ADVERTISEMENT

Try and Tell Me - Go On

I saw Sly Stone in Assembly Hall. A
good friend from Rockport was on the student athletic board and got us seats on the floor in folding chairs on the 12 row. Oh my god. I really felt like the entire sold out venue was descending on us from the balcony. It is still that way for basketball which is why I find it hard to believe we can't find someone that can win with that advantage.

Reactions: Tokyo Steve
good friend from Rockport was on the student athletic board and got us seats on the floor in folding chairs on the 12 row. Oh my god. I really felt like the entire sold out venue was descending on us from the balcony. It is still that way for basketball which is why I find it hard to believe we can't find someone that can win with that advantage.
Somewhat similar story:
A friend was going to give me two tickets to see Yes but then decided the day of the concert that he could make it to Bloomington after all. Dejected, I trudged from McNutt over to Assembly Hall to see if there was any way to get any tickets. The show was "in the round" and it turned out that someone had miscalculated the configuration inside the Hall. So, at the last minute they added several rows . . . IN THE FRONT! We sat in row five.

This is what I want to hear someday, when the song title is actually applicable. And, ok, I'm already anticipating a reply to this post so I'll save you the trouble - - "Dream On" (Aerosmith).

The only problem is that if IU made a change to music instead of their lame adds they would be playing Gangsta Rap like they do before basketball games. No thanks.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Somewhat similar story:
A friend was going to give me two tickets to see Yes but then decided the day of the concert that he could make it to Bloomington after all. Dejected, I trudged from McNutt over to Assembly Hall to see if there was any way to get any tickets. The show was "in the round" and it turned out that someone had miscalculated the configuration inside the Hall. So, at the last minute they added several rows . . . IN THE FRONT! We sat in row five.

not a huge Yes fan, but i was at that one also.

also saw Neil Young, ELO, Hall & Oats, (opened for ELO), Kansas, Temptations/Jackson 5 (free i think, maybe little 5 jamboree), at AH.

The only problem is that if IU made a change to music instead of their lame adds they would be playing Gangsta Rap like they do before basketball games. No thanks.

i'm curious just how much IU makes per yr on advertising during bball and fball games.

hey, i love gangsta rap...in my car, or at home when my kids are at school. not at the damn game

not a huge Yes fan, but i was at that one also.

also saw Neil Young, ELO, Hall & Oats, (opened for ELO), Kansas, Temptations/Jackson 5 (free i think, maybe little 5 jamboree), at AH.
kansas fronted by head east, my first rock concert ever. ft wayne 1976

Somewhat similar story:

I'm incredibly jealous

Somewhat similar story:

My Bloomington shows were ShaNaNa, The Grateful Dead, The Pointer Sisters, Leon, and JJ Cale.

Saw Bill Cosby too, but he didn’t sing.

Isn't this material a little dated? Not that I don't know it but that ain't gonna work...

The ShaNaNaNa was a great show..

caught ShaNaNa in Terre Haute at the Hulman. (opening might have been Dave Loggins).

good show.

caught a 50s 60s band that night at a TH bar, and they were absolutely great as well. (maybe Myron and The Vandells).

besides the AH shows listed above i've caught over the yrs, other Btown shows i've caught,

Johnny Mathis

The Grassroots

The Lettermen

The Turtles

Quarterflash

Peter Gabriel

all at IU Auditorium

The Box Tops

Archie Bell and The Drells

both at the HPER big room, both free.

The Buckinghams

set up in the parking lot west of Memorial Stadium, pre AH being built. also free

REO Speedwagon pre Kevin Cronin, at the skating rink next to now Bloomington South HS.

was supposed to be Paul Revere and The Raiders, but they didn't show. REO was unscheduled replacement.

The Guess Who and Blood Sweat and Tears, at the 17th st field house.

an interesting list of venues anyway.

back in the 60s, IU used to do a free concert every yr for Little 5 weekend.

think they called the whole Little 5 expanded experience. The Jamboree.

they also brought in pro golfers for it a few yrs, to give an exhibition at the IU golf Course.

Isn't this material a little dated? Not that I don't know it but that ain't gonna work...

There's no way to prove it but I'd be willing to wager that 70% of those AT THE GAME are 50 and over.. or at least over 45. And, at least 25% are 60+... Seriously. So no, I don't think it's dated for those who go to the games and stay past half time. They're the ones paying the freight, not the 25-45 demo. Also, my 30-something kids enjoy hearing my era's "party music" much more than me and my friends can stand listening to the more current era's music.. and they fully understand that.

Reactions: 76-1
There's no way to prove it but I'd be willing to wager that 70% of those AT THE GAME are 50 and over.. or at least over 45. And, at least 25% are 60+... Seriously. So no, I don't think it's dated for those who go to the games and stay past half time. They're the ones paying the freight, not the 25-45 demo. Also, my 30-something kids enjoy hearing my era's "party music" much more than me and my friends can stand listening to the more current era's music.. and they fully understand that.

your era's party music is way better than today's.

football has priced out a lot of area people and families.

Thats your opinion. Most of that doesn't fly. Ive never walked into a party and heard that stuff cranking. For instance tonight at Muldoons in Carmel. The tent had a great band, all good singers, and they played AC/DC, Kiss, Whitney Houston, Pharrel, Usher, Bruno Mars and that tent was rockin!! Not my kinda stuff but it was fun!

Personally I prefer PUNK, Ska, Funk, Liquid, Bossa Nova, Chill Jazz, Reggae, Southern Rock, Hip Hop, and such. Gimmee Beasties, Ramones, KC& the Sunshine Band, Sublime, Bounty Killer, Bad Manners and such.

If a girl can't shake her ass to it I don't wanna hear it.

I could get into serious sh!t here. BUT I've seen the Four Tops, Sly, War, Rose Royce, ETC. ETC. Like it all but not gonna get a crowd goin. JMHO

Funny though I went to an Iowa State game with a Bunch of Colorado fans and they sang Sweet Caroline at the top of their lungs at halftime and it was awesome. To each his own

Last edited:
Sha Na Na was an original punk source and some stuff was awesome. Kinks and Frankie Valli Maryanne too but idk.

I was at the Ball State game and a rapper Mac Miller died earlier in the week. Most of you are like who's Mac Miller? They played one of his tunes as a tribute and the entire student section was singin it loud! It was a nice moment. So while I appreciate the older music from which I was raised I keep up with the new stuff as well.

For Instance and this is JMHO Jack White...Since I've been alive (born in 60) their has never been a artist like this cat! Has several bands and several sounds. Been compared to Hendrix.

One of his early songs you prolly know.

And this Bond Tune. One of the best since Shirley Bassey

Anyways jus sayin

Reactions: ESalum86
Sha Na Na was an original punk source and some stuff was awesome. Kinks and Frankie Valli Maryanne too but idk.

I was at the Ball State game and a rapper Mac Miller died earlier in the week. Most of you are like who's Mac Miller? They played one of his tunes as a tribute and the entire student section was singin it loud! It was a nice moment. So while I appreciate the older music from which I was raised I keep up with the new stuff as well.

For Instance and this is JMHO Jack White...Since I've been alive (born in 60) their has never been a artist like this cat! Has several bands and several sounds. Been compared to Hendrix.

One of his early songs you prolly know.

And this Bond Tune. One of the best since Shirley Bassey

Anyways jus sayin

I don’t think this would go over at a ballgame, but I like it.

I checked in to a football forum but somehow ended up in a conversation from the nursing home lol. I'm old and prefer classic rock but my grand kids hate it. Catering to geezers wont fly, the focus should be on college age kids. Get the kids interested and in the seats and that will get them to build their own tradition and hopefully continue all the way to the next generation.

ADVERTISEMENT