Archie behind them carrying the luggage.

Let me get this straight. if the football team does not qualify for a bowl game next season the basketball coach should be fired.

None of those bad Buckeye performances came while their new coach was at the helm. Given all his problems they could very well be much better under a coach minus the baggage and less distracted than they were under Meyer!

None of those bad Buckeye performances came while their new coach was at the helm. Given all his problems they could very well be much better under a coach minus the baggage and less distracted than they were under Meyer!
Maybe...but I'm not sure a new coach is going to come in an go lights out way better than Urban, who though had his issues, has had a record right up there with Nick Saban (minus as many national championships).

Maybe...but I'm not sure a new coach is going to come in an go lights out way better than Urban, who though had his issues, has had a record right up there with Nick Saban (minus as many national championships).

I was talking about the Urban of the last two years who battled illness and well documented internal scandals which almost certainly affects his performance as CEO of Buckeye football. His successor, like the Stoops’s protege in Norman, brings enthusiasm and energy and clearly, like McVay in Los Angeles have demonstrated youth will be served!

We keep landing 4 star QBs and RBs.

Where we need to land them is at OT, DE, and DT.
That's much easier said than done. You can sell skill players on early playing time, or on the offense you run, promising them to be a featured player, getting lots of touches, etc. Individual glory stuff.

Linemen know there's no individual glory. They want to play on winning teams and go to top bowl games. The best know they will get early PT even at the best places. The other really good ones know going in they are likely to redshirt and still play four years. Places like Stanford and Northwestern can attract some top linemen via academics.

I think great line play at IU is about identifying late bloomers, getting the best in-state kids, and having coaches that these kids genuinely want to play for. I think position coaches are more important in recruiting linemen than anything else.

Skill players really are a dime a dozen with a handful of exceptions. Dominant linemen are a rare species. It's a challenge to find those diamonds in the rough. The best recruiting tool you have is to have the linemen already in your program selling recruits on how good it is to be here.

I'm at a loss here on al the OL talk. We are not gonna start recruiting 4 and 5 star guys on the OL unless we bowl and win consistently for awhile. Even Northwestern, Wiscy, Iowa don't get 4 and 5 star studs. Penn State has 3 star guys across the board just like we do NOT ONE 4 or 5 star lineman! Michigan State has 1 4 star OL and the rest 3 star.

Our OL produced a 1000 plus yard rusher last year as a freshman. I've seen bad OL and Peyton Ramsey was not running for his life and getting bullrushed. With him in the game the defensive box was closer to the LOS because we weren't taking shots (Peytons fault). Once we started too at the end of the year things loosened up.

Minny, psu and purdue should have been wins and that is on the coaching staff. In the purdue game we stopped running the ball and started throwing after Stevie was blowing those guys up. The Minny game we didn't start throwing deep until we had too and caught back up. The PSU game Penix got hurt.

The OL IMO is fine. The DL we are recruiting for and will be rotating a ton this year.

The coach with the most pressure is Womack. Our defense sucked ballsacks last year. That better get fixed quick!

Speculation at this point is useless. We won't know what we have until the Ball State game.

The spring game??? I'm so sick of coaches playing vanilla a$$ bullsh!t football coz they are afraid of giving things away. Maybe if we launched a ton of balls in the spring game defenses would say "ohhh god we better get back IU throws deep". There goes Stevie for 20!

Whatevs.

If talking it into existence was all it took coaches wouldn’t be paid millions of dollars. That’s a simple minded approach. We are getting closer but to say go beat Michigan like it’s no big deal is unrealistic at this point.. we haven’t beat them in my lifetime.

For the love of all things holy haven't we learned changing coaches every 3 - 5 years doesn't work?! Everyone points to Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern and UK. How long have their coaches been there? Use your friggin' heads, people. We need continuity. CKW went bowling in years 5 & 6 but we are dealing with the reprecussions of his lack of recruiting in those bowl seasons. We only have, what, 14 final year of eligibility players in 2019? To paraphrase Samuel L. Jackson: "...patience, mother truckers."

For the love of all things holy haven't we learned changing coaches every 3 - 5 years doesn't work?! Everyone points to Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern and UK. How long have their coaches been there? Use your friggin' heads, people. We need continuity. CKW went bowling in years 5 & 6 but we are dealing with the reprecussions of his lack of recruiting in those bowl seasons. We only have, what, 14 final year of eligibility players in 2019? To paraphrase Samuel L. Jackson: "...patience, mother truckers."
My momma always says " good things comes to those who wait" in most cases I would say this is a load of horse crap. When it comes to college football and recruiting... patience is key! Especially with seeing the type of recruits CTA is bringing in.

Reactions: 76-1 and ESalum86
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT